Author Topic: books to read  (Read 434893 times)

Deputy Wendell

Re: books to read
« Reply #3240 on: April 29, 2020, 06:43:07 AM »
i'm 2 chapters into my dissertation--in the area of "literary and cultural studies"--and this is the first time i've ever even entered this thread, which i think says a lot about the negative side of researching, writing about, and teaching literature. i usually teach a 1 or 2 "composition" courses each semester, and 1 literature course, so combined with my diss work, i have to go out of my way to make simply reading a book a leisurely/relaxing experience.

anyway, this is the last story that we're tussling with in the "World Masterpieces 2" course i'm teaching this insane semester (we have 3 class meeting left on Zoom), and i've never read it before, and it's incredible, and a little intimidating to teach:

i'm sure it's been mentioned in here before, but i highly recommend...

edit: wow, sorry about the hugeness of the image, but i'll leave it because it's a cool cover...

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #3241 on: April 29, 2020, 07:51:24 AM »
Posting this cause Cormac McCarthy got a shoutout on Cairo's The Bunt episode today, it should be his complete writings:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/880843e01e3f1fade4f091d32a5ec05220200429144808/f4a3c3a3da7e48bce9bbb1ce49757d0220200429144855/c0b060

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #3242 on: April 29, 2020, 08:56:06 AM »
i'm 2 chapters into my dissertation--in the area of "literary and cultural studies"--and this is the first time i've ever even entered this thread, which i think says a lot about the negative side of researching, writing about, and teaching literature. i usually teach a 1 or 2 "composition" courses each semester, and 1 literature course, so combined with my diss work, i have to go out of my way to make simply reading a book a leisurely/relaxing experience.

anyway, this is the last story that we're tussling with in the "World Masterpieces 2" course i'm teaching this insane semester (we have 3 class meeting left on Zoom), and i've never read it before, and it's incredible, and a little intimidating to teach:

edit: wow, sorry about the hugeness of the image, but i'll leave it because it's a cool cover...

Just ordered it.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #3243 on: April 29, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just ordered it.

cheers man...looking forward to maybe a little Slap discussion on it down the line...

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #3244 on: April 30, 2020, 08:45:16 PM »
Just finished this, and enjoyed it in almost equal parts for the light it sheds on the struggle facing conservation work in the field, and in the politicized and competitive worlds of academics and the conservation industry. Fossey's life is presented here mostly through her own notes and journal entries. Mowatt is clear in the introduction that he considers this book to carry Fossey's words as well as his own, so its no surprise that hers is the dominant voice.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2549
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3245 on: May 01, 2020, 08:15:33 AM »
Finished Memory Police a few days ago. I liked it. Definitely resonates more given the situation we're in. I had more thoughts but they've disappeared in the meantime, no pun intended.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3246 on: May 01, 2020, 08:41:50 PM »
Recently bought Thomas Piketty's Capital.

Interesting so far, but a lot more difficult than I had assumed.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #3247 on: May 01, 2020, 09:31:32 PM »
This has probably been mentioned before but Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Read it with his voice as the narration and you're good for the remainder of May.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3248 on: May 02, 2020, 03:33:37 AM »
I'm about to wrap up Half of a Yellow Sun. Must-read for anyone who's interested in post-colonial Africa. I knew next to nothing about the Nigerian Civil War before reading this. If nothing else, at least I've learned what Jello Biafra's name was inspired by.

A friend recommended this book by French up-and-comer Édouard Louis and this book will be next. The snippets I've read so far sound really intense. It's about the author's coming-out in a homophobic environment and the atmosphere sounds as depressing as French novels get. I'm sure I'll love it.

The same friend also suggested this book, which he can't read himself, because a German translation hasn't been published yet. I had never heard of it but it sounds amazing. It's won a bunch of awards for journalism and non-fictional writing in 2019, and from what I understand, it's one of Obama's favorite books.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:35:08 AM by AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice »

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #3249 on: May 02, 2020, 06:56:57 AM »
This has probably been mentioned before but Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. Read it with his voice as the narration and you're good for the remainder of May.

Love that book! Read it when I was working as a commis chef in a restuarant at 18. It had a big impact on me and is one of the reasons I spent a chunk of my life in Japan. Probably read it about 5 times.

Just finished Edward Snowden's book which I enjoyed, filled in some of the gaps in the story I had missed from tv/interviews etc. I don't think the next ten years are gonna be great for our civil liberties unless we don't all stop being so apathetic about them.

