Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937360 times)

Bunk Moreland

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #8970 on: February 22, 2022, 08:03:28 AM »

I feel like I need to watch this again. I went in to it thinking it would be John Wick with a Pig, which is kind of how they advertised it. No, not at all.

BallDontLie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8971 on: February 22, 2022, 11:12:44 AM »
Expand Quote
I really enjoyed the Nightmare Alley movie with Bradley Cooper that came out recently.
[close]

great film. I found it really enjoyable until the end. Oh boy, that ending fuuuuucked me up. First movie I've watched since I was a kid that kept me up at night. Still, an excellent film

Exactly how i felt about Dead Mans Shoes…

It just lingers with you for a while.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

coalition_msk

• Rep: 3
    • КОАЛИЦИЯ avatar image
« Reply #8972 on: February 23, 2022, 06:06:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I feel like I need to watch this again. I went in to it thinking it would be John Wick with a Pig, which is kind of how they advertised it. No, not at all.

No,not at all and defenatly no Mandy in it)))

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #8973 on: February 23, 2022, 09:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man, that movie was a bummer. You're right, it needs a second viewing, it's so fucking good.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #8974 on: February 23, 2022, 12:41:42 PM »
The Seventh Continent.

Was excited after enjoying Funny Games and went in blind and holy shit that was the most bleak movie experience I've ever. True story and so insanely well presented as a movie. Took a week before I could tell my gf what I watched that night lmao

Yu Dum

« Reply #8975 on: February 26, 2022, 08:31:51 AM »
The French Dispatch was added to HBOMax last night. Watched it but can't really remember it because I was half awake, but from what I do remember, I loved it. Your typical Wes Anderson film with beautiful settings, eccentric characters, and a pretty good story. Going to rewatch it tonight when I'm actually focused.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #8976 on: February 26, 2022, 08:48:57 AM »
watched Memento for the first time a couple days ago
This keeps popping up on hbo. Gonna revisit now.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 967
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8977 on: February 26, 2022, 04:23:51 PM »
I watched The Last Duel. It was stomach turning. I think that’s kinda the point of the film. It took me three tries to watch it because I been busy.

It’s pretty good
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #8978 on: February 27, 2022, 08:05:36 AM »
The French Dispatch was added to HBOMax last night. Watched it but can't really remember it because I was half awake, but from what I do remember, I loved it. Your typical Wes Anderson film with beautiful settings, eccentric characters, and a pretty good story. Going to rewatch it tonight when I'm actually focused.

I just watched this too and it was so well done. The play sets within the film are great. Even the subtitles were unique and elegant. Jeffrey Wright and Frances McDormand we’re my favorites.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #8979 on: February 27, 2022, 08:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just watched this too and it was so well done. The play sets within the film are great. Even the subtitles were unique and elegant. Jeffrey Wright and Frances McDormand we’re my favorites.

BIG MASSIVE SPOILER DONT READ IF YOU HAVENT SEEN
I was into the movie until the end where it was an animation. I feel like live action would of really pushed that movie to the next level but to me it ended up feeling kind of cheap. Still overall one of the better new movies I've seen for a bit

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8980 on: February 27, 2022, 04:53:24 PM »

just finished it earlier--outstanding...admittedly, i love everything he does, and feel like i say this after each new one, but maybe my favorite...i don't know though, i still consider The Royal Tenenbaum's to be his best...maybe...maybe not...

...funny coincidence too, in one of the lit classes i'm teaching this semester we're in the middle of a section of the semester on "Urbanism, Industrialism, and Realism" where we just finished dealing with poems in Charles Baudelaire's Paris Spleen (where would any talk of ennui and Paris be without at least a gesture in Baudelaire's direction?), and when we come back from break the week after next, we will be reading James Baldwin, especially "Notes of a Native Son"...

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8981 on: February 28, 2022, 07:55:39 AM »
I watched The Last Duel. It was stomach turning. I think that’s kinda the point of the film. It took me three tries to watch it because I been busy.

It’s pretty good

It was really fucking uncomfortable but i think that's why it's a good movie. Really fucking difficult to watch at points.

Looking forward to watching French dispatch

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #8982 on: February 28, 2022, 08:11:06 AM »
Rewatched Fire Walk with Me for the third time. Gets better  each time.

Prisoners with Jake Gylenhaal was grand too. 

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8983 on: February 28, 2022, 08:56:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

just finished it earlier--outstanding...admittedly, i love everything he does, and feel like i say this after each new one, but maybe my favorite...i don't know though, i still consider The Royal Tenenbaum's to be his best...maybe...maybe not...

