Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925220 times)

Hinna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8730 on: October 04, 2021, 02:25:28 AM »
not the last movie i watched but elysium is gnarly

birdplops

• Rep: 25
« Reply #8731 on: October 04, 2021, 02:54:37 PM »
I just saw another Danish flick called Riders Of Justice, also with Mads Mikkelsen that was pretty damn good.

Wasn't feeling Many Saints, it was pretty average and if it didn't have the Soprano's connection would be totally forgotten.

Also watched Pig, Monos, Rams and CODA that I liked.

Riders of Justice was fantastic and totally not what I expected. I watched another Mads Mikkelsen film shortly afterwards call The Hunt that was phenomenal- he's probably my favourite actor.

I watched The Green Knight on the weekend and it blew my little socks off. Properly, properly intriguing.

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #8732 on: October 05, 2021, 05:44:49 AM »
Riders of Justice was great.

Just watched the Woodstock 99 documentary that really took me back to that moment in time before people had cell phones (and the clothes and music!!). Really had no idea how wretched that festival was.

Also rewatched The International with Clive Owen on Prime, but that probably belongs in the streaming/DVD thread. Whatevs, a real gem and worth rewatching.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8733 on: October 07, 2021, 09:29:29 PM »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8734 on: October 08, 2021, 03:37:08 AM »
Danger Diabolik (1968)
It's dumb but fun. It's Italian, dated and low budget but not a movie I laugh at because it's so bad. actually a visual style I'm really into and sort of self aware of what it is but not going for cheap ironic laughs.(probably pre dates that sort of humour).
If you like shows like the 60s batman and ghostbusters or the avengers(the UK series not marvel) it's worth checking out

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #8735 on: October 08, 2021, 04:36:05 AM »
Danger Diabolik (1968)
It's dumb but fun. It's Italian, dated and low budget but not a movie I laugh at because it's so bad. actually a visual style I'm really into and sort of self aware of what it is but not going for cheap ironic laughs.(probably pre dates that sort of humour).
If you like shows like the 60s batman and ghostbusters or the avengers(the UK series not marvel) it's worth checking out

Love this movie… Diabolik was a 60s Italian comic book character.  Campy and awesome, and Marisa Mell is hot as fuck.

http://youtu.be/0w7BewJIpx0

Watched the Ingmar Bergman movie “The Virgin Spring”, which is a pretty heavy movie for 1960.  It’s also the original version of the story of Last House of the Left… not nearly as graphic but just as dark and disturbing.  A young Max Von Sadow who seems to be in 90% of all the movies I watch these days.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #8736 on: October 08, 2021, 06:18:27 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki73OFTMlAo
Man, this looks good and I've never heard of it. I'm going to try and watch it this weekend.  I love gritty docs from that era.

Get hungry on it!

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #8737 on: October 08, 2021, 06:25:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Danger Diabolik (1968)
[close]

Love this movie… Diabolik was a 60s Italian comic book character.  Campy and awesome, and Marisa Mell is hot as fuck.

http://youtu.be/0w7BewJIpx0

Watched the Ingmar Bergman movie “The Virgin Spring”, which is a pretty heavy movie for 1960.  It’s also the original version of the story of Last House of the Left… not nearly as graphic but just as dark and disturbing.  A young Max Von Sadow who seems to be in 90% of all the movies I watch these days.
Bava was a genius. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8738 on: October 08, 2021, 06:50:14 AM »
Re-watched Bone Tomahawk last night, damn I love that movie.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8739 on: October 08, 2021, 08:55:23 PM »
Man, this looks good and I've never heard of it. I'm going to try and watch it this weekend.  I love gritty docs from that era.

Here is the follow-up 30 years later with one of the kids from the documentary. I have never seen these on You Tube before and have only watched in segments in the past.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocb0YGILxfE

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #8740 on: October 08, 2021, 10:51:21 PM »
Just watched the thing and nightmare on elm street for the first time 10/10

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8741 on: October 09, 2021, 03:44:56 AM »

Aw man, The Thing is my alltime favourite movie. I’ve seen it so many times I can’t even count. Glad you enjoyed it.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8742 on: October 09, 2021, 05:21:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here is the follow-up 30 years later with one of the kids from the documentary. I have never seen these on You Tube before and have only watched in segments in the past.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocb0YGILxfE
Hell yeah! Thanks for pointing these out. I was reading on IMDB that one of them became a victim of the Green River killer who was active around this time.

Get hungry on it!

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8743 on: October 09, 2021, 05:24:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aw man, The Thing is my alltime favourite movie. I’ve seen it so many times I can’t even count. Glad you enjoyed it.
Man I wish I could watch those for the first time again, I saw both as a kid and The Thing fucking terrified me.

Get hungry on it!

