Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925509 times)

Yu Dum

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8850 on: December 02, 2021, 01:50:36 PM »
Recently rewatched 28 Days Later the other night and forgot how much I love that fucking movie. For something that looks incredibly low budget, Danny Boyle knocked that one out of the park with, what I feel, was an incredibly original idea for a zombie film.
The sequel, however, was fucking ass.

Uh Oh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #8851 on: December 02, 2021, 02:01:20 PM »
https://youtu.be/1R8lPYej_lk

It’s dated & probably doesn’t register as a “good movie” to most, but I enjoyed it. Bold abstract scenes littered throughout and a very whimsical (sometimes downright silly) tone.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8852 on: December 02, 2021, 02:03:19 PM »
Recently rewatched 28 Days Later the other night and forgot how much I love that fucking movie. For something that looks incredibly low budget, Danny Boyle knocked that one out of the park with, what I feel, was an incredibly original idea for a zombie film.
The sequel, however, was fucking ass.

Oh shit, I know what I'm watching tonight, I can see the DVD from where I'm sitting. Haven't seen it in about 10 years.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #8853 on: December 02, 2021, 03:34:38 PM »
Expand Quote
The Last Duel was fantastic... A+ and two thumbs up.

Not at all what I expected and from what I understand, marketed pretty poorly.  The trailers were made to look like a Gladiator-esque movie about dueling knights and honor but was so much more complex than that.
[close]

I've been meaning to check it out. Love ridley and his films

I"m a big fan of his, too. 

Would love to hear your take on it when you see it.

This is a great, spoiler-free review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=numjaU43ALo
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 03:56:17 PM by bea! »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8854 on: December 03, 2021, 04:42:33 AM »
Dead lands (from new Zealand)
Once again not a lot of brain power needed. Pretty classic revenge story that's been done in old western and samurai films plenty but in pre cook new Zealand with Maoris.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8855 on: December 07, 2021, 01:40:41 PM »

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #8856 on: December 09, 2021, 11:23:43 AM »
Power of the Dog

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #8857 on: December 09, 2021, 05:53:22 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO6TB35B2iI
I’ve been watching a bunch of movies I wasn’t aware of based on posts in here and this will be my next, I love Jon Bernthal, thanks for posting this!

Get hungry on it!

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8858 on: December 10, 2021, 06:51:07 AM »
I’ve been watching a bunch of movies I wasn’t aware of based on posts in here and this will be my next, I love Jon Bernthal, thanks for posting this!

cheers Gene, i've watched it a couple of times and got something different out of it each time--the friendship between the three main male characters is so solid and incredibly conveyed, and how much they all love and care about your boy's daughter is beautiful and complicated, considering lifestyles.

and i agree about Bernthal, and he's really good in this...i know his parts in Taylor Sheridan's best films haven't been the biggest parts but still, he was good in the first Sicario and--especially--in Wind River (which is on Netflix right now)

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8859 on: December 11, 2021, 11:40:40 AM »
https://youtu.be/1R8lPYej_lk

It’s dated & probably doesn’t register as a “good movie” to most, but I enjoyed it. Bold abstract scenes littered throughout and a very whimsical (sometimes downright silly) tone.

Trailer looks fantastic to me. Going to try and stream it today. Thanks for reminding me I never saw this one.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #8860 on: December 11, 2021, 12:08:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

cheers Gene, i've watched it a couple of times and got something different out of it each time--the friendship between the three main male characters is so solid and incredibly conveyed, and how much they all love and care about your boy's daughter is beautiful and complicated, considering lifestyles.

and i agree about Bernthal, and he's really good in this...i know his parts in Taylor Sheridan's best films haven't been the biggest parts but still, he was good in the first Sicario and--especially--in Wind River (which is on Netflix right now)

Wind river is super good but probably a movie I'll only watch once. It was really brutal and heavy

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8861 on: December 11, 2021, 01:26:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Wind river is super good but probably a movie I'll only watch once. It was really brutal and heavy

i get this Dale

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8862 on: December 11, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
Laying around all sick, just finished Wind River. Great movie. Need an 1895.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8863 on: December 11, 2021, 03:29:49 PM »
Laying around all sick, just finished Wind River. Great movie. Need an 1895.

