Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431222 times)

oyolar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: books to read
« Reply #3450 on: February 05, 2021, 01:47:52 PM »
Found a bunch of obscure philosophy books on that site so thanks for sharing! I’m still taking forever to get through the Knausgaard essays but am almost done. They’re fine but can get a little meh on their own. They definitely don’t have the same force as My Struggle and reading them all together is doesn’t work as well as reading them separately as they’re published elsewhere.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #3451 on: February 05, 2021, 02:02:25 PM »
I feel like I should give My Struggle another try. I was really hyped when I got it, and I love the idea of the book. But when I started reading it, I almost found it to descriptive. And I think I recall stopping at a point that was leading up to a negative event, and you could tell something bad was going to happen, but you knew you still had 10 pages to go and it made me anxious or something. But maybe that’s a good thing.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3452 on: February 05, 2021, 06:56:40 PM »
I loved the series but I cannot recommend them to anyone because I honestly have no idea how to tell whether someone else would like them or not. The massive details and drawn out emotional context are definitely one of the major themes and drivers of the series but if you don't care for how he does those, you won't like the series. I feel like you can tell pretty quickly within Book 1 (maybe 100 - 200 pages in?) whether or not the series is for you because it does not vary from that style and vibe for the remaining books.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3453 on: February 06, 2021, 02:45:58 AM »
Found a bunch of obscure philosophy books on that site so thanks for sharing! I’m still taking forever to get through the Knausgaard essays but am almost done. They’re fine but can get a little meh on their own. They definitely don’t have the same force as My Struggle and reading them all together is doesn’t work as well as reading them separately as they’re published elsewhere.

Which essay collection are you reading? In the Land of the Cyclops?

I must say that - despite loving books 1 to 5 of My Struggle - I was a little put off by book 6. Never finished it to be honest and at this point, I'm not sure I ever will. It's not that I don't like a demanding analysis every once in a while, but I had no idea where exactly he was going with that Celan poem. I think what was really bothering me was the contrast to the emotional depth and style of previous books. Even though I might have missed something, it seems to me like Knausgaard is out of his element when he writes complex literary analyses. I'm not saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about - he obviously does - but I think he can't convey his points the same way he can when he talks about real life events. What did you think about book 6?

That being said, I feel some of his best writing is in this underrated gem of a a book. To me, it's up there with Fever Pitch as one of the best books about football ever. Hands down. Strong recommendation if you're into football.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #3454 on: February 06, 2021, 02:26:28 PM »

b-ok.cc/

anything you can imagine, no payment needed. z library, boyeee

Duuuu-huuu-de!!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3455 on: February 06, 2021, 04:40:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I must say that - despite loving books 1 to 5 of My Struggle - I was a little put off by book 6. Never finished it to be honest and at this point, I'm not sure I ever will. It's not that I don't like a demanding analysis every once in a while, but I had no idea where exactly he was going with that Celan poem. I think what was really bothering me was the contrast to the emotional depth and style of previous books. Even though I might have missed something, it seems to me like Knausgaard is out of his element when he writes complex literary analyses. I'm not saying that he doesn't know what he's talking about - he obviously does - but I think he can't convey his points the same way he can when he talks about real life events. What did you think about book 6?

That being said, I feel some of his best writing is in this underrated gem of a a book. To me, it's up there with Fever Pitch as one of the best books about football ever. Hands down. Strong recommendation if you're into football.

Yep - In the Land of the Cyclops

I agree with you completely about Knausgaard. I definitely like his personal essay, recounting his life versus his criticism voice. Those parts of My Struggle were definitely my least favorite unless he directly tied it to his inner experiences. Book 6 suffered because of that, especially the middle third about Hitler (and Breivik to a much lesser extent). I understand what he was doing but the best parts of that section were the brief times he put his life in the fore and described how it personally impacted him. I will say that the last third is MUCH better. It's more in line with the other 5 books and I liked the first third (also save for the Celan analysis). It was altogether an uneven end to the series but does make sense as a whole and the last third makes up for it and is a satisfying conclusion.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #3456 on: February 06, 2021, 04:46:33 PM »
I read George Saunders' Tenth of December book of short stories in college and really loved it, I'm a sucker for bleak shit. Also, something about the short story collection format is really attractive to me. Reminds me of when my parents would read Stephen King's collections to spook us out around the campfire or on Halloween.

I wanna give Pastoralia a shot. Anybody else fuck with a short story?
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #3457 on: February 06, 2021, 05:15:34 PM »
Anybody else fuck with a short story?

