Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925480 times)

Garth Marenghi

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8580 on: January 09, 2021, 11:04:55 PM »
Bait (2019)

Respect the fact that the director also filmed and edited the movie. Trailer comes off as pretentious but to my surprise it really wasn't.

chillclinton87

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #8581 on: January 10, 2021, 04:23:47 AM »
Expand Quote
The girl with the dragon tattoo. Idk why I never watched it. Probably because I didn’t know it was directed by David Fincher.
[close]

Watch the Swedish language version. Noomi is a way better Lisbeth and sexier.

Yeah, definetly do that- The whole trilogy is really good!!!

should be able to find it for download in english- if i remember correctly the swedish actors spoke the english version themself

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #8582 on: January 11, 2021, 09:57:57 PM »
My Cousin Vinny

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #8583 on: January 12, 2021, 04:20:49 AM »
Bait (2019)

Respect the fact that the director also filmed and edited the movie. Trailer comes off as pretentious but to my surprise it really wasn't.

It's uncanny how much this looks like someone I know,  I believe they are in jail at the moment but hey,

I watch probably at least 5+ movies a week these days and I still can't think of anything worth adding, except the above..

Fr33 p0st1nG

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8584 on: January 12, 2021, 07:52:33 AM »
My Cousin Vinny

Feel good movie... marisa tomei won best supporting actress, but legend goes when Jack Palance was presenting the award he read the wrong name or something. Or had the wrong envelope.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #8585 on: January 12, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
I rewatched Madmax Fury Road again this past weekend, still holds up well. Would be a top 10 for me if it had more titties—not every movie needs titties but this movie is so over the top that it would’ve been fitting.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #8586 on: January 12, 2021, 10:21:14 PM »
WhitemanJazz,

Both Marisa Tomei & Joe Pesci have amazing fits during the entire film.  Wasn't expecting much when I read description before watching. Shattered my expectations, very enjoyable.

And Lenny, Fury Road ridiculous and entertaining. You're right... needs more tatas

Chevy Beretta

« Reply #8587 on: January 13, 2021, 06:22:12 AM »
Watched The King of Staten Island.
Decent enough, much liker all off Apatow's drama comedies you could easily lose 20 to 30 minutes.
I loved it. It hit all the feels, maybe a little too close to home, but it was great. I wish I could redo my 20s.

On HBOMAX, last couple of nights I did the CC Sabbathia doc and the DB Cooper doc. Both were enjoyable. I grew up near CC, but he was a couple of years older, and it was cool to hear that he's still so connected to home.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #8588 on: January 15, 2021, 04:59:43 PM »
Some Kind of Heaven was damn good, you can rent it on Amazon video or elsewhere right now
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8589 on: January 16, 2021, 07:21:32 AM »
I've been eagerly awaiting Promising Young Woman's streaming release, and gladly forked out $20 to rent on Amazon Prime.

So fucking good!  Well worth the money.  Best movie I've seen in a while.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #8590 on: January 16, 2021, 12:39:41 PM »

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8591 on: January 18, 2021, 06:45:52 AM »
Watched Moonlight today.
Yea the acting was good and it looked decent but I just found myself bored half the time.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #8592 on: January 18, 2021, 07:27:13 AM »
“Hunted” on Shudder was really good
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #8593 on: February 27, 2021, 06:03:36 PM »
Just watched a movie called Weirdos on Prime.  Kind of artsy black and white flick about two kids in northern Nova Scotia, finding themselves and whatnot, and Andy Warhol is one of their spirit animals.  Super solid old time folk soundtrack.  I know I’m terrible at selling movies but I really enjoyed it and I have great difficulty getting through movies most of the time.

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #8594 on: February 27, 2021, 06:35:16 PM »
     Nomadland was so good. It’s on Hulu

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8595 on: February 27, 2021, 10:03:37 PM »
     Nomadland was so good. It’s on Hulu

ya we watched Nomadland last night. I was trying to find reasons to critique, mostly because I have friends who live in RVs and vans because they're poor or have no other options, not because it's hip but the film showed a solid perspective as far as I saw. it was an all around good movie. The traveler kids I quartzite were spot on too, trying to sell rocks for gas. I see em where I live anytime I go into town.

"I care a lot", on the other hand, was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long, long while. It is a movie that makes you feel bad or hopeless about yourself, at least for me.

Watched the Shape of Water last weekend and really enjoyed it. Beautiful cinematography, fun/soft story line, and some definite tension.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8596 on: February 28, 2021, 02:31:26 AM »
Judas and the Black Messiah.

RickKane

• Rep: -10
  • SLAP Legend
« Reply #8597 on: February 28, 2021, 02:38:55 AM »
Just watched a movie called Weirdos on Prime.  Kind of artsy black and white flick about two kids in northern Nova Scotia, finding themselves and whatnot, and Andy Warhol is one of their spirit animals.  Super solid old time folk soundtrack.  I know I’m terrible at selling movies but I really enjoyed it and I have great difficulty getting through movies most of the time.

