Author Topic: books to read  (Read 435159 times)

behavioralguide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: books to read
« Reply #2970 on: January 03, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
That lead me into reading Butcher's Crossing by John Williams

ha reading that one aswell now, not too far in yet but good read

Also 'reading' joe sacco's 'safe area gorazde' about the bosnian war (92' - 95')

which I can really reccomend

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2971 on: January 03, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »
Seconded on Sacco. His other stuff is ace, too.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #2972 on: January 03, 2019, 03:10:41 PM »
Seconded on Sacco. His other stuff is ace, too.

Thirded! Safe Area was one of the first, and still one of the best (of the few) graphic novels I've read. I work in a book store and, incidentally, as I don't normally work in the comics/graphic novel area, I stumbled upon this thing today:

The cover art and packaging piqued my interest, so I picked it up and read about a quarter of it on my lunch break, and so far I'm really digging it (it's remarkable how often judging a book by its cover works out for me). I feel dumb for not knowing anything about Cerebus before today. It's a big deal in the comics world.
Also, reading something written from a female perspective (Jaka, eponymous) is doing me some good. I don't do that enough.

*Edit - I've done a little reading now and, ironically (given my last statement), there's been a lot of controversy surrounding the author's views on the man/woman relationship and feminism. I'll keep reading...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:49:57 PM by Peter Zagreus »

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #2973 on: January 03, 2019, 07:30:02 PM »
Read In The Distance by Hernan Diaz recently which I picked up after reading SFblah's recommendation in this thread so thank you for that suggestion - great book. 

That lead me into reading Butcher's Crossing by John Williams which I really liked. Not sure if this book has already appeared in this thread but I also recommend this one for anyone who's a fan of Cormac McCarthy's westerns. It was written in the 1960s so very likely even served as inspiration to McCarthy as it tackles a couple similar themes. It takes place in the 1870s and is about a Harvard student who drops out of school to move out west and live on the frontier. He arranges to go on a buffalo hunting expedition and some gnarly shit happens to his group (not Blood Meridian-level of gnarliness, but what is, really).

Just started reading Warlock by Oakley Hall. Another "revisionist western". Only about 100 pages in but enjoying it so far. Based on a few real events mixed in with fictional events (one of the main characters is at least partly based on Wyatt Earp). This one was written around the same time as Butcher's Crossing.

Butcher's Crossing is great. Super good western story
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #2974 on: January 03, 2019, 09:51:13 PM »
If you happen to be an introvert read Quiet by Susan Cain

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #2975 on: January 04, 2019, 02:47:41 AM »
Sacco is great indeed! If you liked Safe Area Gorazde, maybe check out his stuff on the Middle East Conflict: Palestine and Footnotes on Gaza. Both are really good, even though it's worth mentioning that he's heavily biased towards the Palestininan point of view (not saying it's wrong, not taking sides, but that's just how it is).

Statebird

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2976 on: January 04, 2019, 06:15:12 AM »
reading the Jason Molina biography now, if you're into Songs:Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co I highly recommend it

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #2977 on: January 04, 2019, 08:52:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
just finished no country for old men. Its one of my favorite movies and now one of my favorite books.
[close]

Actually the one instance I can think of where I liked the movie more than the book. Obviously McCarthy is great, though.

Reading Nabokov for the first time in earnest and, damn, this is a good book. I'm flying through it.
However, I was thumbing through a collection of interviews Nabokov gave over the course of his life, and at times he comes off as deeply pretentious. The first line of his introduction is something like: "I think like a genius; I write like a distinguished writer; I talk like a child." Next to insufferable. Doesn't diminish his work, though.
[close]

I fucking love Nabokov.  He is super full of himself though.  Apparently he could pull it off in person (at least for some people) and he'd often play it up in interviews and stuff, but it's definitely a prominent part of his personality.  I can see why given how intelligent and accomplished he was and his family background but it is jarring to learn.

I guess one could be full of themselves with a touch of irony and it might come of as charming. I don't know. As long as any asshole can just pick up a book and read it, any asshole who can write one should be allowed to do that too.

