Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937778 times)

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1428
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9390 on: December 20, 2022, 12:51:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just finished the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Fantastic. It rocks that ridley put out a movie making crusaders look venal, cruel and honor less at the height of the Iraq war.

It also rocks that its full of s tier character work guys like Brendan Gleason, Michael Sheen, Alexander Siddig, David Thewlis, Jeremy Irons and Nikolaj Coster Waldau. Edward Norton even sneaks in there acting under a mask and a ton of makeup
[close]

Yes!   The theatrical cut is such a fucking travesty.    Knowing/seeing the Directors Cut is like a code word in my eyes for knowing what’s up
[close]

I can't even imagine what the theatrical cut is like. It doesn't feel like the film is wasting your time at any point even though it's 3 hours long. What segments did they cut originally?
[close]

It’s really hard to remember bc I haven’t seen that version in almost 20 years.   I remember a lot of the prologue in France was chopped way down so that everyone’s relationships didn’t make make sense.   The whole movie was just kinda death by a thousand literal cuts.   

I read that they removed the context around Michael Sheen being a prick and beheading his wife and much of the subplot around Sybilla's son, which I can imagine makes the movie worse.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #9391 on: December 20, 2022, 12:59:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just finished the directors cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Fantastic. It rocks that ridley put out a movie making crusaders look venal, cruel and honor less at the height of the Iraq war.

It also rocks that its full of s tier character work guys like Brendan Gleason, Michael Sheen, Alexander Siddig, David Thewlis, Jeremy Irons and Nikolaj Coster Waldau. Edward Norton even sneaks in there acting under a mask and a ton of makeup
[close]

Yes!   The theatrical cut is such a fucking travesty.    Knowing/seeing the Directors Cut is like a code word in my eyes for knowing what’s up
[close]

I can't even imagine what the theatrical cut is like. It doesn't feel like the film is wasting your time at any point even though it's 3 hours long. What segments did they cut originally?
[close]

It’s really hard to remember bc I haven’t seen that version in almost 20 years.   I remember a lot of the prologue in France was chopped way down so that everyone’s relationships didn’t make make sense.   The whole movie was just kinda death by a thousand literal cuts.   
[close]

I read that they removed the context around Michael Sheen being a prick and beheading his wife and much of the subplot around Sybilla's son, which I can imagine makes the movie worse.

Right especially as that France scene with Sheen informs the main characters whole reason for going on the Crusade

Dale, if you’re In the mood for subtitles, check out Wild Tales (from Chile) from a few years ago.  I think it would be up your alley

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9392 on: December 20, 2022, 05:40:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Right especially as that France scene with Sheen informs the main characters whole reason for going on the Crusade

Dale, if you’re In the mood for subtitles, check out Wild Tales (from Chile) from a few years ago.  I think it would be up your alley

I don't mind subtitles at all. Currently watching Croupier. Dig the euro trash vibes. Reminds me of staying at the Kilford Arms in Kilkenny

itspizzapie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #9393 on: December 22, 2022, 04:14:47 AM »
Jarhead. great movie.

I don't understand why the media critics were mostly lukewarm or negative, probably people expected a full on war hero movie or something. Anyway i loved it. The characters are great, the images are amazing, it's funny but not too funny, i'm glad filmmakers are able to find financing to make movies like that that are going to be risky financially.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9394 on: December 22, 2022, 05:57:33 AM »
Ah man i love Road to Perdition…

I been watching heaps of Korean shows/films on Netflix (thanks j………… soy…..) this was a fun watch…
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9395 on: December 22, 2022, 07:11:49 AM »
Ah man i love Road to Perdition…

I been watching heaps of Korean shows/films on Netflix (thanks j………… soy…..) this was a fun watch…

i loved Road to Perdition too--incredible story and acting

unrelated, i'm looking forward to seeing the new film version of DeLillo's White Noise--looks good. ironically enough, it's one of the novels i have assigned in a "Literature and Art" class i'm teaching next semester...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9396 on: December 22, 2022, 08:12:41 AM »
White Noise is good and pretty faithful to the novel.  The ending is slightly tweaked from the book but in a way that works.   I do wonder how broad audiences will take to the first third of it (the ultra-specific satire of liberal arts academia), but I had a good time. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9397 on: December 22, 2022, 08:15:26 AM »
Anyone see the Fabelmans?   For anyone who didn’t know anything about Spielberg, it will be interesting for them to watch this and then go back to 70s and 80s Spielberg and see him processing his father in Close Encounters, Last Crusade etc

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9398 on: December 22, 2022, 08:52:43 AM »
White Noise is good and pretty faithful to the novel.  The ending is slightly tweaked from the book but in a way that works.   I do wonder how broad audiences will take to the first third of it (the ultra-specific satire of liberal arts academia), but I had a good time.

i appreciate this.

i've read it a number of times, but not recently--i have about two and a half weeks to plan and prepare this class, so i'm hoping to re-read it before the semester begins. and i can't wait to see the cinematic rendering of DeLillo's "ultra-specific satire of liberal arts academia," because despite being stoked about my own work and teaching, i'm over the "field" i'm in right now...

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #9399 on: December 23, 2022, 09:08:19 AM »
Raging Bull

Got the Hustler and Godfather 3 on deck to watch next.
Never saw em.

Comment below about how I should just skip godfather 3

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9400 on: December 23, 2022, 09:39:29 AM »
Raging Bull

Never saw em.

Mmm maybe try the cut Coppola released a year or two ago.   Felt like a better experience.   

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #9401 on: December 23, 2022, 12:58:18 PM »
Raging Bull

Never saw em.

