Author Topic: Things You Are Not Stoked On  (Read 1884096 times)

BugleBites

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -68
Re: Things You Are Not Stoked On
« Reply #23580 on: September 17, 2021, 03:50:39 PM »
Just finished up school and it was a colossal waste of time and money. I've put off school for decades because I'm genuinely not career minded or into something I could see myself making a career out of, but I finally caved and went for pattern drafting since I recently got back into designing and sewing pants. Didn't learn a damn thing. Whole program was geared towards women's clothing, and it seems that's the norm for all fashion courses I could find. All the females in my class were stoked and learned a lot, while I just had to muscle my way through dumb shit like skirts and dresses that have nothing in common with menswear and I'll never make again.

Huge let down, and after a lifetime of hesitating all I ended up doing was zapping what little motivation I had to design clothing. Destined to just be a broke ass skater.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23581 on: September 17, 2021, 06:51:52 PM »
Just finished up school and it was a colossal waste of time and money. I've put off school for decades because I'm genuinely not career minded or into something I could see myself making a career out of, but I finally caved and went for pattern drafting since I recently got back into designing and sewing pants. Didn't learn a damn thing. Whole program was geared towards women's clothing, and it seems that's the norm for all fashion courses I could find. All the females in my class were stoked and learned a lot, while I just had to muscle my way through dumb shit like skirts and dresses that have nothing in common with menswear and I'll never make again.

Huge let down, and after a lifetime of hesitating all I ended up doing was zapping what little motivation I had to design clothing. Destined to just be a broke ass skater.
Design skate friendly women's wear. You won't have much competition and can corner this niche. Trust me now. Thank me later.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #23582 on: September 17, 2021, 07:26:11 PM »

Sorry, that is a bummer. Seems like there might be a gig out there with the rise of artisanal/craft/maker goods.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 07:39:20 AM by beandemon »

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #23583 on: September 18, 2021, 02:53:19 AM »

Why not enter the competition and start producing mama skate pants at $2600 per pair? $1400 is for the peasants.  -> https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118432.0

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #23584 on: September 18, 2021, 03:49:43 AM »
Got two large crunch wrap supreme meals and I ate like 2/3 of one of the crunch wraps and it’s been like hour and a half so I bet the rest of it is gonna be fucken poison now
Lol it was poison when they made it fresh
listen to cosmic psychos

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #23585 on: September 18, 2021, 05:58:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Design skate friendly women's wear. You won't have much competition and can corner this niche. Trust me now. Thank me later.

This is a great idea BugleBites. Speaking from experience women's clothing is almost always made out of thin materials, and when you eat shit there's a good chance you're ripping something. I've ended sessions with clothing basically hanging off me. I've skated with my underwear completely visible because the back pocket on my jeans was made out of tissue paper. And didn't even realize it. Fucking embarrassing. It's why I wear athletic apparel while skating although I'd rather not. At least the synthetics fibers can handle some abuse.

Women's skateboarding is exploding now too. You'd kill it man, make bank.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #23586 on: September 18, 2021, 06:07:24 AM »
Got two large crunch wrap supreme meals and I ate like 2/3 of one of the crunch wraps and it’s been like hour and a half a half an hour so I bet the rest of it is gonna be fucken poison now
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #23587 on: September 18, 2021, 06:26:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

This is a great idea BugleBites. Speaking from experience women's clothing is almost always made out of thin materials, and when you eat shit there's a good chance you're ripping something. I've ended sessions with clothing basically hanging off me. I've skated with my underwear completely visible because the back pocket on my jeans was made out of tissue paper. And didn't even realize it. Fucking embarrassing. It's why I wear athletic apparel while skating although I'd rather not. At least the synthetics fibers can handle some abuse.

I also think this is a great idea.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #23588 on: September 18, 2021, 06:57:47 AM »
I inaugurated a new deck and it‘s good but always on new set ups my flip game is of. Not stoked as this always sets back my progress for a few weeks until I can take up where I was before the deck change. How do you deal with this?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

BugleBites

« Reply #23589 on: September 18, 2021, 01:24:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

People have been telling me to make women's clothing for years - it just doesn't interest me in the slightest. If I wouldn't wear it myself, I'm not spending my time making it. That's always been my position on clothing design. I'm not actually into fashion at all, I just know how to make pants. Going to school for pattern drafting was sort of a desperate attempt to do SOMETHING, after decades of working jobs that made me miserable. Unfortunately the experience just bummed me out on sewing in general.

