Author Topic: books to read  (Read 434259 times)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
Re: books to read
« Reply #3690 on: June 07, 2022, 01:31:37 PM »

Just finished the first book on my summer reading list. Super good, if you have any interest in how the American government constantly shoots itself in the foot when it comes to our dealings with Iran.

I read kinzer's book about the cia overthrow of mosadegh a couple years ago, I'm definitely going to gave to check this out

Peter Zagreus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #3691 on: June 07, 2022, 04:27:54 PM »

Getting weird with it

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3692 on: June 07, 2022, 11:34:11 PM »
Probably a sweet 16 kinda question but what’s the best Jim Morrison book?

Not necessarily biography but I wanna get more into bands way of thinking (any other OG band book is welcomed).

Back in highschool a teacher was linking philosophers with bands and it was making sense it was rad but that was 10+ years ago and even more in drug years. So I forgot haha.

video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3693 on: June 08, 2022, 07:23:16 PM »
The victim by D’annunzio.

It made me put my phone on plane mode for the first time in ages. Recommended.

What's it about? D’annunzio was a really, really huge and influential piece of shit in terms of fucking up the world but I only know about his poetry and politics

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3694 on: June 09, 2022, 02:14:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What's it about? D’annunzio was a really, really huge and influential piece of shit in terms of fucking up the world but I only know about his poetry and politics

It’s about a family and cheating and discovering passion again through pain. It’s good but I can’t really explain it better, really flowy too I had a good time.

That’s a very “broad” thing to say..
I can try and understand what you’re saying but I can’t agree at all.
I see him as an Hedonist punk that’s it tho.. if you’re referring to him being a member of the fascist party, well during the regime you had to, in order to sell / promote your stuff or simply not to get murdered.
Also übermensch stuff was going hand in hand with the regime ideology. Same with Nietzche and mustache guy from Austria.
As soon as he became just a tiny bit influential they tried to get rid of him and then put him in exile in a house or something.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #3695 on: June 09, 2022, 01:42:48 PM »
Anyone ever read Thomas Wolfe?

He’s got four novels, all pretty lengthy, more or less recounting the story of his life. I read the first one, Look Homeward Angel, and now I’m deep into the second, Of Time and the River. He’s just an absolute genius, and his intellect reeks on every page—I love it. Granted, he’s from Asheville NC, as am I, so I could be a tough biased.

There’s a good movie about his editing process, working with Maxwell Perkins (also Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald’s editor), called Genius. I’d recommend it.

If anyone’s touched his stuff before, I’d be keen to hear their opinions.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3696 on: June 09, 2022, 09:53:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It’s about a family and cheating and discovering passion again through pain. It’s good but I can’t really explain it better, really flowy too I had a good time.

That’s a very “broad” thing to say..
I can try and understand what you’re saying but I can’t agree at all.
I see him as an Hedonist punk that’s it tho.. if you’re referring to him being a member of the fascist party, well during the regime you had to, in order to sell / promote your stuff or simply not to get murdered.
Also übermensch stuff was going hand in hand with the regime ideology. Same with Nietzche and mustache guy from Austria.
As soon as he became just a tiny bit influential they tried to get rid of him and then put him in exile in a house or something.

I feel fine broadly condemning a fascist. What you're saying about him is 100% not true though. He helped create fascism, he wasn't forced into it. He was also so beloved by Italy that they couldn't have stopped him being published if they tried. He was an ideological muse for Mussolini and pushed Italian nationalism to be a driving force in everything he did. He was a fucking dictator of a city, using Italian heritage to justify it. His theatrics and actions when governing Fiume directly influenced Mussolini's fascist policies and aesthetic, which then was a huge influence on other dictators like Hitler. D'annunzio's shitty beliefs are still impacting us today. In fact, he was so influential and not just going along with fascism so he wasn't killed that Mussolini worried at times that his followers would abandon him and make D'annunzio their leader instead. To the point where despite retiring from public life after surviving a potential assassination attempt, Mussolini fucking paid him off and gave him lavish gifts so that D'annunzio would stay out of politics and Mussolini could stay in charge (although D'annunzio didn't stay out of it). That's nothing to say of his raping and physical and emotional abusing women. So I do not think I'm exaggerating by saying he's a huge, yet influential, piece of shit.

