Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937951 times)

ridethegutter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 62
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9570 on: March 02, 2023, 05:13:07 PM »
I just watched Cocaine Bear. Pretty solid for a slasher type movie.

apport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #9571 on: March 03, 2023, 04:52:01 AM »
Expand Quote
This one seems to be pretty divisive, but my partner and I watched The Menu last night and we loved it. I'm usually pretty good about being able to pick up on and call what twist is coming, but I couldn't do it with this one. I need to rewatch it soon to really take it all in.
[close]

I honestly thought they were gonna be vampires or cannibals.

Also my fiance and i watched black narcissus last night and wow. Some of the best set design I've ever seen. Blown away that it was mostly filmed on a sound stage
matte paintings are so trippy, pure movie magic

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9572 on: March 03, 2023, 06:38:29 AM »
Nobody

Before that it was Bullet Train.

I love a good jabroni movie.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #9573 on: March 03, 2023, 06:52:42 AM »
Carnal Knowledge was a great watch. Young Jack Nicholson and Art Garfunkel chasing bitches

Blind Fisherman

« Reply #9574 on: March 03, 2023, 06:58:39 AM »
Expand Quote
This one seems to be pretty divisive, but my partner and I watched The Menu last night and we loved it. I'm usually pretty good about being able to pick up on and call what twist is coming, but I couldn't do it with this one. I need to rewatch it soon to really take it all in.
[close]

Also my fiance and i watched black narcissus last night and wow. Some of the best set design I've ever seen. Blown away that it was mostly filmed on a sound stage
Yeah, I thought the same re: The Menu. I'm glad they didn't go that route whatsoever. It made the "big reveal" that much more shocking.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #9575 on: March 06, 2023, 03:18:56 PM »
Dinner Rush

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1401
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9576 on: March 06, 2023, 03:54:39 PM »
mostly been off the internet/media/streaming since October. Me and the old lady have taken to watching a good movie on Friday and Saturday nights. Was on a Paul Newman kick for a minute. dude was an excellent actor and you're able to see his early theater background in his roles. The Sting was a flick that had me bugging til the end.

Kurosawa's 7 samurai is excellent. It's obviously got some Ford/Hollywood Western inspiration going on, but it's done so much better. Angles in the filming are intriguing. What's more was that the film was dropped 9 years after the A-bombs. I think that says something about the potency of Kurosawa.

Gotta throw in Lady Snowblood as well. Damn. Never have I seen the Kill Bill movies and I'm not sure I need to at this point as Snowblood was off the hook
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #9577 on: March 06, 2023, 05:17:46 PM »
The Menu goes hardddd

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #9578 on: March 06, 2023, 05:24:17 PM »
mostly been off the internet/media/streaming since October. Me and the old lady have taken to watching a good movie on Friday and Saturday nights. Was on a Paul Newman kick for a minute. dude was an excellent actor and you're able to see his early theater background in his roles. The Sting was a flick that had me bugging til the end.

Kurosawa's 7 samurai is excellent. It's obviously got some Ford/Hollywood Western inspiration going on, but it's done so much better. Angles in the filming are intriguing. What's more was that the film was dropped 9 years after the A-bombs. I think that says something about the potency of Kurosawa.

Gotta throw in Lady Snowblood as well. Damn. Never have I seen the Kill Bill movies and I'm not sure I need to at this point as Snowblood was off the hook

Seven Samurai is impressive because it spawned both the Magnificent 7 line of movies and the spoof version (3 Amigos, Galaxy Quest, Bugs Life)

Also that it’s a 3 hour movie that doesn’t spend one second developing an individual antagonist, but you don’t really need it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #9579 on: March 06, 2023, 08:57:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seven Samurai is impressive because it spawned both the Magnificent 7 line of movies and the spoof version (3 Amigos, Galaxy Quest, Bugs Life)

Also that it’s a 3 hour movie that doesn’t spend one second developing an individual antagonist, but you don’t really need it.
Always have to throw in line wolf and cub series when someone brings up lady snowblood. It's 6 movies (+ a horrible American version that's basically just a clip show called Shogun assassin which isn't worth watching) def on the cheesier side but still really fukn good. Hanzo the razor too but that's got a sex element to it which might not be quite what you're after

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9580 on: March 06, 2023, 09:06:13 PM »
Dinner Rush

Thanks for posting this, can't wait to check it out. Boiling Point and The Menu got me loving kitchen films. Such a perfect atmosphere for great stories to take place

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9581 on: March 06, 2023, 09:17:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Always have to throw in line wolf and cub series when someone brings up lady snowblood. It's 6 movies (+ a horrible American version that's basically just a clip show called Shogun assassin which isn't worth watching) def on the cheesier side but still really fukn good. Hanzo the razor too but that's got a sex element to it which might not be quite what you're after

I was walking in downtown LA and there was a marquee advertising a kung fu movie revival straight out of Tarantino/True Romance, but as I looked into it I found out it was just set dressing left up from a shoot

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9582 on: March 07, 2023, 09:31:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Lone wolf and cub is alright. I feel like acting isnt as good as snowblood. Less creative I guess is the easiest way to say it

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #9583 on: March 08, 2023, 08:53:31 AM »
I watched Licorice Pizza last night. And as others have pointed out in this thread, it was superb. One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. It's currently available on Prime.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9584 on: March 09, 2023, 10:54:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
matte paintings are so trippy, pure movie magic
Man those Powell/Pressberger movies are all so great looking. I really love A Matter of Life and Death aka Stairway to Heaven
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

slimvanilla

« Reply #9585 on: March 09, 2023, 11:23:38 AM »
finally watched Birdman last week. extremely well done and the acting was superb. messaging also feels even more relevant today as the need for constant validation and purpose continues to consume society

