Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925798 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9810 on: June 02, 2023, 06:08:22 PM »
Expand Quote
and, this looks like it will be incredible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0si5bSd6I
[close]

Yeah definitely looking forward to this. I've been wanting to read the book for awhile, so I finally just downloaded the audiobook of it to listen to while I was working. It's really good, has me even more excited to see it now.

I find J. Edgar Hoover super interesting also, so I got excited whenever anything about him popped up in it. I could upload it if anyone's interested.

I just read a different book by this author, but it was interesting in the afterword he mentioned he found out the Flower Moon story and was starting to research it but then found out the Grann book was about to be published so he ditched it for the book I read. 

David Grann just released a new book called the Wager which is good, but Lost City of Z is where I would venture next.    A lot more in-depth than the movie and covers other eras of exploration for the Z the movie ignores

ToshiroTownune

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #9811 on: June 03, 2023, 02:16:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah definitely looking forward to this. I've been wanting to read the book for awhile, so I finally just downloaded the audiobook of it to listen to while I was working. It's really good, has me even more excited to see it now.

I find J. Edgar Hoover super interesting also, so I got excited whenever anything about him popped up in it. I could upload it if anyone's interested.
[close]

I just read a different book by this author, but it was interesting in the afterword he mentioned he found out the Flower Moon story and was starting to research it but then found out the Grann book was about to be published so he ditched it for the book I read. 

David Grann just released a new book called the Wager which is good, but Lost City of Z is where I would venture next.    A lot more in-depth than the movie and covers other eras of exploration for the Z the movie ignores

Which book?

About fifteen years ago I cold emailed Grann and asked to interview him for a website I was doing and he was down. Talked to him for like an hour and he gave me a lot of advice and was the nicest guy. Have nothing but respect for him, and there's a reason he's one of the most respected longform nonfiction authors in the game and a ton of his articles have been turned into films.

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #9812 on: June 03, 2023, 02:52:43 AM »
Martin Lawrence in Blue Streak

this classic 1999 movie. a diamond thief gets caught and goes to jail but leaves a million dollar diamond at a construction site. he gets out of jail and the construction site is now an LAPD center so he fakes his way into becoming a detective. solves a bunch of crimes. ROFL.  causes mayhem, dave chappelle is how do you say, sub contr-actor or co-star?

you guys gotta see this one.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 03:01:22 AM by Perforated Opinions »

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9813 on: June 03, 2023, 03:09:54 AM »

this classic 1999 movie. a diamond thief gets caught and goes to jail but leaves a million dollar diamond at a construction site. he gets out of jail and the construction site is now an LAPD center so he fakes his way into becoming a detective. solves a bunch of crimes. ROFL.  causes mayhem, dave chappelle is how do you say, sub contr-actor or co-star?

When Martin Lawrence has a good vehicle, he's on fire. Thought he was great in "Bad Boys" and "A Thin Line Between Love And Hate."

I realized recently that I had gotten out of the habit of frequenting the cinema, which is one of my main passions. So, over the past month, I've seen the following movies on the big screen:

"Irreversible," "La Haine," "Kapo," "The Hospital," "Sorcerer," "Blue Velvet" and "River's Edge." All fantastic films (save "River's Edge," which I found just okay).

A local theater is having an Abel Ferrara retrospective this month, with the director participating in Q&As. Considering "Bad Lieutenant" is my favorite film of all time -- just an absolutely incredible film -- I will be attending as many screenings as I can, and looking very forward to it!
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9814 on: June 03, 2023, 06:26:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which book?

About fifteen years ago I cold emailed Grann and asked to interview him for a website I was doing and he was down. Talked to him for like an hour and he gave me a lot of advice and was the nicest guy. Have nothing but respect for him, and there's a reason he's one of the most respected longform nonfiction authors in the game and a ton of his articles have been turned into films.

Sorry being too conversational and less clear.   I was reading a book by a different author (The Taking of K-129 by Josh Dean).   It’s about trying to recover a sunken Russian  nuclear sub without the Russians noticing. 

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9815 on: June 04, 2023, 02:50:17 PM »
Had a good laugh seeing Boogeyman.  Some truly absurd scenarios in that one.  Woof was it bad.

