Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 931698 times)

Willie and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8160 on: February 20, 2020, 05:49:47 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m not entirely certain that the Lebowski version of Jesus really flys nowadays. It’s kinda brown face. I do think that the new movie looks like less of a caricature and I think Turturro is a pretty good director so I’m optimistic.
[close]

this sounds about right--Turturro has done far more good than bad in his career...i did also read that the Coens gave him, the story, and the film their blessings: "confirmed."

i also read this:

"the song really ties the trailer together"

that's funny
Funny this is the latest discussion, and your name, and avatar, because I came here to post I watched their True Grit last night and really liked it. Love me some cowboy shit.

sharkin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #8161 on: February 20, 2020, 07:02:18 PM »
Uncut Gems is phenomenal.

Sandler getting snubbed shows how far the oscars fell of

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #8162 on: February 20, 2020, 08:06:15 PM »
I love how greasy he was by the end of the movie. And the Ecko sweatshirt

Some of their early short films are on the Criterion site. Haven't watched them yet though.

I was just randomly reading about this micro-museum in NY, and it turns out the Safdies co-created it:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mmuseumm-2

Thanks for the heads up on the short films. Definitely want to check them out.

And yea, I love his greasiness. I actually think he looked kind of cool when he bleached his hair.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8163 on: February 21, 2020, 08:44:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m not entirely certain that the Lebowski version of Jesus really flys nowadays. It’s kinda brown face. I do think that the new movie looks like less of a caricature and I think Turturro is a pretty good director so I’m optimistic.
[close]

this sounds about right--Turturro has done far more good than bad in his career...i did also read that the Coens gave him, the story, and the film their blessings: "confirmed."

i also read this:

that's funny
[close]
Funny this is the latest discussion, and your name, and avatar, because I came here to post I watched their True Grit last night and really liked it. Love me some cowboy shit.

you're spot on 50, they definitely do great things with the western genre--their version of True Grit is a favorite. to this day, when someone thinks they're being sweet by throwing hypotheticals around, a couple friends and i will have to stop them with a:

(i love that someone put just that up on Youtube) i'm not sure, but for what an incredible performance that young actress gave, i can't believe she hasn't been in anything else.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8164 on: February 21, 2020, 08:50:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i also read this:

that's funny
[close]
[close]

you're spot on 50, they definitely do great things with the western genre--their version of True Grit is a favorite. to this day, when someone thinks they're being sweet by throwing hypotheticals around, a couple friends and i will have to stop them with a:

(i love that someone put just that up on Youtube) i'm not sure, but for what an incredible performance that young actress gave, i can't believe she hasn't been in anything else.
I loved that line! I started watching it again with my girlfriend last night and she loved that scene. Totally about the actress she killed it. I loved the way everyone talked in that movie! “A saucy line will not get you far with me.” Hahaha. I love westerns like that and stuff set in the Southwest like No Country. I love those settings. Read No Country For Old Men and that book is just as amazing.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #8165 on: February 21, 2020, 07:51:08 PM »
The Lodge might be one of the stupidest films I've watched in a long time -  Such a bummer I was waiting for it come out forever.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8166 on: February 21, 2020, 07:52:53 PM »
I enjoyed parasite but I also watch a lot of korean movies/directors so I'm biased.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #8167 on: February 21, 2020, 07:53:36 PM »
I enjoyed parasite but I also watch a lot of korean movies/directors so I'm biased.

I watched Parasite last night without seeing any trailers and having no expectations. Needless to say I was completely blown away! Wow!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8168 on: February 21, 2020, 07:56:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I watched Parasite last night without seeing any trailers and having no expectations. Needless to say I was completely blown away! Wow!

