Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937357 times)

Tear Up a Trick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9000 on: March 05, 2022, 06:05:00 PM »
When someone sees the new Batman movie please let us know if it really needs to be three hours long

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #9001 on: March 05, 2022, 06:06:25 PM »
I'm 28 and I'm pretty sure the first of his films I saw was fantastic mr fox and then i dove into his films. Just watched French dispatch and it felt very uneven to me. There were parts that i really enjoyed, but also a few moments that i did not dig. The James Baldwin homage by Jeffrey Wright was cool, i loved Benicio's story and Adrian Brody was hilarious. Frances and tomothee hooking up was very weird, Elizabeth moss was barely used, thought the slogan "the children are grumpy" was way too fucking twee for even my stupid dumb hipster ass. Probably is my least favorite of his films but I'm gonna have to watch it again to fully absorb everything i think about it

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9002 on: March 05, 2022, 06:40:43 PM »
When someone sees the new Batman movie please let us know if it really needs to be three hours long

No, it doesn’t.

The first hour is like a Law and Order/Zodiac procedural. That portion is actually sort of compelling but it’s also ridiculous pacing in an action movie. Murder, collect clues, reflect, murder, clues…3 or 4 times. There’s probably an unnecessary 20 minutes at the end too.

I was not a big fan but everyone else in the theater seemed to like it more than me. I thought Pattinson was decent though.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9003 on: March 06, 2022, 06:58:32 AM »
The Batman was super good

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #9004 on: March 06, 2022, 07:06:16 AM »
The French Dispatch was added to HBOMax last night. Watched it but can't really remember it because I was half awake, but from what I do remember, I loved it. Your typical Wes Anderson film with beautiful settings, eccentric characters, and a pretty good story. Going to rewatch it tonight when I'm actually focused.

TBH I thought it was probably his worst movie.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #9005 on: March 06, 2022, 07:10:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The French Dispatch was added to HBOMax last night. Watched it but can't really remember it because I was half awake, but from what I do remember, I loved it. Your typical Wes Anderson film with beautiful settings, eccentric characters, and a pretty good story. Going to rewatch it tonight when I'm actually focused.
[close]

just finished it earlier--outstanding...admittedly, i love everything he does, and feel like i say this after each new one, but maybe my favorite...i don't know though, i still consider The Royal Tenenbaum's to be his best...maybe...maybe not...
[close]

It’s a toss up between Life Aquatic and Royal Tenebaums for me.

He’s from here, so I’m also partial to Rushmore as a few of the filming locations were here.

I also highly recommend his first one, Bottle Rocket. The rumor was that it didn’t do very well finically, so Owen Wilson almost quit acting to join the marines. Something like that.
[close]

cheers @whitemanjazz

i truly am a believer--i do think that he is one of America's truest auteurs...and Bottle Rocket is up their with the rest of them for me--in fact, over the years, i've had to nerd out on it in here a couple of times...case(s) in point:

I'm a Bottle Rocket truther. I've actually seen all of his movies in order, as they were released, with Bottle Rocket on VHS when I was like 14 or 15 being the only one I didn't see in the theater. It'll probably always be my favorite of his movies. And my top three for him are, probably not coincidentally, all the films cowritten with Owen Wilson.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #9006 on: March 06, 2022, 09:40:12 PM »
Agreed about Bottle Rocket.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #9007 on: March 19, 2022, 12:39:44 PM »
No Way Out
1987 film with Gene Hackman with only 13 days left before leaves Amazon Prime. This thriller got me good

House of Gucci
2021 film with quite a cast: Jeremy Irons, Lady Gaga, Jared Leto, Al Pacino, Adam Driver, Salma Hayek. As a non fashionista who never got into designer brands, I absolutely loved this historical film with a great soundtrack

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9008 on: March 19, 2022, 01:14:07 PM »
Watched Michael Collins for st Patricks and got a little misty eyed when he was shot. Also the croke park scene is so tough to watch. Outside of Julia Roberts, whose accent completely disappears at points in the film, the cast was STACKED. Brendan Gleason, Charles Dance, Ian Hart, Stephen Rea, Alan Rickman, Liams Neesons tho, even Ian McElhenny (who you may know as the grand da from Derry Girls) plays an orangeman Belfast RUC scumbag for a moment. Plus hearing Liam using the cork accent is fantastic. Tiocfaidh ár lá and RIP to the big fella