Also - walk down any commercial street and count how many women's clothing stores there are vs the men's, if you can even find a menswear specific store. Women have infinite options for clothing in every possible shape and size. They're covered. I'm not trying to just add more women's clothing to the mix. That's honestly the main thing that bummed me out on school - wasting so much time working on women's clothing. It was so hard to muscle my way through all those projects I had literally zero interest in.

Appreciate the response, though. I'm just very set in my ways when it comes to clothing design. I'm only doing it if I'm stoked on what I'm making.

Lil Ricky

• Rep: -216
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #23590 on: September 18, 2021, 01:29:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

People have been telling me to make women's clothing for years - it just doesn't interest me in the slightest. If I wouldn't wear it myself, I'm not spending my time making it. That's always been my position on clothing design. I'm not actually into fashion at all, I just know how to make pants. Going to school for pattern drafting was sort of a desperate attempt to do SOMETHING, after decades of working jobs that made me miserable. Unfortunately the experience just bummed me out on sewing in general.

Also - walk down any commercial street and count how many women's clothing stores there are vs the men's, if you can even find a menswear specific store. Women have infinite options for clothing in every possible shape and size. They're covered. I'm not trying to just add more women's clothing to the mix. That's honestly the main thing that bummed me out on school - wasting so much time working on women's clothing. It was so hard to muscle my way through all those projects I had literally zero interest in.

Appreciate the response, though. I'm just very set in my ways when it comes to clothing design. I'm only doing it if I'm stoked on what I'm making.

Sounds like you already have the skills and vision down. Maybe take some business classes and try to start your own thing up. Don't give up just because fashion school didn't work out. Life is a series of valleys and peaks, sounds like you're in a valley now so that means there's only one way to go! Best of luck :D

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #23591 on: September 18, 2021, 01:41:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Ah, gotcha man. Definitely wasn't trying to tell you what to do. It would suck day in and day out if your heart isn't in it. Hope you find something fulfilling for you out there.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

BugleBites

« Reply #23592 on: September 18, 2021, 02:18:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ah, gotcha man. Definitely wasn't trying to tell you what to do. It would suck day in and day out if your heart isn't in it. Hope you find something fulfilling for you out there.

Thanks - and I really do appreciate the feedback. Not trying to be a dick or anything.

Fhk

« Reply #23593 on: September 18, 2021, 02:24:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sounds like you already have the skills and vision down. Maybe take some business classes and try to start your own thing up. Don't give up just because fashion school didn't work out. Life is a series of valleys and peaks, sounds like you're in a valley now so that means there's only one way to go! Best of luck :D
This response belongs in the stoked on thread! Rickyrack is now posting thoughtful shit that makes sense. Atta boy! In other words show SLAP™️ your Little Richard NOT your Little Dick!

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23594 on: September 18, 2021, 07:40:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Got two large crunch wrap supreme meals and I ate like 2/3 of one of the crunch wraps and it’s been like hour and a half a half an hour so I bet the rest of it is gonna be fucken poison now
[close]

Nah, 90 minutes, the first one fully fucked me you know how you have a big feed and you get the itis
I was gonna put the other one in the oven but then the lettuce will go funny, I’m eating it cold rn
listen to cosmic psychos

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23595 on: September 18, 2021, 07:51:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ll update y’all when I get done with that appointment.
[close]

much appreciated, get well soon

Expand Quote
I woke up Thursday with a mean dislocated shoulder.  I've had surgery and have dislocated it 30+ times.  I can put it back in myself, but it really hurt and not a fun way to wake up.
[close]

I had the same shoulder blade pain.  I sleep on my left side with my left arm under the pillow.  I woke up to major pain.  The first time I dislocated it was in High School. We had an old quary filled with water and like a 25ft cliff to jump off and I just landed wrong. 

had, i think, the same thing today. took me a while to get it back in place. meanwhile it felt like i got stabbed behind my shoulder blade and my fingers were numb for hours.
[close]

Mate what’s the go with that? You like broke the socket bones, right?
I ask cause my left ones only come out three times the last time had to get it put back in it wasn’t pleasant at all

What’s the go are you gonna get a reconstruction down the track or do you just try to have your shoulder muscles hold it in?

I think it’s one of those things where the more it happens the easier it comes out?

I try to ignore mine but have you thought about long term do you just get the reco or what?
How old are you?

