Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 936296 times)

AsianVegan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8880 on: January 03, 2022, 06:20:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Downriver 2015. Australian crime thriller. Not an action movie, not a fun movie it's pretty heavy. I don't even know if I can properly recommend it. It's good but it's a bummer.
[close]

A lot of aussie media is a bummer. I love it though. Animal kingdom, son of a gun, the Kettering incident, the rover. Shit is bleak but i fucking back it
[close]
Have you seen the nightingale? Jesus Christ it’s bleak.
[close]

I haven't. I heard it's completely fucked
[close]
pretty sure I saw nightingale don't remember it being too bad. Completely different type of feeling tho to downriver. Maybe a bit more like Snowtown (another fucking bummer Aus movie)

You can add Nitram to this list too (same director as Snowtown). Grim.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #8881 on: January 03, 2022, 08:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Downriver 2015. Australian crime thriller. Not an action movie, not a fun movie it's pretty heavy. I don't even know if I can properly recommend it. It's good but it's a bummer.
[close]

A lot of aussie media is a bummer. I love it though. Animal kingdom, son of a gun, the Kettering incident, the rover. Shit is bleak but i fucking back it
[close]
Have you seen the nightingale? Jesus Christ it’s bleak.
[close]

I haven't. I heard it's completely fucked
[close]
pretty sure I saw nightingale don't remember it being too bad. Completely different type of feeling tho to downriver. Maybe a bit more like Snowtown (another fucking bummer Aus movie)
[close]

You can add Nitram to this list too (same director as Snowtown). Grim.

Just rewatched noise. It's nowhere near as much of a bummer as the others, just somewhat realistic crime story. real good Australia nostalgic feeling. ( But won't necessarily leave you feeling good)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
« Reply #8882 on: January 03, 2022, 08:31:11 PM »
Is Australia really that grim? Matty seems like he's having a go of it haha

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8883 on: January 03, 2022, 08:40:39 PM »
Nah it's really not. I think that might be why they make so many grim movies it's like everybody has that tiny bit of grimness in their lives and it's easy to latch onto it. No one wants to watch a movie about surfing football and bbqs

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #8884 on: January 05, 2022, 09:44:52 PM »
The Master

Fucking loved it

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8885 on: January 07, 2022, 08:58:58 PM »
Ghostbusters Afterlife was very fun.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1063
« Reply #8886 on: January 08, 2022, 08:59:09 AM »
Alan Clarke Triple Play

« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 07:54:00 PM by GardenSkater77 »

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8887 on: January 08, 2022, 09:10:17 AM »
Watched Wake in Fright last night. An Australian movie from the early 70's (71 I think), it's a slow, bleak movie but it's pretty damn good

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #8888 on: January 08, 2022, 01:58:17 PM »
Watched Wake in Fright last night. An Australian movie from the early 70's (71 I think), it's a slow, bleak movie but it's pretty damn good

That movie is fucking insanity. One of my absolute favorites

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8889 on: January 08, 2022, 04:29:33 PM »
I’ve probably posted this countless times in here, but man i love this damn film..

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #8890 on: January 09, 2022, 05:46:14 PM »
Wanted to watch a few movies I always thought I should have so while in partial lock down again watched Taxi Driver and Looper...the first is a classic with DeNiro's slow burn simply amazing and Looper was just a fun (if that's the word) watch.

As for something I'll always go back to Malick's The Thin Red Line is a must see.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8891 on: January 09, 2022, 06:01:47 PM »
DONT LOOK UP
its on Netflix. Funny, serious, subtle jabs, and a (very) little bit of skating. If you are in to end of the world shit, there ya go.
Just watched too. Better than expected.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8892 on: January 09, 2022, 07:57:07 PM »
I’ve probably posted this countless times in here, but man i love this damn film..

I love snatch

I love all of Guy Ritchies movies

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8893 on: January 09, 2022, 08:08:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I love snatch

I love all of Guy Ritchies movies
Watched wrath of man last night. Funny how it's also Statham and Ritchie but not funny and all the dialogue is stupid. I'm guessing it's a homage to old action movies where everybody is kinda just a dick. Actual movie is decent enough tho for an action movie.

Skateboard Shuffle

• Rep: 136
« Reply #8894 on: January 11, 2022, 10:32:42 AM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #8895 on: January 11, 2022, 09:24:47 PM »
Expand Quote
TAKE A PICTURE OF ME PECKER!!!!
[close]

Little Chrissy might be the best character ever. Me Mama was pretty good too. FULL OF GRACE!

