Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925255 times)

jamersonbass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8700 on: September 16, 2021, 09:09:00 AM »
Malignant on HBO Max is ridiculous in the best way possible

I thought it was a fun little romp too. Loved the post opening credits sequence with the rad cinematography.  It took some silly turns, but shit, it's horror.  Why not have some fun with it?

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #8701 on: September 17, 2021, 09:39:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I thought it was a fun little romp too. Loved the post opening credits sequence with the rad cinematography.  It took some silly turns, but shit, it's horror.  Why not have some fun with it?
dont want to spoil anything but i love the cronenbergian twist
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #8702 on: September 18, 2021, 12:02:06 AM »
Highly recommend this one.
https://youtu.be/zMFZOu8rDUQ

Also, recently re-watched Heavy Metal after many years.
https://youtu.be/B_MzWF8YLhY
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 12:09:39 AM by Morning Jazz Radio »

jamersonbass

« Reply #8703 on: September 18, 2021, 08:25:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes!  Also love what they did with the practical fx during that sequence.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #8704 on: September 18, 2021, 06:22:49 PM »
heavy metal is a good flick. check out fantastic planet

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #8705 on: September 19, 2021, 11:50:03 AM »
Yeah Fantastic Planet is awesome, I got to see it in a theater twice

The Card Counter was pretty good
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvVT1cDiNc
Not like a top tier Paul Schrader movie, but still worth watching if you like his stuff

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #8706 on: September 19, 2021, 12:09:10 PM »
Watched Butt Boy the other night with some friends. For a small budget movie about a man who murders people with his asshole, it was surprisingly good.

Finally got around to watching The Two Popes. The Argentina Jesuits scenes were great. Other than that, it was kinda bland and felt like catholic propaganda with the two oldheads getting all chummy by the end. Pope-apaganda? Find it hard to believe Meirelles also directed City of God.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8707 on: September 21, 2021, 10:31:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yes!  Also love what they did with the practical fx during that sequence.
Malignant was so fucking crazy lol. Not what I was expecting.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #8708 on: September 21, 2021, 11:55:08 PM »
quasi david lynch weirdness to this random dvd i scrounged. solid movie, maybe my fav angelina role along with gia.  a nice mellow watch that doesn't feel like a waste of time.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #8709 on: September 22, 2021, 06:56:30 AM »
Anybody seen The Sisters Brothers with John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix? Seen the cover to this western on Netflix for a while, finally watched it and really liked it. Great western and funny too. Reminds me of Red Dead Redemption.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #8710 on: September 22, 2021, 07:21:59 AM »
Anybody seen The Sisters Brothers with John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix? Seen the cover to this western on Netflix for a while, finally watched it and really liked it. Great western and funny too. Reminds me of Red Dead Redemption.

I loved it. Story went in a direction I didn't expect and just enjoyed everything about it.

Watched The Devils last night.  Definitely regret letting my girl watch that one with me although I definitely enjoyed it. Bizarre af but completely realistic and supposedly true story.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #8711 on: September 23, 2021, 07:53:49 AM »
10 cloverfield lane

backone

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8712 on: September 23, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
10 cloverfield lane

Love that film. Went in knowing nothing about it and it kinda blew my mind. In fact, I can't really remember what happens, time for a re-watch. Does anyone else have a weird thing about re-watching films? Like I feel like I'm wasting time watching a film I've already seen, I realise this is silly

Watched Dead Man (1995) last night. Enjoyed it. Some wtf moments in there 

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #8713 on: September 23, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »
Watched Frailty for like the hundredth time, but the first time in forever, and caught a bunch of stuff I had overlooked previously.  It’s good to rewatch films with a different perspective after some time has passed
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #8714 on: September 24, 2021, 12:29:58 PM »
Expand Quote
10 cloverfield lane
[close]

Love that film. Went in knowing nothing about it and it kinda blew my mind. In fact, I can't really remember what happens, time for a re-watch. Does anyone else have a weird thing about re-watching films? Like I feel like I'm wasting time watching a film I've already seen, I realise this is silly

Watched Dead Man (1995) last night. Enjoyed it. Some wtf moments in there

Dead man is high on my list to see next and I'm 100% with you on rewatching films and I hate myself for it. When I do rewatch a movie i loved the first time, the second time is almost always even better and more enjoyable. I just so rarely bother to when I have about 700 other movies on my watchlist to make a dent in before I die.

