Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925463 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9180 on: August 02, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »
Expand Quote
i just saw 'theres something about mary' for the first time and tbh i thought it was sick af
[close]

Love that movie! Saw it at a drive-in along with Ever After and a Looney Tunes short. That was a wild choice.

I dunno if they’d make it now, but I’m glad it exists.

“We got a bleeder!!”

“She knew my name!   Some of my best friends didn’t know my name.”

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9181 on: August 02, 2022, 01:31:16 PM »
Rewatched cape fear (the 90s one). Hadn't seen it in a while it's a fuckn ride. The story itself is pretty standard but from a filmmaking perspective all the shots and effects etc are really interesting like redoing the og stuff in the 90s. It's funny when people complain these days about nothing new being made just redoing ideas it's literally always been the case. The 70s was redoing the 40s, 80s the 50s, 90s the 60s (which was already redoing the 30s) and so on and on and on usually pretty close to 30 years

Yeah that “no new ideas” shit really grinds my gears.   

Maltese Falcon was remade 3 times in like less than 10 years.   

Playwrights from Shakespeare’s era were all working/adapting similar pre-existing plays. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 01:43:36 PM by Atiba Applebum »

Mongo_Pusher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #9182 on: August 02, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »
Just watched Faults (2014). Great movie with a small cast and tons of tension. Perfect for fans of cult shit.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #9183 on: August 02, 2022, 08:43:35 PM »
Just saw Bullet Train tonight and have to say it was a fun fucking movie. Basically just an insane cartoon turned live action. Some cheesy humor throughout but its so over the top its just great all the way through

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9184 on: August 02, 2022, 09:39:57 PM »
Just watched Faults (2014). Great movie with a small cast and tons of tension. Perfect for fans of cult shit.

Check out Art of Self Defense.  I think it’s the same director.   Great black comedy

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #9185 on: August 03, 2022, 12:31:59 PM »
Finally got through "Tenet" the other night.

Visually very cool, but I felt like I couldn't hear/follow half the conversations and had no clue what was happening most of the time. Took a few articles to sort it all out.

Can see why it was both very hyped as the theater saver during COVID -- and also a theater dud.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #9186 on: August 03, 2022, 01:39:53 PM »
Watched Paris, Texas for the first time in probably 5 years. It's truly a masterpiece.

I also watched the new Beavis And Butthead movie which was pretty hilarious. I would recommend it for anyone who's a fan.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #9187 on: August 03, 2022, 05:38:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i just saw 'theres something about mary' for the first time and tbh i thought it was sick af
[close]

Love that movie! Saw it at a drive-in along with Ever After and a Looney Tunes short. That was a wild choice.

I dunno if they’d make it now, but I’m glad it exists.

“We got a bleeder!!”
[close]

“She knew my name!   Some of my best friends didn’t know my name.”

“You ever had a whitehead on your eyeball, Mary??”

I think I’m due for a rewatch!

Spyro

• Rep: -2
« Reply #9188 on: August 03, 2022, 08:31:49 PM »
Watched Paris, Texas for the first time in probably 5 years. It's truly a masterpiece.

I also watched the new Beavis And Butthead movie which was pretty hilarious. I would recommend it for anyone who's a fan.

I also highly recommend the new Beavis And Butthead movie. The problem I have with sequels that happen so far apart from each other is the obvious "cash grab" feel they give off. This movie didn't have that. It was hilarious from start to finish, and it really felt fresh. I also loved the modern humor in it. I'm very excited for the new season.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #9189 on: August 03, 2022, 10:27:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Check out Art of Self Defense.  I think it’s the same director.   Great black comedy
Cosigning this.

Last good movie I saw was Cure. First Kiyoshi Kurosawa for me, had Pulse on a watchlist for years but never got around to it.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9190 on: August 04, 2022, 05:43:50 AM »
Haven't seen Curse yet but I absolutely loved Pulse. Gonna move Curse up on my list

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #9191 on: August 04, 2022, 11:26:03 AM »
HBO Max just added Ex Machina and I forgot how much I loved that movie. Oscar Isaac's character is great.

Irvine-Sucks.com

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #9192 on: August 04, 2022, 02:27:04 PM »
I saw Nope, and it's a yep.

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #9193 on: August 04, 2022, 09:02:30 PM »
Just watched “A Night At The Opera.” What a bunch of weirdos. That movie is sick.

