Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925734 times)

Bunk Moreland

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8820 on: November 07, 2021, 08:59:16 PM »
Zola.

French manicure

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #8821 on: November 07, 2021, 10:09:07 PM »

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8822 on: November 08, 2021, 02:42:14 AM »
Escape From New York still rules after all those years.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #8823 on: November 18, 2021, 07:05:58 AM »
Hagazussa

This movie fucked me up.  It's one of those movies where half the reviews are "the most boring movie I've ever seen" and the other half are "most amazing movie I've ever seen".  It's not the most amazing movie I've ever seen, but I definitely loved it.

It mines similar territory to the VVitch, or at least takes place in the same time frame and "witches" is somewhat of a theme.  It's a slooooooow burn; any slower and you'd be watching still photographs.  It's more of an art film... kinda reminds of me of a cross between The Begotten and The VVitch.  The cinematography is outstanding, every single camera shot is creepy as hell.  It's so atmospheric and unsettling it pretty much drew me in from the beginning.   I find this type of stuff far more effective for a scary film.

Highly recommended if you love slow burn, creepy horror.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1-gcr_RTqY
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 12:35:21 PM by bea! »

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #8824 on: November 18, 2021, 07:27:49 AM »
My gf and i watched the fantastic Viggo/Cronenberg pair of movies Eastern Promises and A History of Violence. Pleasantly surprised that my gf who only wants to watch movies from the fifties loved both of them, even though she had to look at Viggo Mortensen's giant cock flopping around while he's getting slashed by chechens

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8825 on: November 18, 2021, 07:40:03 AM »
Had a big dum crocodile night. Rogue, black water and crawl. All stupid but fun if you can turn your brain off for 90 mins.
Rogue Id say best all around. Crawl most dum but maybe most fun. Black water least dum but also least fun.
Black water abyss is dogpoop tho don't bother. Dum but no fun.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8826 on: November 18, 2021, 04:24:00 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRkoL45JGk

Possesor is so sick!  I've watched it twice, and the second time I tried to watch it I had to turn it off within 20 minutes because I was ripped and the vibes were getting to me.  So great!

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #8827 on: November 19, 2021, 03:49:27 PM »
Saw Pulp Fiction and American Psycho after meaning to see them for like 15 years. Didn't really care for pulp fiction, should probably watch it again. Didn't really care for American Psycho at first either untill the next day and now I think it's one of the best movies I've seen. Also got me on a skin care program which is nice. Also made me understand that wknd sketch
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:57:06 PM by Hevonen »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8828 on: November 19, 2021, 05:23:08 PM »
Saw Pulp Fiction and American Psycho after meaning to see them for like 15 years. Didn't really care for pulp fiction, should probably watch it again. Didn't really care for American Psycho at first either untill the next day and now I think it's one of the best movies I've seen. Also got me on a skin care program which is nice. Also made me understand that wknd sketch

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8829 on: November 19, 2021, 05:25:52 PM »
I can't believe that Bryce liked van patten's card more than mine

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #8830 on: November 20, 2021, 02:48:07 PM »
"Blue Collar" (1978)
Written and directed by Paul Schrader
Starring Richard Pryor, Harvey Keitel and Yaphet Kotto
Three autoworkers decide to rob their own union and end up with more than they bargained for.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #8831 on: November 22, 2021, 04:47:59 AM »
Lake placid (1999)
Dumb fun. Doesn't waste time with dull shit, effects hold up alright, good acting, you can see what's happening. Also it's only like 75mins.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 06:59:59 AM by Mean salto »

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #8832 on: November 22, 2021, 06:22:38 AM »
french dispatch was fun

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8833 on: November 22, 2021, 06:27:26 AM »
french dispatch was fun

I've still gotta see it. At heart I'll always be a stupid twee hipster doofus

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #8834 on: November 22, 2021, 07:30:41 AM »

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #8835 on: November 22, 2021, 05:00:44 PM »
Lake placid (1999)
Dumb fun. Doesn't waste time with dull shit, effects hold up alright, good acting, you can see what's happening. Also it's only like 75mins.

Yes. In real life, I'm never like "it all just happened so FAST" but I watch action scenes in movies and I'm like "WTF was that gibberish"?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #8836 on: November 22, 2021, 10:07:17 PM »
https://youtu.be/aFaNbnLGRoM

I used to scare the shit out of my little brother and sister with this one.  Had them afraid to sleep with toys in the room. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #8837 on: November 23, 2021, 05:42:11 AM »
Expand Quote
french dispatch was fun
[close]

I've still gotta see it. At heart I'll always be a stupid twee hipster doofus

I wanted to like it so much, but it was just too boring for me. The first story, with Adrian Brody and Benicio was great, but other than that, I felt like it was too artsy for its own good. It was nice, but once the third story was ending, I was just hoping that this is the end, and there wont be anything else in that.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #8838 on: November 24, 2021, 11:41:47 PM »
Fitcarraldo - 1982 -  holy shit what a fucking adventure epic of a story that I've been in the mood for for years that was.   Dude literally made a film where humans actually carried a giant steam boat over a mountain in the Peruvian jungle. Numerous casualties, chief threats and attacks from indigenous tribes during the making too. And it was actually a phenomenal movie too

