Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925646 times)

TW3rd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8550 on: December 21, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
I watched The Gentlemen the other day back-to-back and it was even better the second time. Once I heard this song, I knew I was in for a treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4c4yQXk6Ug
Then I watched Battlefield Earth...

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8551 on: December 22, 2020, 03:08:51 AM »
I watched The Gentlemen the other day back-to-back and it was even better the second time. Once I heard this song, I knew I was in for a treat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4c4yQXk6Ug
Then I watched Battlefield Earth...

The whole foot chase scene to the El Michaels Affair cover of Shimmy Shimmy is fucking great.
"Just gimme the fuckin' phone cunt!"
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #8552 on: December 22, 2020, 08:54:57 AM »
Lover’s Rock (the 2nd entry in Steve McQueen’s Small Axe movies - all five on Amazon) is good times. 

The series is about being Black (so far typically from the West Indies) in Britain in the 70s and 80s.  So far the movies have dealt with police discrimination, but this was a lovely short movie about people that’s about finding joy and happiness in music.  One of my fav scenes in Blackkklansman was when everyone was singing together in the club and this is like a 75 min version of that.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8553 on: December 22, 2020, 10:30:14 AM »
For the last couple of years I keep returning to a movie called Smoke at this time of year. I don’t watch the entire movie, but I watch the following two scenes.

In the first scene William Hurt (a writer) has been asked to write a Christmas story for the New York Times. He is stuck but Harvey Keitel (a cigar shop owner) offers to tell him a story for a free lunch.

Here is the published story: https://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/25/opinion/auggie-wrens-christmas-story.html

The first scene is the story being delivered by Keitel while the second clip is the story being acted out with Keitel in it 20. years younger. I have yet to make it through the second scene w/o my eyes watering. Hopefully this will put you in the Holiday spirit. SHALOM.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_kCUbw8Ug28

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=61pp51kxvVM
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 05:26:08 PM by GardenSkater77 »

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #8554 on: December 24, 2020, 08:30:04 AM »
Rewatched Tenet yesterday. Still not sure what to think of it overall, but it definitely packed a visceral nonstop what the fuck type punch even on my second round.

Also watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs recently and like it a lot.
Watched it again last night too, I honestly think I need to watch it once more to fully grasp all the little details/nuances. Shit is definitely a mindfuck that I enjoyed more the second time.
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #8555 on: December 27, 2020, 05:27:42 PM »
Santa Slay
Cocteau Twins

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #8556 on: December 27, 2020, 05:51:16 PM »
His House, it's on Netflix. Great horror movie.

ballintoohard

« Reply #8557 on: December 28, 2020, 10:54:01 AM »
Do not watch Wonderwoman 1984, one of the worst movies I've seen in a really long time. And I recently saw East Side Sushi, which is an utter trash pile

Yu Dum

« Reply #8558 on: December 28, 2020, 11:55:44 AM »
Recently bought The Godfather box set. Watched the first one on Christmas Eve and part II Saturday night. Both excellent in their own regard. Part II was an interesting take on the story. I loved the parallels between Vito and Michael's rise to power.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #8559 on: December 28, 2020, 02:25:44 PM »
@Morning Jazz Radio  and @ihatejulio , thank you for putting me on to Kelly Reichardt. I watched most of her movies in chronological order and they were all solid, only 1-2 i havent got my hands on yet.
Night Moves is so intense but maybe the most fleshed out and storylike, certain women is maybe the least sad and easiest watch. Thank you both for the recommendation.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8560 on: December 28, 2020, 03:18:47 PM »
I haven't seen this one in awhile but it's so good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBQHp2__AVQ

The real veganshawn

• What the fuck was that
« Reply #8561 on: December 28, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »
Empire Stikes Back yesterday
Cocteau Twins

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #8562 on: December 28, 2020, 09:24:28 PM »
i watched the new Sofia Coppola film "On the Rocks" and while it isn't Coppola's best, i enjoyed the slow pacing and cinematography as well as Rashida Jones' and Bill Murray's performances. The Mexico scenes were shot especially well.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #8563 on: December 28, 2020, 11:36:04 PM »
@Morning Jazz Radio  and @ihatejulio , thank you for putting me on to Kelly Reichardt. I watched most of her movies in chronological order and they were all solid, only 1-2 i havent got my hands on yet.
Night Moves is so intense but maybe the most fleshed out and storylike, certain women is maybe the least sad and easiest watch. Thank you both for the recommendation.

@botefdunn

Hey, super glad and happy you checked out her stuff! It honestly feels really great and rewarding when you recommend something to someone and they follow up on it and enjoy it.

Night Moves is a fantastic flick, Jesse Eisenberg was a great casting choice for the lead role and played it to perfection. Certain Women is another great flick and introduced me to Lily Gladstone who I am very excited to see in future roles. She absolutely crushed it and her depiction of loneliness and desperation for a connection with others was so resonant and incredibly heart breaking.

Which 1/2 of her movies do you have left? Also would love to hear your thoughts about how Reichardt ends each of her movies - some people hate it and some don’t. Again I’m seriously stoked you checked them out!  :)

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8564 on: December 29, 2020, 09:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@botefdunn

Hey, super glad and happy you checked out her stuff! It honestly feels really great and rewarding when you recommend something to someone and they follow up on it and enjoy it.

