Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 926198 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9030 on: April 15, 2022, 04:47:26 AM »

Fuck this movie was so damn good I'm about to rewatch it tonight and continue going through all of Michael Hanakes films.  Saw The Seventh Continent and the og Funny Games a couple months ago and loved them but Cache immediately got me restoked on what film can be.

Anyone seen it?

Yeah I love most of Haneke’s movies, Benny’s Video is one of my favorites of his

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #9031 on: April 15, 2022, 06:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote

Fuck this movie was so damn good I'm about to rewatch it tonight and continue going through all of Michael Hanakes films.  Saw The Seventh Continent and the og Funny Games a couple months ago and loved them but Cache immediately got me restoked on what film can be.

Anyone seen it?
[close]

Yeah I love most of Haneke’s movies, Benny’s Video is one of my favorites of his
Gonna check that one out next.

Also watched The White Ribbon and Time of the Wolf, both by him and they were just insane experiences to watch through

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #9032 on: April 15, 2022, 01:58:23 PM »
Tampopo, 1985 movie about a lady opening a Ramen shop. This movie is mouth-watering, and includes (imo) the most exquisitely cooked omelette ever caught on film.

https://youtu.be/0RtXSon0yMw

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #9033 on: April 16, 2022, 02:02:02 AM »
The Boys From Brazil and The L.A Boys.
Boys from Brazil another classic banger. Kinda fun interesting premise not crazy action or anything tho.
You kinda have to take any skate history/doco with a grain of salt but la boys was pretty fun. Definatly helps I like that type of skating. Doesn't go too deep but also doesn't just plain kiss asses for entire duration. Respectful.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9034 on: April 21, 2022, 06:47:49 AM »
City on fire.
Actually it's sort of a so bad it's good. Part of that 70s disaster craze (poseidon adventure, towering inferno, earthquake etc) you'll see a ton of shit blow up and people running way too far while very much on fire making zero effort to stop drop and roll

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9035 on: April 21, 2022, 09:29:49 PM »
The Northman

Hooooooly fucking shit I'm buying tickets to see it again ASAP

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9036 on: April 28, 2022, 04:20:21 AM »
Superfly 2018
Gotta be clear this is another so bad it's good movie altho I genuinely can't tell if it's self aware or not. Saw it first at some random party years ago that basically did a screening for it and was full of people with zero sense of humour so I kinda hated it but now I'll say it's pretty fun, actually moves better than a lot of "proper" movies but its maximum corn.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #9037 on: April 28, 2022, 08:02:26 AM »
I'm not usually a movie guy but Licorice Pizza by Paul Thomas Anderson was the best movie I've seen in a few years

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11271038/

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #9038 on: April 28, 2022, 08:35:53 AM »
Watched the long goodbye the other night. Great 70s neo noir

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #9039 on: April 28, 2022, 08:54:41 AM »
Tampopo, 1985 movie about a lady opening a Ramen shop. This movie is mouth-watering, and includes (imo) the most exquisitely cooked omelette ever caught on film.

i haven't watched a movie in a long ass time, but this trailer made me really want to watch it.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9040 on: April 28, 2022, 08:23:15 PM »

“It’s ok with me…”
The Long Goodbye and McCabe and Mrs Miller are my favorite Altman films.

I just watched Star Trek Into Darkness. Solid sci-fi film with great effects and acting (except Chekhov whose Russian accent and physicality is too cartoonish IMO).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 08:46:28 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #9041 on: April 29, 2022, 02:50:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i haven't watched a movie in a long ass time, but this trailer made me really want to watch it.

Tampopo is possibly my favorite movie of all time. It's beautiful.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #9042 on: April 29, 2022, 03:47:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

“It’s ok with me…”
The Long Goodbye and McCabe and Mrs Miller are my favorite Altman films.

I just watched Star Trek Into Darkness. Solid sci-fi film with great effects and acting (except Chekhov whose Russian accent and physicality is too cartoonish IMO).
That’s funny, that dude is actually Russian.

Watched The Batman tonight. They could have shaved an easy 30 minutes off of it, but it was solid.

aleksander

• Rep: 121
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9043 on: April 30, 2022, 03:49:56 PM »
I watched this and couldn't place who this guy's voice reminded me of, then finally realized he sounds like the Gonz. Don't know if it's an accent or just how people on this wavelength talk, but it was cool

http://youtu.be/7gUh8j5ui0o
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 04:15:01 PM by aleksander »
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9044 on: April 30, 2022, 05:10:23 PM »
Everything Everywhere All at Once was a wild one

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9045 on: April 30, 2022, 07:09:22 PM »
I'm a big Robert Eggers fan and my senior dad is into Vikings/Quest or Saga-type stuff.

