Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937876 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9480 on: January 18, 2023, 02:16:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Boiling Point was really good. When you consider it was truly done in one single 1 hr 30 min take with no trick cuts, it's fucking unbelievable.  Recommend for anyone who appreciates commercial restaurants

But holy fuck it was not the movie I needed last night after eating an edible lol. The movie is all about a night in the life of a chef who's slacking behind on his duty and all these fuck ups start happening across the kitchen/team and it's one big downward spiral. I've been hating my job lately and feel like this is my future if I stick with it for another decade. Perhaps it'll be the slap in the face wake up I need to find something better ASAP
[close]
yo, how much a chef make?
you ever see the slammin salmon? that made me never wanna work in a restaurant. waiting was bad too.

Should've clarified, I'm not a chef and the movie just felt metaphorically like it was my future in a decade if i stick with my current job. Letting shit slip cause idc and eventually causing an absolute nightmare that spreads far beyond my personal responsibilities

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #9481 on: January 23, 2023, 11:26:44 AM »
I finally watched Parasite last night. Great movie

sprained_ankle

• Rep: -12
« Reply #9482 on: January 25, 2023, 11:53:46 PM »

Watched Good Will Hunting again. So good, especially a movie from 25 years ago.
hi,am new here

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #9483 on: January 26, 2023, 12:23:36 AM »
Mrs Harris Goes to Paris.   Best film about class conflict this past year

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #9484 on: January 26, 2023, 01:36:34 AM »

Literally so good. My fiance, my mom and i watched it and we all loved it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9485 on: January 26, 2023, 02:18:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You guys might all enjoy “See How They Run” which came out last year.   Fun English period murder mystery with Sam Rockewell.   Not a brimful of charm like Mrs Harris, but if winning English movies do it for you, it’ll scratch that itch

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9486 on: January 26, 2023, 08:57:19 AM »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9487 on: January 26, 2023, 07:30:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You guys might all enjoy “See How They Run” which came out last year.   Fun English period murder mystery with Sam Rockewell.   Not a brimful of charm like Mrs Harris, but if winning English movies do it for you, it’ll scratch that itch

I also watched that recently and i enjoyed it as well. Agree with it not having a big golden heart like Mrs Harris

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9488 on: January 27, 2023, 04:39:51 PM »
We haven’t had a new viewer of Banshees if Inishirin in a bit.   Maybe I can tempt some people by mentioning that literally every actor with more than two lines got an Oscar nomination.   

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9489 on: January 27, 2023, 09:17:28 PM »
We haven’t had a new viewer of Banshees if Inishirin in a bit.   Maybe I can tempt some people by mentioning that literally every actor with more than two lines got an Oscar nomination.   
Does it count if it's on a short list on a notepad doc on my desktop? I'm about to try to plow through a handful of Oscar noms this next week.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9490 on: January 27, 2023, 11:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Does it count if it's on a short list on a notepad doc on my desktop? I'm about to try to plow through a handful of Oscar noms this next week.

You should move it to the top of your queue immediately

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9491 on: January 28, 2023, 10:17:53 PM »
Rewatched Tampopo tonight and god damn that movie is fun.

But man those food sex scenes are tough to watch with your mom lol

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
« Reply #9492 on: January 28, 2023, 11:59:25 PM »

best omelette scene, I try to acheive it every morning

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #9493 on: January 29, 2023, 12:53:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Get something in my eye every time the homeless chefs sing Aogeba tōtoshi.

Speaking of getting misty-eyed, Aftersun. Holy moly. Shared top spot of 2022 with The Banshees of Inisherin.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9494 on: January 29, 2023, 01:29:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Get something in my eye every time the homeless chefs sing Aogeba tōtoshi.

Speaking of getting misty-eyed, Aftersun. Holy moly. Shared top spot of 2022 with The Banshees of Inisherin.

