Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937898 times)

Garth Marenghi

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #7500 on: September 25, 2017, 06:15:31 AM »
A prerequisite of being well versed in the book of Genesis, AND a ham-fisted allegory? Sounds so enticing!

Silky Johnson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #7501 on: October 31, 2017, 08:17:16 PM »
Baby Driver

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #7502 on: October 31, 2017, 09:20:13 PM »
The Snowman was so disappointing.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #7503 on: November 01, 2017, 08:36:03 AM »

Yo, for real... I was so hyped for this movie too. Huge fan of all the Harry Hole books. Huge fan of Fassbender. But this movie was such a piece of shit.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

bawtawd3

« Reply #7504 on: November 01, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »
Arright, I admit, Ive been going down the anime hole. BUT, I think this is one of the best movies Ive seen.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7505 on: November 01, 2017, 01:17:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yo, for real... I was so hyped for this movie too. Huge fan of all the Harry Hole books. Huge fan of Fassbender. But this movie was such a piece of shit.

Yeah I read some interviews with the director Tomas Alfredson and apparently they pretty much screwed up their production and started running out of time.  He said they had to cut chunks out of the script from the book which is what led to the movie feeling all over the place/just thrown together.  Shame too because it has a great premise and they had a cast of great actors on board.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7506 on: November 01, 2017, 02:22:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I read some interviews with the director Tomas Alfredson and apparently they pretty much screwed up their production and started running out of time.  He said they had to cut chunks out of the script from the book which is what led to the movie feeling all over the place/just thrown together.  Shame too because it has a great premise and they had a cast of great actors on board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snowman_(2017_film)

In response to the negative critical reviews, Alfredson blamed the short filming schedule in which 10–15% of the screenplay was not shot during principal photography. This led to huge narrative problems when editing commenced:

"Our shoot time in Norway was way too short, we didn't get the whole story with us and when we started cutting we discovered that a lot was missing. It's like when you're making a big jigsaw puzzle and a few pieces are missing so you don't see the whole picture."

Alfredson also revealed he had a lack of time to prep the film properly:

"It happened very abruptly, suddenly we got notice that we had the money and could start the shoot in London."

What a shame. Let The Right One In and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy were both really good.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7507 on: November 01, 2017, 04:04:17 PM »
Hopefully he bounces back with whatever his next project is

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #7508 on: November 02, 2017, 04:16:42 AM »
There were so many WTF moments in that film. It reminded me of Season 2 of True Detective - just an absolute clusterfuck of useless plotlines. Shout out to Val Kilmer and his shaolin kung fu movie overdub though.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #7509 on: November 02, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »

Had been ten years since I last saw it on the big screen.

Have to admit Taika Waititi's Thor sounds intriguing.

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7510 on: November 02, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »
Got around to watching Blade Runner 2049 last night, it was pretty cool.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7511 on: November 03, 2017, 07:58:48 AM »
Have to admit Taika Waititi's Thor sounds intriguing.

Search for the Wilder People was so good... (Boy too)

love that the line from Thor "I Know him, he's a friend from work" was written by a Make-A-Wish kid who was on set that day.

Got around to watching Blade Runner 2049 last night, it was pretty cool.

yea, huge fan of the OG and the new one was everything I wanted it to be.  saw it a couple weeks ago, and i made a real effort not to read anything or watch any trailers.  first time in a while I saw successful in going into a movie not knowing anything... and it made it better. 
hardly art, hardly starving

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #7512 on: November 03, 2017, 08:07:52 AM »

This movie handled all of it's emotional cornerstones well. Seeing Dafoe in this type of role was a joy.
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #7513 on: November 03, 2017, 04:27:26 PM »
I'm going to see "The Florida Project" sometime next week. Really looking forward to it.

I watched "Chinatown" this afternoon, for probably the dozenth time.

Going to a midnight showing of "Fantastic Planet" with some friends in a few hours. It'll be my second time seeing it in a theatre.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #7514 on: November 03, 2017, 05:11:35 PM »
Watched Beetlejuice on halloween with the old lady.  Haven't seen that movie in fucking forever it was like watching it for the first time all over again.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7515 on: November 03, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
Watched Beetlejuice on halloween with the old lady.  Haven't seen that movie in fucking forever it was like watching it for the first time all over again.

That's legitimately one of my favorite movies.

