Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 933416 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8400 on: September 25, 2020, 11:10:16 AM »
The Allins an updated tale of GG Allin and Merle Allin, really heartwarming tale.
Dueces Bitch's

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #8401 on: September 25, 2020, 11:58:46 AM »
I thought The Devil All The Time was just okay overall, and RPatz didn't really pull off his character.

I'm really interested to check out some stuff from the author who wrote the book it was based on though. I downloaded his book The Heavenly Table, gonna start reading it soon.

I don't think they gave enough character development to a couple people. I did like the movie though and would recommend it

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1235
« Reply #8402 on: September 26, 2020, 05:20:15 PM »
this instagram post

reminded me to watch dragged across concrete

(account is worth a follow, really enjoyed someones comment saying they thought it was a goya at first glance)

it was aite. slow burn, cops going dirty for the first time.  i think i liked bone tomahawk more.

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #8403 on: September 26, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
this instagram post

(account is worth a follow, really enjoyed someones comment saying they thought it was a goya at first glance)

it was aite. slow burn, cops going dirty for the first time.  i think i liked bone tomahawk more.

one of the best accounts on IG

Brawl in Cell Block 99 is by the same director and is really good as well
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #8404 on: September 26, 2020, 07:42:34 PM »
Expand Quote
this instagram post

[close]

one of the best accounts on IG

Brawl in Cell Block 99 is by the same director and is really good as well

I liked Bone Tomahawk a lot and I feel like I'm pretty unphased when it comes to watching violence in movies, but for some reason that scene really fucked me up. It stuck with me for days.

Irvine-Sucks.com

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #8405 on: September 26, 2020, 09:40:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Just decided Moneyball is probably one of my top three movies of all time
[close]

fuckin love baseball movies, you got a top 3?

not the biggest baseball guy so havent seen that many reckon u could reccomend us some?
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8406 on: September 27, 2020, 10:09:46 AM »
just did my perennial rewatch of Repo Man--one of my favorite scenes:

"there's going to be some bad shit coming down one of these days kid...

...uh uh. i'm gonna be right here, heading north at 110 per."

Harry Dean Stanton was such a fucking treasure...

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8407 on: September 27, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody watch the new Kaufman movie yet? I loved it and would be interested in having a discussion on it if any of you have checked it out
[close]

I'm a huge fan of Kaufman, thank you for bringing up his latest film! Like with any of his films, it requires multiple viewings to really tie together the subtle surrealist nuances buried within the narrative. So I am going to have to watch this one again, especially since the jarring viewing experience was a Kaufmanesque fever dream of fuckery. It definitely made it tricky to identify the overarching connections within the film.

I don't think this is for someone watching their first Kaufman film and I can see people who don't expect the experimental and absurdist qualities of his films to feel alienated by this one especially. That said, I'm Thinking of Ending Things might be the most impressive visual commentary on the concept of memories entwined with self-identity that I have ever seen. It was unstable, melancholic, boundless, and doesn't waste a single moment to compromise its fractured structure. It's cathartic in the sense that it reveals our humanity like with all of Kaufman films (including the ones he didn't direct) yet it's also a reveal of our neurotic self-delusions as well. I can also see the film being a first-person account of the destruction of the mind through dementia. 

For people who want to watch something that's completely offbeat, watch this. The performances are awesome and it commands your attention throughout. There are a few long scenes in the movie that involves sitting in a car for long periods of time that may be offputting but spend that time really trying to understand the unspoken subtext within those scenes. When it clicks, you'll have an "oh shit" moment, I promise.

Also if you are interested Kaufman just released his first novel titled Antkind. Haven't read it yet but will pick it up soon. :)

ihatejulio, your sig is "exceedingly lovely" (M. Gustave)--one of the most beautiful shots in that outstanding film

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #8408 on: September 27, 2020, 10:25:48 AM »
The King Of Staten Island was much better than I expected
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8409 on: September 27, 2020, 11:03:44 AM »
Watched The Hunt, really good.
The scene with the cigs is great "you fucked up biiiitch!"
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
« Reply #8410 on: September 28, 2020, 01:44:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody watch the new Kaufman movie yet? I loved it and would be interested in having a discussion on it if any of you have checked it out
[close]

I'm a huge fan of Kaufman, thank you for bringing up his latest film! Like with any of his films, it requires multiple viewings to really tie together the subtle surrealist nuances buried within the narrative. So I am going to have to watch this one again, especially since the jarring viewing experience was a Kaufmanesque fever dream of fuckery. It definitely made it tricky to identify the overarching connections within the film.

I don't think this is for someone watching their first Kaufman film and I can see people who don't expect the experimental and absurdist qualities of his films to feel alienated by this one especially. That said, I'm Thinking of Ending Things might be the most impressive visual commentary on the concept of memories entwined with self-identity that I have ever seen. It was unstable, melancholic, boundless, and doesn't waste a single moment to compromise its fractured structure. It's cathartic in the sense that it reveals our humanity like with all of Kaufman films (including the ones he didn't direct) yet it's also a reveal of our neurotic self-delusions as well. I can also see the film being a first-person account of the destruction of the mind through dementia. 

For people who want to watch something that's completely offbeat, watch this. The performances are awesome and it commands your attention throughout. There are a few long scenes in the movie that involves sitting in a car for long periods of time that may be offputting but spend that time really trying to understand the unspoken subtext within those scenes. When it clicks, you'll have an "oh shit" moment, I promise.

