Author Topic: Things You Are Not Stoked On  (Read 1880848 times)

35mm and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: Things You Are Not Stoked On
« Reply #22830 on: November 27, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »
Feel like I'm always being made apologize over something. Feel like the only times that I let myself relax and be myself, I'm made to feel like there's something wrong with me. I really make an effort to be positive and agreeable with the people in my life but I always end up feeling like I'm either not being true to myself or I end up putting someone off.

Lately I'm thankful that I can express myself on a semi-anonymous message board about the skateboarding industry.

sometimes it's helpful to show people your non-agreeable side, it can free up a lot of space, and seeing their reactions can help you make up your mind about them when you're unsure. but it's gnarly territory, for sure. you should never feel like you should apologize for being yourself though, only when you feel like you harmed people. friends need to be able to take the uncomfortable sides of ones personalities, too, to some extent at least. and that people might not love every aspect of you doesn't mean they don't love you.

i don't know if this all helps or makes a lot of sense, it's what came to my mind. never apologize for being yourself, you're awesome homie. that means you're probably awesome even when you're a dick. which is better than being an asshole that's a dick. lol

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #22831 on: November 27, 2020, 01:11:00 PM »
good advice.  i struggle with this too.  its all about boundaries.  start to learn to value yourself and try putting yourself and your happiness first.  Its hard, but it gets easier and feels better over time.  A lot of times when we have weak boundaries, its a way of avoidance.  Being overly agreeable, compliant, fixing others problems and putting others before ourselves, etc takes the focus off of doing whats best for us and puts it on other people.  It makes you feel good because youre making a sacrifice, but eventually people take advantage and you become resentful.  stand your ground, be your true self, and if certain people cant handle it, its a good indication that the relationship isn't serving you and its ok to move on
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22832 on: November 27, 2020, 01:48:53 PM »
Had to pay $70 to get my fingerprints for my new job even though at my last job they didnt charge me for that.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #22833 on: November 27, 2020, 04:29:34 PM »
I got a huge gob of lipstick on my grip in one of the most crackhead infested skatespots in Lynn.

I have no idea how to remove it.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Grind King Rims

« Reply #22834 on: November 27, 2020, 05:12:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Feel like I'm always being made apologize over something. Feel like the only times that I let myself relax and be myself, I'm made to feel like there's something wrong with me. I really make an effort to be positive and agreeable with the people in my life but I always end up feeling like I'm either not being true to myself or I end up putting someone off.

Lately I'm thankful that I can express myself on a semi-anonymous message board about the skateboarding industry.

[close]
sometimes it's helpful to show people your non-agreeable side, it can free up a lot of space, and seeing their reactions can help you make up your mind about them when you're unsure. but it's gnarly territory, for sure. you should never feel like you should apologize for being yourself though, only when you feel like you harmed people. friends need to be able to take the uncomfortable sides of ones personalities, too, to some extent at least. and that people might not love every aspect of you doesn't mean they don't love you.

i don't know if this all helps or makes a lot of sense, it's what came to my mind. never apologize for being yourself, you're awesome homie. that means you're probably awesome even when you're a dick. which is better than being an asshole that's a dick. lol

Thanks Frank and also @augustmoon . I might not fully understand, but I won't just take this is just yes-man-ing.

In vague terms, I love the people in my life and I don't want to be argumentative but I also don't want to be a push-over. I have absolutely no issue with apologizing when I feel like I've done wrong and upset someone. On the other hand, I actually would have an issue with voicing when someone has upset me, or when I disagree with someone.

Simply put, I think I want to start to make more conscious life decisions for my own benefit. In the past I've valued the loyalty of my friends too much and need to make healthy decisions for myself more.

Thanks lads.

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #22835 on: November 27, 2020, 05:30:46 PM »
My coldsore is gone. It didnt even say bye so rude bro

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #22836 on: November 27, 2020, 05:49:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks Frank and also @augustmoon . I might not fully understand, but I won't just take this is just yes-man-ing.

In vague terms, I love the people in my life and I don't want to be argumentative but I also don't want to be a push-over. I have absolutely no issue with apologizing when I feel like I've done wrong and upset someone. On the other hand, I actually would have an issue with voicing when someone has upset me, or when I disagree with someone.

Simply put, I think I want to start to make more conscious life decisions for my own benefit. In the past I've valued the loyalty of my friends too much and need to make healthy decisions for myself more.

Thanks lads.

i think recognizing that in yourself is a big step.  just practice being more assertive, small things at first, and it will get better and easier over time. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #22837 on: November 27, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
I hate being right.

