Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 926288 times)

Manny Fapuiao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 110
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8520 on: November 27, 2020, 10:36:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Possessor just fucked me up pretty good
[close]

Yeah I liked Possessor, felt kinda like Existenz x Being John Malkovich
thank u for putting me on to existenz right there
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #8521 on: December 07, 2020, 07:48:06 AM »

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8522 on: December 07, 2020, 08:26:13 AM »
Watched Swimming With Men this afternoon.
It's a fairly trope laden battler movie but it hits the right emotional high points in a few places.

Then watched Waterworld, love that film.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #8523 on: December 07, 2020, 09:43:32 AM »
rewatched only lovers left alive - by jarmusch

i love tilda swinton as an actor shes so fuckin rad

not sure if it was intended but ill be damned if there arent some serious parallels between vampires and junkies

also the main charachter from green room(rip and forgot his name) is also in that film

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #8524 on: December 07, 2020, 10:44:16 AM »
I haven't seen it in a bit, but I definitely think the parallels were intentional.

I finally watched Tenet. I dunno if all the sci-fi mumbo jumbo fully held up, but it was a fun big action movie, which I haven't seen in awhile. Kinda filled the void left by the new James Bond movie not coming out this year.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #8525 on: December 07, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
Tombstone. Don't know why I never watched it before.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8526 on: December 07, 2020, 12:18:16 PM »
I really enjoyed Uncle Peckerhead on Amazon Prime.

I used to tour with an original band in the mid oughts and some of the jokes/references were painfully funny.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #8527 on: December 07, 2020, 07:06:22 PM »

i love tilda swinton
as an actor shes so fuckin rad

for a sec I thought you were talking about his new one the dead don't die, which I found confusingly bad (big fan of Jarmusch's movies, I can't understand what he was going for with this one. Please tell me if you know?). Will check Only Lovers left alive

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8528 on: December 07, 2020, 09:39:08 PM »
Expand Quote

i love tilda swinton
as an actor shes so fuckin rad

[close]

for a sec I thought you were talking about his new one the dead don't die, which I found confusingly bad (big fan of Jarmusch's movies, I can't understand what he was going for with this one. Please tell me if you know?). Will check Only Lovers left alive

The Dead Won't Die felt like Jim Jarmusch was trolling audiences. It was so bad and awkward that it reminded me of the God Cop show Jack Donaghy writes and stars in to purposely tank NBC on 30 Rock. It's on HBO Max now.
Only Lovers Left Alive was fantastic.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #8529 on: December 08, 2020, 07:24:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was "The Shape of Water".

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #8530 on: December 08, 2020, 08:14:56 AM »
i remember seeing a trailer for that jarmusch zombie thing, and much like once upon a time in hollywood, i feel as if there is a guiding voice telling me to not waste my valuable time on these abominations

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8531 on: December 08, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »
i remember seeing a trailer for that jarmusch zombie thing, and much like once upon a time in hollywood, i feel as if there is a guiding voice telling me to not waste my valuable time on these abominations

To be fair there are moments that Tilda Swinton and Bill Murray shine for sure. If you have HBO Max or Hulu maybe it's worth it? One of the only enjoyable moments of seeing it in the theater was when Tilda Swinton appeared the audience started clapping. But yeah, it was not good IMO.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #8532 on: December 10, 2020, 03:17:32 PM »
Surprised with how much I enjoyed Ready Player One. The Shining referenced in the film which led me down a rabbit hole into reading about The Shining. Apparently there's a sequel called Doctor Sleep released in 2019. Good reviews, definitely interested in checking out.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #8533 on: December 10, 2020, 03:20:52 PM »

i saw this in the theater, and it is legit one of the worst movies i've ever seen.  woulda walked out if I wasnt with a large group.  terrible shit.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #8534 on: December 10, 2020, 04:29:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i saw this in the theater, and it is legit one of the worst movies i've ever seen.  woulda walked out if I wasnt with a large group.  terrible shit.

+1 to this - it was genuinely fucking awful.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #8535 on: December 10, 2020, 05:51:11 PM »
. Once upon a time in Hollywood was the best movie I saw last year. I only saw like 3 movies but Ouatih was dope as fuck.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8536 on: December 11, 2020, 01:10:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

+1 to this - it was genuinely fucking awful.