Even though I think Tim Burton's pretty lame now, his earlier movies ("Beetlejuice", those two "Batman" ones he did, "Nightmare Before Christmas", and even "Edward Scissorhands") were a huge part of my childhood, and I still love to watch them.

Even stuff like "Sleepy Hollow" and "Corpse Bride", I can still watch and enjoy.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #7516 on: November 11, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »
I just watched Get Out with my girl because she thought it was a comedy and I always wanted to see it, so I just didn't tell her it was a horror film.

Anyway I thought it was awesome. It's like oh I know whats going on, this is pretty fucked up. Then BOOM they hit you with nah this is what actually is going on and its even more fucked up than you could ever imagined

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #7517 on: November 11, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Even though I think Tim Burton's pretty lame now, his earlier movies ("Beetlejuice", those two "Batman" ones he did, "Nightmare Before Christmas", and even "Edward Scissorhands") were a huge part of my childhood, and I still love to watch them.

Even stuff like "Sleepy Hollow" and "Corpse Bride", I can still watch and enjoy.

Love Beetlejuice as well and find it odd when people don’t. Anyhow, the production designer/art director for Beetlejuice and the other films you mentioned, sans nightmare before Christmas, is working on the show I’m currently working on and it’s an absolute treat to see and work on the sets he designs everyday. Always out doing himself. Oh and his wife is Catherine O’Hara and I mean come on that’s just dope.

Mr. Fink

« Reply #7518 on: November 11, 2017, 08:53:34 PM »
I watched A Ghost Story the other day and I really enjoyed it. I also watched Inherent Vice and there were several laugh out loud moments.

Useless Wooden Bench

• Rep: 159
    • Pappy avatar image
« Reply #7519 on: November 15, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »
Four Lions was excellent

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #7520 on: November 16, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »

Three Billboards, a healthy combination of pacing, style & setting, character development, dialogue, and action. It was tough to choose a moment to take a leak, and I still missed an important interaction. :[
Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7521 on: November 18, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »

Really enjoyed this movie, I knew nothing about it going into the theater. My girlfriend wanted to see it. Filmed and based in Sacramento where I live, it is quirky, funny, sad, depressing and all around a masterpiece IMO.

ImportantGuy

« Reply #7522 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:29 PM »
I just watched ''Arrival''. It reminded me of ''Interstellar'' because it was absolutely corny while still forcing you to think about Big Ideas.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7523 on: November 19, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Love Beetlejuice as well and find it odd when people don’t. Anyhow, the production designer/art director for Beetlejuice and the other films you mentioned, sans nightmare before Christmas, is working on the show I’m currently working on and it’s an absolute treat to see and work on the sets he designs everyday. Always out doing himself. Oh and his wife is Catherine O’Hara and I mean come on that’s just dope.

Damn, that's super cool.

I saw "Killing of a Sacred Deer" a few nights ago. I liked it alright, and it had some cool and interesting stuff in it, but I was kind of let down, because I liked "The Lobster" (the previous movie from the director and co-writer) so much more.

Re-watched "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" this morning. I really like that movie.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7524 on: December 08, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »
american me
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #7525 on: December 08, 2017, 07:00:50 PM »
I watched Beware Of A Holy Whore the other night, great film and an amazing depiction of a complete collective mental breakdown. Pretty funny too.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #7526 on: December 08, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
american me
"Don't look at me little puppet!"

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #7527 on: December 08, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »
Expand Quote
american me
[close]
Your's so cool...Ima call you Culo
American me,now that's a fucking good movie!!

Last good movie that I watched,was Trainspotting 2

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #7528 on: December 09, 2017, 07:18:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
american me
[close]
[close]
Your's so cool...Ima call you Culo
American me,now that's a fucking good movie!!

Last good movie that I watched,was Trainspotting 2

In that same vein, I recently watched the movie Shot Caller.  Pretty raw prison movie that stars Jamie Lannister and Shane from Walking Dead.  It's basically the same premise as the underrated movie Felon. 

Though I don't really buy the "good guy/family man goes to prison and becomes the hardest dude on the yard" premise, really great acting all around and Jamie does a great job.. and the tattoos don't look too fake.

childhood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7529 on: December 09, 2017, 03:51:06 PM »
I'm halfway through my second watch of Gone Girl, and I'm still not sure if I like it or not.

I usually love this type of David Fincher movie, and it's pretty entertaining, but I just feel like there's so much dumb stuff in it.