As a companion piece watch YouTube reviewers and critics hate on the movie for being non-American while winning Best Picture
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8169 on: February 21, 2020, 08:02:49 PM »
I don't even bother with critics (esp. youtubers). There is too much good stuff to watch without wasting anymore screen time on those.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8170 on: February 22, 2020, 05:58:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i also read this:

that's funny
[close]
[close]

[close]
I loved that line! I started watching it again with my girlfriend last night and she loved that scene. Totally about the actress she killed it. I loved the way everyone talked in that movie! “A saucy line will not get you far with me.” Hahaha. I love westerns like that and stuff set in the Southwest like No Country. I love those settings. Read No Country For Old Men and that book is just as amazing.

if you have the time and the inclination, i recommend exploring any/all of Cormac McCarthy's writings--i love the "Border Trilogy" and Blood Meridian. i actually teach literature and composition classes, and i put in to teach a section of "Literature Into Film" next fall, and there will definitely be a Cormac McCarthy section--No Country for Old Men, but also The Road, which i haven't read yet, but the film was gnarly.

not sure if you've watched any of the films that Taylor Sheridan has written, but he does incredible things with the West and Southwest too, and is clearly influenced by McCarthy's writing--the first Sicario, Wind River (super fucking heavy actually and on Netflix right now i think), and Hell or High Water, below being a kind of modern-day posse-chase scene that i personally love, (not just because of the shootout, but because of what it's doing with the brothers' relationship):

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 06:04:27 AM by Deputy Wendell »

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #8171 on: February 22, 2020, 06:59:45 AM »
Fell asleep watching LA92 on Netflix and thought that was pretty good.

JB77

« Reply #8172 on: February 22, 2020, 07:03:09 AM »
Knives Out.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8173 on: February 22, 2020, 03:58:50 PM »
one of the best films of all time and Juan's death is one of the worst cinematic tragedies of all time:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:12:25 PM by Deputy Wendell »

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8174 on: February 22, 2020, 11:48:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i also read this:

that's funny
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

if you have the time and the inclination, i recommend exploring any/all of Cormac McCarthy's writings--i love the "Border Trilogy" and Blood Meridian. i actually teach literature and composition classes, and i put in to teach a section of "Literature Into Film" next fall, and there will definitely be a Cormac McCarthy section--No Country for Old Men, but also The Road, which i haven't read yet, but the film was gnarly.

not sure if you've watched any of the films that Taylor Sheridan has written, but he does incredible things with the West and Southwest too, and is clearly influenced by McCarthy's writing--the first Sicario, Wind River (super fucking heavy actually and on Netflix right now i think), and Hell or High Water, below being a kind of modern-day posse-chase scene that i personally love, (not just because of the shootout, but because of what it's doing with the brothers' relationship):

I've read The Road, No Country, Blood Meridian, and just last year I read All The Pretty Horses. I didn't know it was part of a trilogy so I'll check those out when I finish my current book. When I read Blood Meridian I kept a translator app handy so I could fully understand all the concepts being written about. Sicario was ok but I liked it, was just talking about it with my coworkers yesterday and I was just trying to show my girlfriend Hell or Highwater today! But you had to pay for it on Prime so we started watching something else instead because I've seen it. I started Wind River but didn't stick with it, I was probably smoking weed at the time and couldn't pay attention so I'll give it a go after I finish The Irishman. The Road is a great movie! I love Hell Or Highwater because I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and always wonder how possible some shit like that actually is, not that I would ever have the balls to do it!

Me, my dad, and my sister actually drove all the way out to Wyoming for the 2017 Solar Eclipse and watched it from a plain overlooking the Wind River reservation!

I love that kind of action he writes about, but my favorite author is Steinbeck. I love his empathy for people. His writing has had a big impact on me, especially East of Eden which is my favorite book of all time. Lately as I talk with my union and am getting the workers at my office organized to confront our supervisors over unrealistic work expectations I've thought a lot about his writings in stuff like In Dubious Battle. Sure I'm not working hard labor but it's relatable to be taken advantage of by your bosses. In 2017 I also went to Monterey with my mom to visit the Steinbeck Center, see his house, and we happened to be on Cannery Row the one day a month they have a tour of the lab he partied in and wrote about in Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday. Usually it was reservation only but the lady saw how shocked I was you could go in and let us in since some people hadn't shown up.

