Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925458 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9060 on: May 11, 2022, 11:56:02 PM »
the matrix and akira are my favorite. nothing like a good sci-fi!
Seen dark city (1998)? It's interesting to watch and compare it to the matrix. It's also an alright film just for watching.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9061 on: May 12, 2022, 03:13:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just rewatched Thief from 1981. Scenes like the one in the coffee shop where where James Caan is telling his Joliet prison horror story to Tuesday Weld are so incredibly gripping. The whole movie is well written and the soundtrack is fantastic.
[close]

Hell yeah it is.
[close]

Surprised no one's used Confrontation in a video part.

I was thinking the same thing

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #9062 on: May 13, 2022, 10:26:08 AM »
Expand Quote
I just rewatched Thief from 1981. Scenes like the one in the coffee shop where where James Caan is telling his Joliet prison horror story to Tuesday Weld are so incredibly gripping. The whole movie is well written and the soundtrack is fantastic.
[close]

Hell yeah it is.

i actually haven't gotten around to watching this but always mean to. soundtrack done by tangerine dream right?

watched everything all at once last night. really liked it

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #9063 on: May 15, 2022, 08:12:37 AM »
The Northman was good, but I was expecting more I guess. The audio was amazing. Definitely worth watching.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #9064 on: May 15, 2022, 01:15:44 PM »
Digging my own grave, the films of Caveh Zahedi, is a boxset I'm making my way through. The best ones so far have been "A little Stiff," and "I am a Sex Addict."

this is him now and gives a good idea of his brand of neurotic exploration of self and society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_We98KknQM

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9065 on: May 18, 2022, 06:21:35 AM »
Prince of darkness(1987)
I'm biased towards older movies and I especially love the 80s. The music, the practical effects and hitting just the right amount of cheese. It's not necessarily leagues ahead of other horror- sci fi (maybe sci fi is wrong it's scientists and religion) movies but its like take all the best bits of movies of the genre and combine them for something great.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9066 on: May 18, 2022, 07:21:34 AM »
^^^ Might be one of my favorite Carpenter films…usually watch the “apocalypse” trilogy around Halloween time…
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #9067 on: May 18, 2022, 07:57:09 AM »
About to see Inland Empire for the first time tonight. A new restoration at a hundred year old theater and I am stoked

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #9068 on: May 19, 2022, 10:28:39 AM »
Prince of darkness(1987)
I'm biased towards older movies and I especially love the 80s. The music, the practical effects and hitting just the right amount of cheese. It's not necessarily leagues ahead of other horror- sci fi (maybe sci fi is wrong it's scientists and religion) movies but its like take all the best bits of movies of the genre and combine them for something great.

this might be my favorite Carpenter film.  there's just something about this one that is so bleak it just hits me different than his other films (and that's saying something). 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9069 on: May 19, 2022, 01:46:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Prince of darkness(1987)
[close]

this might be my favorite Carpenter film.  there's just something about this one that is so bleak it just hits me different than his other films (and that's saying something).

Exactly… i guess it always creeped me out because it’s an unseen entity..

Dark subject matter with all the great Carpenter motifs.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #9070 on: May 19, 2022, 05:24:22 PM »
Fury Road black and chrome version, so much more intense in black and white
Cocteau Twins

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #9071 on: May 19, 2022, 05:53:06 PM »
Watched Old Henry last night on Netflix. Damn good gritty Western, perhaps one of the best Westerns of the last 20 years.

Rewatching Hateful Eight tonight, perhaps my second favourite Tarantino flick.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:16:39 PM by TheBoognish »

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #9072 on: May 19, 2022, 06:53:08 PM »
Watched Old Henry last night on Netflix. Damn good gritty Western, perhaps one of the best Westerns of the last 20 years.

Rewatching Hateful Eight tonight, perhaps my second favourite Tarantion flick.
Out of curiosity what’s your top 5 from him look like?

Get hungry on it!

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9073 on: May 19, 2022, 07:16:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Inglourious Basterds
Hateful Eight
Jackie Brown
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1-2 (When I watch Kill Bill, I watch both back to back, so I’ll count ‘em as one)

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #9074 on: May 19, 2022, 08:59:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Inglourious Basterds
Hateful Eight
Jackie Brown
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill 1-2 (When I watch Kill Bill, I watch both back to back, so I’ll count ‘em as one)

Pulp Fiction
Hateful Eight
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill 1-2
Reservoir Dogs

If you like badass westerns you should watch The Sisters Brothers. I skipped it so many times on netflix or prime, wherever the fuck it streams and when I finally watched it, its fucking dope. So is the recent True Grit.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #9075 on: May 20, 2022, 04:28:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Inglourious Basterds
Hateful Eight
Jackie Brown
Pulp Fiction
Those are mine too. For me though Pulp Fiction will always be #1, followed by Inglorious Basterds, then Kill Bill 1 & 2, Jackie Brown, then Hateful Eight.

Get hungry on it!

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9076 on: May 20, 2022, 05:09:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Inglourious Basterds
Hateful Eight
Jackie Brown
Pulp Fiction

[close]
Pulp Fiction
Hateful Eight
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill 1-2
Reservoir Dogs

If you like badass westerns you should watch The Sisters Brothers. I skipped it so many times on netflix or prime, wherever the fuck it streams and when I finally watched it, its fucking dope. So is the recent True Grit.

I loved The Sisters Brothers, a damn good Western indeed. Recent True Grit with Jeff Bridges was fucking phenomenal, perfect guy for the role.

If you are to watch Old Henry, DO NOT watch the trailer, they goof’d up and end up spoiling something big. Go straight to the movie.

