Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925437 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8760 on: October 24, 2021, 05:06:08 AM »
Dune.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #8761 on: October 24, 2021, 06:34:29 AM »
Dune.

I’m interested in how you felt about about. It’s one of the few high production movies I’ve seen without acts. The plot is weak, as is the characters. It doesn’t live up to the book, but I still enjoyed it. It’s total eye candy.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8762 on: October 24, 2021, 06:50:07 AM »
Dune.

i loved it. i thought it was super immersive and really dug the subtle approach to things like the worms. i watched it with my 13 year old daughter and she was super into it. she said that "the thing" is still her favorite movie but dune is second.

Expand Quote
Dune.
[close]

I’m interested in how you felt about about. It’s one of the few high production movies I’ve seen without acts. The plot is weak, as is the characters. It doesn’t live up to the book, but I still enjoyed it. It’s total eye candy.

i've literally never heard people who read the books before seeing movies not complain about how the book is better. to me it reads like when your reading amazon review and people complain that something is awesome but expensive, you just kind of keep scrolling. not trying to be dick or anything but i'm curious book fans like you are aware that you all do this. i think it boils down to the fact that if you enjoy reading you probably enjoy that deeper dive medium more than what movies can do.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8763 on: October 24, 2021, 07:54:21 AM »
To live and die in LA (1985)

Maybe not to everyone's taste but I love this stuff. Peak 80s police/crime. the production, acting and visuals all on point.
Right to the point of cheesy/corny but doesn't go over the mark.

It's on YouTube in good quality

This movie is on my list of recommendations from my dad. The other movies are Body Double and Body Heat. He is really into Neo Noir. Another movie I’ve been getting around to watching is Dead Ringers.

Back to To Live and Die…

I looked up the director and he directed The French Connection and The Exorcist. The other movie my dad mentions (same director as To Live and Die) is Crusing with Al Pacino about a cop that goes undercover in the gay SM community to catch a serial killer.

Definitely gotta watch all these movies at some point.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #8764 on: October 24, 2021, 08:08:24 AM »
Expand Quote

Maybe not to everyone's taste but I love this stuff. Peak 80s police/crime. the production, acting and visuals all on point.

[close]

This movie is on my list of recommendations from my dad. The other movies are Body Double and Body Heat. He is really into Neo Noir. Another movie I’ve been getting around to watching is Dead Ringers.

Back to To Live and Die…

I looked up the director and he directed The French Connection and The Exorcist. The other movie my dad mentions (same director as To Live and Die) is Crusing with Al Pacino about a cop that goes undercover in the gay SM community to catch a serial killer.

Seeking derangements has a hilarious episode on cruising

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8765 on: October 24, 2021, 08:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Back to To Live and Die…

Unfortunately French connection and exorcist kind of have reputations that are hard to live up to. I really like exorcist an thought cruising was pretty good too. French connection not so much but that's just me. If I'd never heard anything about it I'm sure if like it a lot more.

Something to remember if your not used to older movies is that they are just different.
Older movies vs new movies really are apples and oranges. It's hard to explain exactly but in some ways they are faster/more brief and while also being slower and going into more detail on some things.

It's crazy to think of all the movies you mentioned vs what passes as entertainment for adults now. Fucking aquamen or whatever. Oh he drinks beer and swears now that's so badass......

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8766 on: October 24, 2021, 08:28:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Back to To Live and Die…

[close]

Unfortunately French connection and exorcist kind of have reputations that are hard to live up to. I really like exorcist an thought cruising was pretty good too. French connection not so much but that's just me. If I'd never heard anything about it I'm sure if like it a lot more.

Something to remember if your not used to older movies is that they are just different.
Older movies vs new movies really are apples and oranges. It's hard to explain exactly but in some ways they are faster/more brief and while also being slower and going into more detail on some things.

It's crazy to think of all the movies you mentioned vs what passes as entertainment for adults now. Fucking aquamen or whatever. Oh he drinks beer and swears now that's so badass......

I grew up watching 70s movies with my dad so I know how to sit back and take it in.

Ever seen The Panic in Needle Park? You really feel like you are on the Street.

Also, surprised you didn’t like French Connection. The chase sequence alone is enough reason to like the film.

@DaleSr

I listened for 5 minutes and it sounds funny but I’m gonna have to wait as I don’t want a spoiler for a 41 year old movie I may or may not get around to watching.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 01:46:49 PM by GardenSkater77 »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8767 on: October 24, 2021, 08:41:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Back to To Live and Die…

[close]

[close]

I grew up watching 70s movies with my dad so I know how to sit back and take it in.

Ever seen Panic at Needle Park? You really feel like you are on the Street.

Also, surprised you didn’t like French Connection. The chase sequence alone is enough reason to like the film.