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8896 on: January 12, 2022, 02:55:23 AM »
Sword of trust (2019)
Subtle comedy. Good writing and acting. Altho not a big laugh fest. Nice to know they can still make a movie that doesn't cost billions to make that's decent. Unfortunately I don't think it made any money at all.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8897 on: January 18, 2022, 09:09:43 PM »
The last duel is on HBO Max. It could be good if you can get passed Matt Damon with a 14th century French mullet and that asshole from Fashionable Male as a nobleman.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8898 on: January 18, 2022, 11:29:52 PM »
The last duel is on HBO Max. It could be good if you can get passed Matt Damon with a 14th century French mullet and that asshole from Fashionable Male as a nobleman.
I had a real tuf time with this one. I did make it thru to the end tho which is more than I can say about a lot of movies. It's not subtle in what it's saying. Repeating the story gimmick made me bored by the third perspective.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8899 on: January 19, 2022, 11:59:50 PM »
Expand Quote
DONT LOOK UP
its on Netflix. Funny, serious, subtle jabs, and a (very) little bit of skating. If you are in to end of the world shit, there ya go.
[close]
Just watched too. Better than expected.
Just watched it. Bummed me out despite being really funny.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8900 on: January 20, 2022, 07:40:49 AM »
Last duel was interesting but really fucking unpleasant to watch a rape scene twice. At least Adam driver got sakuraba knee'd into hell

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8901 on: January 20, 2022, 08:35:28 AM »
Finally got around to watching under the silver lake. Put it off for a while because I thought it would be some try hard fake indy bullshit.
I'd say it was actually good. Interesting, good acting, story moves along, some twists and turns but not complete stupid mess.

Yu Dum

« Reply #8902 on: January 20, 2022, 10:56:30 AM »
Posting this again to reiterate how amazing I think this film is.
Rewatched No Country for Old Men Monday night & Tuesday with my partner and it just gets better each time. Also noticed this time around that there was next-to-no music throughout the entire thing. Made the environments and action that much more interesting for me because, sometimes, the music can take away a good bit of the suspense and leave the actions/events to fall flat and feel anticlimactic. But, I'm sure some or most of y'all feel the same way.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #8903 on: January 20, 2022, 11:08:29 AM »
Rewatched No Country for Old Men Monday night & Tuesday with my partner and it just gets better each time. Also noticed this time around that there was next-to-no music throughout the entire thing. Made the environments and action that much more interesting for me because, sometimes, the music can take away a good bit of the suspense and leave the actions/events to fall flat and feel anticlimactic. But, I'm sure some or most of y'all feel the same way.

Probably one of my favorite aspects of the film is the lack of music… well minus the Mariachi which are basically singing about how greedy Josh Brolins character got ha… i always find new little details i missed every watch through.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8904 on: January 20, 2022, 11:28:05 AM »

it's probably superfluous for me to carry on too much about No Country for Old Men in here, but i'm always glad to see it get brought up again and rediscovered

i return to it often, and in addition to what ya'll mention in these last comments, lately i've been really digging the conversation between Sheriff Ed Tom and that other sheriff towards the end...it really drives home that sense that they are losing if not lost...

"..it's just beyond everything...and how do you defend against it?"

outgunned and overwhelmed

edit: meant to say, i know it's often said, but seriously Cormac McCarthy's book is incredible if you have not read it

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #8905 on: January 20, 2022, 04:35:10 PM »
This book has a really good essay on No Country... in it, definitely recommended if you're a fan of the movie
https://u1lib.org/book/733790/99ce43

On the topic of the Coens, anybody seen the new film version of Macbeth that Joel Coen directed?

I don't really care about Shakespeare, but it's gotten good reviews & the visuals look amazing, gonna watch it this weekend

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8906 on: January 20, 2022, 05:26:10 PM »
Re: No Country, anyone else bothered by the fact that Llewelyn’s death happens off camera? You spend all this time with the guy, following his escape from evil cartel dudes, dogs, and multiple confrontations with the seeming personification of evil, have all of this emotional investment with seeing him make it through, are privy to his plans and how he is handling everything, and then he gets smoked while Tommy Lee is pulling up to the hotel.

I get that that’s how it is in the book, and it speaks to the theme of evil and the randomness of events that is later reflected when Anton gets in the car crash, but man is it unsatisfying storytelling.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #8907 on: January 20, 2022, 05:41:59 PM »
It’s funny, no country for old men is on the first and last page of this thread.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #8908 on: January 20, 2022, 06:00:36 PM »
So good. Recently watched No Country For Old Men,  probably my 5th viewing. The injury scenes so gnar when they care for their wounds themselves. So gritty makes you almost feel pain. And I'm a weirdo by imagining what medical interventions to do to them. No Country For Old Men always a thriller 

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #8909 on: January 20, 2022, 06:37:39 PM »
It’s funny, no country for old men is on the first and last page of this thread.

Oh that’s cool, a testament to how much that movie kicks ass

Re: No Country, anyone else bothered by the fact that Llewelyn’s death happens off camera? You spend all this time with the guy, following his escape from evil cartel dudes, dogs, and multiple confrontations with the seeming personification of evil, have all of this emotional investment with seeing him make it through, are privy to his plans and how he is handling everything, and then he gets smoked while Tommy Lee is pulling up to the hotel.

I get that that’s how it is in the book, and it speaks to the theme of evil and the randomness of events that is later reflected when Anton gets in the car crash, but man is it unsatisfying storytelling.

I saw the movie years before I read the book, but honestly I was never bothered by it

I thought it was an unconventional, bold, & ballsy choice, that just made his death more shocking & affecting