Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937866 times)

Hevonen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9450 on: January 06, 2023, 08:52:43 AM »
Anyone remember the name of a french movie where some girl tries to get into some piano school but at the audition the teacher is rude so she messes up the audition and gets rejected. Then the girl later becomes a maid for the teacher that doesn't remember her and she starts to ruin their lives.

Saw it like 15 years ago and thought it was pretty good but don't remember the name.

Also watched lord of war and last king of Scotland and both are really good movies. Or actually in king of Scotland the guy is kind of annoyingly stupid the whole time, but aside from that the suspense is good and Forrest Whitaker does a great job

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #9451 on: January 06, 2023, 09:23:47 AM »
Anyone remember the name of a french movie where some girl tries to get into some piano school but at the audition the teacher is rude so she messes up the audition and gets rejected. Then the girl later becomes a maid for the teacher that doesn't remember her and she starts to ruin their lives.

Saw it like 15 years ago and thought it was pretty good but don't remember the name.

Also watched lord of war and last king of Scotland and both are really good movies. Or actually in king of Scotland the guy is kind of annoyingly stupid the whole time, but aside from that the suspense is good and Forrest Whitaker does a great job
The Page Turner
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-page-turner/

The Lair of the White Worm was ridiculous and awesome.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #9452 on: January 06, 2023, 09:57:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
The Page Turner
https://letterboxd.com/film/the-page-turner/

The Lair of the White Worm was ridiculous and awesome.

Thank you!

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #9453 on: January 06, 2023, 10:57:11 AM »
The Menu was pretty fuckin dope

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #9454 on: January 06, 2023, 12:39:40 PM »
I watched searching for sugarman again last night and wow, what an impactful story. Rodriguez is one of my all time favorites and this doc only reinforces that. I can’t recommend this enough.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2125608/

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9455 on: January 06, 2023, 01:05:15 PM »
im watching this place rules right now .. perfect day for it
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9456 on: January 06, 2023, 02:02:03 PM »
Didn't think This Place Rules really dug into anything new or had a cohesive thesis really, but it's always fun watching weirdos and I like the guy so I enjoyed it anyway

SICK OF MYSELF (2022)

Such a fucked movie.

Here's the link to the trailer:

This looks good. Is it online anywhere yet or you saw it in a theater?

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #9457 on: January 07, 2023, 02:15:45 PM »

Pretty damn entertaining. Not spoiling anything for anyone, but the scene when they brought out the marshmallows made me laugh out loud.

Irvine-Sucks.com

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9458 on: January 08, 2023, 08:45:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty damn entertaining. Not spoiling anything for anyone, but the scene when they brought out the marshmallows made me laugh out loud.

Third-ed.  Although, it has to be the least intriguing role I've seen Anya Taylor Joy.  She's still bae though, and the movie was super fun.

dazza

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9459 on: January 08, 2023, 02:33:20 PM »
Finally watched Repo Man. Was a bit high. Was absolutely hilarious - and hypnotic in a way.

JeremyScottofChapman

• Rep: -21
« Reply #9460 on: January 08, 2023, 05:09:14 PM »
Didn't think This Place Rules really dug into anything new or had a cohesive thesis really, but it's always fun watching weirdos and I like the guy so I enjoyed it anyway

Expand Quote
SICK OF MYSELF (2022)

Such a fucked movie.

[close]

This looks good. Is it online anywhere yet or you saw it in a theater?

Couldn’t find it anywhere online when I looked. But my buddy sent me the file of it. If you wanna message me your email I can send it.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 645
« Reply #9461 on: January 08, 2023, 05:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Third-ed.  Although, it has to be the least intriguing role I've seen Anya Taylor Joy.  She's still bae though, and the movie was super fun.
I'll fourth this. I don't know what I was expecting with the Menu but it blew all my expectations out of the water. The chef and Anya Taylor Joy's characters were both amazing.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1188
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9462 on: January 08, 2023, 05:40:38 PM »
Just watched Das Boot twice in a week.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9463 on: January 09, 2023, 05:58:24 PM »
Watched this again yesterday

Love this doc, it's on Prime

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #9464 on: January 10, 2023, 04:07:08 AM »
Elephant (2003)
It's good but a bummer. Don't think Ive seen it since it came out which weirdly we may have actually watched at school. It's tense, pretty well acted for amatures, nice little time capsule of early 00s, well shot and paced.

Random thought: why the fuck is there a shower scene in this movie. It's for like ten seconds but there was no need to have a nude woman for one shot

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #9465 on: January 10, 2023, 04:10:34 AM »
Elephant (2003)
It's good but a bummer. Don't think Ive seen it since it came out which weirdly we may have actually watched at school. It's tense, pretty well acted for amatures, nice little time capsule of early 00s, well shot and paced.

