Author Topic: Who saw Jason Lee on Conan last night?  (Read 2161 times)

Teacup

Who saw Jason Lee on Conan last night?
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:44:27 AM »
Was anyone else as disappointed in it as I was? The whole time I was waiting for Conan to ask about what Jason did before he got into Acting, because he usually does ask that sort of question when actors come on the show, and finally he did.

He asked something like "what did you do when you were younger growing up in orange county?" Jason gave this sort of a pause, sort of like he wanted to blurt something out, but then changed his mind. His response was "break dancing". They then did some skit where Jason tried to show Conan how to break dance.

I was waiting for him to say, "I used to be a professional skateboarder" just so maybe they'd discuss it a little, maybe Jason would throw out a few names... but no. He completely avoided it. I couldn't believe it really. Then he said I think 2 or 3 times that he was "completely dedicated to what he was doing", meaning acting. Do you think this sort of his way of saying he's over skateboarding, and now is trying to distance himself from his past? That's how I read it at least.

If anyone can find video of this interview post it so others can judge for themselves.

MexicanSpaniard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Who saw Jason Lee on Conan last night?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »
Jason Lee hides the fact that he skates due to his Earl contract no?

Teacup

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:49:12 AM »
Jason Lee hides the fact that he skates due to his Earl contract no?

Why would he though? You'd think they would try to find a way to work it into the show... I mean if he was an ex-NFL everyone would be all over it.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 09:52:30 AM »
I have no idea, I was just grasping at wind straws in the hay.

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:55:38 AM »
I was watching video days in the shop the other day and a dad came in with his kid and was like "Is that the guy from My Name is Earl" i was like yeah, he was astonished...Couldn't phathom dude being an actor and a Skateboarder.  
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 09:59:12 AM »
  I don't think Conan or Jason really brought it up cause it's already been brought up so often. When he first got famous with My Name is Earl it seemed like every show he went on he explained how he used to be a pro skateboarder and they'd run the same clips from video days for each show. When he was on SNL he even did a whole skit on skateboarding. Jason's still keeping it real IMO
ableSkateMag.com

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:00:46 AM »
  and he still rides fucking' Indys too!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 10:02:20 AM by able »
ableSkateMag.com

Teacup

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:01:56 AM »
  I don't think Conan or Jason really brought it up cause it's already been brought up so often. When he first got famous with My Name is Earl it seemed like every show he went on he explained how he used to be a pro skateboarder and they'd run the same clips from video days for each show. When he was on SNL he even did a whole skit on skateboarding. Jason's still keeping it real IMO

Really? I don't see how he wasn't famous before MNIE though. He was in almost all the Kevin Smith movies, had a lead role in Vanilla Sky, and some other stuff. I'll have to try to find some older interviews.

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »
 dude has been on conan a bunch of times already and they already talked about that.
i was more upset at what a douche bag jason lee is.

I used to post

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 11:04:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really? I don't see how he wasn't famous before MNIE though. He was in almost all the Kevin Smith movies, had a lead role in Vanilla Sky, and some other stuff. I'll have to try to find some older interviews.

yea he has been on Conan at least 2 times if not more and the time that I saw him on it was brought up that he used to skate and that his trick was the 3 flip and he explained how the board spins and stuff. It can't be brought up forever in the acting world, because to them he is an actor and thats it. He's still down for the board though, as far as I know/am concerned.

The Bullet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
I love Jason Lee and all that, but geez, that Coach Frank character has gotta go.

daddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »
It's kind of like when you're at school on the first day and you have to introduce yourself in front of the class. I never say "I Skateboard" just cause I don't want any kooks at school to know anything about me. Jason Lee would just get a bunch of retards asking annoying questions ya know?

dudebro

• Rep: 22
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 12:19:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yea he has been on Conan at least 2 times if not more and the time that I saw him on it was brought up that he used to skate and that his trick was the 3 flip and he explained how the board spins and stuff. It can't be brought up forever in the acting world, because to them he is an actor and thats it. He's still down for the board though, as far as I know/am concerned.

