Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 954934 times)

Pintofguinness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10680 on: May 24, 2024, 07:50:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been on a Cronenburg trip recently - naked lunch, eXiztance, metropolis, viderodrome, crimes of future and crash are what I’ve seen so far
Naked lunch was my fav and exiztence and videodrome kinda tie at 2nd , crimes and metropolis I still enjoyed aswell but not as interested and crash was kind of a disappointment.
Never knew how into the gross horror / surrealist anatomy kind of stuff I’d be but here I am - anyone have any recommendations of similar films (not by cronenburg) (also no lynch movies I’ve seen em all)
[close]

Don't miss his sons latest movie Infinity Pool
[close]
Will report back in a few days once I watch it! Thanks
[close]

If you’re going to be a completionist - his daughter Caitlin has one in theaters (kinda) called Humane.   Might be closer to being a rental at this point
[close]
Watched this last night with my girl and we enjoyed it - kind of a classic dinner party with a twist horror plot which I always seem to enjoy, it also had a lot more dark humor then I expected - very different flavor then her fathers work which I really appreciated- I would of liked this movie just as much without it being presented to me in a nepotistic manner
[close]
You've seen his remake of The Fly right? It's my go to if I'm recommending Cronenberg because it's 80s mainstream but also couldn't have been made by anyone else. Also Scanners wasn't on your list and is pretty essential. Has more of a plot like Videodrome where you're running to keep up. Finally, The Brood. The Brood is so goddam good. He made it during his first divorce and you can tell.

M Butterfly is problematic as hell and worth a skip unless you like dated, third hand takes about trans life. Still haven't tracked down Fast Company so maybe I need to finally check that one of the list. Otherwise, I recommend his entire body of work. He bridles against being branded a horror guy really early on and so was always trying to push out of that box. Some of Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna's stuff could be called Cronenbergian particularly From Beyond.
Thanks for all of this - I saw scanners a while ago randomly - would have to rewatch to remember much of it though- have not seen the fly or the brood so will try and watch those over next week or so - will also look into Gordon and Yuzna’s work - thanks again for the recommendations n info

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #10681 on: May 24, 2024, 08:09:06 AM »
Saw Once Upon a Time in the West last night. Almost everyone has seen it, but it was nice to see it on a big screen with the Morricone soundtrack blaring through a decent sound system (even if from a magnetic track).

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #10682 on: May 26, 2024, 09:13:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I had a lot of fun at The Fall Guy.

They kept reusing a song and it gave me an extra laugh. Reminded me of Orange County and “Butterfly” by Crazy Town. Over the top & hilarious.
[close]

Wasn’t it a KISS song.   Agreed on the movie.
[close]
Oh wow it's the disco sell-out song I was Made for Lovin' You. A stone cold classic and a sesh hype up favorite from way way back.

That’s the one! Big dumb fun, I thought. Plus, thinking about KISS always makes me think of Mini KISS and that brings a smile to my face no matter my circumstances. I should listen to more KISS.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 21
« Reply #10683 on: May 26, 2024, 11:21:53 PM »
rewatched Mad Max Fury Road last night (in prep for Furiosa) and holy fucking shit it's a top tier action movie. every single scene slaps

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #10684 on: May 31, 2024, 10:04:37 PM »
Finally watched harmony korines Beach Bum and while it wasn't great by any means, it was a fun watch and hit the spot for what I expected

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #10685 on: June 01, 2024, 03:33:55 AM »
Godzilla minus one

Feel like it's been months since I've seen something I genuinely think is good but saw it today and thought it was pretty decent.

