Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 935270 times)

Monkey_Mcpott

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #7230 on: February 20, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
I saw The Witch last night.  Wasn't really jump scary, but it was disturbing and pretty fucking metal.  Was officially endorsed by The Satanic Temple. 

**SPOILERS**
My favorite depiction of Satan in any film.
Also, maybe the reason it wasn't super scary is because they go both barrels 5 minutes in, and then it builds up really slow until the last 30 or so.

I think I'm over going to theaters though.  Bitch next to me answering her fucking phone, texting, saying "Oh, he 'gon die" every 2 minutes.  Whole row of teenagers laughing at the English accents.  Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.

This happened to me too when me and my wife wen to go see Creed. We literally walked out of the theater mid way, and i was really enjoying the movie. The worst part is that their mom was right there letting them talk and disturbing people. It was obviously bothering everyone but but nobody is gonna say nothing to these obnoxious 12-15 year old's. I was over it and said fuck it then literally said out loud "fuck it ill just buy it when it comes out on blue ray!"

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #7231 on: February 20, 2016, 04:50:35 PM »
The Martian was fucking terrible. Waste of time. Could have been so much better.

I thought it was ok, Humor was pretty corny. But for the most part i was pretty engaged the whole time, it had a very anti-climatic ending IMO and completely forgot about the movie as soon as i walked out.

jpmulls

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #7232 on: February 20, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »
Spotlight and Gone Baby Gone

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #7233 on: February 20, 2016, 06:51:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mannaja - A Man Called Blade

Great violent as fuck spaghetti western, not much different than other violent spaghetti westerns other than the use of hatchets.  Can't go wrong with these kind of movies.

[close]

i've been meaning to watch this one for a while.  scored a first edition LP of the soundtrack a while back. 
[close]

Surprisingly they have it for rent on iTunes.  It's definitely worth a watch.  (btw I know you are a soundtrack guy... I recently picked up the new Last House on Dead End Street LP and it's fucking incredible)

a few recent watches:

Awesome.  quite possibly my favorite traditional Western (of the non-spaghetti variety).  Superb acting and visually incredible.  A+

Eh... sub-par corrupt cop thriller that takes place during the Rodney King verdict/riots.  Kurt Russel is awesome as always, but terrible acting (Korrupt and Master P cameos) and the always annoying "gangsta whiteguy" drags it down.  D

Pretty awesome and violent modern Western... cliche as hell and totally by-the-numbers spaghetti style, but still a fun watch.  92 minutes which is the perfect length for a movie in my opinion.  Also stars French mega-babe Eva Green.  Oui Oui.  B

Has anybody else seen this?  I guess I deserve it for watching anything that has to do with M Night Shyamalan, but I had read this was surprisingly good... but holy fuck this is hands down the worst movie I've ever seen.  So bad it makes me wonder how anybody in their right mind could give it a good review (I'm convinced anybody on IMDB who gave it more than 1 star is just his secretary creating hype). 

Even if it had been really scary (it wasn't) and well acted (it wasn't) and well written (it wasn't), the 12 year old lispy bowl cut white kid who raps on screen more than a few times would be enough to make me wanna gouge my eyes out.  The only thing surprising is how this movie got made and how Shyamalan gets any work at all.  Fuck that guy.  F-

i've been hearing great things about Last House on Dead End Street.  Just got "Solamente Nero" in the mail the other day. Stelvio Cipriani score performed by Goblin, its pretty great. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #7234 on: February 20, 2016, 06:53:29 PM »
Expand Quote
The Martian was fucking terrible. Waste of time. Could have been so much better.
[close]

I thought it was ok, Humor was pretty corny. But for the most part i was pretty engaged the whole time, it had a very anti-climatic ending IMO and completely forgot about the movie as soon as i walked out.

Yeah Martian was pretty good for such a big movie.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #7235 on: February 20, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Mannaja - A Man Called Blade

Great violent as fuck spaghetti western, not much different than other violent spaghetti westerns other than the use of hatchets.  Can't go wrong with these kind of movies.