Pretty much what I was going to say. He was pretty well known before that show and I think it was also pretty well known that he used to be a pro skateboarder because, as has been said, its been mentioned in so many interviews before. Its going to be the same dumb interview everytime if they constantly talk about that shit. Its like Gary Coleman being asked to say "whatcoo talkin' bout willis?" all the time. I'm sure Jason Lee isn't trying to hide his skating history, but why would he constantly want to keep throwing that out there all the time when its really irrelevant to a particular interview or situation...
one-upping is rad.  so is beaming.  both so unquestionably identify the kooks...saves a lot of wasted time/small talk.  you instantly know who to avoid.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 06:06:33 PM »
It's kind of like when you're at school on the first day and you have to introduce yourself in front of the class. I never say "I Skateboard" just cause I don't want any kooks at school to know anything about me. Jason Lee would just get a bunch of retards asking annoying questions ya know?

yeah, there have been many situations where i took the same route because i knew it would make my life a little less annoying.

jrock

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 06:15:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty much what I was going to say. He was pretty well known before that show and I think it was also pretty well known that he used to be a pro skateboarder because, as has been said, its been mentioned in so many interviews before. Its going to be the same dumb interview everytime if they constantly talk about that shit. Its like Gary Coleman being asked to say "whatcoo talkin' bout willis?" all the time. I'm sure Jason Lee isn't trying to hide his skating history, but why would he constantly want to keep throwing that out there all the time when its really irrelevant to a particular interview or situation...

thats probably what the whole breakdancing bit was all about...he was probably poking fun of the fact that he always gets asked about his skateboarding past

Teacup

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 06:18:47 PM »
He sucked at that spin by the way. LETS SEE A FAKIE TREFLIP JASON!

[/mandatory "j/k"]

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »
I remember he was on the Daily Show a while ago and talked about it a little bit.

On a related note, I was in the audience at the Conan today. If you hear an enthusiastic "YYYYYES!" after Conan says "musical guest, the Duke Spirit," that's me.

Teacup

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »
I remember he was on the Daily Show a while ago and talked about it a little bit.

On a related note, I was in the audience at the Conan today. If you hear an enthusiastic "YYYYYES!" after Conan says "musical guest, the Duke Spirit," that's me.

Haha sick, I'll be listening for it.

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »
how did you get tickets?
whenever i try to get tickets the waiting list is like 6 months.
i'm bummed i live in ny and have never gone, and he might be moving to california next year and i may never get a chance to.
I used to post

cat

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 07:44:44 PM »
hes not a very good actor

Teacup

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »

I disagree... I never got into My name is Earl, but he was really good in Vanilla Sky and the Kevin Smith movies.

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 08:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I disagree... I never got into My name is Earl, but he was really good in Vanilla Sky and the Kevin Smith movies.

i disagree with your disagree. Almost every role i see him in, he always seems to play the same note over and over again. He really needs to branch out more as an actor (since apparently that's his career of choice over professional skateboarding).

I liked him in "Chasing Amy" though. He had a lot of good one-liners. He was alright in "Almost Famous"

I hated him on Conan last night. He always does the same old shtick on the late night talk shows. His interviews in print are always much better and articulate.

longballlarry

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 09:55:52 PM »

i kind of heard some one yell yes! mad quick after he said that. it was barely noticeable though.
also, i just realized earlier this week that conan switched up the whole flow of the show, he used to do the monologue in the beginning and then go to his desk and do skits and then go to commercial, but now he makes jokes, goes to commercial and then does all the skits. what's up with that?
I used to post

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 10:06:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i kind of heard some one yell yes! mad quick after he said that. it was barely noticeable though.
also, i just realized earlier this week that conan switched up the whole flow of the show, he used to do the monologue in the beginning and then go to his desk and do skits and then go to commercial, but now he makes jokes, goes to commercial and then does all the skits. what's up with that?

You heard it? Awesome! I wasn't sure if I picked up on it or not. I thought I may have heard it, but it was hard to pick out.

But about tickets, I don't really know how it works. My sister reserved them about a month ago I think.

sweatloaf

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 08:33:58 AM »
I really like My Name is Earl. That and The Office are the only shows I watch that aren't cartoons

Teacup

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I thought I heard it to. It was just like a slightly louder noise then the rest of the crowd, but it got drowned out once everyone else starting cheering so I couldn't even be sure it was someone saying "Yyyesss" or something else. I did hear a noise though haha.

artichoke

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »
His interviews in print are always much better and articulate.

Can't that be said for anyone?  The little five minute interviews on talk shows like that are designed to plug a project they worked on, not to produce worthwhile content.

loophole

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 09:31:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i disagree with your disagree. Almost every role i see him in, he always seems to play the same note over and over again. He really needs to branch out more as an actor (since apparently that's his career of choice over professional skateboarding).

I liked him in "Chasing Amy" though. He had a lot of good one-liners. He was alright in "Almost Famous"
what was that movie when some alien parasite shot out of his asshole?

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • S&H
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Some Stev(PH)en King movie called dreamcatcher or weaver or something that fell to shit in the last half hour.

Rusty Champignon

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 02:56:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Some Stev(PH)en King movie called dreamcatcher or weaver or something that fell to shit in the last half hour.

he was in some comedy with Tom Green called Stealing Harvard a while back, he's been in a lot though