Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 925442 times)

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9780 on: May 27, 2023, 03:24:54 PM »
Came in here to ask if anyone saw the new Paul Schrader?

Hadn't even heard of Blackberry til I was just looking up times for the Master Gardener, I assumed it was something like that new Air Jordan movie

You guys have me intrigued now though, didn't realize Glenn Howerton was in it either

woodsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #9781 on: May 27, 2023, 04:24:23 PM »
 Small Town Wisconsin was good, no big deal.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9782 on: May 27, 2023, 05:39:57 PM »
Came in here to ask if anyone saw the new Paul Schrader?

Hadn't even heard of Blackberry til I was just looking up times for the Master Gardener, I assumed it was something like that new Air Jordan movie

You guys have me intrigued now though, didn't realize Glenn Howerton was in it either

Can’t wait for Master Gardener - hasn’t hit theaters near me yet - I wanted to like Card Counter more after First Reformed blew me away - but MG looks like a potential return to form for Schrader

TableClearer

• Rep: 3
« Reply #9783 on: May 28, 2023, 02:10:32 AM »
Found the French film Delicatessen for cheap in a charity shop the other day and it was fantastic!

Crude, Comedic and Cutting!

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #9784 on: May 29, 2023, 10:50:37 AM »
Lady Snowblood is a fucking masterpiece

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #9785 on: May 29, 2023, 08:36:33 PM »
Down for my second wrestling bout with Covid, I've had ample excuse for watching lots of good stuff this week, much of it based on recommendations in this thread.

The Night of the Hunter
Anatomy of a Murder
One-Eyed Jacks
Forbidden Planet
The Apartment
First Reformed
The Card Counter
Arsenic and Old Lace
and of course John Wick Chapter 4.

All these movies are great in their very different ways. I watched One-Eyed Jacks because it's Terry Gilliam's favourite film and it delivered. But I was especially whelmed by First Reformed, I saw the title on here and watched it without knowing anything about it, amazing film. The Card Counter wasn't quite as good I thought but still gripping.

Among the classics I probably liked The Apartment best this time around, love how the film treats 1960s corporate as well as neighbourly dynamics in addition to the romance.

Hope all of you are doing well pals.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #9786 on: May 29, 2023, 09:50:53 PM »
Down for my second wrestling bout with Covid, I've had ample excuse for watching lots of good stuff this week, much of it based on recommendations in this thread.

The Night of the Hunter
Anatomy of a Murder
One-Eyed Jacks
Forbidden Planet
The Apartment
First Reformed
The Card Counter
Arsenic and Old Lace

All these movies are great in their very different ways. I watched One-Eyed Jacks because it's Terry Gilliam's favourite film and it delivered. But I was especially whelmed by First Reformed, I saw the title on here and watched it without knowing anything about it, amazing film. The Card Counter wasn't quite as good I thought but still gripping.

Among the classics I probably liked The Apartment best this time around, love how the film treats 1960s corporate as well as neighbourly dynamics in addition to the romance.

If John Wick 4 was just Paris, it would be one of the best action films.   The Japan stuff was fine but kinda felt wheels spinning.   Also, how many dogs’ owners were killed in the course of that movie and what became of those dogs

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
« Reply #9787 on: May 29, 2023, 10:07:00 PM »
Expand Quote

The Night of the Hunter
Anatomy of a Murder
One-Eyed Jacks
Forbidden Planet
The Apartment
First Reformed
The Card Counter
Arsenic and Old Lace

[close]

If John Wick 4 was just Paris, it would be one of the best action films.   The Japan stuff was fine but kinda felt wheels spinning.   Also, how many dogs’ owners were killed in the course of that movie and what became of those dogs

Exactly what I thought. Good they (apparently) wrapped it up with this one and finished on a high note, great series but it seems to have run its course.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9788 on: May 29, 2023, 10:33:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The Night of the Hunter
Anatomy of a Murder
One-Eyed Jacks
Forbidden Planet
The Apartment
First Reformed
The Card Counter
Arsenic and Old Lace

[close]

[close]

Exactly what I thought. Good they (apparently) wrapped it up with this one and finished on a high note, great series but it seems to have run its course.