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10686 on: June 03, 2024, 07:20:52 PM »
i finally watched TMNT Mutant Mayhem... it is easily the best TMNT movie
and my kids liked it which is a bonus (they even started listening to De La and TCQ)

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #10687 on: June 03, 2024, 09:01:55 PM »
my daughters had a phase with mutant mayhem so i’ve probably seen it upwards of ten times, fine with me. my two year old still asks me to play the song from “inja turtles” (meaning ‘ante up’) and i’m like oh hell yeah every time.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10688 on: June 04, 2024, 12:41:09 AM »
Finally watched harmony korines Beach Bum and while it wasn't great by any means, it was a fun watch and hit the spot for what I expected

Dude, I thought it was pretty hilarious seeing it in theaters when it came out. Zac Efron's character was a fun cameo, even though he did some fucked up shit.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10689 on: June 04, 2024, 04:22:57 AM »
Bull (2021)

Short and to the point. No fat on this movie at all. I can't say it's fun tho and I'm def done with this type of violent thing for a while.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10690 on: June 04, 2024, 11:22:08 AM »
Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves was a good frickin time.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 257
« Reply #10691 on: June 04, 2024, 05:30:57 PM »

Yes.   It’s very annoying that there are these very fun movies like that Fall Guy, Furiosa that people don’t go and see in theaters which means more like them won’t be made

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10692 on: June 04, 2024, 05:44:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes.   It’s very annoying that there are these very fun movies like that Fall Guy, Furiosa that people don’t go and see in theaters which means more like them won’t be made

I have seen two out of the three! I honestly hadn’t heard of the movie until this thread; probably from you, so ‘preciate that recommendation. Then my ex was hyping it too.

I will probably rewatch Fall Guy and catch Furiosa on a Tuesday. I had never heard of the game “Uncharted,” so had no expectations for the movie, but man what a dud.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10693 on: June 04, 2024, 11:14:59 PM »
Blow Up (1966) was fuckin sick. Way more than I anticipated from the basic plot I read.  1960s British swinging culture around a photographer who seems to stumble across a murder in his photographs.

Definitely gonna watch Antonioni's The Passenger next

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10694 on: June 05, 2024, 08:20:53 AM »
Blow Up (1966) was fuckin sick. Way more than I anticipated from the basic plot I read.  1960s British swinging culture around a photographer who seems to stumble across a murder in his photographs.

I think Blow Out, the De Palma version, is better

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10695 on: June 05, 2024, 08:23:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I have seen two out of the three! I honestly hadn’t heard of the movie until this thread; probably from you, so ‘preciate that recommendation. Then my ex was hyping it too.

I will probably rewatch Fall Guy and catch Furiosa on a Tuesday. I had never heard of the game “Uncharted,” so had no expectations for the movie, but man what a dud.

The Bradley Cooper cameo is what makes me like him.  Guy cares about what he does but doesn’t seem to take himself too seriously

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10696 on: June 06, 2024, 07:40:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah I actually saw that first some years back but think I'll have to rewatch it. Can't say I remember it at all other than an impression that I loved it

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 84
« Reply #10697 on: June 06, 2024, 09:15:01 PM »
Finally caught Godzilla: Minus One. This is the best that Godzilla has ever been portrayed. The story was fantastic as well.
I wish I had caught it in theaters is my only regret here. I would have loved to have felt theater speakers power of his atomic breath.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10698 on: June 07, 2024, 08:07:55 AM »
Just out of interest for anyone's who's recently watch Godzilla minus one on Netflix were the subtitles really out of sync for you? I watched it with the closed caption subtitles because for some reason the regular english subtitles are like 10 seconds out. I checked a few days later and it was the same. Makes me wonder how many people watched it like that if that's how it is for everyone.

Also watched dinner in america and time addicts. I liked both.

Also watched Paris underground (think that's what it was called) about a shark in Paris. It had some good parts but overall I think it's time to start putting people in jail for making lazy shark movies

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
« Reply #10699 on: June 10, 2024, 12:31:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is straight sacrilege. But I've appreciated a lot if your recs and opinions, so happy to just agree to disagree.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #10700 on: June 10, 2024, 07:37:11 AM »
Max has Inland Empire (never saw it before) started it at 11 last night and this was a bad idea. Had to turn it off a 1. Didn’t realize it was a 3 hour movie.

