Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 929584 times)

slappies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9120 on: July 05, 2022, 07:44:54 PM »
I watched Badlands tonight, Terrance Malick's first movie. I loved it, it was beautifully shot and I thought the pacing of it was great. It didn't rush through which let you really take in the scenery of it.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #9121 on: July 06, 2022, 08:54:27 AM »
Crimes of the Future by David Cronenberg.  I fuckin loved it although I certainly wouldn't recommend it to people unless they're already familiar with Cronenberg.  Wish it could've been a mini series

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1439
« Reply #9122 on: July 06, 2022, 12:11:51 PM »
Saw marathon man the other night. Damn roy Schneider was built in that movie

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9123 on: July 06, 2022, 09:07:42 PM »
Saw marathon man the other night. Damn roy Schneider was built in that movie

That's such a good classic film. I love how all his neighbors call him "Creepy" as a nickname.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9124 on: July 06, 2022, 10:42:29 PM »
watched the card counter the other night. wasn't expecting much but damn did it leave me feeling uncomfortably engaged the whole time.

I saw that a few months ago. Wish Willem Dafoe had more screentime but I can find value in anything Schrader directs. Truly one of my absolute favorite writer/directors.

Rolling Thunder, Mishima, Light Sleeper, American Gigolo, Taxi Driver, etc., his credits are pretty amazing.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #9125 on: July 06, 2022, 10:50:21 PM »
Has anyone dipped their toe in RRR yet.   I meant to see it in theaters, but now that it’s on Netflix, I just can’t seem to dive in

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9126 on: July 06, 2022, 11:02:09 PM »
Has anyone dipped their toe in RRR yet.   I meant to see it in theaters, but now that it’s on Netflix, I just can’t seem to dive in

My friend told me it is "out of sight."

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #9127 on: July 06, 2022, 11:07:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
According to the olds it's so over the top it's entertaining. But their recommendations and critiques are all over the place so don't know what to think.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #9128 on: July 07, 2022, 12:50:32 PM »
RIP James Caan…

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9129 on: July 07, 2022, 02:14:08 PM »
I rewatched mother! for the 3rd time.  It's on Prime, and while it's not a perfect movie, I get something new out of it every watch.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9130 on: July 09, 2022, 01:15:59 PM »
Carnage

one of my all-time favorites, which i return to often to confirm the soundness of my perspective of "modern" human beings.

here, one of many splendid scenes, that some soul happened to put up on youtube:

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9131 on: July 09, 2022, 01:28:16 PM »
Expand Quote
watched the card counter the other night. wasn't expecting much but damn did it leave me feeling uncomfortably engaged the whole time.
[close]

I saw that a few months ago. Wish Willem Dafoe had more screentime but I can find value in anything Schrader directs. Truly one of my absolute favorite writer/directors.

Rolling Thunder, Mishima, Light Sleeper, American Gigolo, Taxi Driver, etc., his credits are pretty amazing.

I'm not knowledgeable about the writing/direction team, but it was damn good. I feel that if Dafoe had more time, he would have been over powering, leaving the protagonist in the dust. I appreciated his low key, sinister position in the flick. The whole thing left me feeling kind of unsettled, almost akin to what I felt after nightmare alley.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #9132 on: July 09, 2022, 06:21:02 PM »
Carnage

one of my all-time favorites, which i return to often to confirm the soundness of my perspective of "modern" human beings.

here, one of many splendid scenes, that some soul happened to put up on youtube:

One of the cooler moments I’ve had was seeing this with Gandolfini, Jeff Daniels, Marcia Gay Harden, and Judy Davis

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9133 on: July 10, 2022, 06:46:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Carnage

[close]

One of the cooler moments I’ve had was seeing this with Gandolfini, Jeff Daniels, Marcia Gay Harden, and Judy Davis

i'm pretty oblivious sometimes, admittedly...had no idea these 4 people performed it...i bet it was incredible. did a little searching around for scenes, and came across this funny little bit about Gandolfini from Jeff Daniels

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9134 on: July 10, 2022, 01:42:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Carnage

[close]

We need the full story to this chief.

Phantom of the Open was an awesome movie with some great laughs throughout. True story of the dude who was mistakenly allowed into the British Open golf tournament and proceeded to play the worst game in the tournaments history.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9135 on: July 10, 2022, 05:33:10 PM »
licorice pizza ..

went into it not knowing anything other than it’s pta so i just assumed it was going to be good .. beautiful funny lovely . didn’t even realize it was ps hoffmans kid until halfway through when i googled the cast and then it just hit me like wow this kid is a chip off the old block . his future looks bright
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9136 on: July 10, 2022, 08:40:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm not knowledgeable about the writing/direction team, but it was damn good. I feel that if Dafoe had more time, he would have been over powering, leaving the protagonist in the dust. I appreciated his low key, sinister position in the flick. The whole thing left me feeling kind of unsettled, almost akin to what I felt after nightmare alley.
Dam I put this in the bad new movies thread. I really felt like it didn't work in the end. Yes mostly good acting but felt like the movie just gives up and wastes what would be a very interesting setup/premise.