Watched the first two movies of the Dirty Harry series, loved them both. Ratings suggest its a mellow decline in quality with every sequel but I'll probably try to finish em all

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #8715 on: September 24, 2021, 12:33:59 PM »
Another Round (Druk)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Round_(film)

The Dead Dont Die

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dead_Don%27t_Die_(2019_film)

I do not enjoy movies normally but loved both of these, especially Another Round.

Lil Ricky

• Rep: -216
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #8716 on: September 24, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #8717 on: September 24, 2021, 07:48:32 PM »
Watched Butt Boy the other night with some friends. For a small budget movie about a man who murders people with his asshole, it was surprisingly good.

Finally got around to watching The Two Popes. The Argentina Jesuits scenes were great. Other than that, it was kinda bland and felt like catholic propaganda with the two oldheads getting all chummy by the end. Pope-apaganda? Find it hard to believe Meirelles also directed City of God.

Two popes is definitely popeaganda, but i thought it was pleasant enough popeaganda and really enjoyed Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Price's performances.

Good luck to all who wish to watch bone tomahawk, that's a million percent a movie I only need to see one time. It was very good, but very brutal. If anyone is into neo westerns, I'd suggest the 2007 3:10 to Yuma remake with Christian Bale, Russell Crowe and Ben Foster. Excellent fucking western.

I just watched Control, the film about Ian Curtis that's all in black and white and i saw 24 Hour Party People not that long ago and it was fascinating seeing all the different people in that Manchester scene and the infamous points in that time period from Ian's perspective. It's tragic because these formative moments that shaped Bernard and Peter were the peak of Ian's life when the rest of them had so much ahead of them. It's heartbreaking that he took his life

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #8718 on: September 24, 2021, 08:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Two popes is definitely popeaganda, but i thought it was pleasant enough popeaganda and really enjoyed Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Price's performances.

Good luck to all who wish to watch bone tomahawk, that's a million percent a movie I only need to see one time. It was very good, but very brutal. If anyone is into neo westerns, I'd suggest the 2007 3:10 to Yuma remake with Christian Bale, Russell Crowe and Ben Foster. Excellent fucking western.

I just watched Control, the film about Ian Curtis that's all in black and white and i saw 24 Hour Party People not that long ago and it was fascinating seeing all the different people in that Manchester scene and the infamous points in that time period from Ian's perspective. It's tragic because these formative moments that shaped Bernard and Peter were the peak of Ian's life when the rest of them had so much ahead of them. It's heartbreaking that he took his life

I've mentioned this before maybe 2 or 3 times in separate threads, but I'm usually not phased by violence in movies. That scene in Bone Tomahawk at the end fucked me up. I don't why, but I couldn't shake that scene from my head. Pretty sure I had a couple bad dreams about it too.

Irvine-Sucks.com

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8719 on: September 24, 2021, 08:10:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've mentioned this before maybe 2 or 3 times in separate threads, but I'm usually not phased by violence in movies. That scene in Bone Tomahawk at the end fucked me up. I don't why, but I couldn't shake that scene from my head. Pretty sure I had a couple bad dreams about it too.

That shit was fucking visceral. I felt like i did when i like saw a cartel execution video online when i was a teen

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #8720 on: September 25, 2021, 07:17:11 PM »
The Fisher King is real good ay

Peter Greenaway doesn’t fuck around
https://youtu.be/zDTMa8q_81o
listen to cosmic psychos

jamersonbass

« Reply #8721 on: September 26, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Speaking of Neo westerns, In A Valley of Violence is SICK!  Love Ti West's work!!!