@DaleSr

I listened for 5 minutes and it sounds funny but I’m gonna have to wait as I don’t want a spoiler for a 41 year old movie I may or may not get around to watching.

Their episode is hilarious but they are also three of the most unhinged queer people in the world and that's why we love them

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8768 on: October 24, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Dune.
[close]

@PuffinMuffin 

I want to preface this by saying; I am so sorry if I come off as snide or condescending, not at all my intention. I’m just a fucking massive Dune nerd.

So, book one of Dune is adaptable. I think they did an incredible job with translating it into a full length film. That isn’t to say I didn’t have my gripes about it, but I loved it nonetheless.

Despite these nerdy and petty gripes, I loved it and thought they did a fantastic job translating a notoriously difficult book into a big budget production.

I’ve read through the series multiple times, and will say this: they shouldn’t make a movie adaptation for any Dune books after Children of Dune. That should be a multi season big budget mini series production.

I try not think of Dune as a solitary title, or even a 6 book series. To truly understand the scope of the universe that Herbert created, the Dune series needs to be thought of as 2 separate 3 book series that take place in the same universe. Book 4, God Emperor of Dune, takes place about 3500 years after Children of Dune left of.

Again I’m sorry if that came across snide, I just fucking love Dune and want people to talk about it with me.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #8769 on: October 24, 2021, 12:55:35 PM »
I watched Dune 3 times so far this weekend and might even do a 4th tonight. God damn it I loved every aspect of it so much. The disgustingness of the baron, that "pet" WTFFF, the planets, the throat music, the bag pipes, the sand mouse, the ships, the worms, I could go all day

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8770 on: October 24, 2021, 01:10:16 PM »
I watched Dune 3 times so far this weekend and might even do a 4th tonight. God damn it I loved every aspect of it so much. The disgustingness of the baron, that "pet" WTFFF, the planets, the throat music, the bag pipes, the sand mouse, the ships, the worms, I could go all day

I was really confused by that also, and did a lot of digging to figure out what it was. I figured that the person dumping the liquid into the barons bath was a ghola made by the bene tleilax and that the creature was sort of a subtle reference/explanation to who was in that scene.

But after doing some work I found a Reddit post that theorized/explained it pretty well and I’m gonna agree with what they said.

It's the tarentuwolf (tarentulouve in French version) from Jodorowsky's and Jimenez "La Caste des Méta-Barons" comic. The whole of the Incal/Métabaron universe being inspired by Jodo's Dune experience, this reference is not outlandish.

https://imgur.com/UDmsnVs

We should probably not expect to see this creature again, since it was more like a reference to meta-elements surrounding Dune's cultural impact on the science-fiction scene

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #8771 on: October 24, 2021, 01:31:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dune.
[close]

[close]

@PuffinMuffin 

I want to preface this by saying; I am so sorry if I come off as snide or condescending, not at all my intention. I’m just a fucking massive Dune nerd.

So, book one of Dune is adaptable. I think they did an incredible job with translating it into a full length film. That isn’t to say I didn’t have my gripes about it, but I loved it nonetheless.

Despite these nerdy and petty gripes, I loved it and thought they did a fantastic job translating a notoriously difficult book into a big budget production.

I’ve read through the series multiple times, and will say this: they shouldn’t make a movie adaptation for any Dune books after Children of Dune. That should be a multi season big budget mini series production.

I try not think of Dune as a solitary title, or even a 6 book series. To truly understand the scope of the universe that Herbert created, the Dune series needs to be thought of as 2 separate 3 book series that take place in the same universe. Book 4, God Emperor of Dune, takes place about 3500 years after Children of Dune left of.

Again I’m sorry if that came across snide, I just fucking love Dune and want people to talk about it with me.

You not coming off snide or condescending. I read the first three books, but that was over a decade ago, so my memory is hazy. I tried to finish God Emperor and ended up quitting. The world-building and plot in the movie seemed inadequately fleshed out because my husband who hasn't read any of the books kept asking questions through the whole damn thing. It got kinda annoying but they were valid questions. After the movie ended he said the characters felt inconsequential, and if I didn't read the book, I'd agree. Perhaps if they added a bit more dialog and less slow-burn atmospheric moody shots, it'd feel cohesive. But I'm not a movie director, so wtf do I know, my adaptation would be worse than Lynch's.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8772 on: October 24, 2021, 05:37:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dune.
[close]

[close]

@PuffinMuffin 

[close]

You not coming off snide or condescending. I read the first three books, but that was over a decade ago, so my memory is hazy. I tried to finish God Emperor and ended up quitting. The world-building and plot in the movie seemed inadequately fleshed out because my husband who hasn't read any of the books kept asking questions through the whole damn thing. It got kinda annoying but they were valid questions. After the movie ended he said the characters felt inconsequential, and if I didn't read the book, I'd agree. Perhaps if they added a bit more dialog and less slow-burn atmospheric moody shots, it'd feel cohesive. But I'm not a movie director, so wtf do I know, my adaptation would be worse than Lynch's.  :)

