Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925576 times)

funeral_tuxedo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9090 on: May 26, 2022, 12:57:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I saw the conversation recently with my gf and her sister and i was blown away. I think it's Coppola's best work
[close]

He had quite the run there in 70s- early 80s… Godfather 1&2, The Conversation, The Outsiders, Rumble Fish, and Apocalypse Now to name a few.
[close]

The gf hated the godfather so it's unlikely she sees 2 with me, but i can definitely convince her on the others

Rumble Fish is amazing.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #9091 on: May 27, 2022, 08:41:56 AM »
Benny's Video was pretty damn heavy.  Gonna be sad when I have no more Haneke films to watch. Shame I really can't recommend them to anyone I know without ending up looking like a psycho if they actually check them out

Yu Dum

« Reply #9092 on: May 27, 2022, 09:01:49 AM »
Recently rewatched The Exorcist (1973) with my partner the other night. Still just as fucked up as the first time I saw it when I was 13, but still very much a classic, defining film for the horror genre. Don't think I'll end up watching the others, though, as I've never heard good things about them.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #9093 on: May 27, 2022, 09:55:54 AM »
Recently rewatched The Exorcist (1973) with my partner the other night. Still just as fucked up as the first time I saw it when I was 13, but still very much a classic, defining film for the horror genre. Don't think I'll end up watching the others, though, as I've never heard good things about them.
That will always be one of my favorites.  I did the audiobook performed by William Peter Blatty a few years ago and can safely say that it's one movie that was able to capture everything in the book without sacrificing anything of value.  Usually you hear "The book is so much better!" which I'm often guilty of, but not here.  The second one is garbage, so yes avoid that, BUT the third, which is actually based off of Blatty's novel Legion and is good in its own right. From what I understand it technically had no actual affiliation with the exorcist. But when the the rights to the movie were bought I guess the producers wanted to cash in on the notoriety of the exorcist, so they shoe-horned in a bunch of references to the original to make it fit. 

Get hungry on it!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #9094 on: May 27, 2022, 09:59:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That will always be one of my favorites.  I did the audiobook performed by William Peter Blatty a few years ago and can safely say that it's one movie that was able to capture everything in the book without sacrificing anything of value.  Usually you hear "The book is so much better!" which I'm often guilty of, but not here.  The second one is garbage, so yes avoid that, BUT the third, which is actually based off of Blatty's novel Legion and is good in its own right. From what I understand it technically had no actual affiliation with the exorcist. But when the the rights to the movie were bought I guess the producers wanted to cash in on the notoriety of the exorcist, so they shoe-horned in a bunch of references to the original to make it fit.
As crummy as the second one is I will say it's got some interesting visuals. If you like old movie sets, props, effects etc it can be watched and even enjoyed just not so much as a movie

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #9095 on: May 27, 2022, 11:36:19 AM »
I've got to watch all three exorcist films. I've heard the second is funny because it's bad and the third has George c Scott and brad douriff who are both excellent actors

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #9096 on: May 27, 2022, 06:52:06 PM »
Saw Men today. Everybody left the theatre pissed off. I actually laughed when it ended because I could tell how upset people were. No one in the theatre actually understood what the movie was about. I’m honestly not surprised. They literally manufacture morons in this town.
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #9097 on: May 27, 2022, 08:35:09 PM »

The third one is actually pretty solid
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9098 on: May 27, 2022, 09:35:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

agree that the third one is definitely worth watching.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #9099 on: May 28, 2022, 05:38:00 AM »
Rewatched Children of Men last night for the first time in almost ten years. Forgot how good it was.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9100 on: May 28, 2022, 07:51:05 AM »
Saw Men today. Everybody left the theatre pissed off. I actually laughed when it ended because I could tell how upset people were. No one in the theatre actually understood what the movie was about. I’m honestly not surprised. They literally manufacture morons in this town.

Dude, I feel you.  Where I grew up, and moved back to (cough: loser) is a cultural wasteland.  I was surprised that my local theater was even showing X for example.  My gf and I had to drive a bit to see this, and we're both huge Alex Garland fans.  Similar reactions to the audience we were with, but despite being beautifully shot, and fraught with tension, I thought it was Garland's weakest film.  Totally fine!  I keep telling myself "they can't all be winners".  Had a good time at the theater anyways.

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #9101 on: May 28, 2022, 11:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Dude, I feel you.  Where I grew up, and moved back to (cough: loser) is a cultural wasteland.  I was surprised that my local theater was even showing X for example.  My gf and I had to drive a bit to see this, and we're both huge Alex Garland fans.  Similar reactions to the audience we were with, but despite being beautifully shot, and fraught with tension, I thought it was Garland's weakest film.  Totally fine!  I keep telling myself "they can't all be winners".  Had a good time at the theater anyways.

Yeah I would agree with that. It was probably his weakest and it was was still good enough (IMO) that I was glad I went to see it. The lack of dialogue in parts of the movie along with the way it was shot and scored to build tension really made the movie for me.
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9102 on: June 01, 2022, 06:56:42 AM »
Benny's Video was pretty damn heavy.  Gonna be sad when I have no more Haneke films to watch. Shame I really can't recommend them to anyone I know without ending up looking like a psycho if they actually check them out
I just watched Funny Games, followed by Benny's Video and then the Piano Teacher since they're all on HBO Max and people have been talking about them here and I feel like I need therapy now.