What an amazing movie. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more uneasy watching a film. When Laura Dern’s character entered the dated looking little house I was starting to feel almost nauseous. I think my eyes were even watering when Laura Dern’s eyes were watering. Would have loved to finish but I would have been up until 4 AM—went to bed a 1:30 and woke up at 1:45 and thought I slept for 2-3 hours and felt wide awake.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1395
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10701 on: June 10, 2024, 10:51:40 AM »
Max has Inland Empire (never saw it before) started it at 11 last night and this was a bad idea. Had to turn it off a 1. Didn’t realize it was a 3 hour movie.

What an amazing movie. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more uneasy watching a film. When Laura Dern’s character entered the dated looking little house I was starting to feel almost nauseous. I think my eyes were even watering when Laura Dern’s eyes were watering. Would have loved to finish but I would have been up until 4 AM—went to bed a 1:30 and woke up at 1:45 and thought I slept for 2-3 hours and felt wide awake.
Appreciate the heads up! I used to have a 480p DVD rip of that I lost in a hard drive failure and I have never gotten around to finishing it. Good to know it's on Max as it was pretty buried at the time of it's release.

Godzilla Minus One - 3 and 1/2 stars
I watched it on NF in JP with ENG subs and did not have any sync issues with the sound and subs. To me, this will probably stay the second best Godzilla movie after the original, which I think was underrated for decades because of the US recut. The OG is about as potent a metaphor as you can ask for and is an example of horror doing what it does best, expressing cultural anxiety with a concept that is universally terrifying. I would put it in the same category as James Whale's Frankenstein movies or George Romero's Dead movies. So yeah big estimation for Godzilla Minus One to fit into. I liked it much better than Shin Godzilla, which I thought was mostly just another attempt to update the monster with some yucky new mutations and some critiques of Japanese bureaucracy that I'm not sure I completely got. The real ding on SG is that it has roughly the same plot as Return of Godzilla (1984). GM1 is very smart to start off character first and that's what carries this movie through. Kaiju movies are full of characters that are more tropey than real but that wasn't the case with this one. My main critiques are that it lapses into melodrama and gets slightly overwrought a few times but I'd rather that then the usual cardboard archetypes. The set pieces are all really well done and also more carefully set up than usual so it feels like an actual movie and less like a bunch of necessary but draggy junk happening before Godzilla shows up and starts wrecking shit. Finally, this is maybe the first Godzilla movie I can think of that gets a straight up happy ending. Since I liked all the characters so much, that was a nice surprise!
unreadable trap logo

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #10702 on: June 10, 2024, 11:30:52 AM »
Furiousa was very good, definitely going to watch it again.
Chris Hemsworth and ATJ killed it.

Shame it has to live in the shadow of Fury Road.
I mean, talk about a tough act to follow.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10703 on: June 11, 2024, 10:51:02 PM »
Just saw Furiosa. It's good I liked it but didn't love it. Pretty big fury road fan so that might of affected things. That said I've already been looking up where I can see it again or how to get it on Blu-ray

Spoilers warning maybe: didn't think it looked as good as fury road. Watched fury road couple days ago on my tv at home and was still way more into it than Furiosa at a cinema.
All the smaller characters were pretty meh. Feel like fury road every person is special.

But that's probably more my problem. I know fury road has a ton of cg etc in it but I just completely zone out when shit looks too cartoony
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 04:38:20 AM by Mean salto »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10704 on: June 12, 2024, 08:38:47 PM »
Just saw Furiosa. It's good I liked it but didn't love it. Pretty big fury road fan so that might of affected things. That said I've already been looking up where I can see it again or how to get it on Blu-ray

Spoilers warning maybe: didn't think it looked as good as fury road. Watched fury road couple days ago on my tv at home and was still way more into it than Furiosa at a cinema.
All the smaller characters were pretty meh. Feel like fury road every person is special.