[close]

i've been meaning to watch this one for a while.  scored a first edition LP of the soundtrack a while back.  
[close]

Surprisingly they have it for rent on iTunes.  It's definitely worth a watch.  (btw I know you are a soundtrack guy... I recently picked up the new Last House on Dead End Street LP and it's fucking incredible)

a few recent watches:

Awesome.  quite possibly my favorite traditional Western (of the non-spaghetti variety).  Superb acting and visually incredible.  A+

Eh... sub-par corrupt cop thriller that takes place during the Rodney King verdict/riots.  Kurt Russel is awesome as always, but terrible acting (Korrupt and Master P cameos) and the always annoying "gangsta whiteguy" drags it down.  D

Pretty awesome and violent modern Western... cliche as hell and totally by-the-numbers spaghetti style, but still a fun watch.  92 minutes which is the perfect length for a movie in my opinion.  Also stars French mega-babe Eva Green.  Oui Oui.  B

Has anybody else seen this?  I guess I deserve it for watching anything that has to do with M Night Shyamalan, but I had read this was surprisingly good... but holy fuck this is hands down the worst movie I've ever seen.  So bad it makes me wonder how anybody in their right mind could give it a good review (I'm convinced anybody on IMDB who gave it more than 1 star is just his secretary creating hype).  

Even if it had been really scary (it wasn't) and well acted (it wasn't) and well written (it wasn't), the 12 year old lispy bowl cut white kid who raps on screen more than a few times would be enough to make me wanna gouge my eyes out.  The only thing surprising is how this movie got made and how Shyamalan gets any work at all.  Fuck that guy.  F-

[close]

i've been hearing great things about Last House on Dead End Street.  Just got "Solamente Nero" in the mail the other day. Stelvio Cipriani score performed by Goblin, its pretty great.  

It's seriously fantastic.  http://www.factmag.com/2015/12/10/soundtrack-last-house-on-dead-end-street-official-release/  (a sound clip in the link).  After listening to it I texted my friend (who has been a soundtrack geek for years) and told him it makes Whitehouse sound like synth-pop.  Very dark ethereal score for such a sleazy ass movie.

He also highly recommended the C.H.U.D. soundtrack, recently released on vinyl and apparently was composed by OMD members.  

Even worse than Training Day?

Am I seeing the names right on that western? Eric Cantona?

He's a fucking existential genius.

Hmm, I'm not really a fan of training day but I felt like the 'gangsters' in that movie were more believable.  That can seriously make or break an inner-city cop drama.  Both were over the top, though.

Yep, Eric Cantona the soccer player. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 07:22:28 PM by bea! »

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #7236 on: February 20, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »

wasn't baaad

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #7237 on: February 21, 2016, 08:02:14 PM »
Should I watch critically acclaimed sc-fi drama Ex Machina or The Heat starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa Mcarthy?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7238 on: February 21, 2016, 08:17:46 PM »
Ex Machina

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #7239 on: February 21, 2016, 08:22:10 PM »
Should I watch critically acclaimed sc-fi drama Ex Machina

It was okay but there were some huge holes in the story line (and I'm not usually the type of movie watcher who sits there trying to pick out every mistake in something I watch)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7240 on: February 22, 2016, 06:52:08 PM »
The Heat was sublime.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #7241 on: February 22, 2016, 07:05:11 PM »
If you like avant garde-type mindfucks, check this out.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7242 on: February 22, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »

That was beautiful, what a guy, sipping a whisky too

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7243 on: February 22, 2016, 08:16:35 PM »

Bear in mind also, that he gave that speech after this incident:

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #7244 on: February 22, 2016, 08:25:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bear in mind also, that he gave that speech after this incident:

That's what makes it so good, those black Man U kits look dope too

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7245 on: February 22, 2016, 08:30:03 PM »
Just found this, some perplexing stuff in there  http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/e/eric_cantona.html

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #7246 on: February 23, 2016, 03:29:59 AM »
Has anyone seen We need to talk about Kevin? just saw it today on Hulu and i was very pleased.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #7247 on: February 23, 2016, 05:56:04 AM »
Has anyone seen We need to talk about Kevin? just saw it today on Hulu and i was very pleased.

Saw it a long time ago in theaters. It breaks the first rule of storytelling, in a bad way, by delaying the discovery (spoiler) that Kevin murdered everybody in his high school and that's why Tilda's life is so fucked now. It doesn't really even work as a twist, like they thought it would. The movie would've been better if we started by knowing Kevin killed all those kids and his dad and all, and then we went from there. Starting a story, and then having the entire thing end at the beginning is stupid.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #7248 on: February 26, 2016, 08:27:46 PM »
i just finished the jay reatard documentary. its nothing too amazing, but i enjoyed it. i know docs, especially ones about people who had died, can embellish quite a lot about people but it seemed like he was a pretty good guy who still had a really bright future ahead of him. i would've loved to hear what his country record wouldve sounded like. he definitely went way too early.