Yeah that sounds awful. Don't quit yer day job.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #8598 on: March 04, 2021, 03:27:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah that sounds awful. Don't quit yer day job.

Haha! funny enough this sounds pretty interesting to me, guess it just needs the right audience. That said I've been trying to write little reviews of the movies I watch and it really isn't that easy.

*oh shit, just looked it up and it's a Bruce Mcdonald movie, he did Hardcore Logo for anybody that's seen that one, or if you haven't it's pretty good.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #8599 on: March 05, 2021, 10:04:50 AM »
Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar is funny and goes strange places.   I love comedies that get weird.   

Minari and Nomadland are really good movies (almost like docs) that I never need to see a second time. 

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8600 on: March 09, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »

"...bet you gonna bomb John Wayne's house, ain't you...jesus palomino, a Nazi! i knew it, you're all in cahoots..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7O-SUEh-54

i'd love to see all of the nominal, privileged, hypocritical, gentrifying "leftists" in our foul day and age try to fit this film in their craw....fuck you son.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8601 on: March 09, 2021, 07:06:29 PM »

"...bet you gonna bomb John Wayne's house, ain't you...jesus palomino, a Nazi! i knew it, you're all in cahoots..."

i'd love to see all of the nominal, privileged, hypocritical, gentrifying "leftists" in our foul day and age try to fit this film in their craw....fuck you son.
You sure talk tough for someone who’s absolutely terrified of their black neighbors.

Snowpiercer.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8602 on: March 10, 2021, 07:13:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You sure talk tough for someone who’s absolutely terrified of their black neighbors.

Snowpiercer.

the only human being that i am "absolutely terrified of," is you tough guy...kisses to you love

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #8603 on: March 11, 2021, 03:23:02 PM »
Just powered through the movie Il Capo Dei Capi...  it was a 6 episode (hour and half each), made for TV movie in Italy that tells the story of Salvatore Toto Reina, who was the main boss of the Sicilian Mafia in the 80's and 90's.  It was phenomenal, the acting was great and I was so happy to be able to find it on Youtube.

If you don't know the story, I highly suggest looking at Toto Reina's wikipedia page... it's far more gnarly than any polished American mob story you will ever hear.  The mafia wars at that time killed over 1000 people in a 2 year span, including bombings, mass killings of judges, cops, families, kids, etc...  A horrible time to be alive in that part of the Siciliy. 

It climaxes with the murder of Judge Giovanni Falcone, probably the craziest mob hit you will ever read about (a skateboard involved!).  An insane story all around, and this movie definitely didn't need to embellish anything.  Quite possibly the best and most realistic mafia movie I've ever seen.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #8604 on: March 12, 2021, 04:43:09 PM »
Watched Beat the Devil on prime a week ago. One of the first films with a cult following, originally written by Claud Cockburn, with rewrites by Truman Capote since Claud was on the blacklist on account of his fervent communism. Directed by John huston and starring Humphrey Bogart, it's got some really ahead of its time humor and i was dying laughing. This film and Dr Strangelove are so fascinating considering how current the comedy is and the fact that they're the only films being honest about the absolute fuckedness of the fifties and post WWII landscape

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #8605 on: March 13, 2021, 03:50:54 PM »
I just watched „I care a lot“. It was pretty great. It‘s a gangster thriller, with an unusual premise.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bebrJ9WCT8Y&feature=share

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8606 on: March 18, 2021, 12:56:13 PM »
This week a Brooklyn, NY film society called Light Industry is Vimeo hosting the Jem Cohen project Lost Book Found.
Cohen is a NYC art filmmaker and this work chronicles New York City moments filmed on 16mm with an autobiographical narration.
I'm not sure bit I think that famous floating plastic bag scene in American Beauty is a reenactment of a scene from one of Cohen's films if. that gives you an idea about his oeuvre.

http://vimeo.com/505265069

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #8607 on: March 20, 2021, 07:11:29 PM »
Anyone enjoys behind-the-scenes stuff should check this channel on Youtube. Examples of absolute gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNlXbDYNcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uN_CUc7CIU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6S8ObwtgfQ

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8608 on: April 03, 2021, 03:00:30 PM »
Life--one of my all time favorites...here's the outtakes, rest in peace Bernie Mac amongst others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgpBIWgpmvE

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #8609 on: April 03, 2021, 04:58:17 PM »
Not breaking any news here but Gladiator. Missed it in theaters so my dad sprung for a DVD player so we could watch it because a friend told him VHS would do no justice.

Every time something new strikes me. Watched Hellraisers doc not long ago and holy ever loving Christ does Oliver Reed ever stir the spirit. Favorite score too