@Gene_Harrogate

Those are his finest works in my opinion, no matter the order. Not that he has many weaknesses, but I feel like those are a cut above the rest.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #9077 on: May 20, 2022, 08:21:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Inglourious Basterds
Hateful Eight
Jackie Brown
Pulp Fiction

[close]
Pulp Fiction
Hateful Eight
Jackie Brown
Kill Bill 1-2
Reservoir Dogs

[close]

I loved The Sisters Brothers, a damn good Western indeed. Recent True Grit with Jeff Bridges was fucking phenomenal, perfect guy for the role.

If you are to watch Old Henry, DO NOT watch the trailer, they goof’d up and end up spoiling something big. Go straight to the movie.

@Gene_Harrogate

Those are his finest works in my opinion, no matter the order. Not that he has many weaknesses, but I feel like those are a cut above the rest.
Ill check it out, I try to avoid trailers. I loved the clip in Sisters Brothers with the ambush. Jaoquin is walking up on that wounded dude who is praying and just says "What are you talking about?" BOOM! lol.

My neighbor is THE Dukes son. They just gave us some belt buckles with him on them.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9078 on: May 20, 2022, 08:35:52 AM »
Beverly Hills cop.
It's funny (not side splitting but humourous) story makes sense and decent action.

Unrelated but related watching Casper Brooker parts thinking dam it's such a shame all this is filmed like garbage, if this was filmed ten years ago it would be all time. Same thing with real movies it's crazy how late 80s just even no budget dogshit thru to what's essentially a comedy thru to proper budget action all knew how to film a movie then years later you're in 00s/10s and everything starts to turn to unwatchable camera work/editing

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #9079 on: May 20, 2022, 08:38:49 AM »
The other day I finally caught The Batman, and it was pretty rad... I'd heard it was good & really liked the whole environment and especially the creep factor of The Joker.

Having said, I was still on a comic kick so I rewatched Dredd (the newer one with Karl Urban) for the billionth time. Favorite comic book flick ever... one of my big brothers got me hooked on the title when I was a little gromlet, and Dredd as a character was brought on screen in a way I never expected he could be. Just rad as fuck. I wanted there to be a sequel to it halfway through the opening scene... which will unfortunately never happen.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9080 on: May 21, 2022, 04:50:20 AM »
Border (2018)
Good, weird, Interesting Swedish movie.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #9081 on: May 21, 2022, 06:32:56 AM »
Just watched Alex Garland’s new film Men. The whole film feels like a dream, for better and worse. Early in the film the countryside drive scene and the forest walk (with the tunnel moment) are almost magical and transportive. And then the film turns into a claustrophobic and confusing nightmare with some body horror stuff that’s just fucked up and insane. I think I liked the film overall, but it definitely earns a comparison to Darron Aronofski’s Mother. Haven’t stopped thinking about it. Much of the symbolism was lost on me though.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9082 on: May 21, 2022, 08:31:55 AM »
Just watched Alex Garland’s new film Men. The whole film feels like a dream, for better and worse. Early in the film the countryside drive scene and the forest walk (with the tunnel moment) are almost magical and transportive. And then the film turns into a claustrophobic and confusing nightmare with some body horror stuff that’s just fucked up and insane. I think I liked the film overall, but it definitely earns a comparison to Darron Aronofski’s Mother. Haven’t stopped thinking about it. Much of the symbolism was lost on me though.

Going to see this tonight with ma' lady.  Love Garland's work, and the mother! comp is just icing on the cake for me.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9083 on: May 21, 2022, 09:42:27 AM »
I finally saw Logan last night. Great movie.

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #9084 on: May 26, 2022, 07:56:44 AM »
I watched "OLD" by M. Night Shyamalan last weekend and enjoyed every minute of it. Tight horror with great actors and unexpected ending.

Also "Wrath of Man" was super good, amazing atmosphere and tense action.

Before that tried watching the new Matrix but what the heck was that?!

"The French Dispatch" was superb and I will definitely rewatch.

Anyone have suggestions for this weekend? I'm considering the new Batman and Nightmare Alley.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9085 on: May 26, 2022, 08:01:51 AM »
The other day I finally caught The Batman, and it was pretty rad... I'd heard it was good & really liked the whole environment and especially the creep factor of The Joker.

Having said, I was still on a comic kick so I rewatched Dredd (the newer one with Karl Urban) for the billionth time. Favorite comic book flick ever... one of my big brothers got me hooked on the title when I was a little gromlet, and Dredd as a character was brought on screen in a way I never expected he could be. Just rad as fuck. I wanted there to be a sequel to it halfway through the opening scene... which will unfortunately never happen.

Have you seen "The Raid: Redemption"?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #9086 on: May 26, 2022, 08:14:36 AM »
I saw the conversation recently with my gf and her sister and i was blown away. I think it's Coppola's best work

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9087 on: May 26, 2022, 08:52:31 AM »
Blue bayou
Just a good drama. Good acting and story (altho not completely unlike things you've probably seen before) it's good to know good films are still being made without superheros and space ships etc altho I don't think it made any money so that's a bit of a shame.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9088 on: May 26, 2022, 09:37:30 AM »
I saw the conversation recently with my gf and her sister and i was blown away. I think it's Coppola's best work

He had quite the run there in 70s- early 80s… Godfather 1&2, The Conversation, The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, and Apocalypse Now to name a few.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #9089 on: May 26, 2022, 10:37:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He had quite the run there in 70s- early 80s… Godfather 1&2, The Conversation, The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, and Apocalypse Now to name a few.

The gf hated the godfather so it's unlikely she sees 2 with me, but i can definitely convince her on the others