It’s a toss up between Life Aquatic and Royal Tenebaums for me.

He’s from here, so I’m also partial to Rushmore as a few of the filming locations were here.

I also highly recommend his first one, Bottle Rocket. The rumor was that it didn’t do very well finically, so Owen Wilson almost quit acting to join the marines. Something like that. 

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #8984 on: February 28, 2022, 10:05:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He’s from here, so I’m also partial to Rushmore as a few of the filming locations were here.

I also highly recommend his first one, Bottle Rocket. The rumor was that it didn’t do very well finically, so Owen Wilson almost quit acting to join the marines. Something like that.

cheers @whitemanjazz

i truly am a believer--i do think that he is one of America's truest auteurs...and Bottle Rocket is up their with the rest of them for me--in fact, over the years, i've had to nerd out on it in here a couple of times...case(s) in point:

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #8985 on: February 28, 2022, 12:22:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

cheers @whitemanjazz

i truly am a believer--i do think that he is one of America's truest auteurs...and Bottle Rocket is up their with the rest of them for me--in fact, over the years, i've had to nerd out on it in here a couple of times...case(s) in point:

Love The Life Aquatic. I get misty when they’re all in the little sub at the end. Just made it through Grand Budapest the other day after a bunch of false starts. M. Gustave might be the most likable of Anderson’s protagonists. I still wanna be Steve Zissou when I grow up.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #8986 on: March 01, 2022, 12:54:06 PM »
Fuck yeah for the Wes Anderson love.

My only Halloween costume is Steve Zissou. No one ever knows who I am but fuck it i feel like a king on Halloween

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8987 on: March 01, 2022, 02:37:38 PM »
Fuck yeah for the Wes Anderson love.

My only Halloween costume is Steve Zissou. No one ever knows who I am but fuck it i feel like a king on Halloween

I'm planning on being either zissou or klaus depending on whether i have a beard or not for the rest of my life

beandemon

« Reply #8988 on: March 01, 2022, 05:50:54 PM »
Team Zissou makes a pretty epic group costume, too.    A band I’m friendly with has done it to great effect - for the 5 of us that got it. Oh, shit! - didn’t the red beanie have a skate co logo?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8989 on: March 03, 2022, 05:11:55 AM »
The death of Mr lazarescu
It's a weird one. Kinda funny kinda bummer.
Starts a bit slow and it's a little long (and Romanian if reading subs is a problem for some people)
can't really explain it without giving it away. Basically an old man feels sick and goes to hospital. (But of course there's more to it) anyone that's had to deal with something in hospital can probably relate.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8990 on: March 04, 2022, 06:58:00 AM »
Buffy the vampire slayer.
Fun, very 90s. Kinda short only 80ish mins I think. get in get out before it gets too dumb or annoying. Weirdly super brief. Many main characters have like two scenes in the whole thing.
Ghost world.
Kinda was off this one for years after it was every non preppy girls go to. Cool visually/vibe just like regular year 2000 LA (or I assume that's what it was like). No real point or whatever but alright. Altho still think the main character is basically a piece of shit.
Mona Lisa.
Also cool. London 80s. Peak Bob Hoskins.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8991 on: March 04, 2022, 10:40:03 AM »
For the Wes fans, I'm curious how old you guys are? Not trying to shame but I am a fan but feel like I lost more and more interest as time went on. I am curious what age group his current hardcore fans are.

Seems like he lost interest in characters and situations that I can relate with and got more and more obsessed with aestheticizing time periods and figures inspired by European history. I think Grand Budapest was the first one I felt lukewarm on with Isle of Dogs being a slight improvement. Still curious about the new one.

Yu Dum

« Reply #8992 on: March 04, 2022, 10:50:56 AM »
For the Wes fans, I'm curious how old you guys are? Not trying to shame but I am a fan but feel like I lost more and more interest as time went on. I am curious what age group his current hardcore fans are.

Seems like he lost interest in characters and situations that I can relate with and got more and more obsessed with aestheticizing time periods and figures inspired by European history. I think Grand Budapest was the first one I felt lukewarm on with Isle of Dogs being a slight improvement. Still curious about the new one.
I'm only 27, but I'm also late to his film catalogue. Didn't watch any film of his until I was like 20 and saw The Life Aquatic. Still need to watch the rest of his films to really understand what you're talking about.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #8993 on: March 04, 2022, 12:03:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'm only 27, but I'm also late to his film catalogue. Didn't watch any film of his until I was like 20 and saw The Life Aquatic. Still need to watch the rest of his films to really understand what you're talking about.