You Hurt My Feelings and Spiderverse 2 in IMAX lined up for this week, have higher hopes for these two…

Someone brought up Sisu before - I really enjoyed that one.  Definitely a fun little 90-minute romp.

ToshiroTownune

« Reply #9816 on: June 05, 2023, 09:20:55 AM »
Sorry being too conversational and less clear.   I was reading a book by a different author (The Taking of K-129 by Josh Dean).   It’s about trying to recover a sunken Russian  nuclear sub without the Russians noticing.

btw, do you work in the industry? Some of your descriptions of things does not sound like a layperson.

And to keep this on topic, I saw The Friends of Eddie Coyle last night at a theatre and it was fantastic. Read the book a long time ago and love the film, but a whole new experience on a big screen. In Tarantino’s Cinema Speculation book he says it’s “overrated,” but I’d argue it’s underrated.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -63
« Reply #9817 on: June 05, 2023, 09:33:28 AM »
I liked the Dungeons & Dragons movie.
Kinda felt like medieval Guardians of the Galaxy.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9818 on: June 05, 2023, 12:29:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When Martin Lawrence has a good vehicle, he's on fire. Thought he was great in "Bad Boys" and "A Thin Line Between Love And Hate."

I realized recently that I had gotten out of the habit of frequenting the cinema, which is one of my main passions. So, over the past month, I've seen the following movies on the big screen:

"Irreversible," "La Haine," "Kapo," "The Hospital," "Sorcerer," "Blue Velvet" and "River's Edge." All fantastic films (save "River's Edge," which I found just okay).

A local theater is having an Abel Ferrara retrospective this month, with the director participating in Q&As. Considering "Bad Lieutenant" is my favorite film of all time -- just an absolutely incredible film -- I will be attending as many screenings as I can, and looking very forward to it!
Blue Streak is definitely his best movie outside of Bad Boys II, which is more of a two piece anyway. Believe Dat has been in my bag of phrases since I saw that in the theaters. Psyched to see it get some love.

I love Able Ferrara's Body Snatchers.

Maybe I need to rewatch River's Edge but I thought it was great the last time I saw it. There isn't a better representation of 80s hesh caught on cinema (outside of HMPL) as far as I know.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9819 on: June 05, 2023, 04:14:43 PM »
If you haven’t seen River’s Edge, watch it for Crispin Glover’s performance

https://youtu.be/TF9NQ-VlS9c

“Warm even” is a go-to quote

ToshiroTownune

« Reply #9820 on: June 05, 2023, 05:26:51 PM »
If you haven’t seen River’s Edge, watch it for Crispin Glover’s performance

https://youtu.be/TF9NQ-VlS9c

“Warm even” is a go-to quote

This film has so many good lines. Keanu is a real highlight, and I still laugh at the thought of him using "food eater!" as an insult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gncRuwFbuo

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #9821 on: June 05, 2023, 06:03:31 PM »
That killing river’s edge was based off of happened in my town. I ride my bike up there a lot.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9822 on: June 05, 2023, 08:45:22 PM »
“Living” is on Netflix now.   Biggest sleeper of the past year (even though it got a few Oscar noms)

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #9823 on: June 07, 2023, 04:44:53 PM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uKB7V86grMg&pp=ygUddGhlIGxpbWl0cyBvZiBjb250cm9sIHRyYWlsZXI%3D

the limits of control

nothing too amazing, just a mellow time waster with a decent backdrop and droney soundtrack. a dash of mystery, boobs, strongly defined cheekbones, tilda swinton. bill murray.
the little philosophical rants reminded me of that linklater film waking life
watching this sets up the mood for his next flick, only lovers left alive- which was killer if you havent peeped

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9824 on: June 07, 2023, 07:38:58 PM »
Spiderverse 2 was amazing even with a guy passing out behind me and pissing himself hard enough that I could hear it trickling on the ground

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9825 on: June 07, 2023, 08:33:34 PM »
Spiderverse 2 was amazing even with a guy passing out behind me and pissing himself hard enough that I could hear it trickling on the ground

Sounds premium to me… smell-o-vision  ;)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9826 on: June 07, 2023, 09:28:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds premium to me… smell-o-vision  ;)

It didn’t smell which is why I thought initially it was water or something.    Fuckin riff raff at the Universal city walk