I always wanted to be a writer. I write more than most people but not all the time. My dad kind of killed my enthusiasm when I was young by telling me the odds of being a successful writer were very slim so I never believed in myself after that. I didn't realize he would say that about everything. Love that slow southwest action, finished watching True Grit again today and my girlfriend really loved it.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8175 on: February 22, 2020, 11:49:37 PM »
Fell asleep watching LA92 on Netflix and thought that was pretty good.
Great movie.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8176 on: February 23, 2020, 06:55:59 AM »
Expand Quote
one of the best films of all time and Juan's death is one of the worst cinematic tragedies of all time:

[close]

Thanks for the spoiler, dude.

fuck man, sorry...i'm just kidding, he doesn't pass...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8177 on: February 23, 2020, 07:22:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i also read this:

that's funny
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I've read The Road, No Country, Blood Meridian, and just last year I read All The Pretty Horses. I didn't know it was part of a trilogy so I'll check those out when I finish my current book. When I read Blood Meridian I kept a translator app handy so I could fully understand all the concepts being written about. Sicario was ok but I liked it, was just talking about it with my coworkers yesterday and I was just trying to show my girlfriend Hell or Highwater today! But you had to pay for it on Prime so we started watching something else instead because I've seen it. I started Wind River but didn't stick with it, I was probably smoking weed at the time and couldn't pay attention so I'll give it a go after I finish The Irishman. The Road is a great movie! I love Hell Or Highwater because I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and always wonder how possible some shit like that actually is, not that I would ever have the balls to do it!

Me, my dad, and my sister actually drove all the way out to Wyoming for the 2017 Solar Eclipse and watched it from a plain overlooking the Wind River reservation!

I love that kind of action he writes about, but my favorite author is Steinbeck. I love his empathy for people. His writing has had a big impact on me, especially East of Eden which is my favorite book of all time. Lately as I talk with my union and am getting the workers at my office organized to confront our supervisors over unrealistic work expectations I've thought a lot about his writings in stuff like In Dubious Battle. Sure I'm not working hard labor but it's relatable to be taken advantage of by your bosses. In 2017 I also went to Monterey with my mom to visit the Steinbeck Center, see his house, and we happened to be on Cannery Row the one day a month they have a tour of the lab he partied in and wrote about in Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday. Usually it was reservation only but the lady saw how shocked I was you could go in and let us in since some people hadn't shown up.

I always wanted to be a writer. I write more than most people but not all the time. My dad kind of killed my enthusiasm when I was young by telling me the odds of being a successful writer were very slim so I never believed in myself after that. I didn't realize he would say that about everything. Love that slow southwest action, finished watching True Grit again today and my girlfriend really loved it.

i just ordered The Road--i don't know how i went this long without reading it. hopefully i get to tussle with it with one of my classes in the fall.

and i need more Steinbeck in my life these days--The Grapes of Wrath is foundational to me (as well as John Ford's film version), and somehow i've never tussled with In Dubious Battle...it's on the list. i wish you and your coworkers the best...inspiration is always invaluable wherever it comes from.

between teaching and working on the second chapter of my dissertation i don't get to "recreationally" (for lack of a better term) read these days--i'm working on a chapter dealing with the oxymoron that is "working-class conservatism" and as it ties to "home and hearth," and i'm narrowing my primary texts down between Sinclair Lewis' Babbitt and Main Street and John Updike's Rabbit Tetralogy (which i'm currently reading for the THIRD time believe it or not).

Wind River becomes very much about the degree to which Native American women have been forsaken and forgotten in this country more than any other demographic of people--the last half of the film hits me in the chest like an anvil.

i feel like Sheridan treats those regions and landscapes like McCarthy does--they're not just settings, they have a presence and they have agency. i also love how in each of his films there's always some kind of tension-building convoy or chase kind of scene, for which he always provides a perspective from above...i don't know, like blood pumping through an artery or something, like the landscape is alive...or something like that.

i appreciate the nerding out 50...