Make sure to watch Rushmore. My personal favorite of his. Amazing soundtrack like most of his movies.

Irvine-Sucks.com

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8994 on: March 04, 2022, 12:26:34 PM »

All fair points.

Edit: i misread that, I’m 33  :-X

15 or 16 for me. My first one was Life Aquatic. A big reason i bought the DVD was the trailer used Ceremony by New order. Will always be dear to me.

I grew up near where he’s from, so I’ll always be a little biased. Darjeeling Limited was the one i was pretty meh on. It’s ok, but i guess my expectations were pretty high.

Moonrise kingdom is solid. Still haven’t seen Grand Budapest hotel or French Dispatch. Little ashamed of myself.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 05:13:49 PM by whitemanjazz »

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8995 on: March 05, 2022, 08:21:47 AM »

This is an interesting discussion and I tend to agree with you.  I'm 38 years old.  When I was in high school, I had a way cooler, older girlfriend who had really good taste in movies.  I remember watching Happiness at 17 and having a total wtf moment.

We watched the Royal Tenenbaums before I was 18.  Stayed up with his films and of course had to go back to Rushmore.  I agree with you that his films have turned into more style than substance though.  For me, it was post Darjeeling Ltd.  Almost sort of a "too Wes Anderson for Wes Anderson" sort of way, or like a caricature of his former self.  I loved Moonrise Kingdom though.

My faves are Tenenbaums, Rushmore, and Life Aquatic, which actually made me cry when Bill Murray says "I wonder if it remembers me?"

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #8996 on: March 05, 2022, 09:33:32 AM »
I’m 41 and was super into Wes in high school when seeing Rushmore and then Royal Tenenbaums, but now I cannot stand him and his work. No shade to you guys who dig his stuff. I wish it still hit for me, but none of the behavior in his films resembles real life to me. If a film were a meal, his films would be the most extravagant layered cake that has ever been conceived. And I need variety in my meals. The same cast in the same centered shots with the same affected acting and daddy issues has diminishing returns.

The thing that really got me though is he seems to be a pedo, or at least have pedophile tendencies. And by that I’m talking Moonrise Kingdom. That is some sick shit and I’m kinda shocked he hasn’t been cancelled over it. The shot of a twelve year old girl’s underwear as she enters the tent is suspect AF

And this scene is so telling. This boy is clearly a stand-in for Wes who wishes he got to kiss a lolitaesque 12-year-old with an amazing book collection. 🤮

beandemon

« Reply #8997 on: March 05, 2022, 10:48:32 AM »

Mid 4Os. I  think your point’s valid - his characters and situations are more eccentric and improbable and he’s really got that 2D look and euro/old money feel down. I’ve got to be in the mood, but when I am, his stuff is great. Honestly, the characters in Life Aquatic are those I most identify with, but I think that’s mostly growing up on the natty geo, nature shows and cartoons that were clearly an inspiration.
 At least he hasn’t gotten as megalomaniacal and bloviated as Tarantino.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8998 on: March 05, 2022, 02:07:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is an interesting discussion and I tend to agree with you.  I'm 38 years old.  When I was in high school, I had a way cooler, older girlfriend who had really good taste in movies.  I remember watching Happiness at 17 and having a total wtf moment.

We watched the Royal Tenenbaums before I was 18.  Stayed up with his films and of course had to go back to Rushmore.  I agree with you that his films have turned into more style than substance though.  For me, it was post Darjeeling Ltd.  Almost sort of a "too Wes Anderson for Wes Anderson" sort of way, or like a caricature of his former self.  I loved Moonrise Kingdom though.

My faves are Tenenbaums, Rushmore, and Life Aquatic, which actually made me cry when Bill Murray says "I wonder if it remembers me?"

Exactly how i feel about Darjeeling. There was no real pay off of any kind. Not that there has to be, but it didn’t give you much reason to care about the characters? I dunno. Usual great soundtrack though.

Ah man that scene with Bill and Sigor Ros plus the Helicopter crash did it for me.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1293
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8999 on: March 05, 2022, 05:13:12 PM »
It was interesting seeing the responses and I agree with a lot of the points made. I think his growth was stunted by him not being surrounded by regular people anymore. I think his early work had the charm that only hanging out with eccentrics of Houston and Austin could bring out.

It used to feel like he was poking fun at the overly serious and bored rich people, but it slowly delved into movies those bored rich people would like. I still appreciate the obsession and attention to detail he has to his craft but being impressed without being entertained or challenged is not satisfying.

Also I’m 33 and grew up with his movies post royal tenembaums.