Cheers
listen to cosmic psychos

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #23596 on: September 18, 2021, 08:32:24 PM »
not stoked on my ex ending our relationship, its been a few months and I lost all motivation to live...my heart is heavy

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #23597 on: September 18, 2021, 09:33:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
I woke up Thursday with a mean dislocated shoulder.  I've had surgery and have dislocated it 30+ times.  I can put it back in myself, but it really hurt and not a fun way to wake up.
[close]

I had the same shoulder blade pain.  I sleep on my left side with my left arm under the pillow.  I woke up to major pain.  The first time I dislocated it was in High School. We had an old quary filled with water and like a 25ft cliff to jump off and I just landed wrong. 

had, i think, the same thing today. took me a while to get it back in place. meanwhile it felt like i got stabbed behind my shoulder blade and my fingers were numb for hours.
[close]
[close]

I ask cause my left ones only come out three times the last time had to get it put back in it wasn’t pleasant at all

What’s the go are you gonna get a reconstruction down the track or do you just try to have your shoulder muscles hold it in?

I think it’s one of those things where the more it happens the easier it comes out?

I try to ignore mine but have you thought about long term do you just get the reco or what?
How old are you?

Cheers

not sure if you were asking me or @lampshade, but i'll answer anyway. i'm not sure where i got my shoulder problems from, but my best guess is slams from skating. like many of us i had many a gnarly slam that i didn't get checked out. i remember a couple times where my right shoulder was pretty busted to the point of my right arm being super useless for weeks for anything except holding a pen, mouse or controller. elbow, too. lots of those slams happened in transition onto coping. also just straight up skating into stuff and impacting with my shoulder. my right shoulder and neck region is just all kinds of fucked.

i'm not sure what to do about it, not slamming and doing any type of stretching or gymnastics helps a lot, trying not to lose crucial muscles that keep stuff in place, keeping it mobile even at the cost of pain is better in the long run. usually laying down or sitting still is not helping. sleeping wrong is risky, i tend to move on to my right side during sleep and sometimes i wake up in a fucked position where my shoulder is almost pushing into my neck and then it's usually bad. now i'm kind of hugging a pillow and positioning pillows around me so i can't move about as much.

my doc knows about the issues, but for him it's more like "yeah, you are a dude in your mid 30s who skated for 20 years and took all sorts of slams, of course your body is fucked. you are old now. just start doing some yoga." he's not really in a rush, ha ha.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #23598 on: September 18, 2021, 09:42:09 PM »
not stoked on my ex ending our relationship, its been a few months and I lost all motivation to live...my heart is heavy

i am sorry your ex dumped you. here's hoping you'll get your spirit up soon again. i'm sure lots of others can relate, too. please hang in there and don't give up. if you want to vent, feel free to pm. i can't promise any guidance or help, but you can pour your heart out judgement free, fwiw.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #23599 on: September 18, 2021, 09:52:24 PM »
I think I broke my toe walking through my house a few weeks ago.  Thought it was a false alarm; didn’t feel so bad and I even skated on it a bit, but it keeps getting worse and now I’m limping.  Such a stupid way to get hurt
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #23600 on: September 19, 2021, 04:04:41 AM »

I'm being a big poosay. I'm going to be ok.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 04:55:09 AM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23601 on: September 19, 2021, 06:29:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

How old are you?

Cheers
[close]

not sure if you were asking me or @lampshade, but i'll answer anyway. i'm not sure where i got my shoulder problems from, but my best guess is slams from skating. like many of us i had many a gnarly slam that i didn't get checked out. i remember a couple times where my right shoulder was pretty busted to the point of my right arm being super useless for weeks for anything except holding a pen, mouse or controller. elbow, too. lots of those slams happened in transition onto coping. also just straight up skating into stuff and impacting with my shoulder. my right shoulder and neck region is just all kinds of fucked.

i'm not sure what to do about it, not slamming and doing any type of stretching or gymnastics helps a lot, trying not to lose crucial muscles that keep stuff in place, keeping it mobile even at the cost of pain is better in the long run. usually laying down or sitting still is not helping. sleeping wrong is risky, i tend to move on to my right side during sleep and sometimes i wake up in a fucked position where my shoulder is almost pushing into my neck and then it's usually bad. now i'm kind of hugging a pillow and positioning pillows around me so i can't move about as much.

my doc knows about the issues, but for him it's more like "yeah, you are a dude in your mid 30s who skated for 20 years and took all sorts of slams, of course your body is fucked. you are old now. just start doing some yoga." he's not really in a rush, ha ha.