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #9009 on: March 19, 2022, 01:26:28 PM »
Watched Michael Collins for st Patricks and got a little misty eyed when he was shot. Also the croke park scene is so tough to watch. Outside of Julia Roberts, whose accent completely disappears at points in the film, the cast was STACKED. Brendan Gleason, Charles Dance, Ian Hart, Stephen Rea, Alan Rickman, Liams Neesons tho, even Ian McElhenny (who you may know as the grand da from Derry Girls) plays an orangeman Belfast RUC scumbag for a moment. Plus hearing Liam using the cork accent is fantastic. Tiocfaidh ár lá and RIP to the big fella
If you really want to drain your tear ducts, watch "The Wind That Shakes the Barley". My wife was so fucking pissed at me for making her watch that.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #9010 on: March 22, 2022, 09:40:04 PM »
Tourist Trap. Won’t likely click with most, but this movie (despite some corny 70s elements) is great. Some genuinely freaky moments and with some empathy and imagination the story is spooky.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
« Reply #9011 on: March 25, 2022, 10:04:28 AM »
On the Wes Anderson tip: I feel his true skill is his ability to comment on family dynamics. I'm not a big Tenebaums fan, because although it is obvs about family, It seems to me mostly about the individual quirks of each member, and there were less moments that stood out to me because of the way the characters were affected by, or affected each other in their filial and family relations. As an example, I feel like Rushmore really subtly opens up as a movie because of the dynamic btw the protagonist and his dad, the dad has this kind of humdrum existence and yet he understands life better than his son at least emotionally, even though the kid has this yearning for sophistication and something larger. That's the kind of shit that gets me. Probably why I rank Darjeeling as thee most thought-provoking and fleshed out script, followed by Life Aquatic, or anyway those are the two that have stuck with me the most.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9012 on: March 25, 2022, 10:20:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you really want to drain your tear ducts, watch "The Wind That Shakes the Barley". My wife was so fucking pissed at me for making her watch that.

I've been on the IRA kick still so i watched Maze last night which is about the IRA breakout at Maze prison. Pretty good fairly low budget film

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #9013 on: March 25, 2022, 11:37:55 AM »
Watched Se7en again the other night. 3/4ths way through Licorice Pizza, can't wait to finish it as it's getting really good/funny.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

LebowskisRug

« Reply #9014 on: March 25, 2022, 12:07:12 PM »
I thought French Dispatch was pretty not good.  Too much Wes, thought that it should have been maybe a series of 5 shorts released separately. I liked Grand Budapest actually, thought Moonrise was creepy and frankly boring as all hell. Liked Isle of Dogs. I'm 36 and I feel he got a bit masterbatory with his style and made it more of a focus than the characters or plots.

Pushing 4D

• Rep: 9
« Reply #9015 on: March 25, 2022, 12:35:52 PM »
If anyone is trying to catch up on this year's Oscar Best Picture nominees before the show Sunday night, here are my personal rankings as far as favorites/preferences.  I should add I loved the top 4, thought 5-7 were really good, 8 and 9 I respected but was bored, and mostly disliked 10.

1. Licorice Pizza
2. Dune
3. CODA
4. King Richard
5. Belfast
6. West Side Story
7. Nightmare Alley
8. The Power of the Dog
9. Drive My Car
10. Don't Look Up

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #9016 on: March 25, 2022, 10:07:22 PM »
Rewatched what we do in the shadows for the hundredth time. Still pretty fun.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9017 on: March 25, 2022, 10:45:56 PM »
Rewatched what we do in the shadows for the hundredth time. Still pretty fun.

Modern classic

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9018 on: March 26, 2022, 01:48:06 PM »
it's pretty underrated and easy to miss, but The Paper

here's one of many great scenes

this is one of those movies i watch once a year or so--just kind of feel good in a number of ways, with a great cast. i don't know, my fondness for this flick may also be me getting old...