War with Iran is on. The only thing that could have kept orange dude in the seat is a war.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22838 on: November 28, 2020, 05:38:37 AM »
One of my friends has been posting a heap of these "if you feel alone, you're not" and "if you need to talk, reach out" posts and collecting a heap of "well said dude" style replies.

He messaged me recently as he knows my parents and I kinda told him that I've had a tough time recently with my mum's dementia and not being able to see her due to the current state of events  and all I really got was a "Yea that sucks, you know life and shit happens" reply. Then a bunch of "this is whats happening with me" and bitching about his ex wife.

When you live overseas you'll talk to anyone who knows your family or where you grew up from during an extreme home sickness bout, this is literally one of the people who a quick chat with would make a world of difference.

It just seems to me he's trivializing the entire thing.   
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #22839 on: November 28, 2020, 02:24:07 PM »
One of my friends has been posting a heap of these "if you feel alone, you're not" and "if you need to talk, reach out" posts and collecting a heap of "well said dude" style replies.

He messaged me recently as he knows my parents and I kinda told him that I've had a tough time recently with my mum's dementia and not being able to see her due to the current state of events  and all I really got was a "Yea that sucks, you know life and shit happens" reply. Then a bunch of "this is whats happening with me" and bitching about his ex wife.

When you live overseas you'll talk to anyone who knows your family or where you grew up from during an extreme home sickness bout, this is literally one of the people who a quick chat with would make a world of difference.

It just seems to me he's trivializing the entire thing.

I absolutely hate when people do this. The whole "reach out to me" spiel may seem well intended on a surface level but it's completely hollow and self-congratulatory in practice. It shouldn't be the responsibility of someone who is suffering to reach out first. 

If you have the slightest indication that someone you care about is struggling and needs help, be the one to reach out first. After losing a few close friends to suicide, I learned this the hard way.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #22840 on: November 29, 2020, 02:38:04 AM »
I hate being right.

War with Iran is on. The only thing that could have kept orange dude in the seat is a war.

We've been at war for the last 19 years.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #22841 on: November 29, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »
Goddamn my beard is going grey fast.

TumKayo

« Reply #22842 on: November 29, 2020, 09:54:32 AM »
New covid lockdowns in SF. Of course they kept everything open for Black Friday.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:06:32 PM by TumKayo »

theSketchLord

• https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22843 on: November 29, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »

A little bit of grey always looks dope.
Gives you that "Silver fox" look.

rock2fakie

• Rep: 7
« Reply #22844 on: November 30, 2020, 04:20:37 AM »
One of my closest friends from uni is going through a psychotic episode again.. His second one since Oct '19. It sucks because he gets super hostile towards people who don't agree with his delusions and resents everyone that tried to help him last year (he ended up in a ward). Makes it pretty impossible to help him. He was doing better earlier this year but refuses to give up weed and other drugs and is in complete denial that these things play a factor in his mental health and predisposition for psychotic episodes. It's super frustrating and kind of heart breaking, I don't think I will ever get the friend I had in uni back to be honest.

theSketchLord

« Reply #22845 on: November 30, 2020, 07:22:18 AM »
I got those vertical lines on my phone, looked into a solution and it seemed to be a factory reset would sort it...

Nope, just the same lines and a whole heap of ball ache setting it all back up.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #22846 on: November 30, 2020, 07:29:17 AM »
Just found out yesterday the warehouse some homies and I were renting for the winters got sold and we have to be out TODAY. There's no possible way to get everything we built out in time. Now its a rush to try and find a new space as well

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #22847 on: November 30, 2020, 12:50:31 PM »
My spending was higher than I expected this year. Some of these costs can be explained away as simple one time costs and my insurance company owes me a decent amount (I need to fill out forms to get this money), but I feel like I should have saved a little more this year.

When I was in grad school, I was living off 17K per year relatively easily... Today, I have no idea how I paid my rent, bought food, always had a new board, etc. with an income of 17K.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #22848 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:06 AM »
My spending was higher than I expected this year. Some of these costs can be explained away as simple one time costs and my insurance company owes me a decent amount (I need to fill out forms to get this money), but I feel like I should have saved a little more this year.

When I was in grad school, I was living off 17K per year relatively easily... Today, I have no idea how I paid my rent, bought food, always had a new board, etc. with an income of 17K.

I lived similarly until moving in with my partner. I now eat more than rice, beans, and eggs. Rent is 300/month higher. No more food stamps. End up spending more because we do shit together. I'm mean, I'm stoked to be living with her, but my savings have dropped for real.