I would genuinely like to hear from someone who liked this or at least thought they understood what he was going for. A night on earth, Mystery Train, stranger than paradise, down by law, I keep thinking I must be missing something and it's not as bad as I think it is.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #8537 on: December 11, 2020, 01:28:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

To be fair there are moments that Tilda Swinton and Bill Murray shine for sure. If you have HBO Max or Hulu maybe it's worth it? One of the only enjoyable moments of seeing it in the theater was when Tilda Swinton appeared the audience started clapping. But yeah, it was not good IMO.

I initially read this as though Tilda Swinton stood up in the crowd at your theater and ppl applauded.

Not a movie, per se, but I enjoyed the Heaven's Gate cult doc series on HBO Max.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #8538 on: December 11, 2020, 03:51:27 PM »
Recently watched Us on netflix and it was pretty good, kinda classic scary film with a few twists but i enjoyed it.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #8539 on: December 11, 2020, 09:54:19 PM »
Rewatched Tenet yesterday. Still not sure what to think of it overall, but it definitely packed a visceral nonstop what the fuck type punch even on my second round.

Also watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs recently and like it a lot.

dunc

• Rep: 49
« Reply #8540 on: December 11, 2020, 10:58:26 PM »
Rewatched Tenet yesterday. Still not sure what to think of it overall, but it definitely packed a visceral nonstop what the fuck type punch even on my second round.

Yes Buster Scruggs is the best. I have recently revisited it and I loved it all over again. I also just rewatched the Life Aquatic and I think that is a masterpiece of fun.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8541 on: December 12, 2020, 04:21:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes Buster Scruggs is the best. I have recently revisited it and I loved it all over again. I also just rewatched the Life Aquatic and I think that is a masterpiece of fun.

I gotta give Buster Scruggs another try... started it, but didn’t get far.

Life aquatic is an all time favorite... always brings back such good memories. Bottle rocket, Rushmore, royal tenebaums and life aquatic that’s a hell of a run of films.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

theSketchLord

• https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8542 on: December 20, 2020, 04:22:24 AM »
https://youtu.be/S8ymM_oJ9DI

Watched this today, tight thriller. Not too long.
Cool to see Jacobson doing something that's not just presenting shitty talent shows.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #8543 on: December 20, 2020, 06:14:56 AM »
Watched Ms. Rainey's Black Bottom last night and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes theater (it's adapted from a play and still very much feels like one). It's very dramatic and scenes are carried out for quite a while sometimes, but I liked it. It was a play!t

Takes place in 1920's Chicago, it's all about the relationships between black recording artists and the white record label owners profiting off their voices and appropriating their music.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8544 on: December 20, 2020, 08:30:18 AM »
Watched Ms. Rainey's Black Bottom last night and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes theater (it's adapted from a play and still very much feels like one). It's very dramatic and scenes are carried out for quite a while sometimes, but I liked it. It was a play!t

Takes place in 1920's Chicago, it's all about the relationships between black recording artists and the white record label owners profiting off their voices and appropriating their music.

Anything about 1920’s workers I’m in.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #8545 on: December 20, 2020, 10:08:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Anything about 1920’s workers I’m in.

Lmao I really missed a good 1920's worker joke opportunity
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8546 on: December 20, 2020, 02:00:38 PM »
The third Poltergeist movie is still holds up. Strong visuals and editing. Shout out to Donna from Twin Peaks and Nancy Allen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM9aTMgYvY8

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8547 on: December 20, 2020, 05:40:41 PM »
watched whit stillman damsels in distress last night, it grew on me as the movie progressed. If you don't know him, his movies are kind of adult contemporary, sort of smart, funny, plain, dialogue heavy, feel-good drama. I've seen his other ones Cosmopolitan and Barcelona, they're good too.

theSketchLord

« Reply #8548 on: December 21, 2020, 04:29:29 AM »
Rewatched Red Heat today, a movie podcast that are doing it next week.
Fuck me Arnie looks good in that film.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 82
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #8549 on: December 21, 2020, 10:32:21 AM »
Watched Us for a second time recently and it was even better the 2nd time. Watched Tenet and it was really good but confusing in parts.
Cocteau Twins