Here's some stuff about why he's such a piece of shit and why he's much more influential than you think:
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-one-the-man-who-invented-56106119/
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/part-two-the-man-who-invented-56233303/
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/feb/04/pike-gabriele-d-annunzio-biography-review
https://newrepublic.com/article/116326/gabriele-dannunzio-poet-seducer-and-preacher-war-reviewed

Your comment about Nietzsche is confusing as he was not at all a Nazi. He hated antisemitism and his übermensch ideas were co-opted by the Nazis based on his antisemitic sister purposefully twisting his work and selectively editing and publishing parts of it to be pro-Nazi. Nietzsche was one of many influences for Naziism, but he was not directly intersecting with its rise like D'annunzio was. Nietzsche had his mental breakdown and was institutionalized in 1889 and died in 1900, well before fascism rose in Italy or Naziism rose in Germany.
https://www.vox.com/2017/8/17/16140846/alt-right-nietzsche-richard-spencer-nazism
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/entertainment/books/1992/09/27/thus-spake-elisabeth/7278ca62-b312-455a-9430-a056e0c8d4b2/

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #3697 on: July 07, 2022, 06:26:39 PM »
The last book I read is called The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now by Meg James. Kind of a serious read but a necessary one for myself.

Really excited to read Walden by Thoreau, requested that shit at my local library.

Trying to read The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Tolstoy and By night in Chile by Roberto Bolaño next. Kinda want to check out Midnight in Chernobyl maybe. Fuck i got the reading bug...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #3698 on: July 07, 2022, 10:13:13 PM »
The last book I read is called The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now by Meg James. Kind of a serious read but a necessary one for myself.

Really excited to read Walden by Thoreau, requested that shit at my local library.

Trying to read The Death of Ivan Ilyich by Tolstoy and By night in Chile by Roberto Bolaño next. Kinda want to check out Midnight in Chernobyl maybe. Fuck i got the reading bug...

I guess I shouldn’t make assumptions, but shocked you had to request Walden.   That seems like the stuff libraries are obligated to have

Re-reading the Sympathizer bc I just got the sequel The Committed in paperback

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #3699 on: July 07, 2022, 10:41:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I guess I shouldn’t make assumptions, but shocked you had to request Walden.   That seems like the stuff libraries are obligated to have

The copy they were supposed to have was lost/misplaced :-///

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #3700 on: July 07, 2022, 10:49:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The copy they were supposed to have was lost/misplaced :-///

I’m sure you’re like 99% of us who’d rather have a book in our hands, but public domain books like that aren’t too difficult to track down a legal pdf of on the internet

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #3701 on: July 08, 2022, 06:41:02 AM »
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3702 on: July 08, 2022, 09:56:42 AM »
Picked these up at a wonderful bookstore in Austin, TX. Free time reading:

This week's school reading:

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3703 on: July 12, 2022, 03:35:26 PM »

Kumiko

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3704 on: July 12, 2022, 08:49:22 PM »
Read A Confederacy of Dunces over the past coupla weeks. IDK. It was an enjoyable read, but it didn't really hit the way it seems to do for others. I wonder if it's because I don't relate to or didn't really root for Ignatius throughout it? I'm glad to have gone through with it though and wouldn't recommend against it, but... I also wouldn't urge anyone to read it ASAP. I've also been reading a ton of stuff from Amphetamine Sulphate this year. Some of it is incredible and others stink. Lots of stuff from people involved with noise/power electronics if you're into that scene. Their anthology Human Rights was a blast to read - except for, again, a few stinkers.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 09:31:59 AM by Kumiko »
i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #3705 on: July 12, 2022, 10:46:43 PM »
So, I gave myself a whole summer to get through this reading list, but finished it up in about two months:

Tried to mostly read 100 pages a day, but didn't always succeed.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3706 on: July 13, 2022, 12:07:23 PM »
How was Jacobsen? I got the audiobook of Area 51 and it was good and seemed well-researched right until the end where her “revelation” drifted into conspiracy land and made me re-think the whole book.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #3707 on: July 13, 2022, 06:25:05 PM »
It was good, seemed well researched. It was kind of cool that part of the book was her tracking one guy's 50 year career as a green beret/spy.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3708 on: July 19, 2022, 04:19:24 PM »
Anyone got any good audiobooks worth listening too?

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3709 on: August 01, 2022, 10:28:12 AM »
18h trainride tomorrow, recommendations on something exciting? some light-but-quality holiday-reading

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #3710 on: August 01, 2022, 02:19:15 PM »
currently reading this book on ufo abductions written by the one time department head of psychology at harvard(the accolade kinda makes the book/content feel less stigmatized
¯\_(ツ)_/¯). its mostly focused on 10 or so different abductee accounts and his interviews with them as he studied the similarties between them and their trauma. been digging it, had to put it down at a few points because it freaked me out a lil bit lol

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3711 on: August 02, 2022, 12:07:28 AM »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3712 on: August 02, 2022, 01:43:19 AM »
Has anyone read this?
https://cup.columbia.edu/book/skateboarding-between-subculture-and-the-olympics/9783837647655

Haven't read this, but one of the editors - Veith Kilberth - was pro for Think for a while.