Random thought: why the fuck is there a shower scene in this movie. It's for like ten seconds but there was no need to have a nude woman for one shot

What made you want to watch a re-enactment of Columbine?    I’ll just assume you’re doing a marathon of all the movies the kid who played Peralta in Lords of Dogtown was in

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9466 on: January 10, 2023, 04:28:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Elephant (2003)

[close]

What made you want to watch a re-enactment of Columbine?    I’ll just assume you’re doing a marathon of all the movies the kid who played Peralta in Lords of Dogtown was in
It just happened to start one minute after I turned on the tv. That simple. Noticed the Stacy Peralta kids maybe wearing Jamie Thomas circas so there's that too

Also wonder how somebody would react if they didn't know what it was about. Altho I guess in today's world if youre watching a movie set in a high school wondering what it's about and waiting for the drama to start it's the first thing your brain thinks of

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9467 on: January 10, 2023, 05:14:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Elephant (2003)

[close]

[close]
It just happened to start one minute after I turned on the tv. That simple. Noticed the Stacy Peralta kids maybe wearing Jamie Thomas circas so there's that too

Also wonder how somebody would react if they didn't know what it was about. Altho I guess in today's world if youre watching a movie set in a high school wondering what it's about and waiting for the drama to start it's the first thing your brain thinks of

Hah fair enough.   I think We Need to Talk About Kevin has kinda replaced it as the definitive school massacre movie if only because the title is “stickier”

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1428
« Reply #9468 on: January 10, 2023, 06:10:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Elephant (2003)

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hah fair enough.   I think We Need to Talk About Kevin has kinda replaced it as the definitive school massacre movie if only because the title is “stickier”

Talk about a movie that I think is good and will never fucking watch again

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9469 on: January 10, 2023, 06:32:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Elephant (2003)

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Once every twenty or so years is fine. It actually took a couple mins before I remembered what elephant was (which is why I wondered how someone would react etc)
We need to talk about Kevin I actually saw with my mum at the movies which wasn't exactly a great experience lol specifically remember a scene where the mother walks in on the son masturbating and he just stared her down so that was cool...

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #9470 on: January 10, 2023, 06:49:59 AM »
SICK OF MYSELF (2022)

Such a fucked movie.

Shit looks boss
I will Personally Manscape you if you send this to me.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9471 on: January 10, 2023, 07:59:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Elephant (2003)

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Once every twenty or so years is fine. It actually took a couple mins before I remembered what elephant was (which is why I wondered how someone would react etc)
We need to talk about Kevin I actually saw with my mum at the movies which wasn't exactly a great experience lol specifically remember a scene where the mother walks in on the son masturbating and he just stared her down so that was cool...

Ultra frightening because it's some shit that I could see Ezra Miller actually doing irl

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9472 on: January 10, 2023, 08:04:14 AM »
Banshees of Inisherin was hilarious and fantastic…finally got around to it.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9473 on: January 10, 2023, 08:27:55 AM »

Hahahah right on cue.    Every 10 days, a new poster gets around to it

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9474 on: January 10, 2023, 01:53:29 PM »

Loved this too!  Super funny, love the irish slang, but it still pulled at the heart throughout.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9475 on: January 10, 2023, 11:03:32 PM »
Woof really enjoyed the Whale.   Enjoyed seems the wrong verb to use, but it thankfully wasn’t exploitive or gawky about the condition of its main character.   

Scary alternate reality where Tom Ford directed James Corden in it.    Tom Ford is definitely an amazing director, but I don’t know if it would feel good having someone so ensconced in the fashion world tackling an obese subject (and Corden is all wrong for it)

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 117
« Reply #9476 on: January 11, 2023, 08:28:53 PM »
Woof really enjoyed the Whale.   Enjoyed seems the wrong verb to use, but it thankfully wasn’t exploitive or gawky about the condition of its main character.   

Scary alternate reality where Tom Ford directed James Corden in it.    Tom Ford is definitely an amazing director, but I don’t know if it would feel good having someone so ensconced in the fashion world tackling an obese subject (and Corden is all wrong for it)

That opening scene in Nocturnal Animals tackled it pretty well, I’d say.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #9477 on: January 18, 2023, 11:47:11 AM »
Boiling Point was really good. When you consider it was truly done in one single 1 hr 30 min take with no trick cuts, it's fucking unbelievable.  Recommend for anyone who appreciates commercial restaurants

But holy fuck it was not the movie I needed last night after eating an edible lol. The movie is all about a night in the life of a chef who's slacking behind on his duty and all these fuck ups start happening across the kitchen/team and it's one big downward spiral. I've been hating my job lately and feel like this is my future if I stick with it for another decade. Perhaps it'll be the slap in the face wake up I need to find something better ASAP

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9478 on: January 18, 2023, 01:06:07 PM »
Boiling Point was really good. When you consider it was truly done in one single 1 hr 30 min take with no trick cuts, it's fucking unbelievable.  Recommend for anyone who appreciates commercial restaurants

But holy fuck it was not the movie I needed last night after eating an edible lol. The movie is all about a night in the life of a chef who's slacking behind on his duty and all these fuck ups start happening across the kitchen/team and it's one big downward spiral. I've been hating my job lately and feel like this is my future if I stick with it for another decade. Perhaps it'll be the slap in the face wake up I need to find something better ASAP

Fuck I finally escaped working 60hrs a week and I think I may have to go back to moonlighting at a restaurant to get some more money. Back into the descent into Dantes inferno

borats cat

• Rep: -20
« Reply #9479 on: January 18, 2023, 01:20:49 PM »

yo, how much a chef make?
you ever see the slammin salmon? that made me never wanna work in a restaurant. waiting was bad too.