Author Topic: Nichols and Charnoski NY Skate Movie Finally Has A Name  (Read 2957 times)

sergioflorez

Randozzi

Re: Nichols and Charnoski NY Skate Movie Finally Has A Name
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 10:00:02 AM »
Really looking forward to this!

SR Junky

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:00:37 AM »
My dad bought me 'Northwest' when he was up in Oregon and I had never heard of it so I was somewhat skeptical but I watched it and it was really cool, but then I lost it and am completely unstoked.  I will definetly see this movie.

L. A. GROVE SPSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
    • Channel St. SPSA avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »
Route 66 is pretty tight too. and Sr Junky, I meant:  A guy taking pictures of him self isnt kooky at all right? as a joke. didnt realize i fucked up
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."- Mark Twain

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »
pretty weird idea for a video.

new york as a city as had little influence on the culture and what not of skateboarding except introducing and running with the idea that image and style are way more important than anything else.

bizarro gub

• Rep: 7
  • lincoln of the sea
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:23:12 PM »

new york as a city as had little influence on the culture and what not of skateboarding except introducing and running with the idea that image and style are way more important than anything else.

id gnar you if i could.
Alexactly shaves.

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »

Do you think that they introduced that idea?  Moreso than say TA or the Alva team in general?  Or just 70's skating - I mean those guys were pretty style oriented, or even guys like Hosoi with all of the crazy flair and styled out tricks.  Or do you mean just in terms of street skating?  What about those Venice slasher dudes like Aaron Murray or Dressen - they were pretty "style" oriented.  Maybe if you elaborate I will understand what you mean a little better.

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 03:35:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you think that they introduced that idea?  Moreso than say TA or the Alva team in general?  Or just 70's skating - I mean those guys were pretty style oriented, or even guys like Hosoi with all of the crazy flair and styled out tricks.  Or do you mean just in terms of street skating?  What about those Venice slasher dudes like Aaron Murray or Dressen - they were pretty "style" oriented.  Maybe if you elaborate I will understand what you mean a little better.

well. all those guys could skate too.

the new york scene pretty much invented the idea that you could get sponsored for wearing dope t-shirts despite sucking it up at skating.
style as in what you wear and how good you are at posing in the back room at supreme not how you skate.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 03:45:44 PM »
I have really liked all their other videos so I am sure I will enjoy this one as well. I really like that these guys make videos about stuff that they want to and don't stress on "keeping up with the jones" if you know what I mean.

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 03:58:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

the new york scene pretty much invented the idea that you could get sponsored for wearing dope t-shirts despite sucking it up at skating.
style as in what you wear and how good you are at posing in the back room at supreme not how you skate.

Who specifically made a career out of chilling though?  Seemed like that attitude was more animosity from the Tom Knox types who got looked over in favor of the new generation of fresh dudes who smoked weed, wore Polo gear and skated less.  I can't think of anybody from NY who had a model on a decent company who actually sucked at skating though.

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 04:13:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Who specifically made a career out of chilling though?  Seemed like that attitude was more animosity from the Tom Knox types who got looked over in favor of the new generation of fresh dudes who smoked weed, wore Polo gear and skated less.  I can't think of anybody from NY who had a model on a decent company who actually sucked at skating though.

the only things i can think of that new york brought to the development of skating is having scenic spots and pros that looked cool in ads and average on video.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Harold hunter was pro for Zoo york. That right there pretty much solidifies the point.

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -347
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 04:21:55 PM »
keenan milton was from new york too......

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »
keenan milton was from new york too......

the fuck has that got to do with anything?
he left there asap and about 5% of his footage was filmed there.
i doubt this thing is going to be about skaters that just happened to be born there.

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 04:28:32 PM »
Otis - Are you saying you don't see this project as being worthwhile because skate history-wise NYC doesn't merit the attention?  I don't really understand what you are getting at at this point. 

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 04:29:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Harold hunter was pro for Zoo york. That right there pretty much solidifies the point.

Harold didn't suck at skating - he fell off after he went pro from partying too much.  Watch Skypager - he was sick.

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »
Otis - Are you saying you don't see this project as being worthwhile because skate history-wise NYC doesn't merit the attention?

yeah.

are you involved with this or just on some ' i heart nyc'?

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 04:31:05 PM »
i hear skateboarding was basicly born in new york city and do you know why keenan left? maybe he wanted to be closer to everyone at girl/chocolate(who at that time all lived in LA).just like the guys at zoo york/5boro who aren't from new york live there or go there alot, to get closer to the team. i bet if girl/chocolate was all based in new york and everyone on the team was from new york keenan would've stayed
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:33:25 PM by GIRL Workshop B »

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 04:36:25 PM »
i hear skateboarding was basicly born in new york city and do you know why keenan left? maybe he wanted to be closer to everyone at girl/chocolate(who at that time all lived in LA).just like the guys at zoo york/5boro who aren't from new york live there or go there alot, to get closer to the team. i bet if girl/chocolate was all based in new york and everyone on the team was from new york keenan would've stayed

shut up.

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 04:39:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Otis - Are you saying you don't see this project as being worthwhile because skate history-wise NYC doesn't merit the attention?
[close]

yeah.

No involvement, on some "I heart NYC" I guess, but generally just wondering if you are serious or not. 

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 04:39:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Harold didn't suck at skating - he fell off after he went pro from partying too much.  Watch Skypager - he was sick.
I'm speechless.

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 04:45:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah.

[close]

No involvement, on some "I heart NYC" I guess, but generally just wondering if you are serious or not. 

you're really polite.

i just can't see this being interesting, although i bet it will look good.
i seriously think a documentary on the impact new york had on the 'culture' of skating and the way skaters looked and acted and how it popularised and spread that, with a bit of stuff about supreme and the whole kids era would be good but as far as the practice of skating new york just has never been a big deal.

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »
wow. i bet you're one of the guys who hates anthony pappalrdo's part in fully flared.

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 04:49:20 PM »
wow. i bet you're one of the guys who hates anthony pappalrdo's part in fully flared.

no more than i hated the rest of fully flared.

google 'blind skateboards keenan milton'.

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 04:53:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah.

[close]

[close]

you're really polite.

i just can't see this being interesting, although i bet it will look good.
i seriously think a documentary on the impact new york had on the 'culture' of skating and the way skaters looked and acted and how it popularised and spread that, with a bit of stuff about supreme and the whole kids era would be good but as far as the practice of skating new york just has never been a big deal.

Okay, I guess I disagree.  I grew up during the whole 90's east coast 411 heyday so I obviously was drawn to that stuff.  Also I grew up very far from California and found it a lot easier to relate to the type of spots commonly found in east coast footage.  So for me personally New York stuff is a big deal and important to my own view of skating; in terms of the bigger picture of skateboarding history I don't know, actually I don't even really care because I don't relate at all to most of the California based documentary stuff like Dogtown or what have you.   

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 04:54:56 PM »
a decent philly documentary would be a much better idea.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 04:56:42 PM by ohhhhtisbdriftwood »

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 04:56:39 PM »
a good philly documentary would be amazing.

agreed.

Gest

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 05:34:08 PM »
you mean blind...

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 06:30:10 PM »

Well, you might be able to make that argument.
You could also make the argument that the way dudes skated ny/phi/dc was a new genre--"urban transcendentalism" or whatever the fuck you want to call it.

Cuong Ngo

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 07:26:19 PM »
ah man steve quentin from concord park was in this,
very random.
good find.