I've been reading this on and off for about four months. While it's not exactly a pageturner due to its complexity, it's still a thrilling and entertaining read. Obviously, this is also highly relevant in the light of the ongoing war in Ukraine and the West's conflict with Russia. What the author highlights in her book is probably worse than any Le Carré novel. She was taken to court by some of the oligarchs - especially Abramovich - whose actions and dealings are investigated in the book, but the publishing house managed to print the book anyway. Great piece of investigative journalism!

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #3713 on: August 23, 2022, 07:07:11 AM »
i know poetry doesn't come up much in this thread...i started teaching two sections of "World Masterpieces 2: Encountering Modernity" this week. to review and practice reading and annotating strategies this first week of class, i always print out a few poems from modernist poets i'm digging to tussle with together in class, and one of the poems we're going to work on in tomorrow's classes is the following from Gwendolyn Brooks, who i firmly believe was to the South Side of Chicago, what people say Faulkner (or Flannery O'Connor, and/or Zora Neale Hurston) is to the South

"kitchenette building" (1945)

We are things of dry hours and the involuntary plan,
Grayed in, and gray. “Dream” makes a giddy sound, not
      strong
Like “rent,” “feeding a wife,” “satisfying a man.”

But could a dream send up through onion fumes
Its white and violet, fight with fried potatoes
And yesterday’s garbage ripening in the hall,
Flutter, or sing an aria down these rooms

Even if we were willing to let it in,
Had time to warm it, keep it very clean,
Anticipate a message, let it begin?

We wonder. But not well! not for a minute!
Since Number Five is out of the bathroom now,
We think of lukewarm water, hope to get in it.

since i'm at it, i'm also bringing in this classic from Wallace Stevens--this one always sparks terrific discussions

"Anecdote of the Jar" (1919)

I placed a jar in Tennessee,
And round it was, upon a hill.
It made the slovenly wilderness
Surround that hill.

The wilderness rose up to it,
And sprawled around, no longer wild.
The jar was round upon the ground
And tall and of a port in air.

It took dominion everywhere.
The jar was gray and bare.
It did not give of bird or bush,
Like nothing else in Tennessee.

Air-Bear

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3714 on: August 23, 2022, 01:51:08 PM »

One of my favourite books of all time. Really powerful depiction of what it was like to be a working-class family in the early 20th century with amazingly well-written characters. I can only recommend this one to everyone. My own copy is currently circulating my friend group and even some people who have barely read anything since high school really liked it.

Also, I have finally finished Dostojewski's "The Brothers Karamazov". Took me ages.

Really need to read something that's not 100+ years old next...

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3715 on: August 23, 2022, 05:57:32 PM »
Read “Bullet Train” after seeing the trailer for the movie a few months back. Book was a lot of fun. Now I don’t want to see the movie because I don’t want it to supplant my memory of the book.

RolledAnkles

• Rep: 11
« Reply #3716 on: August 23, 2022, 08:04:32 PM »

A Universal History of Infamy by Jorge Luis Borges a collection of short stories that are dark, yet really fun.

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai an angsty book about self loathing and depression. I really connected with it when I first read it since I was an angsty teenager at the time of reading it.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #3717 on: August 25, 2022, 01:27:26 PM »
Slowly working my way through this book of heady, existential short stories. Just read "The Message" and its like a jungle sometimes

Kumiko

• Rep: 56
« Reply #3718 on: August 25, 2022, 03:26:40 PM »
Lispector is my favorite author at this point in my life. Although I think her novels are all marvelous, it's her short stories where she really hits perfection. In September New Directions is coming out with a complete translation of her Cronicas which are also superb. They're even briefer pieces of writing, but still as heady and heavy. Some of them were fictitious and others were autobiographical. It's almost as if she had a twitter or blog to post shit. She would also develop some of the cronicas into short stories or incorporate certain ideas and lines from them into her novels, so you can kinda get a glimpse into seeing her develop her more rigorous works over time. Highly worth checking out if you like her but don't wanna step to a novel or need shorter reading for train rides or something.

Also discouraging Benjamin Moser's biography of her Why This World. There's a solid amount of information about her life, upbringing and all that, but much of it is just his interpretations of her works and it's p boring. There's also a lot in it about Brazilian politics at that time which only seems a bit tangential to her and her works by the end of the biography. I haven't read another biography of her, but from what I gather, she had a rather strong interest in esoteric/occult beliefs and he doesn't really address much of that.
i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3719 on: August 26, 2022, 09:54:01 AM »
I’ve read several Lispector novels and while I do enjoy them, I find them draining in a way her short stories are not. I have to get back into reading her stories again.

Agreed about the Moser biography. I was quite disappointed in it. It’s fine as a historical document with some interpretation but it misses that deep dive into her a person that I was hoping for.