http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29e56d-Better-Than-Something-Jay-Reatard-movie-online-free-putlocker.html#close-modal

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7249 on: February 26, 2016, 08:42:19 PM »
hehe

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #7250 on: February 26, 2016, 09:54:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Saw it a long time ago in theaters. It breaks the first rule of storytelling, in a bad way, by delaying the discovery (spoiler) that Kevin murdered everybody in his high school and that's why Tilda's life is so fucked now. It doesn't really even work as a twist, like they thought it would. The movie would've been better if we started by knowing Kevin killed all those kids and his dad and all, and then we went from there. Starting a story, and then having the entire thing end at the beginning is stupid.

That didn't bother me too much. I tend to like movies where you have to fit all the pieces together slowly and out of order like that. Maybe i was the only one shocked that he killed his dad and sister, for some reason i didn't see that coming. Still i very much enjoyed it.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #7251 on: February 28, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The movie is an adaptation on a novel of the same name. In the novel, the revelation of Kevin's mass-murdering spree happens early in the book, though details of the killing are withheld until the end. The narrative is written as a series of letters or entries written from the wife/mother to her "estranged" husband. The twist of the novel is that the narrative is false, that Eva is writing to herself, in journal entries to cope with the loss of her family, who we assume is still living throughout the novel. The twist in the novel was a gut-punch to me. I think I cried and sat in silence hours after finishing the novel. Much better than the film. The novel also details the actual killing spree, discusses the people who were killed, as well as why Kevin chose them. The film only worked for me because I'd recently finished the novel.

If you haven't, read the book. It's pretentious and at times laborious to trudge through but the payoff is worth it.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #7252 on: March 04, 2016, 10:46:43 AM »

The Spikes Gang - cool 70's Western about 3 kids who become friends with a notorious outlaw, join up with him and things go all haywire.  Kinda sounded hokey and very "coming of age" in the description, but ended up being pretty raw and violent.. especially with the 'Resevoir Dogs'-style ending.  Lee Marvin is awesome and bad ass as usual.  B+

The most useless bit of movie trivia I've known since I was a kid, Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller.... figured I should watch this movie at some point.  Pretty entertaining dumb early 80's horror movie, really cool score (apparently done by members of OMD).  B

Surprisingly good documentary about Kathleen Hannah (Shark Tits you need to watch this!), singer of Bikini Kill/Julie Ruin.. etc.  Lots of good old Bikini Kill footage, riot girl demonstrations, etc...  Some over generalizations made about punk at that time but still a really good insight into that scene.  Also her marriage to Ad Rock (kill rock stars, eh?), having lyme-disease (which sounds horrific).  Plus, not to negate her importance and all she's achieved... she is a MEGA BABE and falls under my "woman-crush forever" category for sure.  She's gotten hotter as she's gotten older, too.  Definitely worth a watch.  A
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:51:47 PM by bea! »

shark tits

« Reply #7253 on: March 04, 2016, 11:58:51 AM »
yeah bea! i saw that one a little while ago and i agree about her looking better a little thicker. damn she's sexy w/ her lyme disease ass! i think she's a little silly politically and sorta contradicts herself a bunch but i respect her somewhat [not as much as young s-k but more than modern s-k] and if nobody else steps up cause everyone's tongue tied by pc stricture then you get whoever steps up. thanks for stepping up, KH. revolution grrrl style now!

Green Bastard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7254 on: March 07, 2016, 08:09:52 PM »

Does anybody have a download of this movie? I haven't seen it in forever and Loved watching it as a little Michigander.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #7255 on: March 08, 2016, 10:09:34 AM »

Does anybody have a download of this movie? I haven't seen it in forever and Loved watching it as a little Michigander.

That's sick Rob Welsh is an actor too.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:14:59 AM by RCB3 »

Irvine-Sucks.com

Green Bastard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7256 on: March 08, 2016, 06:27:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's sick Rob Welsh is an actor too.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #7257 on: March 15, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
Damon Packard - Reflections of Evil

watched this with family and friends last night. A rollercoaster ride of spinetingling suspense.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #7258 on: March 15, 2016, 03:55:27 PM »
Picked up these two movies at my local library Oscar Issac is a really rad actor he killed it with these two performances

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7259 on: March 15, 2016, 07:13:47 PM »
Did you check out "Show Me A Hero"? He's really good in that too.