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #9827 on: June 07, 2023, 09:47:29 PM »
Was it here that someone recommended Burden of Dreams? Nonetheless it's the documentary of making Fitzcarraldo, the story of moving a boat opera house over a mountain through the amazon jungle. And this documentary is even wilder than the Herzog movie itself

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9828 on: June 07, 2023, 10:18:04 PM »
Was it here that someone recommended Burden of Dreams? Nonetheless it's the documentary of making Fitzcarraldo, the story of moving a boat opera house over a mountain through the amazon jungle. And this documentary is even wilder than the Herzog movie itself

I recommend Documentary Now S4 which does a take off of Burden of Dreams about a Werner Herzog type who attempts to shoot a CBS sitcom pilot in wilderlands of eastern Russia

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #9829 on: June 08, 2023, 07:43:29 AM »
I made my gf watch Mandy and anyway that’s gotta be the best way to end a relationship

jamersonbass

« Reply #9830 on: June 08, 2023, 08:14:16 AM »
I made my gf watch Mandy and anyway that’s gotta be the best way to end a relationship

Would gnar if I could.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9831 on: June 08, 2023, 08:14:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I recommend Documentary Now S4 which does a take off of Burden of Dreams about a Werner Herzog type who attempts to shoot a CBS sitcom pilot in wilderlands of eastern Russia

Hell yea had no idea they put out season 4 can't wait to watch this

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9832 on: June 08, 2023, 04:05:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hell yea had no idea they put out season 4 can't wait to watch this

Forgot to add that it’s all on Netflix US now

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9833 on: June 08, 2023, 06:15:08 PM »
Dug Spiderverse 2 a lot with one big gripe.  I’ll wait a little till people have a chance to see it though…

Anyone else think Lord and Miller’s production company slide in the opening credits looked a bunch like Lance Mountain’s LM Family crest?

You Hurt My Feelings was a massive disappointment.  I sorta hated all the characters.

Still haven’t skated my 1010’s and maybe never will because I love them too much to see them ruined, but the board feel on the back of another chair in the cinema is sort of phenomenal.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9834 on: June 08, 2023, 07:11:39 PM »
Dug Spiderverse 2 a lot with one big gripe.  I’ll wait a little till people have a chance to see it though…

Anyone else think Lord and Miller’s production company slide in the opening credits looked a bunch like Lance Mountain’s LM Family crest?

You Hurt My Feelings was a massive disappointment.  I sorta hated all the characters.

Still haven’t skated my 1010’s and maybe never will because I love them too much to see them ruined, but the board feel on the back of another chair in the cinema is sort of phenomenal.

Hah I think all crests end up looking like that.   They’ve added their faces to it recently which was really creepy in the glitch for them to appear like that for a frame.   

I think they made a conscious effort in this one to establish his Dads name as Morales.   His mom is borriqua and his uncle is Davis, so I assumed Davis was the patriarchal surname, but that would make Miles be Miles Davis and his dad Jefferson Davis

You hurt My feelings - there are concepts of neediness in a creative field I appreciated in it, but it never really gelled as a movie.   

Blackberry - never saw it in theaters, but I bought some seats in A-List to support it.   Rented it and really enjoyed it, thought I’d almost like an accompanying doc to get the fuller story.  Only thing I didn’t buy was Glenn Howerton’s character always rocking out to good tunes in his car

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #9835 on: June 09, 2023, 06:48:45 AM »

I think everyone has the same gripe with spiderverse, and it's the only thing keeping it from being a perfect film. Cause oh buddy is that a good as fucking film. It's a fucking ride. That action the chases, the music. It's a real emotional ride. I already loved the original, probably my favorite movie. This one takes everything learned in the in the first one and improves it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9836 on: June 09, 2023, 06:52:45 AM »
I don’t know if I want to know the gripe or not and stay happy with the movie…

doublesteveburger

« Reply #9837 on: June 09, 2023, 08:48:43 AM »
randomly watched 'birdman' the other day and I didn't hate it... but it may be because i love michael keaton? i can't really see any other actor playing that role

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9838 on: June 09, 2023, 09:27:54 AM »
The Doom Generation was an entertaining watch

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9839 on: June 09, 2023, 09:37:44 AM »
The Doom Generation was an entertaining watch

I love Araki’s soundtracks.   I’ve liked what I’ve seen, but haven’t ever gone earlier than Mysterious Skin.