Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937355 times)

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8940 on: February 02, 2022, 06:46:01 AM »
Fantastic Fungi.  Thought provoking plus some great time lapse eye candy.  Really got me thinking about psilocybin for depression.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #8941 on: February 02, 2022, 08:49:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Watched Werewolves Within last night with my man. It was surprisingly good for a movie game movie. Kinda cliche and cheesy but a fun watch.
[close]
I really didn't like this one but how was it as a game movie? (Is it based off a video game? Is it faithful or whatever) I didn't know anything about it before I watched it so I was probably expecting something different. Just by chance I watched Shaun of the dead before I watched it so seeing the best horror comedy of all time right before it probably didn't help.

Werewolves Within was originally a "who done it" type clue game. Hard to compete with Edgar Wright! Speaking of him, saw Last Night in Soho. The plot and tone was a departure from his usual style. It was good 7.5/10. The cinematography was fucking mind blowing, but no surprise considering you know, Wright
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #8942 on: February 02, 2022, 09:08:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Watched Werewolves Within last night with my man. It was surprisingly good for a movie game movie. Kinda cliche and cheesy but a fun watch.
[close]
I really didn't like this one but how was it as a game movie? (Is it based off a video game? Is it faithful or whatever) I didn't know anything about it before I watched it so I was probably expecting something different. Just by chance I watched Shaun of the dead before I watched it so seeing the best horror comedy of all time right before it probably didn't help.
[close]

Werewolves Within was originally a "who done it" type clue game. Hard to compete with Edgar Wright! Speaking of him, saw Last Night in Soho. The plot and tone was a departure from his usual style. It was good 7.5/10. The cinematography was fucking mind blowing, but no surprise considering you know, Wright
Ah ok prob another example of me seeing way too many tv shows and movies so I pretty much guessed the twist from the begining. I've done zero research but it felt like one of those examples where the movie had to cut a bunch out for a better rating.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #8943 on: February 02, 2022, 10:23:37 AM »
Licorice Pizza was great. As far as I am concerned, PTA should be given $100,000,000 every five-ten years to make another sun-drenched, California 60s-70s period piece.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #8944 on: February 10, 2022, 08:34:53 AM »
Funny Games (original 1997 austrian version)

Holy fuck i loved this movie. Idk if any movie has ever done so well building such an absolute feeling of pure dread the whole way through. Thought it was going to be gory torture scenes but it was more the opposite. Highly recommend. People also love the 2007 American remake by the same director too if you don't want to read subtitles

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8945 on: February 10, 2022, 08:44:50 AM »

Holy fuck i loved this movie. Idk if any movie has ever done so well building such an absolute feeling of pure dread the whole way through. Thought it was going to be gory torture scenes but it was more the opposite. Highly recommend. People also love the 2007 American remake by the same director too if you don't want to read subtitles
I don't get how anyone could ever be scared of a horror movie (especially new jump scare garbage) when movies like this exist.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8946 on: February 11, 2022, 08:57:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don't get how anyone could ever be scared of a horror movie (especially new jump scare garbage) when movies like this exist.

I saw the 2007 version first. It was memorable and felt like a time released anxiety attack where I definitely needed to see it all the way through to let it go. Good movie.

ssNB462

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8947 on: February 11, 2022, 09:17:05 AM »
I really enjoyed the Nightmare Alley movie with Bradley Cooper that came out recently.

Boardfeel is a myth
Come back Adio, we miss you

dunc

• Rep: 52
« Reply #8948 on: February 16, 2022, 01:14:36 AM »
Watched The Power of the Dog. Beautifully shot and great acting. New Zealand has a better Montana than Montana. It's up for lots of awards but is rather polarizing for lots of people.  Slow but edgy . Loved it.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8949 on: February 16, 2022, 08:23:27 AM »
Red Rocket was great! 