Like your Sorcerer avatar.   Everyone should see that.   Victim of opening the week before Star Wars.   My local bank has a painted Hollywood mural of the Blvd in the 70s and it’s on the marquee on the Chinese Theater which I love

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9495 on: January 29, 2023, 06:34:32 AM »
Tar was everything I should have been bored by but I was in the whole way through. I think I can watch Cate Blanchett do anything. She is very captivating to me.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #9496 on: January 29, 2023, 09:49:48 AM »

Good reminder. Have had it on the list for a while now and forgot about it. I absolutely fucked up my back skiing a few days ago and am mainly having to sit or lay low, so I have no excuse not to watch it.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9497 on: January 29, 2023, 09:59:49 AM »

Im gonna watch it in theaters later today. Injured atm so going to see a movie is a nice time kill

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9498 on: January 29, 2023, 01:36:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Im gonna watch it in theaters later today. Injured atm so going to see a movie is a nice time kill

Very happy to hear you’re seeing it in theaters!

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9499 on: January 29, 2023, 07:17:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Very happy to hear you’re seeing it in theaters!

Saw it, loved it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9500 on: January 29, 2023, 08:55:49 PM »
You People was a great laugh but if you find Jonah Hills current style/Fairfax upsetting, it might not be for you

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #9501 on: January 30, 2023, 07:41:12 PM »

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9502 on: January 31, 2023, 09:42:35 PM »
Anyone ever watch Dekalog? Technically a 10 part mini series that tells individual stories around an apartment complex with each story based on one of the 10 commandments, but not in a forced religious way.

Anyway so far 3 films in but it's fucking awesome

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9503 on: January 31, 2023, 10:00:07 PM »
Anyone ever watch Dekalog? Technically a 10 part mini series that tells individual stories around an apartment complex with each story based on one of the 10 commandments, but not in a forced religious way.

I haven’t but in grad school/conservatory they made everyone in “orientation” film the same same script pages from one or two of the movies

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1243
« Reply #9504 on: February 01, 2023, 08:41:35 AM »

caught bad taste last night, midway through i was thinking shit, this flick is suspiciously close in style to dead alive

yeah duh peter jackson directed both

plenty of blood squirts, puke, gore in a semi over-the-top-but-not-quite-troma-manner

anywho it was streaming on cathode cinema, which i urge you all to check out
its free and its properly curated

cathodetv.com

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9505 on: February 02, 2023, 06:37:58 AM »
I really fucking enjoyed Infinity Pool by Brandon Cronenberg.  Not a perfect movie but nonetheless can't wait to rewatch later

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9506 on: February 02, 2023, 02:36:11 PM »

Your post got me to find a torrent. It's not available on streaming in the US right now. I think either you or someone else mentioned it here recently and got me to look around for it. I caught the tail end of his career with Three Colors and it was weird and sad that he died during the release of that. I did just watch Blue again on HBO Max and it's still beautiful. A really great movie about grief.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9507 on: February 02, 2023, 02:56:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Your post got me to find a torrent. It's not available on streaming in the US right now. I think either you or someone else mentioned it here recently and got me to look around for it. I caught the tail end of his career with Three Colors and it was weird and sad that he died during the release of that. I did just watch Blue again on HBO Max and it's still beautiful. A really great movie about grief.

Yeah I mentioned getting the criterion as a Xmas gift and slowly working through it.  Super stoked to check out the three colors trilogy after this but after 10 hours we'll see if I rush into more of his world lol. Good heavy stuff

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9508 on: February 02, 2023, 03:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah I mentioned getting the criterion as a Xmas gift and slowly working through it.  Super stoked to check out the three colors trilogy after this but after 10 hours we'll see if I rush into more of his world lol. Good heavy stuff
There's a pretty dramatic stylistic shift when he starts making Polish/French co-productions. Color and music become more of a focus and there are a bunch of set pieces that I just don't think he had the budget or the crew to pull off in Poland. The only movies from this phase are The Double Life of Veronique and then Three Colors though unfortunately. It's weird; they are just as serious and mostly sad but they have a different feel. White is so sad that it straight up turns into a comedy.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9509 on: February 02, 2023, 06:16:59 PM »
Watched the wild bunch last night. What a gross, violent film. I loved it. The moment they all decide, "fuck this we're getting angel back" and they cruise over to mapache to set shit off is so rad. Just an orgy of violence