Really great "crossover" film for him.  Tons of brutal, one-shot action sequences that were almost bested by these sort of mystic or ritualistic scenes.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oMSdFM12hOw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #9046 on: May 01, 2022, 06:37:03 AM »
Michelle Yeoh doing amazing action sequences at age 50 something is alone with the admission price. Plus I just really liked that movie. It’s like they took the hairbrained huge marvel ideas but actually gave them an emotional core that isn’t just based on nostalgia for action figures. Hard to do but imagine: what if a marvel movie was good lol

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
« Reply #9047 on: May 02, 2022, 09:21:51 AM »
@aleksander art of life, thanks for posting, good watch  Have to say  that was a funny twist at the end with the producers.

Yu Dum

« Reply #9048 on: May 02, 2022, 09:57:05 AM »
Watched Good Time last night. Wild, wild movie. Pretty fucked up in some aspects, but all around a great film. I recommend it as a "one and done" because it fucked with me that much.

Yu Dum

« Reply #9049 on: May 02, 2022, 10:10:19 PM »
Sorry to double post, but just watched Candyman (2021) and it was fucking amazing. Scared me just as much as the original and loved how they expanded on the story of who and what Candyman really is.

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #9050 on: May 03, 2022, 07:06:14 AM »
I watched this and couldn't place who this guy's voice reminded me of, then finally realized he sounds like the Gonz. Don't know if it's an accent or just how people on this wavelength talk, but it was cool

http://youtu.be/7gUh8j5ui0o
The thing that stood out to me the most is how long it took him to decide if he ever feels lonely or not. Like he hadn't even considered it before, pretty amazing. I keep pretty to myself but I have to admit living alone in the jungle could be isolating. But it wouldn't surprise me if he might have a pretty vast social circle when he does go into town.

If you're interested in more of his ideas you can find his YT channel in the comments there. He doesn't post any videos but the things he's subbed to are pretty fascinating.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #9051 on: May 06, 2022, 08:51:08 PM »

I cried at a fucking rock. That movie was so damn good, grown up Data was amazing.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

chris

• Rep: 402
« Reply #9052 on: May 08, 2022, 04:28:20 AM »

It sounds silly, but watching this and Popeye back to back is my preferred version of the Taxi Driver/King of Comedy combo.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9053 on: May 08, 2022, 05:49:12 AM »
Breaking news in Yuba county
Once again not amazing but pretty good. Didn't even know it existed two seconds before i put it on so was a pleasant surprise. Story works, good acting, great pacing, over before it gets boring can't ask for much more of a mid budget film

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9054 on: May 09, 2022, 11:33:03 PM »
I watched "The Proposal" (2009) tonight and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't amazing -- no "My Best Friend's Wedding" or "Brown Sugar" -- but a good love story.

Usually Ryan Reynolds just irritates the shit out of me, but he was pretty subdued in this one. And Sandra Bullock was great as well, when she opens up to Reynolds about her past and the little deets he needs to know about her to pass the immigration interrogation. Beautiful Alaskan setting (tho probably filmed in Canada). Betty White was funny, Mary Steenburgen and Craig T. Nelson were decent.

Also, is this the best Bullock has looked since "Speed"? I think perhaps...

I give it 7 or 7.5 out of 10
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #9055 on: May 10, 2022, 05:54:58 AM »
I watched "The Proposal" (2009) tonight and was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't amazing -- no "My Best Friend's Wedding" or "Brown Sugar" -- but a good love story.

Usually Ryan Reynolds just irritates the shit out of me, but he was pretty subdued in this one. And Sandra Bullock was great as well, when she opens up to Reynolds about her past and the little deets he needs to know about her to pass the immigration interrogation. Beautiful Alaskan setting (tho probably filmed in Canada). Betty White was funny, Mary Steenburgen and Craig T. Nelson were decent.

Also, is this the best Bullock has looked since "Speed"? I think perhaps...

I give it 7 or 7.5 out of 10

In a similar rom com vein, i saw laws of attraction with my mom on mothers day and it is a delightful movie. Julianne Moore and Pierce Brosnan have terrific chemistry together

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9056 on: May 11, 2022, 10:08:46 PM »
I just rewatched Thief from 1981. Scenes like the one in the coffee shop where where James Caan is telling his Joliet prison horror story to Tuesday Weld are so incredibly gripping. The whole movie is well written and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #9057 on: May 11, 2022, 10:45:26 PM »
I just rewatched Thief from 1981. Scenes like the one in the coffee shop where where James Caan is telling his Joliet prison horror story to Tuesday Weld are so incredibly gripping. The whole movie is well written and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Hell yeah it is.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #9058 on: May 11, 2022, 11:20:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hell yeah it is.

Surprised no one's used Confrontation in a video part.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #9059 on: May 11, 2022, 11:25:25 PM »
the matrix and akira are my favorite. nothing like a good sci-fi!