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #9586 on: March 09, 2023, 10:28:53 PM »
Saw Banshees of Inisherin…..maybe not as good some of the reviews but enjoyed it….to me it sort of reminds me of a lot of relationships dudes have where you become more than codependent…

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #9587 on: March 09, 2023, 10:58:34 PM »
The Passion Of The Christ was a good depiction of how awfully brutal humanity is at it's very core. Acting was outstanding and the story and plot had me rivited even though I knew how it was going to end. I felt like I was being placed in the shoes of Christ to bare witness to the injustice and foul play of the heathens.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9588 on: March 09, 2023, 11:06:56 PM »
The Passion Of The Christ was a good depiction of how awfully brutal humanity is at it's very core. Acting was outstanding and the story and plot had me rivited even though I knew how it was going to end. I felt like I was being placed in the shoes of Christ to bare witness to the injustice and foul play of the heathens.

You didn’t want to wait a month and watch that 15 year old movie on an appropriate day ?

Women Talking free on Prime, Living now available to rent.   The two under appreciated, under discussed Best Picture nominees

Also, avoid 65 like the damn plague.   Adam Driver tricked me.   Even his bad films have a redeemable spirit to them.   This was one so dumb and pointless I’m surprised Roland Emmerich didn’t direct it

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9589 on: March 09, 2023, 11:32:44 PM »
Been on a troma run the last week or so. Class of nuke em high, the toxic avenger, surf Nazis just die, blades, tromeo and Juliet are probably the best ones (I prefer the way over the top campy style). I'll maybe get round to watching sequels if I'm not over it by then. Just a lot of fun all around but def not PC in any way so know what you're getting into.

Acid Drop

• Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #9590 on: March 10, 2023, 12:43:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You didn’t want to wait a month and watch that 15 year old movie on an appropriate day ?

Women Talking free on Prime, Living now available to rent.   The two under appreciated, under discussed Best Picture nominees

Also, avoid 65 like the damn plague.   Adam Driver tricked me.   Even his bad films have a redeemable spirit to them.   This was one so dumb and pointless I’m surprised Roland Emmerich didn’t direct it

First of all, it's a 19 year old movie and secondly, with the sequel soon approaching I figured it was finally time to give it a shot. Besides, I never pay to watch films because I was raised with an uncle who pirated 1000's of movies onto VHS and had them cataloged so it's in my blood to wait until I can access it for free. It was easy to find with a youtube search.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9591 on: March 10, 2023, 01:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

First of all, it's a 19 year old movie and secondly, with the sequel soon approaching I figured it was finally time to give it a shot. Besides, I never pay to watch films because I was raised with an uncle who pirated 1000's of movies onto VHS and had them cataloged so it's in my blood to wait until I can access it for free. It was easy to find with a youtube search.

You didn’t want to wait til Easter to make it less of a random choice?   Youve got over a year for the sequel at least.

Acid Drop

• Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #9592 on: March 10, 2023, 01:57:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

You didn’t want to wait til Easter to make it less of a random choice?   Youve got over a year for the sequel at least.

I'm ahead of the curve I guess. Simply put, I was ready... I'm ready... I'm ready... ...I'm so late it appears that I'm early. I heard Mel saying the sequel is like an acid trip and I instantly got excited.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9593 on: March 10, 2023, 10:02:58 AM »
Triangle of Sadness was a lot of fun

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #9594 on: March 11, 2023, 08:41:22 AM »

Probably gonna see this in theaters

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9595 on: March 11, 2023, 09:21:35 AM »
Holy shit definitely seeing that shit next weekend

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #9596 on: March 11, 2023, 09:54:36 AM »
I watched jfk last night.

There's two parallel stories happening. One is the morality tale of don't let this shit consume your life and drive you insane. Be a normal person, love your family, enjoy your life.
The other is the real deep politics surrounding the Kennedy assassination. Hazy, but all the important details are there, and that's the way you have to live with it. You can see the outline of the faintest shape of what may have happened, but there will never be the smoking gun. And also literally every actor in it is crushing so hard. John Candy plays a bit part and is electric and he's not even the 20th most important character. Just incredible stuff 

Who killed the president?

Aw man why don't you fucking stop it. Shit this is too big for you

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9597 on: March 11, 2023, 02:08:07 PM »

There's two parallel stories happening. One is the morality tale of don't let this shit consume your life and drive you insane. Be a normal person, love your family, enjoy your life.
The other is the real deep politics surrounding the Kennedy assassination. Hazy, but all the important details are there, and that's the way you have to live with it. You can see the outline of the faintest shape of what may have happened, but there will never be the smoking gun. And also literally every actor in it is crushing so hard. John Candy plays a bit part and is electric and he's not even the 20th most important character. Just incredible stuff

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #9598 on: March 12, 2023, 07:25:28 PM »

They're gonna shit bricks when they realize it was just one of his security guards that killed him on accident.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9599 on: March 12, 2023, 07:52:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
They're gonna shit bricks when they realize it was just one of his security guards that killed him on accident.
No that theory isn't allowed. (Even tho I've had some Mandela effect thing going where I thought the whole world agreed that's what happened but apparently not)