Expand Quote
[close]

A little bit of grey always looks dope.
Gives you that "Silver fox" look.

I realized this year that I no longer look like I'm in my 20s. Grey as fuck.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #22849 on: December 01, 2020, 01:25:34 PM »
Weighed myself this morning. Heaviest I’ve ever been and we aren’t even deep in to winter. It’s 1000% my diet. I can’t imaging how bad it’d be if I still drank like I used to.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #22850 on: December 01, 2020, 09:22:25 PM »
Weighed myself this morning. Heaviest I’ve ever been and we aren’t even deep in to winter. It’s 1000% my diet. I can’t imaging how bad it’d be if I still drank like I used to.

Do you drink soda? My old manager used to give up soda whenever he was getting a little bit and his weight would drop pretty quickly.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #22851 on: December 02, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
I was tipping 180 a little while back, I looked chunky as fuck. I started intermittent fasting and watching my calorie intake, that on top of skating often and riding my bike here n there made me drop down to the 168-170 region pretty quickly. Now I fluctuate between 167-171 depending on the time of day I weigh myself. My pants fit me again without me muffin topping anymore, I have a lot more energy and stamina, it’s pretty dope.

I have friends who’ve tried the keto diet with good success too, but I could never do it; I love bready foods way too much.

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #22852 on: December 02, 2020, 10:07:21 PM »
homies, it’s been a real bad year for all of us. gaining some weight is extremely normal in high stress situations. don’t let a couple pounds bum you out too much. we all deserve an extra inch or two in our waistlines after this bullshit.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22853 on: December 07, 2020, 07:14:26 AM »
Found an old bottle of piss in a junk pile in my room from when my toilet was fucked up and wasn’t working, must’ve forgotten to throw it out so as I’m taking it to the trash outside my room I trip and drop the bottle and it falls and spills all over my bed and carpet and some clothes I had laying on the ground. Cap must’ve been loose or something cuz it exploded everywhere. Definitely had one of those “so this is my sorry excuse of a life eh?” type moments. Was gonna spend all day skating with friends today cuz is my day off but now I gotta spend it doing multiple loads of laundry and cleaning my carpet and bed  . Will probably still go skate for at least a couple hours but definitely won’t be able to skate all day like I had planned.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #22854 on: December 07, 2020, 11:02:43 AM »
Holiday shopping

Grind King Rims

« Reply #22855 on: December 07, 2020, 01:02:18 PM »
Found an old bottle of piss in a junk pile in my room from when my toilet was fucked up and wasn’t working, must’ve forgotten to throw it out so as I’m taking it to the trash outside my room I trip and drop the bottle and it falls and spills all over my bed and carpet and some clothes I had laying on the ground. Cap must’ve been loose or something cuz it exploded everywhere. Definitely had one of those “so this is my sorry excuse of a life eh?” type moments. Was gonna spend all day skating with friends today cuz is my day off but now I gotta spend it doing multiple loads of laundry and cleaning my carpet and bed  . Will probably still go skate for at least a couple hours but definitely won’t be able to skate all day like I had planned.

That really sucks, but in the future you will look back and laugh because that's so gnarly, hahaha

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #22856 on: December 07, 2020, 02:27:43 PM »

Damn G, piss bottles from wasted nights were the worst. Someone always does it worse than you though! I once woke up after the end of a bender to a wet dresser drawer. I couldn't remember anything but there were no bottles of water or glasses around, so I assumed I pissed in the dresser.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

theSketchLord

« Reply #22857 on: December 08, 2020, 03:38:04 AM »
Bike tyre flatted as I pulled up to the lockers.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #22858 on: December 08, 2020, 05:33:07 AM »
People ODing. Kid next door ODed a few weeks ago. His mom found him with a used syringe and a full syringe on his desk. He passed a week before his 30th birthday. I knew him his whole life. Not much fun holding his oldest brother (good friend of mine) while he cried.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22859 on: December 08, 2020, 07:06:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That really sucks, but in the future you will look back and laugh because that's so gnarly, hahaha
Yeah it honestly ruined the fuck outta my day but as with everything things could’ve been way worse so I tried to look on the bright side even though it was hard. Soaked where I spilled the pee on my bed with water mixed with detergent yesterday. Slept on the floor last night and everything waiting for it to dry, so I got maybe like 2 hours of shitty sleep. Woke up and it was pretty much dry; most of the piss smell went away but some of it is still present. Just gonna buy one of these and put it over it.

Ah, the Big Daddy method; got some sort of stain? Just put a newspaper over it; except in my situation it’s a foam bed mat instead.