Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 932296 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9720 on: May 07, 2023, 10:42:27 AM »
Been having a real good run on tubi lately. The revenant, la confidential, copycat, frankenhooker, lawnmower man, phenomena even a whole bunch of crummier stuff i enjoy if it looks nice. Was fukn dying laughing at this cheesy 90s movie Snapdragon but that may have just been lack of sleep

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9721 on: May 07, 2023, 02:54:25 PM »
Some months back someone in this or a similar thread, posted this really good documentary from maybe the late 70s/early 80s, that was like a really gritty slice-of-life type doc. It followed the life of these kids living on the street, doing drugs, crime, & hustling. I think it was filmed in NYC but could have been SF or some other major city.

I had never heard of it before but it was super good, and can't recall what it was called now. Anybody remember the film I'm talking about & can tell me the name of it? Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Are you thinking of this one?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Dental Dan

• Rep: 34
« Reply #9722 on: May 07, 2023, 03:14:44 PM »
Been having a real good run on tubi lately. The revenant, la confidential, copycat, frankenhooker, lawnmower man, phenomena even a whole bunch of crummier stuff i enjoy if it looks nice. Was fukn dying laughing at this cheesy 90s movie Snapdragon but that may have just been lack of sleep
Had to look up Frankenhooker.
This is from the plot description on wikipedia:

'The "Frankenhooker" escapes the basement and begins looking for customers, who end up exploding from electricity when they try getting intimate with her.'

An incredible sentence.
The cia should be sucking our toes and building us better ledge tech.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #9723 on: May 08, 2023, 03:05:50 AM »
Gotg v3 satisfied the hell out of me.   Also, put it in the movies that made you cry section - animals in pain always get the waterworks started

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #9724 on: May 08, 2023, 04:14:31 AM »
Same… animal injury/death hits different. But Gonna take my nephew to see it this weekend he’s super into the mcu. I enjoyed the first two…
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9725 on: May 08, 2023, 02:06:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Some months back someone in this or a similar thread, posted this really good documentary from maybe the late 70s/early 80s, that was like a really gritty slice-of-life type doc. It followed the life of these kids living on the street, doing drugs, crime, & hustling. I think it was filmed in NYC but could have been SF or some other major city.

I had never heard of it before but it was super good, and can't recall what it was called now. Anybody remember the film I'm talking about & can tell me the name of it? Any help would be appreciated, thank you
[close]

Are you thinking of this one?

Yeah I was. About to rewatch, thanks

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #9726 on: May 08, 2023, 07:31:26 PM »
Super Mario Bros in 3D was a good time!  Worth it now that theaters have emptied a bit.  So nice to see 3D movies again, the animated Pixar and Illumination movies look so great through those glasses, worth it if you have AMC Stubs and the premium ticket price is negligible.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9727 on: May 08, 2023, 08:11:41 PM »
Super Mario Bros in 3D was a good time!  Worth it now that theaters have emptied a bit.  So nice to see 3D movies again, the animated Pixar and Illumination movies look so great through those glasses, worth it if you have AMC Stubs and the premium ticket price is negligible.

Go see Dungeons in Dragons.  I’m sure that’s in 3D

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #9728 on: May 08, 2023, 08:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Go see Dungeons in Dragons.  I’m sure that’s in 3D

Saw it “flat” already, it was a lot of fun!  I’ll see if it’s in 3D near me.  I think GotG vol 3 is in 3D too, might have to check that now

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
« Reply #9729 on: May 10, 2023, 01:44:14 PM »
The firm is so good. Love 80s-90s white collar thriller shit

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #9730 on: May 10, 2023, 10:52:20 PM »
Midnight Run was fucking awesome. Highly recommend if you wanna see a dope Robert Deniro character when he was a bit younger. Hilarious but bad ass and all around great movie

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9731 on: May 11, 2023, 12:01:59 AM »
Midnight Run was fucking awesome. Highly recommend if you wanna see a dope Robert Deniro character when he was a bit younger. Hilarious but bad ass and all around great movie

Saw PTA moderate a screening discussion with Marty Bressman, definitely an inspiration for him.  Underrated film.  Bressman said he wanted to craft a film like It’s A Mad Mad Mad Mad World - ensemble thriller comedy finely tuned like a Swiss clock.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
« Reply #9732 on: May 11, 2023, 04:34:38 AM »

So good. RIP Charles Grodin

On a Coens marathon…started with O Brother… love this scene. Chris Thomas King rules…

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #9733 on: May 11, 2023, 03:02:19 PM »
Guardians of the galaxy 3. Raccoons are cool
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9734 on: May 11, 2023, 06:22:32 PM »

The thing I love about Bradley Cooper is that he never phones it in.   He was the def MVP of the series. 

