Author Topic: Nichols and Charnoski NY Skate Movie Finally Has A Name  (Read 2958 times)

Rocuronium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Nichols and Charnoski NY Skate Movie Finally Has A Name
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »
Uhh, Sean Sheffey was an OG street PIONEER.
He pushed boundaries of what was possible on a skateboard.

I believe that he made the bs tailslide on ledges what it is today.
He was the first to do it long, big, and over steps as far as I know.
Same with bs lips I think.

I'd like to know if anyone can confirm or contradict this.

Nevertheless I find the NC productions insufferable.
Tent City would have been a tragic waste of time had it not been for the unedited footy and bonus stuff.
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/236x/59/48/b8/5948b85016497192c5b5df8b620f75db.jpg[img]

TheFrontSeatLife

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2008, 09:58:53 PM »
Uhh, Sean Sheffey was an OG street PIONEER.
He pushed boundaries of what was possible on a skateboard.

I believe that he made the bs tailslide on ledges what it is today.
He was the first to do it long, big, and over steps as far as I know.
Same with bs lips I think.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Otis - Are you saying you don't see this project as being worthwhile because skate history-wise NYC doesn't merit the attention?
[close]

are you involved with this or just on some ' i heart nyc'?
[close]

No involvement, on some "I heart NYC" I guess, but generally just wondering if you are serious or not. 
[close]

you're really polite.

i just can't see this being interesting, although i bet it will look good.
i seriously think a documentary on the impact new york had on the 'culture' of skating and the way skaters looked and acted and how it popularised and spread that, with a bit of stuff about supreme and the whole kids era would be good but as far as the practice of skating new york just has never been a big deal.
[close]

Okay, I guess I disagree.  I grew up during the whole 90's east coast 411 heyday so I obviously was drawn to that stuff.  Also I grew up very far from California and found it a lot easier to relate to the type of spots commonly found in east coast footage.  So for me personally New York stuff is a big deal and important to my own view of skating; in terms of the bigger picture of skateboarding history I don't know, actually I don't even really care because I don't relate at all to most of the California based documentary stuff like Dogtown or what have you.   

Sheffy is DC, not NYC. He did skate for Shut though.

Agreed. I really liked skating in NYC when I was there and I could relate to it a lot more than perfect Cali 10 stairs. Plus a whole lot of NC pros are straight ill.

dudebro

• Rep: 22
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Otis - Are you saying you don't see this project as being worthwhile because skate history-wise NYC doesn't merit the attention?
[close]

yeah.

are you involved with this or just on some ' i heart nyc'?
[close]

No involvement, on some "I heart NYC" I guess, but generally just wondering if you are serious or not. 
[close]

you're really polite.

i just can't see this being interesting, although i bet it will look good.
i seriously think a documentary on the impact new york had on the 'culture' of skating and the way skaters looked and acted and how it popularised and spread that, with a bit of stuff about supreme and the whole kids era would be good but as far as the practice of skating new york just has never been a big deal.

it seems really interesting to me. how is the skate history and culture of one of the biggest and most diverse urban cities in the world not interesting? i grew up skating in the Northwest (recently moved to nyc) and all photos and videos i saw of New York and the east coast in general made it seem like a totally different scene and vibe from the schoolyards and suburbs of southern California. it was a different approach and that's what i liked about it. if "the practice of skating new york just has never been a big deal" as you say, why are skate companies always coming out here on trips to film and shoot photos? is flushing meadows, the brooklyn banks and a ton of other random spots that are all over the city and constantly in magazines and videos irrelevant?
one-upping is rad.  so is beaming.  both so unquestionably identify the kooks...saves a lot of wasted time/small talk.  you instantly know who to avoid.

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -347
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »
i could name tons of video parts full of flushing and brooklyn banks footy. and why do top pros compete in new york city comps on a yearly basis? and emerica's REALLY into new york since they always seem to have events over there

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »
You new yorkers have that lame ass female empowerment movement mentality. No matter how much shit you spout off about how relevant you are, no one from California, or anywhere else for that matter, will care about your skateboarding.

dudebro

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2008, 12:24:48 PM »
You new yorkers have that lame ass female empowerment movement mentality. No matter how much shit you spout off about how relevant you are, no one from California, or anywhere else for that matter, will care about your skateboarding.

haha. now i know you're not serious. are you trying to fill Beautifull's void or something?
one-upping is rad.  so is beaming.  both so unquestionably identify the kooks...saves a lot of wasted time/small talk.  you instantly know who to avoid.

ohhhhtisbdriftwood

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2008, 12:28:07 PM »
i could name tons of video parts full of flushing and brooklyn banks footy. and why do top pros compete in new york city comps on a yearly basis? and emerica's REALLY into new york since they always seem to have events over there

oh shit, emerica's REALLY into it? i take back everything i said then, seeing that emerica's REALLY into it.

and both yours and the guy before you's points that lots of pros from other places travel there to film sometimes really does your argument no favours.

GIRL Workshop B

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -347
  • Gino Clause
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2008, 12:35:42 PM »
Fact: Skateboarding(then called cart coasting) originated in new york city. california just created the more modern skateboard so wouldn't that make new york at least a little important to skateboarding?
i understand that you probably have never been to new york and live in a place full of surfers and reynlds clones so you think the new york scene isn't interesting at all but if you actualy skated there for a week or two your opinion would change.

ChildoftheGhetto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1323
  • Nathaniel Turner with a burner
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2008, 12:39:53 PM »
Fact: Skateboarding(then called cart coasting) originated in new york city. california just created the more modern skateboard so wouldn't that make new york at least a little important to skateboarding?
i understand that you probably have never been to new york and live in a place full of surfers and reynlds clones so you think the new york scene isn't interesting at all but if you actualy skated there for a week or two your opinion would change.
Fact: cart coasting is not skateboarding. Also, I ,personally, think a lot the spots in California are shitty because they are dirty and have cracks. So, there is definitely no reason for me to go to new york, where their claim to fame is having shitty spots.

dudebro

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 12:56:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Fact: cart coasting is not skateboarding. Also, I ,personally, think a lot the spots in California are shitty because they are dirty and have cracks. So, there is definitely no reason for me to go to new york, where their claim to fame is having shitty spots.

actually i don't think their claim to fame is shitty spots. there are a few and people will skate them because its fun and challenging, but if you skate anywhere around manhattan, the majority of the ground is pretty smooth and the spots are really good. the only problem is the bust factor but you can get away with skating spots for 10 or 15 minutes sometimes during the day and then move on. at night you can skate for hours sometimes. there are random marble and granite plazas all over the place and they're constantly building stuff. i've been to california to skate several times and i'm having so much more fun out here.