We started the Godfather Epic last night. My wife says we're stopping after the II ends, but I'll probably finish it all without her. Only 7 more hours to go...

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #9402 on: December 23, 2022, 09:19:03 PM »
The last good movie I watched was Star Wars: The Force awakens. I am a great fan of star wars series. In fact, it is one of the greatest sci fi. series ever produced with great storyline and commendable cast. I recently bought a cyan saber used by Darth Vader in this movie. I have collected many graflex lightsabers of different characters. I would definitely recommend this movie to you all.

Is AI out here spamming for dumb fucking lightsabers toys?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9403 on: December 23, 2022, 10:52:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Raging Bull

Never saw em.

[close]

Mmm maybe try the cut Coppola released a year or two ago.   Felt like a better experience.   
I have a long and bummy history with that movie (I saw it opening day Christmas 1990) and I am a big fan of The Godfather Coda aka the recut Part III. The movie finally make sense. There's one exposition dump at the beginning of the recut that helps bring the whole story into focus. The OG cut is pretty hard to follow but full of Coppola in operatic mode (literally in this case) so it's compelling as hell but I never felt like it was a good movie after I got done watching it. The new cut just straight up uses better takes a lot of the time too. The conversation between Michael and Kate in the beginning at the party is the same dialogue but they used some different takes and line readings so the meaning of the scene changes dramatically.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9404 on: December 23, 2022, 11:20:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Raging Bull

Never saw em.

[close]

[close]
I have a long and bummy history with that movie (I saw it opening day Christmas 1990) and I am a big fan of The Godfather Coda aka the recut Part III. The movie finally make sense. There's one exposition dump at the beginning of the recut that helps bring the whole story into focus. The OG cut is pretty hard to follow but full of Coppola in operatic mode (literally in this case) so it's compelling as hell but I never felt like it was a good movie after I got done watching it. The new cut just straight up uses better takes a lot of the time too. The conversation between Michael and Kate in the beginning at the party is the same dialogue but they used some different takes and line readings so the meaning of the scene changes dramatically.

I just get a kick out of Andy Garcia watching the opera and being stoked a character uses the same violent move he did earlier in the movie

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #9405 on: December 24, 2022, 12:28:57 AM »
I'm doing a deep dive on Barbara Stanwyck movies. The older ones seem to be all highly rated. Also late to the Marx Brothers after watching A Night at the Opera. Still holds up to me. I'm seriously interested in a much younger audience take on it. Them dudes were funny.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9406 on: December 24, 2022, 12:49:33 AM »
This YT page has a bunch of good movie commentaries, just watched one of my fav Rankin/Bass Xmas specials narrated by an animation historian

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #9407 on: December 24, 2022, 02:26:00 AM »
Glass onion
Was mostly pretty good. Had a lot of disappointing crime thriller/detective/who dun it type movies over the last few years so was prepared for the worst but it's good. Can't say much without spoiling really but if you like that sort of thing it's worth watching. Prob one of the best things Netflix has ever made.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9408 on: December 24, 2022, 11:22:29 AM »
I'm doing a deep dive on Barbara Stanwyck movies. The older ones seem to be all highly rated. Also late to the Marx Brothers after watching A Night at the Opera. Still holds up to me. I'm seriously interested in a much younger audience take on it. Them dudes were funny.

Love Barbara's on screen work. She was so fun. My fiance is obsessed with her

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #9409 on: December 24, 2022, 11:37:18 AM »
Revisited this cult-masterpiece. Mike Schank is a legend, RIP.

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #9410 on: December 24, 2022, 11:51:36 AM »

Gonna have to check that out…

Waiting for Guffman is free on YT… mockumentary in the same vein as Best In Show etc (same director i think)

Pretty hilarious
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9411 on: December 24, 2022, 12:14:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gonna have to check that out…

Waiting for Guffman is free on YT… mockumentary in the same vein as Best In Show etc (same director i think)

Pretty hilarious

That fukn everybody needs a stool stool song has been stuck in my head for twenty years lol. A mighty wind is another good one in the "series" that doesn't get brought up as much as best in show, spinal tap etc

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9412 on: December 25, 2022, 10:06:52 AM »
The Silent Partner

Christmas bank robbery movie, really enjoyable & has some surprisingly gnarly parts

Reminds me a bit of a Coen bros. movie in some ways, guy tries to pull one over & gets in over his head when things don't go as planned

Also stars Elliott Gould +

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #9413 on: December 25, 2022, 11:52:18 AM »
^been on my watchlist for ages.

Been watching some classics this holiday weekend:
Fallen Angels
A Christmas Story
American Psycho
Persona
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Eyes Wide Shut

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9414 on: December 25, 2022, 02:48:04 PM »
Cannibal the musical. It's crappy but good.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #9415 on: December 25, 2022, 06:27:01 PM »

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9416 on: December 25, 2022, 09:06:31 PM »
Watched Triangle of Sadness with my partner tonight.  I have a great elevator pitch for it, but don't want to spoil anything.  Great commentary on classism.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #9417 on: December 26, 2022, 06:48:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Raging Bull

Never saw em.

[close]

Noted. I put it on hold.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1159
  • old and in the way
« Reply #9418 on: December 26, 2022, 09:35:37 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9419 on: December 26, 2022, 10:31:35 PM »
Wrong crowd for this:

Avatar 2 blew me away.   Still have issues with high frame rate sequences, but it’s been a long time since I’ve watched a movie and didn’t think about it from a technical standpoint whilst watching it.   Just bought the ticket and took the ride