Just started 'No Longer Human' by Osamu Dazai. Only about 30 pages in but has a really heavy feel about. The author was a menace, multiple suicide attempts, one of which he lived but his wife perished. Probaly the next author I am excited to take a deep dive on.

Also bought 'The Cutting Room' by Louise Welsh after a friend recommended it.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #3250 on: May 02, 2020, 08:10:13 AM »
Finished Memory Police a few days ago. I liked it. Definitely resonates more given the situation we're in. I had more thoughts but they've disappeared in the meantime, no pun intended.

Haha nice. I really liked the atmosphere of the book. It felt like light and delicate to me? Hard to explain but that’s the best I could.

One of my favorite authors Alexandra Kleeman actually wrote a short story a few years ago that’s oddly similar to The Memory Police although less dystopian/authoritarian and more apocalyptic. It’s definitely a total coincidence as it was published well before the English translation was available but it’s a funny coincidence none the less. Good story too that feels very appropriate now: https://www.guernicamag.com/you-disappearing/

I took a break and read a bunch of New Mutants comics and listened to some audiobooks, but am reading The Revisionaries by A. R. Moxon now. I’m only about 1/5 into it but it has been fun so far! Pretty weird, Pynchon-esque kind of humor but less overwhelmingly crazy and complex.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #3251 on: May 03, 2020, 10:51:46 AM »

The same friend also suggested this book, which he can't read himself, because a German translation hasn't been published yet. I had never heard of it but it sounds amazing. It's won a bunch of awards for journalism and non-fictional writing in 2019, and from what I understand, it's one of Obama's favorite books.

This book is really good. Listened to the audio version. If you have any interest in the IRA and have ever heard of "The Disappeared" then I would definitely recommend it.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #3252 on: May 07, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Haha yeah, sorry that was such a detailed bitching about DFW. I dove deep because I thought I was going crazy. I can definitely see why people like him so much and like IJ because the things I don’t like in his fiction are what I like in his non-fiction.

I love Nabokov and partly enjoy his grumpy, asshole takes on other authors even if I don’t agree. I haven’t read much Dostoevsky, but know his opinion on him is highly contentious. It kinda makes sense when you remember Nabokov tried to downplay deeper meaning in his analysis and writings so they were really doing very different things with literature.

I have read Calvino and Borges and like them both but it’s been a few years since I picked them up. The only problem with Borges is I’m not a huge short story fan so I need to really be in the mood to go through a collection of stories. I’d rather pick up a novel or even a novella.

I’ll look into Autobiography of a Corpse - thanks for the rec!
[close]

Krzhizhanovsky reminds me of a sort of soviet Borges or Calvino. If you aren't big on the short stories, you might not like him. Very creative writing though.

Even without attaching some deep analysis to his writing, Dostoyevsky is a beast of a writer. I think deep down inside, Nabokov resented him because he knew he would never be on his level. Nabokov is a great writer, a genius even, that being said, dude is nowhere close to Dostoyevsky in skill.  He may be remembered for centuries to come but he'll never be one of absolute best writers to come out of Russia.

I went on a big Russian tear for like six years. Every other book I read was a Russian to English translation and I got a decent amount of enjoyment from comparing translations and whatnot. I wouldn't even put Nabokov in the top 5. Even when it comes to other writers alive at the same time, Solzhenitsyn beats him out pretty easily when it comes to quality. I genuinely think, outward ego aside, Nabokov was smart enough to realize this. He realized it and added credence to his legitimacy by being overtly intelligent and attacking other writers that brought something to the table that he simply could not.

Sorry for my Nabokov rant but that's kind of how I view him. Really great but not the best and much more insufferable than he needs to be because he can't admit he's not the best.

I still like him though.
[close]

Are you judging just his Russian novels compared to other Russians? I'll admit that I don't have the ability to judge that, but his English works stand over so many people. But also no need to apologize for the rant - I did the same about DFW!

Yeah, I meant compared to other Russians. Other than a little calvino, borges, and some scifi here and there I'm pretty much stuck on Russian lit.

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #3253 on: May 08, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
Thomas Sowell is rad. read him.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #3254 on: May 09, 2020, 09:31:59 PM »

Yeah, I meant compared to other Russians. Other than a little calvino, borges, and some scifi here and there I'm pretty much stuck on Russian lit.