Also if you are interested Kaufman just released his first novel titled Antkind. Haven't read it yet but will pick it up soon. :)
[close]

ihatejulio, your sig is "exceedingly lovely" (M. Gustave)--one of the most beautiful shots in that outstanding film

Thank you! I really had to endlessly loop Saoirse Ronan glaring into my soul. For the culture.

dunc

• Rep: 51
« Reply #8411 on: September 28, 2020, 02:06:47 AM »
Just watched My Octopus Teacher. Was fantastic and beautifully shot. Couldn't script a more heartfelt plot. 
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #8412 on: September 28, 2020, 04:11:32 AM »

Hey fatty, I got a movie for ya: A Fridge Too Far.

Real talk, I just rewatched High Tension and 13 Tzameti which are two of my all time favorites. But I’m a sucker for new french extremity.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #8413 on: September 28, 2020, 07:17:28 AM »
The Goonies

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8414 on: September 28, 2020, 07:19:59 AM »
Gonna watch this later hopefully
https://www.feelsgoodmanfilm.com/

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8415 on: September 28, 2020, 08:55:22 AM »
Gonna watch this later hopefully
https://www.feelsgoodmanfilm.com/

That looks awesome. I love Matt Furie's work. Here's an old xlr8r about him searching for his pizza earring. He's a good dude.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8416 on: September 28, 2020, 09:25:01 AM »
Palm Springs.

While not the best film, it was pretty damn entertaining.

I could definitely relate to the character, especially now with my routine of basically nothing. “Today, tomorrow, yesterday, it's all the same”

I also usually do not like much from that snl dude, but this was well done. Better than expected.

Some nice cinematography, pretty funny, moves fast, PLUS it has J. K. Simmons in it.

Would recommend if you're bored for sure.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #8417 on: September 28, 2020, 09:30:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

not the biggest baseball guy so havent seen that many reckon u could reccomend us some?

Bull Durham, the Natural, and 8 men out amongst others. All great films even if you don’t follow baseball.

Moneyball is an all time favorite of mine though.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #8418 on: September 28, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Bull Durham, the Natural, and 8 men out amongst others. All great films even if you don’t follow baseball.

All these Are essential but also Field of Dreams and Minor League should be added.

Also, Ken Burns documentary on baseball and the documentary on Doc Ellis called No No is fantastic and the sound track is great—produced by Ad Rock of the Beastie Boys.

Throwing a baseball with your dad is like a metaphor. Nicest memories with my dad revolve around baseball. Guy couldn’t skateboard for shit. Note: he’s still alive although my past tense language may suggest otherwise. He’s just too old (78) to throw and catch a baseball.

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8419 on: September 28, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

All these Are essential but also Field of Dreams and Minor League should be added.

Also, Ken Burns documentary on baseball and the documentary on Doc Ellis called No No is fantastic and the sound track is great—produced by Ad Rock of the Beastie Boys.

Throwing a baseball with your dad is like a metaphor. Nicest memories with my dad revolve around baseball. Guy couldn’t skateboard for shit. Note: he’s still alive although my past tense language may suggest otherwise. He’s just too old (78) to throw and catch a baseball.

The Ken Burns doc is sooooo good.

As are almost all baseball films.

My user name is O’s for the Orioles, I’m from Bmore. I love baseball.

It’s the fucking best.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #8420 on: September 28, 2020, 10:58:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Ken Burns doc is sooooo good.

As are almost all baseball films.

My user name is O’s for the Orioles, I’m from Bmore. I love baseball.

It’s the fucking best.

I love Camden Yards. Best stadium outside of Wrigley. I actually had a better time at Camden. Walking down to get to your seats. Fried soft shell crab sandwiches. The bars across the street are fire. I told my family that when COVID is over we should drive past Philly and go see a game in Baltimore.

I want my son to go to a park that looks like it has been there for 100 years. Even though it’s only 50.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #8421 on: September 28, 2020, 01:10:51 PM »
Wish the ken burns doc was on Netflix (it used to be)... i got an ex to watch it with me and she’s totally clueless when it comes to baseball. it’s very well done. The Ichiro segment is my favorite..
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8422 on: September 28, 2020, 01:35:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i have never been able to stand baseball--never, not as a kid, not as a teenager, not as an adult--but for some reason i love Bull Durham, and will watch it every time i happen upon it being on tv...but i think it has a lot to do with

nah, but seriously, this is one of many elegant scenes in the film, but perhaps my favorite

Acky Jacky

« Reply #8423 on: September 28, 2020, 02:11:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Fan is a good one, it's under the radar for some people. I can't think of another two. I agree that Moneyball is tight.

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8424 on: September 28, 2020, 02:16:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The Fan is a good one, it's under the radar for some people. I can't think of another two. I agree that Moneyball is tight.

They are all good, even the kids movies.

Sandlot and Bad News Bears are so good.

Hell, I’ll watch Mr. 3000 if it’s on.

Edit: Ok I don’t like that one with jimmy fallon but I just don’t like that dude very much. Its basically a romantic comedy and not a baseball film anyway.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:30:34 PM by os89 »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #8425 on: September 28, 2020, 03:34:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They are all good, even the kids movies.

Sandlot and Bad News Bears are so good.

Hell, I’ll watch Mr. 3000 if it’s on.

Edit: Ok I don’t like that one with jimmy fallon but I just don’t like that dude very much. Its basically a romantic comedy and not a baseball film anyway.

Has anybody mentioned Major League yet?  That's my all-time favorite baseball movie.

8 Men Out and The Natural are great, too.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #8426 on: September 28, 2020, 03:40:13 PM »
Rookie of the year and little big league are great kids ones.

I need to buy a mitt.

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8427 on: September 28, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »
I would love to have a SLAP baseball team. Too bad haha

What would you play?

I call left field, sorry if I miss a catch.

I’ll fucking Superman and lay the hell out trying to get the ball though.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8428 on: September 28, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »
The SLAP sons of pitches.

I’d be down, dibs on second.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8429 on: September 28, 2020, 05:19:27 PM »
Let’s also not forget this gem.