Night Moves is a fantastic flick, Jesse Eisenberg was a great casting choice for the lead role and played it to perfection. Certain Women is another great flick and introduced me to Lily Gladstone who I am very excited to see in future roles. She absolutely crushed it and her depiction of loneliness and desperation for a connection with others was so resonant and incredibly heart breaking.

Which 1/2 of her movies do you have left? Also would love to hear your thoughts about how Reichardt ends each of her movies - some people hate it and some don’t. Again I’m seriously stoked you checked them out!  :)

I'm missing the bookends, River of Grass and The Cow. I don't stream movies so I have to find copies, which gives something to look forward to.
I haven't read any critiques of her work though I did watch the criterion edition of Old Joy which had great bonus materials, interviews etc. Makes sense that her endings would be a big topic, in a word I think they are perfect in their ambition. There's a tendency to try to make a hard left at the end of a story which she avoids totally, which no doubt frustrates many viewers conditioned expectations. To me the standout feature of her movies (especially oregon trilogy) is the existential mood of the worlds she creates: anything and nothing seem as likely to happen and usually do. My fav ending is by probably Old Joy, because the viewer's feelings go back and forth between the two characters, almost like you have to pick who is more righteous, and the Will Oldham character kind of seems like a bit of a fool at moments, so its nice that it ends on a humanizing moment wherein you see him as asympathetic, complete person albeit alone.
Wendy and Lucy has the least story but was so familiar to me, which is always high praise, when art imitates life so successfully. I spent a lot of time in that traveler world and am still in it to some extent, it's hard to depict and as a result seldom represented in film or art and I think it's fascinating to wwitness the secret worlds that intersect beneath cultural surfaces. Ending was a total non-ending which is what that world is about I think, the rejection of standard definitions and imposed social meaninng: no outside morality comes to interfere with a story that remains till the very end, about the relationship between a person and a dog.
Meek's Cutoff is a wondeful period piece, I mostly enjoyed it for the illusion of pre technological landscapes. It has a more actively political or moralizing tone which is less interesting to me and which I'm not sure was completely balanced against the background of a story about pride and perseverance. Still, I would call it a very good movie. Maybe the weakest ending, in so far as it ended with dialogue which is always harder to remember and less widely evocative imo.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8565 on: January 01, 2021, 09:48:55 PM »
I've been on a long aussie kick, but this is truly a gem.

theSketchLord

• https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8566 on: January 02, 2021, 05:26:59 AM »
Got about midway through that Tom Hardy "Capone" movie, fuck me it's a boring slog.
I gave up and watched Malcolm in the Middle instead, may go back to it later.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #8567 on: January 02, 2021, 02:00:33 PM »
I watched The Man From U.N.C.L.E. with my gf and her sister on New Years and we had a blast. Guy Ritchie isn't for everyone, but i really like his shtick

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #8568 on: January 02, 2021, 02:09:06 PM »
Got about midway through that Tom Hardy "Capone" movie, fuck me it's a boring slog.
I gave up and watched Malcolm in the Middle instead, may go back to it later.

Always a great choice

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #8569 on: January 02, 2021, 06:43:10 PM »

. I love this movie but the scene with the cat really fucked me up.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8570 on: January 02, 2021, 07:30:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
. I love this movie but the scene with the cat really fucked me up.

Incredible movie

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #8571 on: January 02, 2021, 08:05:58 PM »
I watched The Lodge and it was fucking brutal. Super uncomfortable to watch, which I was so distracted by that i don't ven know if it was well written or not.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #8572 on: January 04, 2021, 02:48:15 PM »
First time seeing the newer Bond films, watched Skyfall last night then Fight Club. Tv programming on point. Javier Bardem becoming one of my favorite actors.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8573 on: January 04, 2021, 03:28:21 PM »
I watched The Lodge and it was fucking brutal. Super uncomfortable to watch, which I was so distracted by that i don't ven know if it was well written or not.

I liked it.  There were a few plot holes, but visually very disturbing.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #8574 on: January 04, 2021, 06:57:10 PM »

i saw it at a horror film fest a couple years ago.  it was a really nice surprise. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #8575 on: January 05, 2021, 03:24:38 AM »
Honestly, I thought The Lodge was too cruel and bleak to find enjoyable or believable, and I LOVE depressing depraved shit. I was also completely alone in my theater and already having an isolating and shitty day. So fuck this movie.

Not a movie, but I’m watching Mr Robot right now and it is pretty fucking rad. I hear season 4 goes off the rails, pretty excited to start there tomorrow.

theSketchLord

« Reply #8576 on: January 09, 2021, 10:33:11 AM »
Watched The King of Staten Island.
Decent enough, much liker all off Apatow's drama comedies you could easily lose 20 to 30 minutes.

Rohn_mob_joore

• Rep: -24
« Reply #8577 on: January 09, 2021, 11:10:06 AM »
The girl with the dragon tattoo. Idk why I never watched it. Probably because I didn’t know it was directed by David Fincher.

The real veganshawn

• What the fuck was that
« Reply #8578 on: January 09, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »
Watched Get Out again last night,honestly better the 2nd time around.
Cocteau Twins

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8579 on: January 09, 2021, 03:17:45 PM »
The girl with the dragon tattoo. Idk why I never watched it. Probably because I didn’t know it was directed by David Fincher.

Watch the Swedish language version. Noomi is a way better Lisbeth and sexier.