I do. Mavis Gallant and Paul Bowles are my champions in this regard, and also my favourite writers, probably not a coincidence.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3458 on: February 06, 2021, 07:54:43 PM »
Mother by Maxim Gorky

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #3459 on: February 07, 2021, 02:27:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yep - In the Land of the Cyclops

I agree with you completely about Knausgaard. I definitely like his personal essay, recounting his life versus his criticism voice. Those parts of My Struggle were definitely my least favorite unless he directly tied it to his inner experiences. Book 6 suffered because of that, especially the middle third about Hitler (and Breivik to a much lesser extent). I understand what he was doing but the best parts of that section were the brief times he put his life in the fore and described how it personally impacted him. I will say that the last third is MUCH better. It's more in line with the other 5 books and I liked the first third (also save for the Celan analysis). It was altogether an uneven end to the series but does make sense as a whole and the last third makes up for it and is a satisfying conclusion.

Yeah, I that makes sense. I actually liked the first third - about his dad's cousin who objects against his books and their portrayal of his father - and in general enjoyed reading about the process of writing and publishing the first book - up until the point where he starts discussing the Celan poem.

I haven't heard anything good about the Hitler essay, but for some odd reason, I still feel like I could be interested in that part. What specifically put you off?

You actually made me consider giving the book another try. The question is whether I should just skip the Celan part or start over. But yeah, now I'm totally looking forward to the last third. Thanks, man!

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3460 on: February 07, 2021, 08:21:13 PM »
It was fine, but it devolved into such a biographical and historical analysis that it became a slog. I think that it's obviously important to address the shared title and to set up the contrast between the base and unremarkable Hitler and the sublime Celan (If he is going to include Celan which...eh?). And in the Hitler essay, we see the dark mirror of what can happen to failed artistic ambition in a world reeling from upheaval and what it means to be isolated. This review: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-form-of-the-small-life-karl-ove-knausgaards-my-struggle-book-six/ does a good job of describing the point of section 2 at its best. The problem is that "at its best" is maybe a third or 40% of the entire section? The rest is just overly thorough details of Hitler's life that could have been greatly condensed without losing context. And by not condensing them, we just get bogged down by these details so we lose the emotional immediacy that's the point of that biographical turn.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3461 on: February 08, 2021, 07:18:03 AM »
I read George Saunders' Tenth of December book of short stories in college and really loved it, I'm a sucker for bleak shit. Also, something about the short story collection format is really attractive to me. Reminds me of when my parents would read Stephen King's collections to spook us out around the campfire or on Halloween.

I wanna give Pastoralia a shot. Anybody else fuck with a short story?
Anton chekov. His short stories are perfect. Pushkin has some shorts too.
I pretty much just plug russian lit on this jawn.
Whoa. Danger.

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 257
« Reply #3462 on: February 08, 2021, 08:23:01 AM »
I recently finished "The Hard Life" by Flann O Brian (Brian O'Nolan), it's a really bizarre yet captivating novella set in Ireland at the turn of the century (1900). It charts the adolescense of a young man in Dublin, and his brother and father, I wouldn't want to ruin the plot, it's odd and is riddled with criticism of the Irish education system, the Catholic Church. I picked up another of his books called "The Third Policeman", released posthumously (I think they found the book in his house after he'd died and got it published). Apparently he used to write in to the local newspaper pretending to be two different people, argueing with himself about different topics in the public opinions section, but they only figured out it was him after he died and they checked his house. I would definitely recommend The Hard Life if you enjoy odd fiction, it's told really well, I think you can find most of his work online for fairly cheap.

edit - RE the Russian literature posts, I read Crime and Punishment a number of years ago and loved it, I tried reading The Karamazov Brothers (sp?) but couldn't get through it. Not Russian but I also tried reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Phillip K Dick, but struggled again. Maybe soon I'll be able to get through it, my attention span and ability to concentrate is awful! But reading books definitely helps me rebuild it somewhat
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:34:26 AM by goeatsomefriedbread »

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #3463 on: February 08, 2021, 08:40:12 AM »
Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fanon is a classic and a fantastic work of art

Frank and Fred

« Reply #3464 on: February 08, 2021, 09:03:10 AM »

I read a lot of post-war American Lit in university but this never came across my radar until now. Picked it up to honor Black History Month and so far its a stunning read.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #3465 on: February 08, 2021, 09:26:31 AM »
Wretched of the Earth by Frantz Fanon is a classic and a fantastic work of art

yes...absolutely...and indispensable...and this passage comes to mind a lot these days when i look at all of the nominal "liberals" who plague what passes for "the left" in this country right now:

"The unpreparedness of the educated classes, the lack of practical links between them and the mass of the people, their laziness, and, let it be said, their cowardice at the decisive moment of the struggle will give rise to tragic mishaps."

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3466 on: February 08, 2021, 12:53:18 PM »
I recently finished "The Hard Life" by Flann O Brian (Brian O'Nolan), it's a really bizarre yet captivating novella set in Ireland at the turn of the century (1900). It charts the adolescense of a young man in Dublin, and his brother and father, I wouldn't want to ruin the plot, it's odd and is riddled with criticism of the Irish education system, the Catholic Church. I picked up another of his books called "The Third Policeman", released posthumously (I think they found the book in his house after he'd died and got it published). Apparently he used to write in to the local newspaper pretending to be two different people, argueing with himself about different topics in the public opinions section, but they only figured out it was him after he died and they checked his house. I would definitely recommend The Hard Life if you enjoy odd fiction, it's told really well, I think you can find most of his work online for fairly cheap.