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #9735 on: May 11, 2023, 07:43:15 PM »

Sweet rabbit.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9736 on: May 11, 2023, 07:51:38 PM »
“Air” is free on Prime now.   Nothing revolutionary, but I enjoyed it a lot.   Good double feature with Tetris

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9737 on: May 11, 2023, 10:02:42 PM »
Finally watched The Seven Five and it was fuckin awesome. Already knew the story a bit from his software underbelly interview but this doc was well worth the watch

Here's the interview, also worth watching along with the full documentary

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #9738 on: May 12, 2023, 08:07:40 AM »
To Live And Die In L.A.

Somehow never saw it until this week. It’s got some old 1980s Hollywood hokum but also feels like the realest shit ever in some scenes. I dug it.

Not on streaming presently but high def version here (finally managed to get screencast working on my TV!)

https://archive.org/details/7.3-to-live-and-die-in-l.-a.-1985

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #9739 on: May 12, 2023, 08:41:52 AM »
Has anyone seen the menu? I really enjoyed that one.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9740 on: May 12, 2023, 08:46:19 AM »
To Live And Die In L.A.

Somehow never saw it until this week. It’s got some old 1980s Hollywood hokum but also feels like the realest shit ever in some scenes. I dug it.

Not on streaming presently but high def version here (finally managed to get screencast working on my TV!)

It fucking rules. Seems it's a pretty common thing for people to have not heard of it for whatever reason (I was one too until a couple years back) even tho it's pretty much the ultimate 80s movie

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9741 on: May 12, 2023, 10:30:21 AM »
^^putting this at the top of my watch list. Been sitting in it for 10+ years about time I fuckin dive in

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9742 on: May 12, 2023, 06:54:07 PM »
When Friedkin came to my film school, Killer Joe wasn’t ready to screen for us, so they screened TLDILA for us instead.   An amazing choice

Also, instead of the usual “sit down for a a and a after the film” he waved off the guy and just took the stage and gave a TED talk basically.   It was so cool.   (There’s also an amazing part of the Getty museum where you can hear him talk about a piece of art if you have the audio guide.)

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9743 on: May 12, 2023, 08:57:17 PM »
Just saw Beau is Afraid finally and Holy fuck idk what that was.  Felt like a mix of Brazil and Inland Empire in terms of absurdity.  I have absolutely no real thoughts to share other than it was one wild fun ride

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9744 on: May 13, 2023, 06:45:43 AM »
Rewatched Monty python and the holy grail after seeing it getting hate in another thread and I'll say it's fine and still has plenty of funny parts. Yes some stuff is overly silly (someone's knights who say ni comment was def warranted) but it's fucking fitty years old and also made for all audiences so whatevs it's fine. Can't imagine that Mario brothers movie or whatever is funny either

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9745 on: May 13, 2023, 06:48:02 AM »
Rewatched Monty python and the holy grail after seeing it getting hate in another thread and I'll say it's fine and still has plenty of funny parts. Yes some stuff is overly silly (someone's knights who say ni comment was def warranted) but it's fucking fitty years old and also made for all audiences so whatevs it's fine. Can't imagine that Mario brothers movie or whatever is funny either

People laughed at Jack black singing the word peaches a bunch of times.   Makes NI look like high art

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 795
« Reply #9746 on: May 13, 2023, 07:23:16 AM »
To Live And Die In L.A.

one of my all time favorites.  happened to catch on HBO while housesitting one day, and it caught me by surprise and blew me away.  i watch it several times a year now. 

got this bootleg T recently

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #9747 on: May 13, 2023, 10:28:19 AM »
To Live And Die In L.A.

This is my friend’s favorite movie. Used to smoke weed and watch it every afternoon in like 1994
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9748 on: May 13, 2023, 12:09:42 PM »
Expand Quote
To Live And Die In L.A.

[close]

This is my friend’s favorite movie. Used to smoke weed and watch it every afternoon in like 1994

So you didn’t have reaction I did watching it and struggling to get over that the CSI guy was the (pretty good) lead in a film

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9749 on: May 13, 2023, 03:10:54 PM »
I forget who’s going to Sorcerer at New Beverly this week, but worst case scenario and you can’t make it, I’ll buy whatever you have