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #9019 on: March 26, 2022, 08:16:42 PM »
rewatched the 400 blows the other day. so good every time.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #9020 on: March 27, 2022, 11:57:54 PM »
Watching Die Hard for the first time ever right now. I’m all in so far.

Edit:
Just finished. A true masterpiece for the ages. Testosterone replenished. Gonna go fuck my wife.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:52:36 AM by LesbianPUNCH »

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #9021 on: March 28, 2022, 02:09:06 AM »
Watching Die Hard for the first time ever right now. I’m all in so far.

Edit:
Just finished. A true masterpiece for the ages. Testosterone replenished. Gonna go fuck my wife.

I had also never watched it. Then last year had to work Xmas day and we ended up just watching die hard. Didn't disappoint. Good Xmas day.

*I had seen Die Hard with a Vengeance though. That's one of my favourite action films.*
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9022 on: March 30, 2022, 11:15:46 AM »
Took the lady to the theater to watch X last night.

Super good, with some thought provoking meditations on age, sex and violence.  Not Ti West's best work, but I really enjoyed it and it was my first time seeing one of his films in the movie theater.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9023 on: March 30, 2022, 08:17:58 PM »
Watched Blade 2 and I initially had low expectations until I realized it was directed by Guillermo Del Toro.
It’s kind of a dumb film but it’s also very fun and it had great special effects. Most of the over the top gun violence is replaced by Del Toro stylized sci-fi weapons and weirdness but there’s still tons of blood and gore and martial arts fighting like the first one.

((((Spoilers))))
The mutant vampires are so cool and grotesque.
Blade wears his sunglasses all the time even in the dark sewers - which is kind of silly but endearing.
He also develops a crush on a vampire and you get a sense of his detachment and loneliness.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9024 on: March 31, 2022, 12:38:29 PM »
I watched The Wolverine and was quite impressed.
The screenplay was based off of an 80s mini saga by Frank Miller and Chris Claremont that I was obsessed with as a kid. In the 80s there was this moment of ninjafication to most action adventure stuff and I’m not sure how tasteful it all is in retrospect but back in the day I was psyched.
(((SPOLIERS)))
The film moves around the more dated aspects of the original story and increases the sci-fi/technology/supervillain to ninja/Yakuza ratio with some creative additions like Viper and the Silver Samurai as well as a vivid and depiction of the horrific atomic bombing of WW2 Nagasaki setting a tone of sadness, loss and the inherent violence within technology. 
Wolverine is haunted by the death of Jean Grey and is searching for a means to an end to his suffering and the weight of his bleak eternal health and life are pretty interesting. There’s comic relief like when Logan is forced to take a bath in Japan that offsets the heavy mood of transience and loneliness, but there’s also a bunch of over the top violence and over some gore and a nauseating surgery scene.
I was extra stoked they kept in the scenes with the bear hunters and that it stayed fairly true to the comic book.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #9025 on: April 04, 2022, 02:57:43 PM »
Gotta say The Lost City was a fun ass movie with solid consistent laughs throughout

Yu Dum

« Reply #9026 on: April 04, 2022, 03:07:37 PM »
Finally got around to watching Parasite the other night. Such a wild movie from start to finish. Loved the little humorous moments thrown in and how quickly the tone changed. Most likely going in my yearly rotation now.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #9027 on: April 12, 2022, 11:57:34 AM »

Fuck this movie was so damn good I'm about to rewatch it tonight and continue going through all of Michael Hanakes films.  Saw The Seventh Continent and the og Funny Games a couple months ago and loved them but Cache immediately got me restoked on what film can be.

Anyone seen it?

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9028 on: April 15, 2022, 12:23:47 AM »
Just watched "The Falcon and the Snowman".

Good shit. Another fucking Sean Penn banger.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #9029 on: April 15, 2022, 02:53:38 AM »
Silence of the lambs and the crying game.
Both fucking bangers. Funny how un-cinematic some great movies are. Can't imagine people going to the cinema to see things like those in today's star wars marvel DC world.