I also really like a lot of Russians, though I'm by no means any kind of authority. My favs are Gorky and Solzhenitsyn, this is either a recommendation or a question as to whether or not you like them?

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #3255 on: May 10, 2020, 06:15:26 PM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:17:00 PM by Manny Fapuiao »
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

Mew

• Rep: -31
« Reply #3256 on: May 10, 2020, 06:20:48 PM »
ursula k le guin wizard of earthsea

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3257 on: May 10, 2020, 10:43:43 PM »
Just finished Jack Black's (not that Jack Black) "You Can't Win" and I'd recommend it. It's an autobiography written by a homeless burglar in the 1920's and it's pretty fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can%27t_Win_(book)#/media/File:You_can't_win_jack_black_first_edition.jpg

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3259 on: June 02, 2020, 12:23:50 PM »
I'm going to reread Kesey's "Sometimes a Great Notion." It's an epic novel of North America.

"Bark Skins" is a cool one if you're looking for a well written, easy to read novel about the conquest of the States in search of timber.

Sometimes I wish I'd continued studying literature and poetics in grad school rather than social work. With that, though, "the body keeps the score" is a fantastic, understandable book explaining trauma, ptsd, the brain, and somatic relationship. 
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

FleeceFlannel

« Reply #3260 on: June 02, 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
I know someone mentioned it years ago in this thread but I figured it’s worth another mention.  Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock is an interesting read.  It’s a good look into the lives of people living in a small midwestern town.  Crazy but real characters and it really gives you a sense of what it’s like to be there.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3261 on: June 02, 2020, 03:15:17 PM »
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/hakim-bey-t-a-z-the-temporary-autonomous-zone-ontological-anarchy-poetic-terrorism

Hell yeah. Hakim Bey is always a fun read, but - full transparency - he was affiliated with NAMBLA and is definitely a proponent of man-boy love. Just FYI. I think most of his stuff is great.

I'm in grad school, so I have to pack in all my free reading over the summer. Right now I've got a bunch of stuff in rotation, including:
Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy
Revisiting a bunch of Henry Miller stuff
Philosophical works of Bataille, plus Blue of Noon
Carlyle's Sartor Resartus (sort of school related)
William Blake (hoping to read Northrup Frye in conjunction, but this might be asking too much)
Nietzsche, always

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #3262 on: June 02, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »
Hell yeah on Bataille. I just read a recent collection of his poems translated by Stuart Kendall, who has been translating a lot of his stuff over the past few years. He’s a great Bataille scholar if you’re interested. I have a few of Bataille’s history / economics / theory books to read now but those always take me so much longer to finish so I have to be in the mood for them.

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #3263 on: June 02, 2020, 05:33:04 PM »
I really liked 'All Quite on the Western Front' by Erich Maria Remarque, I dont know if it has been mentioned on this thread before (its a well known novel so possibly.) Its a fictional story from the POV of a German soldier named Paul set during WW1, Once I started reading it I couldnt put it down (might not be the same for others though.)
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #3264 on: June 02, 2020, 08:51:06 PM »
This.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2549
« Reply #3265 on: June 02, 2020, 08:55:10 PM »
I really liked 'All Quite on the Western Front' by Erich Maria Remarque, I dont know if it has been mentioned on this thread before (its a well known novel so possibly.) Its a fictional story from the POV of a German soldier named Paul set during WW1, Once I started reading it I couldnt put it down (might not be the same for others though.)

Seconded. Great antiwar book.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

vindogg

« Reply #3266 on: June 02, 2020, 10:58:37 PM »
Just finished If I fall, if I die by Michael Chrsitie. He had a part in one of the anti social shop videos in the early 2000s it would seem. Anyhow, a good book to escape into in these times and it incorporates skateboarding in a natural and careful way. I'm sure some of you older heads will appreciate the graphic he chooses as his first deck. I haven't read his other books but I plan on it now.

FleeceFlannel

« Reply #3267 on: June 03, 2020, 06:49:23 AM »
Just finished If I fall, if I die by Michael Chrsitie. He had a part in one of the anti social shop videos in the early 2000s it would seem. Anyhow, a good book to escape into in these times and it incorporates skateboarding in a natural and careful way. I'm sure some of you older heads will appreciate the graphic he chooses as his first deck. I haven't read his other books but I plan on it now.

I’m gonna order this one up.  Thanks for the tip!

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #3269 on: June 07, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
mArLeY