[close]

[close]

That shit was fucking visceral. I felt like i did when i like saw a cartel execution video online when i was a teen

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #8722 on: September 27, 2021, 12:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I used to train in boxing and ever so often there was a young guy who was a truck driver that would come in and train whenever he was in the area. He and I would spar maybe once a month. He was from some small town just over the border in Mexico from somewhere in Texas. He would show these videos of thief's or criminals getting absolutely wrecked by townspeople. Like one thief had to put his hand on a brick and let them chop it off. The guy doing the chopping didn't cut the whole hand off on the first swing so the guy had to put his hand back on and have the rest of it cut off. That footage made me a little ill, so I never looked an any other clips he'd show other people in the gym. I used to be able to stomach gore but I think having been unfortunate to witness some real life gore I've since become overly sensitive to it.

I watched bone tomahawk and had to fast forward a lot of it. Absolutely jarring some of the scenes in that. It was a good movie though, even on fast forward. I was also not aware of what it was about at all, it was just recommended to me so I watched it without info on it.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8723 on: October 01, 2021, 01:26:46 PM »
Finally saw goodfellas for the first time. My gf and her sister hated it, i was enthralled

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8724 on: October 01, 2021, 11:16:44 PM »
saints of newark. i know there has to be sopranos fans in here, how did you feel about the film? i was scared after seeing so many negative reviews but, i think it is awesome and a complete set up for a sequel. i for one really enjoyed it and wonder others takes?

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #8725 on: October 02, 2021, 12:04:55 PM »
I just watched The Sweet Hereafter for the first time. It's about a lawyer who wants the parents of children who were killed in a bus crash to receive compensation for their loss.

I don't know if anyone else here has seen it. It was unnerving, it ended abruptly, but it was still worth the watch. It's one of the most highly praised Canadian films of all time, won the Cannes Grand Prix in '97.

I don't know, something about it was off to me, felt like a patchwork quilt of scenes - maybe because it's the first Atom Egoyan film I've seen, and he's got his own style - but it was still affecting and memorable. It could be because the characters are so well-crafted and portrayed, and I could fully envision them being in a small town in British Columbia.

The music was excellent as well. Ian Holm gave a great performance.

It’s good to rewatch films with a different perspective after some time has passed

Yes, for sure.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8726 on: October 02, 2021, 02:45:00 PM »
I just watched The Sweet Hereafter for the first time. It's about a lawyer who wants the parents of children who were killed in a bus crash to receive compensation for their loss.

I don't know if anyone else here has seen it. It was unnerving, it ended abruptly, but it was still worth the watch. It's one of the most highly praised Canadian films of all time, won the Cannes Grand Prix in '97.

I don't know, something about it was off to me, felt like a patchwork quilt of scenes - maybe because it's the first Atom Egoyan film I've seen, and he's got his own style - but it was still affecting and memorable. It could be because the characters are so well-crafted and portrayed, and I could fully envision them being in a small town in British Columbia.

Expand Quote
It’s good to rewatch films with a different perspective after some time has passed
[close]

Yes, for sure.

I always get this movie mixed up with Simon Birch which is also about a bus crashing into a lake but additionally features a scene with someone's mom getting domed by a home run and it killing her. What a fucking insane movie

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #8727 on: October 02, 2021, 02:48:51 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, for sure.
[close]

I always get this movie mixed up with Simon Birch which is also about a bus crashing into a lake but additionally features a scene with someone's mom getting domed by a home run and it killing her. What a fucking insane movie

Oh the Jim Carrey movie, one of his first forays into serious acting. Haven’t seen it but remember the previews

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8728 on: October 02, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, for sure.
[close]

[close]

Oh the Jim Carrey movie, one of his first forays into serious acting. Haven’t seen it but remember the previews

I'm pretty sure i haven't seen the whole thing but i remember my mom watching it and the sequence where the mom gets killed by the dinger and the bus crash both became seared into my brain

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #8729 on: October 03, 2021, 11:45:15 PM »
Another Round (Druk)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Round_(film)

The Dead Dont Die

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dead_Don%27t_Die_(2019_film)

I do not enjoy movies normally but loved both of these, especially Another Round.

I just saw another Danish flick called Riders Of Justice, also with Mads Mikkelsen that was pretty damn good.

Wasn't feeling Many Saints, it was pretty average and if it didn't have the Soprano's connection would be totally forgotten.

Also watched Pig, Monos, Rams and CODA that I liked.