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8178 on: February 23, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
That girl in True Grit was in Pitch Perfect 2 and 3.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8179 on: February 24, 2020, 05:33:34 AM »

ugh

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8180 on: February 24, 2020, 06:43:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

ugh
Dude, you're gonna die when I tell you she was also in Bumblebee (as in Transformers).

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #8181 on: February 24, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »
Charles Portis, the author of True Grit, passed away last week.
https://www.vulture.com/2020/02/charles-portis-author-of-true-grit-dead-at-86.html

I meant to post this in the books thread then-pdf of True Grit:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/75d4d5f7943c3fcc5710301785f6185720200224213548/3a0400

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8182 on: February 29, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »
Finally got around to watching the Beach Bum... wish that was my life.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #8183 on: March 01, 2020, 05:55:43 AM »

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 04:25:15 PM by Carrolls Chesthairs »

theSketchLord

• https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8184 on: March 01, 2020, 09:31:43 AM »

Can't believe at 42 years old I only watched this maybe 6-8 months ago.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #8185 on: March 02, 2020, 04:48:27 PM »

Great movie.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #8186 on: March 03, 2020, 02:31:51 PM »
Hell or High Water - after reading up above, figured i'd check it out (it's on netflix).  Great movie.  I enjoyed every second of it.  Kinda surprised as I had never really heard about it before, then after a IMDB search I saw that it was nominated for Best Picture in 2017.  Amazing acting all around.

There is one, big gaping plot hole that didn't make sense to me but I don't wanna spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.  Regardless of that, this movie rules.

Tough Guy: The Bob Probert Story - free on amazon prime.. great doc about one of my favorite hockey players ever, one of the baddest bad asses to ever kick ass on the ice.  Definitely worth watching if you're a fan of that old time hockey.  If you're familiar with him then you probably know about his problems off the ice which caused him all sorts of issues on the ice, but a lot of great home video footage and great interviews with ex-players and family.  A great tribute to him. 

Which led me to...

Last of the Gladiators - doc about Chris Nilan, a legendary Hockey enforcer for the Habs who had a pretty solid career but his life went off the rails due to painkillers, etc...  Also moonlights as a documentary about Hockey Enforcers in general, interviews with some legends (Probert, McSorely, etc).  Nilan was a Boston tough guy to the core.

which led me to...

Ice Guardians - a pretty entertaining, but WAY over-dramatic documentary about Hockey enforcers.  Great interviews and footage but man... dramatic music, actual tears in the interviews... arguing against the idea that fighting in Hockey contributes to CTE (which I don't really believe).  Good, but kinda silly. 

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #8187 on: March 06, 2020, 09:12:08 AM »
Not really expecting too much, just some dumb entertainment, but i'm about to smoke and watch a bootleg screener copy of Sonic. We'll see how it is haha

Edit: It was ok I guess. Just a kids movie. I mean I love Sonic but there really didn't need to be a Sonic movie. Still better than most video game flicks
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 04:53:51 AM by os89 »

theSketchLord

« Reply #8188 on: March 07, 2020, 05:25:05 AM »
Not really expecting too much, just some dumb entertainment, but i'm about to smoke and watch a bootleg screener copy of Sonic. We'll see how it is haha

Edit: It was ok I guess. Just a kids movie. I mean I love Sonic but there really didn't need to be a Sonic movie. Still better than most video game flicks

Was it any good?

I watched Tropic Thunder for the first time in ages.
McBride has some superb lines ("Mother Nature just pissed her pantsuit!" "I nearly blinded Jamie Lee Curtis on Freaky Friday").

Plus I'd forgotten how good Cruise is in it. 

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #8189 on: March 07, 2020, 06:30:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Was it any good?

I watched Tropic Thunder for the first time in ages.
McBride has some superb lines ("Mother Nature just pissed her pantsuit!" "I nearly blinded Jamie Lee Curtis on Freaky Friday").

Plus I'd forgotten how good Cruise is in it.

Like I said it was ok and for a video game flick it does a good job, but as a whole it's just a decent kids movie. Not bad but not amazing.

Haha I haven't seen that one in a while, but I did have a stone tropic of thunder lager at the bar last night. Good beer.