I do wish that there had been a little more dialouge in some scenes, but they probably filmed a bunch of shit we won't see until the directors cut. Like i don't think they even called piter by his name at any point,but i also like that they didn't spend a bunch of time on exposition

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8773 on: October 24, 2021, 05:43:58 PM »
I just watched the first installment of the new Dune and I thought it was great, an incredibly well made big production, but I'll admit that I needed a really big, fun movie today. I'm probably going to rewatch it tomorrow. Part of me wishes they'd done it as an HBO series, really expanded it, but never the less I'm more satisfied than I expected to be- impressive and exciting but also a bit empty.
* I just noticed you guys mentioned the lack of dialogue- I kind of liked how visual it was with the small bullfighter object, or the thopters humming, and the feeling of an impending epic battle, but without words it did feel quiet - but also like the book can play in your thoughts a bit too that way. I'm hoping there's a longer version available soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0HgHet0sxg
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 06:18:10 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #8774 on: October 24, 2021, 07:15:39 PM »
Really loved it. I have to watch it again though to get the full perspective. I do think that Dune: Messiah and Children of Dune would be better served as a series. Maybe with Villeneuve as show runner.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #8775 on: October 24, 2021, 08:37:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dune.
[close]

[close]

@PuffinMuffin 

[close]

I've said the same thing about everything Villeneuve has done including Blade Runner and everyone always gives me shit for it. I feel he relies too much on the visual element and dramatic mannerisms.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #8776 on: October 24, 2021, 10:18:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Back to To Live and Die…

To Live and Die In LA, Manhunter, and Cruising would make a great triple feature. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #8777 on: October 25, 2021, 12:03:33 AM »
I'd be very interested to hear from the folks who've read the books, what they think of latest Dune vs the David Lynch adaptation
(I have not read anything Dune related, was only just introduced via Lynch a few years ago)
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8778 on: October 25, 2021, 01:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Back to To Live and Die…

[close]

To Live and Die In LA, Manhunter, and Cruising would make a great triple feature.

Umm are you in my house? Literally just did that triple last night.

Love Manhunter and it's my much preferred version but gotta say I think red dragon technically is a better movie just as far as characters, story and structure. Acting/production/vibe Manhunter all the way.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8779 on: October 25, 2021, 02:51:45 AM »
Watched Tombstone for the first time last night. Damn good movie, Kurt Russell is excellent in this.

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #8780 on: October 25, 2021, 04:30:23 AM »
Rewatched Truman last night

Soooo good and it always amazes me how fucked up the entire situation is. Makes you wonder if you aren't just a pawn in someone's simulation lol

JeremyScottofChapman

• Rep: -21
« Reply #8781 on: October 25, 2021, 05:21:15 AM »
Titane!

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8782 on: October 25, 2021, 06:09:05 AM »
Watched Tombstone for the first time last night. Damn good movie, Kurt Russell is excellent in this.

Tombstone is one of my favorite westerns period. It's so fucking good

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #8783 on: October 25, 2021, 07:27:30 AM »
And gave us this amazing exchange…

https://youtu.be/plD1MbOGLfQ
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8784 on: October 25, 2021, 08:04:55 AM »
I personally am a big fan of them talking shit to each other in Latin

"did you hear that darlin? He knows Latin. Now i definitely hate him."

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8785 on: October 25, 2021, 08:38:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Back to To Live and Die…

[close]

I found Manhunter through this thread and watched it a few times this year, loving it. Then I finally saw Thief. I want to revisit Heat but I don't have anywhere to stream it for free. Are any of Michael Mann's other films nearly as good? I'm going to try and watch to Live and Die in LA and hopefully Jodorowsky's Dune documentary this week. Dig this thread so much.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8786 on: October 25, 2021, 08:52:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tombstone is one of my favorite westerns period. It's so fucking good

Might actually re-watch it again tonight. That’s how much I enjoyed it.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #8787 on: October 25, 2021, 09:37:48 AM »

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #8788 on: October 25, 2021, 11:45:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Back to To Live and Die…

[close]

[close]

Umm are you in my house? Literally just did that triple last night.

Love Manhunter and it's my much preferred version but gotta say I think red dragon technically is a better movie just as far as characters, story and structure. Acting/production/vibe Manhunter all the way.

hahaha no way

just remembered i had these so I had to pull them out and take a pic

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8789 on: October 25, 2021, 11:59:39 AM »
Any Dune viewers have their minds totally hijacked by the super metal sardaukar sequence with the throat singing and the blood sluices? Because i haven't been able to stop thinking about it all weekend