that Marlin is a thing of fucking beauty, and i want one myself--the .45-70 Gov round is just a fucking brute...definitely need to start making your own ammo once you start shooting that. here's the oldtimer with that same rifle that Jeremy Renner is running around with through most of the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGUNWYV4QG4

the fucking prices on GunBroker are staggering

https://www.gunbroker.com/Marlin-1895/search?Keywords=Marlin%201895&s=f

the first Sicario, Hell or High Water, and Wind River....Taylor Sheridan is an incredible mind/writer and i can't help but to assume he's influenced heavily by Cormac McCarthy

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #8864 on: December 12, 2021, 06:58:46 AM »
You’ll shoot your eye out, kid.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8865 on: December 18, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »
Watched this last night. Wish more documentarians would follow up on their subjects. You can tell he really cares about them also.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa73N9rakJk

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #8866 on: December 18, 2021, 04:08:19 PM »
Danny Boyle/Sorkin's "Steve Jobs" from 2015. So great. I think it does a great job exploring Steve Jobs as an inventor and human, touching on how he was objectively an asshole and shit human, but still showing how he was the genius "conductor" of the orchestra that was apple and a really unique guy. Sorkin writes some serious heavy sentences, stuff that really makes you think, and Boyle always does a great job jumping around in time and doing visually interesting things. Highly recommend.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8867 on: December 28, 2021, 01:01:55 AM »
Don't look up was alright. Not great but good.

Rewatched the 40s jungle book and thief of Bagdad they kinda rule. Get a bit messy but it's pretty early cinema so easily forgiven. From a pure film making perspective they are fucking amazing.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #8868 on: December 28, 2021, 07:05:19 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed Licorice Pizza. 

If you've seen it but haven't listened to this, make sure you do. Will make your day:
https://youtu.be/Wo2KB1dEDdk

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8869 on: December 29, 2021, 05:27:10 AM »
Downriver 2015. Australian crime thriller. Not an action movie, not a fun movie it's pretty heavy. I don't even know if I can properly recommend it. It's good but it's a bummer.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8870 on: December 30, 2021, 12:56:28 PM »
Downriver 2015. Australian crime thriller. Not an action movie, not a fun movie it's pretty heavy. I don't even know if I can properly recommend it. It's good but it's a bummer.

A lot of aussie media is a bummer. I love it though. Animal kingdom, son of a gun, the Kettering incident, the rover. Shit is bleak but i fucking back it

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8871 on: December 30, 2021, 02:29:34 PM »
The Proposition is extremely uplifting though.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8872 on: December 30, 2021, 03:35:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A lot of aussie media is a bummer. I love it though. Animal kingdom, son of a gun, the Kettering incident, the rover. Shit is bleak but i fucking back it
Have you seen the nightingale? Jesus Christ it’s bleak.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8873 on: December 30, 2021, 09:45:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I haven't. I heard it's completely fucked

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8874 on: December 30, 2021, 10:19:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I haven't. I heard it's completely fucked
pretty sure I saw nightingale don't remember it being too bad. Completely different type of feeling tho to downriver. Maybe a bit more like Snowtown (another fucking bummer Aus movie)

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #8875 on: January 02, 2022, 06:12:26 AM »
I watched Dont breathe 2 last night, was alot better than i expected. It had this fucken kid from Empire records in it all grown up

funny

this was a trip

the other night me and my lady were watching dont breathe 2(predictable and not recommended), and afterwards she suggested we watch pecker(recommended!). odd pairing for a double feature i know, but the irony being that the main villain in dont breathe 2 and peckers shoplifting homeboy are the same dude, had me giggling for a whileo

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8876 on: January 02, 2022, 01:05:21 PM »
TAKE A PICTURE OF ME PECKER!!!!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8877 on: January 02, 2022, 02:43:02 PM »
Vertigo
So good but even if it wasn't it would probably still be worth watching just to hear Jimmy Stewart say "Midge" repeatedly in his weird, croaky voice.
also "here I was born and there I died. It was only a moment for you"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95o-QM-lz8g
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 02:58:47 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

GliderSkateboards

• Rep: 35
« Reply #8878 on: January 02, 2022, 11:27:08 PM »
Saw The Alpinist this past weekend with the wifey. Really great documentary that has a similar feel to the other outdoors climbings. Recommend it if you liked the Dawn Wall, Free Solo, etc. Out on netflix

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #8879 on: January 03, 2022, 05:22:56 AM »
DONT LOOK UP
its on Netflix. Funny, serious, subtle jabs, and a (very) little bit of skating. If you are in to end of the world shit, there ya go.