But that's probably more my problem. I know fury road has a ton of cg etc in it but I just completely zone out when shit looks too cartoony

I don’t think either have a ton of CG.    They were both famously long and shitty shoots bc they were doing everything as practical as possible

If you want to see cartoony CGI, Twister ages terribly in that department.  From the satellite on.    But on the positive side, it’s wild that this was the movie that got Todd Field and Phillip Seymour Hoffman to collaborate on.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10705 on: June 12, 2024, 08:56:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t think either have a ton of CG.    They were both famously long and shitty shoots bc they were doing everything as practical as possible

If you want to see cartoony CGI, Twister ages terribly in that department.  From the satellite on.    But on the positive side, it’s wild that this was the movie that got Todd Field and Phillip Seymour Hoffman to collaborate on.
In my memory it's some shots near the beginning where there's motorbikes and cars driving in a bunch and people are falling off and it looks kinda janky. Reminded me of lotr but then that might be a specific style they were going for or something. I really need to see it again.
I know fury road was an insane shoot so if they're like we just can't do that shit again because it's too dangerous or just the logistics of having a hundred motorbikes driving at once is too insane it all makes sense.

Also i don't know anything lol. I watched mission impossible the other week and was like ah that looked shit and then read it's apparently real. I guess it's also what I'm expecting to see because Godzilla minus one had a similar scene where a train carriage is turned vertical and it probably looked worse but it didn't bother me

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10706 on: June 12, 2024, 09:59:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
In my memory it's some shots near the beginning where there's motorbikes and cars driving in a bunch and people are falling off and it looks kinda janky. Reminded me of lotr but then that might be a specific style they were going for or something. I really need to see it again.
I know fury road was an insane shoot so if they're like we just can't do that shit again because it's too dangerous or just the logistics of having a hundred motorbikes driving at once is too insane it all makes sense.

Also i don't know anything lol. I watched mission impossible the other week and was like ah that looked shit and then read it's apparently real. I guess it's also what I'm expecting to see because Godzilla minus one had a similar scene where a train carriage is turned vertical and it probably looked worse but it didn't bother me

What is and what isn’t cgi is always surprising to me.   There was a video essay awhile ago about how much CGI Fincher uses and it’s surprising bc everyone would assume he’s a purist.   

Side note, I once saw an early cut of Fast 7 before all the digital effects were added and it was bizarre to see, not only because it was the one Paul Walker’s brothers had to play him to finish his scenes so I got to see them and not a digitally altered version

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1395
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10707 on: June 12, 2024, 10:24:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

What is and what isn’t cgi is always surprising to me.   There was a video essay awhile ago about how much CGI Fincher uses and it’s surprising bc everyone would assume he’s a purist.   

Side note, I once saw an early cut of Fast 7 before all the digital effects were added and it was bizarre to see, not only because it was the one Paul Walker’s brothers had to play him to finish his scenes so I got to see them and not a digitally altered version
I watched the Ang Lee Hulk in an unfinished bootleg. It may be the only way I've seen it as I don't remember ever watching it again. Honestly, I probably ruined that movie for myself.

I may have said this before but my friend works in post and one of his past jobs was digitally removing bandages from the chefs on Chef's Table. Maybe not surprising but they cut themselves a lot. Another time he was working on a project where he was CGing a famous model to basically have a different face. Everything is CG basically.
unreadable trap logo

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10708 on: June 12, 2024, 11:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I watched the Ang Lee Hulk in an unfinished bootleg. It may be the only way I've seen it as I don't remember ever watching it again. Honestly, I probably ruined that movie for myself.

I may have said this before but my friend works in post and one of his past jobs was digitally removing bandages from the chefs on Chef's Table. Maybe not surprising but they cut themselves a lot. Another time he was working on a project where he was CGing a famous model to basically have a different face. Everything is CG basically.

Oh yeah stars are def getting zits, wrinkles, etc digitally tweaked.   Can’t hide that shit in HD like you could on film

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #10709 on: June 12, 2024, 11:36:39 PM »
Strait-Jacket with Joan Crawford. It uses dramatic irony in an interesting way, mostly to throw the audience off rather than create suspense.