Spyro

« Reply #9194 on: August 05, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »
Just watched the prequel to Predator, "Prey" on Hulu. First good Predator movie since the 80's. I give it a solid 8/10. Definitely worth the watch.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9195 on: August 05, 2022, 01:18:40 PM »
HBO Max just added Ex Machina and I forgot how much I loved that movie. Oscar Isaac's character is great.
That scene where they start dancing <3

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #9196 on: August 05, 2022, 03:37:11 PM »
Just watched the prequel to Predator, "Prey" on Hulu. First good Predator movie since the 80's. I give it a solid 8/10. Definitely worth the watch.

Been looking forward to this, and am glad to see it’s getting good reviews.  Gonna make some time to watch it this weekend
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Spyro

« Reply #9197 on: August 05, 2022, 07:39:12 PM »
Not much dialogue and a lottttt of action. Just like it should be.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9198 on: August 08, 2022, 12:01:34 PM »
i'm not sure why they marketed it like this--it's easy to miss consequently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo5IaRnKyFk

excellent story and characters

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #9199 on: August 08, 2022, 09:59:27 PM »
Edge of Tomorrow was pretty sick. Lots of great action.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #9200 on: August 09, 2022, 02:10:19 AM »
Snowtown. Objectively I'd consider it a good movie, portrays rural australia quite well, yet at the same time I'd be pretty happy never watching it again.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9201 on: August 09, 2022, 06:01:39 AM »
Blade 1 and 2 were so fucking cool.  If you've never watched them, give em a watch

wahwahwah

• Rep: -1
« Reply #9202 on: August 09, 2022, 06:10:56 AM »
requiem for a dream was amazing the movie felt almost too realistic and thats why it made me so anxious
Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

gumsole

• Rep: 24
« Reply #9203 on: August 09, 2022, 12:05:59 PM »
watched "they/them" last night cause my lady put it on. Didn't know anything about it or what to expect but was real stoked when Kevin Bacon appeared. I enjoyed it even though the plot kinda got washed out towards the end.

I can also second that the new Predator movie "Prey" is amazing. Such a great concept for that franchise.

Surf The Earth

• Rep: 19
« Reply #9204 on: August 10, 2022, 11:07:40 AM »
Finally watched Dune (2021) last night. I must say I truly LOVED it. I have never seen the original or read the book, but it was a stunning film, and cool story. Interested to see what they do with part two for sure.
Proverbs 27:17

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #9205 on: August 10, 2022, 12:20:15 PM »
Finally got to watch Whiplash last night. Brilliant and intense is all I can say.
JK Simmons' character was such an amazing display of violent perfectionism. His rage felt so real that at one point I felt like I was watching a documentary rather than a movie, and I mean that in the best way possible.
Miles Teller's character progression from gawky, know-nothing kid, to egotistical asshat, to redemption was brilliant as well.
I'm going to keep this one in regular rotation and recommend it to everyone who will listen to me.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
« Reply #9206 on: August 10, 2022, 12:46:30 PM »
I watched Prey 2 days ago, and was very pleasantly surprised. Great mivie, even though some of that shit was a little stupid. I mean, Arnold in his peak had problems killing the Predator, and this girl is holding her own with arrows and shit... But still, a great movie, best one since the original, by far, and Im a fan of the second one.

Also, I watched White Men Cant Jump yesterday, for the first time in like 15 years, what a fun movie. Woody Harelson is amazing.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9207 on: August 11, 2022, 06:12:03 AM »
Edge of Tomorrow was pretty sick. Lots of great action.

Yeah that was one of my favorite like straight up action movies in recent years
Think it kinda flopped even, I know they changed the title after it was released, thinking it would sell better

Recent Movie Theater Recap:

I saw Through a Glass Darkly like last Sunday, it was actually my first time seeing an Ingmar Bergman all the way through, had just seen clips of Seventh Seal up until then
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwu80rk5xds

Tuesday I saw Strangers on a Train. Not my favorite Hitchcock movie, but I love how creepy and subtly unsettling Robert Walker's character (Bruno) is in it. Excited to see Shadow of a Doubt (will be my first time seeing this) later this month, and Vertigo in a few weeks on a theater screen especially.

Seeing Hot Fuzz tonight and The Thing tomorrow night with one of my brothers. Probably most excited for Hot Fuzz cause it's my favorite Edgar Wright movie, but I had no idea who he was when it was originally out, and I've already seen The Thing in a theater before.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #9208 on: August 12, 2022, 04:50:59 AM »
Evil dead 2 (1987)
A classic. Obvious why it's been copied a million times. Some effects look a little bad these days but that's expected with old movie + modern television. Every shot, effect, transition, line of dialogue is exactly what it needs to be. Little cheesy but that's part of the fun.

Mongo_Pusher

• Rep: 1
« Reply #9209 on: August 12, 2022, 10:17:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hell yeah! Def gonna check that one out.