I've had what's called a Bankhart reconstruction.  When I get an X-ray there are five tiny screws in a perfectly straight line in my shoulder, but it still comes out from time to time.  I've learned a lot of muscle memory.  Like when I am going to slam, I instinctively grab my shoulder. 

I've dislocated it showering, putting on t-shirts, etc.  The best was in college, I brought some random sororitey girl home and was getting my epic missonary style on and it popped out.  She was so confused.  I put it back in and kept going.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #23602 on: September 19, 2021, 12:32:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i am sorry your ex dumped you. here's hoping you'll get your spirit up soon again. i'm sure lots of others can relate, too. please hang in there and don't give up. if you want to vent, feel free to pm. i can't promise any guidance or help, but you can pour your heart out judgement free, fwiw.

I appreciate it!!!

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #23603 on: September 19, 2021, 08:46:45 PM »
dubstep. dropping a can of ginger ale and having to clean the floor when trying to relax

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23604 on: September 19, 2021, 10:19:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

How old are you?

Cheers
[close]

[close]

I've had what's called a Bankhart reconstruction.  When I get an X-ray there are five tiny screws in a perfectly straight line in my shoulder, but it still comes out from time to time.  I've learned a lot of muscle memory.  Like when I am going to slam, I instinctively grab my shoulder. 

I've dislocated it showering, putting on t-shirts, etc.  The best was in college, I brought some random sororitey girl home and was getting my epic missonary style on and it popped out.  She was so confused.  I put it back in and kept going.

That’s hectic, my ones broken at the top so maybe different idk

Yeah maybe moving it is the best thing to do, I know over time it grinds the bone down back smooth,
mines all smooth now so it doesn’t grate or anything anymore

Yeah sleepings fucked sometimes best one I found was face down and the sore arm parallel with body pointing down to feet

Maybe it’s just a getting old thing

Always said I wanted to die with a thrashed body like it’s good to use it up while you can
I guess it is what it is
listen to cosmic psychos

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #23605 on: September 19, 2021, 10:56:04 PM »
Never thought I'd be going back to doing a shitty market research job in my early 30's. I was 22 when I last did this work and thought i'd sworn it off forever. Years later after working with heavy depression/mental health it's the only job I can get. At least I can do it from home due to covid and avoid the awkward tea room breaks.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #23606 on: September 19, 2021, 10:56:29 PM »
I focused my fresh board at the park because I hate rollerskaters and scooterers. They kept getting in my way and I snapped. Started yelling at bunch of fucking cunt ass idiots. Honestly if I didn’t sublimate this hatred I’d probably be a racist. I truly hate their existence. And then I FaceTimed my sister to rant about how much I hate these idiots but I forgot that she fucking rollerskates too. So now I think she think I hate her too which is really isolating for her because she recently came out and my family is pretty lame so I kinda felt like an ally but I’m doing it wrong.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #23607 on: September 20, 2021, 01:21:58 AM »
I inaugurated a new deck and it‘s good but always on new set ups my flip game is of. Not stoked as this always sets back my progress for a few weeks until I can take up where I was before the deck change. How do you deal with this?
What’s the issue?
Board too stiff? Too grippy? Weird shape?
New decks can be a bit tricky sometimes, especially when you’re learning or re-learning to skate.
You can try to bend the deck a little decrease the stiffness and you can sand down the griptape but if the shape is weird you just got to plow through it man.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #23608 on: September 20, 2021, 02:42:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What’s the issue?
New decks can be a bit tricky sometimes, especially when you’re learning or re-learning to skate.
You can try to bend the deck a little decrease the stiffness and you can sand down the griptape but if the shape is weird you just got to plow through it man.

Cheers bro, I wondered if it might be the stiffness… It would be interesting to hear from those who ride the same decks/shapes back to back if they have that issue or not.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #23609 on: September 20, 2021, 03:20:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
What’s the issue?
[close]

Cheers bro, I wondered if it might be the stiffness… It would be interesting to hear from those who ride the same decks/shapes back to back if they have that issue or not.
I ride pretty much the same shape or something very similar everytime and I love setting up new boards.
Any issues are usually caused by shapes, so try to figure out what you like and try to stick to that.
Just remember that lenght and wheelbase make much more difference than width…

Welcome to the madness.