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8744 on: October 09, 2021, 06:03:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Man I wish I could watch those for the first time again, I saw both as a kid and The Thing fucking terrified me.

Might be my favorite John Carpenter film barely edging out Halloween… the soundtrack, the ambiance, the insane special effects.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #8745 on: October 09, 2021, 07:41:25 AM »
I'd seen a lot of the special effects and scared from the thing because it's so iconic and important in pop culture but i was totally blown away with the pacing, the soundtrack, Kurt Russell in general, Wilford without his mustache making gross faces when he's dissecting the creature. It's flawless. Same thing with nightmare. I'd seen the scene with the girl on the ceiling and Johnny depp getting absorbed by the bed, but the little synth stings when Freddy pops up, it was campy in the best way

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8746 on: October 09, 2021, 08:56:41 AM »
I'd seen a lot of the special effects and scared from the thing because it's so iconic and important in pop culture but i was totally blown away with the pacing, the soundtrack, Kurt Russell in general, Wilford without his mustache making gross faces when he's dissecting the creature. It's flawless. Same thing with nightmare. I'd seen the scene with the girl on the ceiling and Johnny depp getting absorbed by the bed, but the little synth stings when Freddy pops up, it was campy in the best way
Yeah the first Nightmare did it right, the scene that still stands out to me is Nancy's friend leading her down to the school boiler room in her bloody body bag.  And for some reason that scene at the very end when Nancy's mom gets sucked through that tiny door window stuck with me, haha.

Get hungry on it!

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #8747 on: October 09, 2021, 02:31:32 PM »
the peanut butter falcon .

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8748 on: October 09, 2021, 04:11:50 PM »

As I said, I've seen The Thing more times than I can count (at least 10x a year, that's how much I love that movie), the blood test scene still gets me everytime.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #8749 on: October 09, 2021, 05:45:53 PM »
Saw the new Bond. A proper send off to Daniel Craig, pretty solid ass flick. Some of the sequences were really cool, lot of dope gadgetry, cinematography was on point. Rami Malek was wasted though, his character was meh at best, pretty thin.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #8750 on: October 10, 2021, 04:52:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As I said, I've seen The Thing more times than I can count (at least 10x a year, that's how much I love that movie), the blood test scene still gets me everytime.

Watched Bone Tomahawk the other night. The pacing, soundtrack, and cinematography are definitely what makes it. When it's brutal, it's fucking brutal, but it's not horror movie brutal where it's just a gore fest. You guys are making me want to watch Nightmare and The Thing again. It's been so long I can barely remember them. 

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #8751 on: October 11, 2021, 03:12:33 PM »
https://youtu.be/HfLZDbviNwg

I watched this one last nite, i wish someone competant could re-do this movie to be gnarlier. Tangerine Dream does the soundtrack, so it sounds like GTA 5's OST. Can't think of another movie where Heather Locklear gets smoked but goddamn she was not ugly in it.

I also found out these dudes are not the same guy

I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #8752 on: October 11, 2021, 05:21:49 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVDxDXq1VEY

Watched this last night and it's fucking amazing. It's beautifully shot in an unconventional way with some crazy 50's set designs. It was also super unnerving to me in a good way. I didn't know anything about the movie going into it (except for the trailer) and that made it even better. Would highly recommend!

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8753 on: October 12, 2021, 09:40:21 PM »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8754 on: October 13, 2021, 03:08:43 AM »
Is Tenet any good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZGcmvrTX9M

Visually yeah.
It's an interesting idea like inception done decently enough. But like inception there's people who insist it's the smartest thing ever while other people say it's dumb and doesn't make sense.

I thought it was pretty good but probably won't watch it again for at least a couple years if at all.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8755 on: October 17, 2021, 08:50:04 AM »
not the last. papillon the original from 1973 is a decent movie. didnt know they remade it in 2018 i got no interest in seeing the newer version

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 59
« Reply #8756 on: October 18, 2021, 01:34:55 AM »
This past week or so I’ve watched

-Narc
-Training Day
-John Wick

And plan on watching Collateral and the original Assault on Precinct 13 before the week is out.

Can wholeheartedly recommend them all - bar Collateral which I’m not actually sure I’ve seen before.

Narc was written + directed by the same guy that did Smokin’ Aces - imho an underrated film.

Hinna

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8757 on: October 18, 2021, 07:01:02 PM »
1st john wick was ok it wasnt the worst action movie or anything pretty typical. but a trilogy was too much

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8758 on: October 19, 2021, 12:14:39 AM »
original Assault on Precinct 13 before the week is out.

So, Rio Bravo?

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8759 on: October 24, 2021, 03:44:29 AM »
To live and die in LA (1985)

Maybe not to everyone's taste but I love this stuff. Peak 80s police/crime. the production, acting and visuals all on point.
Right to the point of cheesy/corny but doesn't go over the mark.

It's on YouTube in good quality