Get hungry on it!

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #9103 on: June 01, 2022, 08:35:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

agree that the third one is definitely worth watching.

I third the motion

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9104 on: June 01, 2022, 03:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I just watched Funny Games, followed by Benny's Video and then the Piano Teacher since they're all on HBO Max and people have been talking about them here and I feel like I need therapy now.

I love them but also feel like I need therapy now too haha. Just be sure to give Cache a chance before moving on from Haneke, absolutely worth renting

Yu Dum

« Reply #9105 on: June 02, 2022, 07:41:11 AM »
Rewatched Rain Man for the first time in about 10 years last night. Dustin Hoffman's performance is still brilliant to this day. Fuck Tom Cruise.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9106 on: June 07, 2022, 06:40:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I love them but also feel like I need therapy now too haha. Just be sure to give Cache a chance before moving on from Haneke, absolutely worth renting
Yeah that is definitely on my list.  Since I've been on a foreign language kick I just finished Border and really enjoyed it.  Definitely took some turns I wasn't expecting.
https://youtu.be/QMs28A1s1OA

Get hungry on it!

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #9107 on: June 07, 2022, 11:53:34 PM »
My mom and i just got out of seeing the second downton abbey movie tonight and i thought it was lovely and improved upon themes established in the first film. I hope they keep the story going as i quite enjoyed it and it gives me another excuse to spend time with my mom ❤️
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 08:20:33 AM by DaleSr »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #9108 on: June 08, 2022, 12:22:53 AM »
I saw the conversation recently with my gf and her sister and i was blown away. I think it's Coppola's best work
His run in the 70's is arguably unmatched. Can't think of any other director who had 4 certifiable classics in the same decade, with nothing else.

As for last good movie I saw. Top Gun:Maverick is no cinematic masterpiece but is an amazing popcorn movie to check out in theatre.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9109 on: June 08, 2022, 05:39:05 AM »
Blood
UK crime drama. Stephen Graham, Paul Bettany, mark strong. No big action or anything but a bit of twisty turny with good acting.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 81
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #9110 on: June 08, 2022, 12:52:45 PM »
Just saw Everything Everywhere All at once, what a amazing movie, can't recommend high enough
Cocteau Twins

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9111 on: June 08, 2022, 01:41:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As for last good movie I saw. Top Gun:Maverick is no cinematic masterpiece but is an amazing popcorn movie to check out in theatre.

Watched the OG topgun and then the new one in theaters and I have to say I'm a fuckin topgun fan. Shit was awesome

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #9112 on: June 08, 2022, 02:21:33 PM »
Top Gun: Maverick is amazing. If you want to see classic 80s action with corn ‘n cheese but in a good way go see this. Hot shot pilot who can’t play by the rules makes your eyes roll, but in this you’re pounding your fist and yelling “Maverick gets results you stupid chief!”

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9113 on: June 30, 2022, 01:42:09 AM »
Watching Rumble in the Bronx for the first time in maybe 20 years (at least 18 since I had a VCR) it's every bit as awesome as I remember but now has an extra cheese element I didn't notice as much when I was young that really adds to the entire experience. Def recommend

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #9114 on: July 01, 2022, 12:34:13 AM »
I rewatched Magnolia for the first time in years.
Love that movie.
http://youtu.be/72fDsC2kX7g

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #9115 on: July 05, 2022, 11:48:08 AM »
Freakscene: The Story of Dinosaur Jr

Pretty run of the mill documentary but being a huge Dino Jr fan, I really liked it. Worth checking out.

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #9116 on: July 05, 2022, 03:07:27 PM »
Everything Everywhere all at Once.

At first I was intrigued.
Thirty minutes in I was kind of annoyed.
An hour in I was mad at everyone who told me to watch this movie.
By the end I was crying and loved the shit out of this film.

This film is a psychedelic rollercoaster. At times I was transported back to Michel Gondry’s most sporadic work. Definitely need to watch it again. In the midst of all the Noise and Chaos of this wild ride there are some incredible gems of wisdom and so many cool and fun ideas. I almost wonder if the filmmakers want you to hate the movie at times just so you can’t believe you love it at the end.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9117 on: July 05, 2022, 06:27:32 PM »
watched the card counter the other night. wasn't expecting much but damn did it leave me feeling uncomfortably engaged the whole time.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9118 on: July 05, 2022, 07:21:25 PM »
I watched Bringing Out The Dead last night. It's directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Paul Schrader with an incredible cast. Nic Cage plays a burned out, alcoholic, paramedic in 1990s Hell's Kitchen and his shifts alternate between three driving partners: John Goodman, Ving Rhames, and Tom Sizemore. With each shift Cage and his partners become more emotionally erratic as they navigate a terrifying New York City which absorbs their psychotic perceptions/actions, as well as the psychosis of their patients, without flinching.
One thing about this film that stood out to me was how horrifying human blood could be in the 1990s due to the AIDS crisis and the general confusion of treatment during that time period. The fear of blood and contact is played up in some very intense scenes.
Nic Cage really comes through in this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TMg9WlKgsU
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:49:58 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #9119 on: July 05, 2022, 07:36:36 PM »
Greatest Nicolas Cage scene…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QG_VaTDn9Uk