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #2978 on: January 05, 2019, 12:35:28 AM »
This was great

Just started reading this one and it's pretty interesting
I just found out about this website where they have free pdf's if anyone is interested https://www.pdfdrive.com/sapiens-a-brief-history-of-humankind-e61378055.html

vitunvesa

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2979 on: January 05, 2019, 01:46:31 AM »
Expand Quote
This was great

[close]

Just started reading this one and it's pretty interesting

I loved this. Gonna read all his books now I think..The new one is about the future
eat like a bird and drink like a whale

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #2980 on: January 07, 2019, 06:57:35 PM »
H.P. Lovecraft and his debates with critic's.
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #2981 on: January 10, 2019, 12:53:30 PM »
Am rereading this for the umpteenth time

it is still the best book of short stories for my money, even though I found this latest copy in the gutter.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:57:25 PM by botefdunn »

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #2982 on: January 11, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
Fear And Loathing never gets old.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #2983 on: January 20, 2019, 02:15:29 PM »
I'm reading Wise Guy by Nicholas Pileggi , Goodfellas is n adaptation of the book.
I cannot believe the amount of money Paulie spent from 1970 - 1975 at Lewisburg Penitentiary. You know a lot of CO's felt their pockets get light when Paul got out haha. I wonder how much a week that would be today?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #2984 on: January 20, 2019, 03:09:44 PM »
That's super easy to find out...http://lmgtfy.com/?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usinflationcalculator.com%2F

(It's ~$2,333 - $4,667 a week.)

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #2985 on: January 20, 2019, 07:58:20 PM »
That's super easy to find out...http://lmgtfy.com/?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usinflationcalculator.com%2F

(It's ~$2,333 - $4,667 a week.)

Oh my goodness haha living well in there. That's insane !

Brguy

« Reply #2986 on: January 21, 2019, 08:36:09 AM »
I tried reading it but it's so close to the movie I gave up on the first few pages. Definitely should have read it before watching it.

The Tartar Steppe is a good one, has a cool suspense and doubt of people's sanity.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #2987 on: January 21, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I tried reading it but it's so close to the movie I gave up on the first few pages. Definitely should have read it before watching it.

The Tartar Steppe is a good one, has a cool suspense and doubt of people's sanity.

What a great job they did with Fear and Loathing, your right it's on par with the book. Very rare.
Pure Gonzo.

I'll most definitely check out The Tartan Steppe.
Have a rad day.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
« Reply #2988 on: February 08, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I most definitely recommend this one. Super interesting reflection on time and expectations, and also just an entertaining read.

Would also recommand Buzzati's short story "il colombre" on a comparable topic.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #2989 on: February 08, 2019, 11:18:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
What a great job they did with Fear and Loathing, your right it's on par with the book. Very rare.
Pure Gonzo.

I'll most definitely check out The Tartan Steppe.
Have a rad day.

sequel, set in Glasgow

Larry Dallas

« Reply #2990 on: February 15, 2019, 10:53:25 PM »
Starting to delve in to Science fiction. Just finished the Forever War, starting Forever Free. I really, really enjoyed the first book. Any recommendations in the genre though? Or should I just keep reading Haldeman books for the time being?

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 804
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #2991 on: February 16, 2019, 11:06:36 AM »
Anyone who's a fan of The Simpson needs to check this book out. I'm blazing through it

There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #2992 on: February 16, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »
I'm reading Blow by Bruce Porter. The movie should say loosely, loosely sorta based on a true story.
The movie is better than the book.

KruxSuck

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2993 on: February 16, 2019, 06:30:43 PM »
jordan peterson "twelve rules for life"
"all the  kings men"
"the professor and the madman:the creation of the oxford English dictionary"
the dark towers series

Joclo

• Rep: 19
  • Just wiggin out
« Reply #2994 on: February 17, 2019, 11:05:09 AM »
Oh the Glory of It All: Sean Wilsey

Memoir, and one of my favorite books ever. Main character is a skateboarder too.

baggy spandex

« Reply #2996 on: March 01, 2019, 01:23:56 AM »
short but sweet

Peter Zagreus

« Reply #2997 on: March 01, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »

A quick, fascinating read with a bold thesis.

Not a quick read at all. Mesmerizing.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #2998 on: March 02, 2019, 07:45:14 AM »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #2999 on: March 02, 2019, 11:05:28 AM »
Asking this question cause I believe I’ve seen it brought up here a few times before..

Does anybody have any self-help/self-esteem books they recommend?  I know of the more famous ones which seem to be focused on business/money (or at least seems like an end goal... maybe I’m wrong?).  Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with a specific book or author?  Thanks