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8839 on: November 25, 2021, 09:40:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I had a similar experience @GardenSkater77  I read the Brett Easton Ellis book as a late teen. It's OG serial killer chic and so dark and vile, but I think the critique/satire of the 80s Reaganites was always mixed in there- so it's so cool that Mary Harron decided to focus on that instead of the physical gore.
But when I first saw the film I was so disappointed. I had read that David Cronenberg was going to do the film with Brad Pitt and the movie was going to somehow have no murders - which sounded incredible. So my expectations were all over the place.
The actual American Psycho film looked/sounded kind of lower budget at first, and I kept doing that thing where I saw only the parts of the book that had been left out, not the value of what was included. SPOILER ***There's this one scene in the novel where Patrick Bateman buys handfuls of crack in the street and eats it, goes into a fancy deli and does the same thing with a fancy ham, just hoovers it, and throws up all over himself, and then has a shootout with some cops. I was for some reason pissed about that scene being cut. I guess I just wanted to see someone eat a fistful of crack and then go Liz Lemon on some ham.***
A few days later I was talking about the movie with a friend who was also obsessed with the book, and they loved it. They kept describing the facemask skin peel scene and the business card scene, and then it clicked in my head how well done the film of American Psycho is.

I rewatched Heat last night. Even as a low res youtube video its still so good. The plane lights in the gun fight and the whole last act is <3

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #8840 on: November 25, 2021, 12:44:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I had a similar experience @GardenSkater77  I read the Brett Easton Ellis book as a late teen. It's OG serial killer chic and so dark and vile, but I think the critique/satire of the 80s Reaganites was always mixed in there- so it's so cool that Mary Harron decided to focus on that instead of the physical gore.
But when I first saw the film I was so disappointed. I had read that David Cronenberg was going to do the film with Brad Pitt and the movie was going to somehow have no murders - which sounded incredible. So my expectations were all over the place.
The actual American Psycho film looked/sounded kind of lower budget at first, and I kept doing that thing where I saw only the parts of the book that had been left out, not the value of what was included. SPOILER ***There's this one scene in the novel where Patrick Bateman buys handfuls of crack in the street and eats it, goes into a fancy deli and does the same thing with a fancy ham, just hoovers it, and throws up all over himself, and then has a shootout with some cops. I was for some reason pissed about that scene being cut. I guess I just wanted to see someone eat a fistful of crack and then go Liz Lemon on some ham.***
A few days later I was talking about the movie with a friend who was also obsessed with the book, and they loved it. They kept describing the facemask skin peel scene and the business card scene, and then it clicked in my head how well done the film of American Psycho is.

I rewatched Heat last night. Even as a low res youtube video its still so good. The plane lights in the gun fight and the whole last act is <3

Hey…it was actually @Hevonen that wrote the post. I just added the skin care gif. It’s good you read the book. I haven’t read a book in 15 years. I’m not proud of this fact but my short attention span is so great I just can’t read more than an article.

As for American Psycho it may be one of the most quotable films of all time. The film borders on slap stick and I wonder if Christian Bale created that element or if it is in the book. I actually never saw the film until recently because the cover made it look like a slasher movie but it’s really a black comedy that is a disassociate as the main character.

I love the ending where he wants to come clean and no one cares. That is so corporate. All you have to do is portray a picture of success and you can do whatever you want as long as it does not negatively impact the company.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone…

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #8841 on: November 27, 2021, 04:23:56 AM »
Obvious one but I just watched the Before Sunrise trilogy and it was really good. The editing and scripts are great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MUcuqbGTxc

theresnothinghere

• Rep: 33
  • ugly with a heart of gold
« Reply #8842 on: November 27, 2021, 04:28:50 AM »
Random as hell but does anyone else use Letterboxd? A classmate of mine showed it to me and I've been enjoying it.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8843 on: November 27, 2021, 07:30:43 AM »
I use it intermittently

Grind King Rims

« Reply #8844 on: November 27, 2021, 01:57:29 PM »
Just watched Moonlight. I liked it.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #8845 on: November 27, 2021, 02:01:07 PM »
I watched Dont breathe 2 last night, was alot better than i expected. It had this fucken kid from Empire records in it all grown up

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #8846 on: November 27, 2021, 03:26:00 PM »
I watched Dont breathe 2 last night, was alot better than i expected. It had this fucken kid from Empire records in it all grown up

Always liked that actor, very Moses Itkonen.

T-Funke

• Rep: -23
« Reply #8847 on: November 27, 2021, 06:56:51 PM »
https://youtu.be/jBm-5i8Me_0

Pretty crazy documentary about the married news team that revolutionized news coverage in LA. Some insane footage and a rad score by Ty Segall.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #8848 on: December 02, 2021, 12:47:34 PM »
The Last Duel was fantastic... A+ and two thumbs up.

Not at all what I expected and from what I understand, marketed pretty poorly.  The trailers were made to look like a Gladiator-esque movie about dueling knights and honor but was so much more complex than that. 

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8849 on: December 02, 2021, 12:59:19 PM »
The Last Duel was fantastic... A+ and two thumbs up.

Not at all what I expected and from what I understand, marketed pretty poorly.  The trailers were made to look like a Gladiator-esque movie about dueling knights and honor but was so much more complex than that.

I've been meaning to check it out. Love ridley and his films