I have probably never laughed out loud as hard or as many times while reading a book as I did with The Hard Life. I've probably posted something about The Third Policeman more than once in this thread, too. Has to be in my top 3 for novels. I can't recommend O'Brien's stuff enough.

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3467 on: February 08, 2021, 12:54:02 PM »

I read a lot of post-war American Lit in university but this never came across my radar until now. Picked it up to honor Black History Month and so far its a stunning read.

Also, going to have to put this on the ol list. Good looking out!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3468 on: February 08, 2021, 03:24:17 PM »
That William Melvin Kelley book looks awesome. Always judge a book by its cover.

I finished this recently. It's written in script format as it is about asian-americans in television/media so it is a quick read but quite good. Hence the Naitonal Book Award I guess...

I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #3469 on: February 11, 2021, 06:29:13 AM »
Just finished the first part of Remembrance of Things Past. I definitely see why it’s so well regarded (the sentences are absolutely mad, but read so well, and the way the story tracks the narrator’s memories is unbelievable in its scope), but man do I not care one lick about French aristocracy ca. 1875. I have to will myself to read 10-15 pages before I get bogged down and have to leave the book for a little while. I’d stop reading it altogether except for the fact that occasionally the story will really open up for 10 pages or so, and those moments are some of the most refreshing and touching I’ve seen in a book and make the rest of it totally worth it.

JLay24

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3470 on: February 15, 2021, 06:15:05 PM »
Recently finished Pachinko. Anyone else read it? I thought it was wonderful and well written.

Also, anybody know where or how to download audiobooks ala Z-Library?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3471 on: February 16, 2021, 04:07:39 PM »
I just discovered CLR James and am reading this right now. I don't know a damn thing about cricket but am enjoying the book thoroughly. I find it very comforting/engrossing.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3472 on: February 17, 2021, 02:43:41 AM »

dont know if anyones mentioned this, but this book is fucking incredible. and its true. read it. i started reading it a second time as soon as i finished.

Got that one based on this recommendation, so thanks. Is there anything comparable but shedding more light on the loyalist side of the conflict?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #3473 on: February 17, 2021, 08:27:15 AM »

dont know if anyones mentioned this, but this book is fucking incredible. and its true. read it. i started reading it a second time as soon as i finished.

I need to finish this

Grind King Rims

« Reply #3474 on: February 17, 2021, 09:07:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Got that one based on this recommendation, so thanks. Is there anything comparable but shedding more light on the loyalist side of the conflict?

Don't worry about it.

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -75
« Reply #3475 on: February 17, 2021, 09:11:24 AM »
this thread is great, big thanks for linking z library.
currently reading and enjoying this one-

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #3476 on: February 17, 2021, 09:27:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Don't worry about it.

PROTESTANT DETECTED

DEPLOY ALL GERRYS

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #3477 on: February 17, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »
this thread is great, big thanks for linking z library.
currently reading and enjoying this one-

can't believe someone brought J.B.Jackson into this thread--i love it and it's great to see, and Discovering the Vernacular Landscape is one of my favorites.

honestly, throughout my graduate work and beyond, he's probably been more influential on me than anybody else (other than maybe David Harvey)--i consider myself to be an urban/suburban historian, i just approach it through a cultural lens, and he's definitely been an inspiration.

by the way, as i understand it, these folks were pretty tight with Jackson, and i've seen their seminal Learning From Las Vegas described as being a "version of JB Jackson's modern anthropology through the lens of ego-driven architects"

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -75
« Reply #3478 on: February 17, 2021, 11:16:31 AM »
can't believe someone brought J.B.Jackson into this thread--i love it and it's great to see, and Discovering the Vernacular Landscape is one of my favorites.

honestly, throughout my graduate work and beyond, he's probably been more influential on me than anybody else (other than maybe David Harvey)--i consider myself to be an urban/suburban historian, i just approach it through a cultural lens, and he's definitely been an inspiration.

by the way, as i understand it, these folks were pretty tight with Jackson, and i've seen their seminal Learning From Las Vegas described as being a "version of JB Jackson's modern anthropology through the lens of ego-driven architects"
Honestly was a random thrift store find for me, I'm always on the lookout for university press stuff, frequently interesting if outside my normal range of reading.

I've really enjoyed the first couple chapters establishing his usage of 'landscape' and 'vernacular' in-depth, but in a easily understood/digestible way.

Appreciate the recommendation on Leaving Las Vegas, I love to go on mini deep dives with new subjects and I anticipate this book getting me warmed up for more.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3479 on: February 18, 2021, 01:27:10 PM »
Started reading The Discomfort of Evening. I’m only about 30 pages into it but it’s brutal. It starts off with the death of the narrator’s brother and focuses on it in a very impactful way.