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #9137 on: July 11, 2022, 07:04:57 AM »
Saw 'Us' from Jordan Peele for the first time yesterday and I enjoyed it

Like 'Get Out' it leaves you thinking about what you just saw...

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9138 on: July 11, 2022, 07:05:10 AM »
Yeah I was super hyped for The Card Counter and felt that it genuinely sucked and didn't work at all for what it was going for imo

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1439
« Reply #9139 on: July 11, 2022, 08:01:16 AM »
Spencer was exceptional. Kristin Stewart was fantastic as princess Di

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9140 on: July 11, 2022, 10:43:36 AM »
I finally watched Raging Bull last night. Visually the film has a black and white Coppola Rumble Fish aesthetic very near and dear to my heart. For certain scenes (Deniro having a meltdown in Dade County Jail and all the boxing scenes with their grainy violence and gore) the cinematography veers heavily into an art film area of floating oneiric beauty that make even the most gruesome moments somehow palatable. Lamotta is an unlikeable character to say the least, so there was almost an ethereal detachment of scientific observation to his self imposed agony and brutal outbursts as he destroys everything good that surrounds him. I'm wondering if maybe the last scene was a direct influence on the ending of Boogie Nights?

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 414
« Reply #9141 on: July 11, 2022, 02:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
According to the olds it's so over the top it's entertaining. But their recommendations and critiques are all over the place so don't know what to think.
[close]

RRR is a wild ride.  A little bit Commando, a little bit Bring It On, a little bit Passion of the Christ.  Are the politics suspect? Yes, but isn’t that the true mark of a good action movie?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9142 on: July 14, 2022, 11:01:23 AM »
Was it this thread that recently recommended Thief (1981)?

Nonetheless its an amazing film and James Caan is at his absolute best in it like most of his performances. Soundtrack is so fucking sick too. Time to go on a Caan bender. Rollerball and the Gambler next in line

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9143 on: July 14, 2022, 02:29:35 PM »

Nonetheless its an amazing film and James Caan is at his absolute best in it like most of his performances. Soundtrack is so fucking sick too. Time to go on a Caan bender. Rollerball and the Gambler next in line

Thief is exceptional. The soundtrack is amazing too. I listened to the Thief commentary sometime ago and James Caan admitted that he hated the music because it gave him a headache, which I thought was hilarious. He also thanked Michael Mann repeatedly for not making him wear shorts in the scenes where he’s walking in the beach with Tuesday Weld because he was so shy about his skinny legs.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9144 on: July 14, 2022, 08:46:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thief is exceptional. The soundtrack is amazing too. I listened to the Thief commentary sometime ago and James Caan admitted that he hated the music because it gave him a headache, which I thought was hilarious. He also thanked Michael Mann repeatedly for not making him wear shorts in the scenes where he’s walking in the beach with Tuesday Weld because he was so shy about his skinny legs.

Haha holy shit I'm gonna need to watch that soon

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #9145 on: July 15, 2022, 04:30:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love hearing behind the scenes details like that. Amazing ha….

He was in Wes Anderson’s first film “Bottle Rocket” which is on Netflix currently. He’s great in it. RIP.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 361
« Reply #9146 on: July 15, 2022, 10:32:18 AM »
Just watched Intruder (1989) last night. A very fun and quirky Raimi-adjacent horror flick. Plenty of interesting shots and some unique death scenes. Will probably watch again soon.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9147 on: July 16, 2022, 04:00:24 AM »
Spider man no way home was actually pretty good. I always think I'm done with all those types of movies but then they end up on some streaming thing I already have and think why not. If it wasn't such a massive pain in the ass/wallet to go to the cinema that one would of actually have been worth it. Would of also been great to watch it knowing absolutely nothing but with the world we live in unfortunately that's impossible. Anyway if you're bored, don't mind the marvel movies and have two and a bit hours spare it's worth it.

spicysk8rboi

• Rep: 4
« Reply #9148 on: July 17, 2022, 06:49:10 PM »
Watched RRR on Netflix and dude… I have never been on such a roller coaster while watching a movie. Absolutely incredible film

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9149 on: July 17, 2022, 09:35:27 PM »
I watched "Escape From New York" last night. Bad ass flick.