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #8950 on: February 17, 2022, 11:55:03 AM »
Hudson Hawk is the absolute greatest Bruce Willis movie I've ever seen. Go watch on Netflix ASAP
Yet to see Hudson Hawk. We should make a thread of your top 10 favorite BW films, here’s mine:
Looper
The Jackal 
12 Monkeys
Alpha Dog
Red
Sin City
Pulp Fiction
Die Hard With A Vengeance 
Armageddon
Moonrise Kingdom

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8951 on: February 17, 2022, 05:20:31 PM »
The whole nine yards
Bandits
Die hard
Die hard with a vengeance
12 monkeys
Pulp fiction
Tears of the sun
The fifth element
Oceans 12
Moonrise kingdom

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8952 on: February 17, 2022, 06:41:19 PM »
The 5th Element
The last Boyscout
Die Hard
Die Hard 2
Pulp Fiction
The whole 9 Yards
Looper
Last Man Standing
Sin City
Unbreakable

I’m that order.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8953 on: February 18, 2022, 11:55:11 AM »
really insatiable for WWII resistance flicks lately--i know trailers never do films justice, but both of these are fucking gnarly and inspiring and based pretty firmly in the history

in Denmark

in Czechoslovakia

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8954 on: February 18, 2022, 12:54:47 PM »
Also huge shout out to The Women (1939) first film with no male speaking roles and an all female cast. Norma Shearer acts her ass off in this film, and Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Joan Fontaine and Paulette Goddard are exceptional.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8955 on: February 18, 2022, 02:55:54 PM »
really insatiable for WWII resistance flicks lately--i know trailers never do films justice, but both of these are fucking gnarly and inspiring and based pretty firmly in the history

in Denmark

in Czechoslovakia

Damn I love Flame and Citron.. man, Netflix used to have so much great content for instant streaming. All the classics, plus lesser known films like that one.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 434
« Reply #8956 on: February 19, 2022, 02:51:22 AM »
Just rewatched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Seriously might be my favourite Tarantino film, everything about it is perfect.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #8957 on: February 19, 2022, 08:55:05 AM »
Finally saw Benedetta, the latest Paul Verhoeven film. I guess cause theaters weren’t really open when it was released, I don’t think I realized that it’s been out.

Watched that two nights ago, and Showgirls last night

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8958 on: February 20, 2022, 12:05:03 AM »
Old Henry.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8959 on: February 20, 2022, 11:04:19 AM »
I watched Parallel Mothers last night. The end kind of drags on a little bit, but I definitely recommend it. Love me some Almodovar.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8960 on: February 21, 2022, 02:20:20 AM »
After spending at least an hour looking thru multiple streaming menus for something to watch gave up and put on mission impossible: Ghost protocol. Haven't seen it since it was at the cinema and was a bit worried because it's right in the shitty sweet spot (anti- sweet spot? Sour spot? Whatever) date wise. Not new but old enough to be good for it's time etc
I'd say actually pretty good maybe this is when action movies actually peaked. Obviously still has CGI and some dodgey fast edits during stunts and fights but it's the way it should be done. Not too long at 2 and a bit hours (could of prob just turned it off fifteen mins early when the mission was over) no real dead boring bits.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8961 on: February 21, 2022, 10:34:12 AM »
first, i feel you on Old Henry @Bunk Moreland ... who would have thought that Stephen Dorf would make such a great old crusty outlaw?

Master and Commander is incredible...lost track of how many times i've watched it now--i especially love the relationship between the captain and the doctor, so much going on there.

also, a seriously fucking brilliant scene from another classic

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #8962 on: February 21, 2022, 10:51:00 AM »
Just watched prisoners for the first time, some of the best performances from Hugh Jackman and Jake Gylenhall

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8963 on: February 21, 2022, 12:56:59 PM »
first, i feel you on Old Henry @Bunk Moreland ... who would have thought that Stephen Dorf would make such a great old crusty outlaw?

Master and Commander is incredible...lost track of how many times i've watched it now--i especially love the relationship between the captain and the doctor, so much going on there.

also, a seriously fucking brilliant scene from another classic

Dorf was great. I should have seen the twist, had a couple of beers and just let it get by me. I really like that it respected my time too. Short but sweet.

thebacker

« Reply #8964 on: February 21, 2022, 12:58:14 PM »
that newish hansel and gretel movie that came out a few years ago was surprisingly good

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8965 on: February 21, 2022, 03:11:25 PM »
this whole film straight knocked me on my ass from start to finish, but seriously though, i did not see this scene coming

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1395
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8966 on: February 21, 2022, 07:08:19 PM »
I really enjoyed the Nightmare Alley movie with Bradley Cooper that came out recently.

great film. I found it really enjoyable until the end. Oh boy, that ending fuuuuucked me up. First movie I've watched since I was a kid that kept me up at night. Still, an excellent film
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Acky Jacky

« Reply #8967 on: February 21, 2022, 10:21:51 PM »

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #8968 on: February 21, 2022, 10:55:44 PM »
watched Memento for the first time a couple days ago

coalition_msk