Well, they might not have apparently.  I was actually pretty surprised by the ending bc I didn’t know they were wrapping things up.   Studio wants a JW5 and there’s also a Continental show coming this Fall and a movie starring Ana De Armas called Ballerina set in the universe (and hopefully not the part of the world where everyone dresses like mixologists).   

Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant is good for what it was.   A solid war story that isn’t rah rah patriotism, but about supporting the translators and locals that sacrifice so much.   

Fast X is weird.   I don’t personally get into movies that are so bad they’re good and I’m not sure if the huge fans of this franchise like it because of that fact or genuinely like it.   I always trick myself into seeing these every time they come out bc I saw Fast 6 in a crowded movie theater and it was a hoot because everyone was into it.   

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #9789 on: May 30, 2023, 05:45:27 AM »
What's the craziest shit they get into in fast X? I know one of the recent ones Ludacris drove a car into outer space and used some Nas to come back in. They had to have tried to top that shit some how

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #9790 on: May 30, 2023, 07:06:10 AM »
It's probably something completely insane like pretending the rock or vin diesel are cool and have friends

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9791 on: May 30, 2023, 10:42:58 AM »
What's the craziest shit they get into in fast X? I know one of the recent ones Ludacris drove a car into outer space and used some Nas to come back in. They had to have tried to top that shit some how

It’s not so much crazy stunt wise (this ends on a cliffhanger) it’s just the same shit over again where people make sacrifices and they die only to appear again a few movies later.    Hell, they seemingly kill off a bunch of major characters in this and no one blinks an eye in the movie because there are no real consequences.   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9792 on: May 30, 2023, 10:46:13 AM »
It's probably something completely insane like pretending the rock or vin diesel are cool and have friends

Hah but not crazy enough to pretend Cena and the Rock are cool.  They had to get Cena’s ass out of there

Also, it’s so weird they have Paul Walker’s daughter a cameo but she only interacts with Cena (as a flight attendant) when Cena is literally the only person in the film that hadn’t shared a movie with her father.   

I mean it’s also weird that they act like Paul Walker is still alive but his character just never hangs anymore, even though his wife is still around

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9793 on: May 31, 2023, 12:35:48 PM »
Top Gun Maverick

Luca was great too.

The Whale was terrible.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #9794 on: May 31, 2023, 03:18:31 PM »
Well, they might not have apparently.  I was actually pretty surprised by the ending bc I didn’t know they were wrapping things up.   Studio wants a JW5 and there’s also a Continental show coming this Fall and a movie starring Ana De Armas called Ballerina set in the universe (and hopefully not the part of the world where everyone dresses like mixologists). 

I think the studio has no idea why those movies are successful.

I mean “John Wick” is sort of an iconic character at this point but no one really gives a shit about that stupid universe. It’s about top level stunts and fight choreography, done by talented performers, filmed well - period.

The money people are fixated on known IPs but I’m more excited to see Stahelski’s Highlander.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9795 on: May 31, 2023, 04:45:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mean “John Wick” is sort of an iconic character at this point but no one really gives a shit about that stupid universe. It’s about top level stunts and fight choreography, done by talented performers, filmed well - period.

The money people are fixated on known IPs but I’m more excited to see Stahelski’s Highlander.

Studios never ever learn the right lesson.   They see what makes money and they want to repeat that formula - hence sequels and remakes.   Far less of a gamble than sticking your neck out on something unproven.   

I joke with my friends that the lesson studios learned from Maverick isn’t that audiences are sick of green screen and love practical effects, but that you can/should reboot or sequelize old properties.   

Speaking of movies from the Wick guys - Atomic Blonde always shocked me with the indifference it was met with.    Had the same level of great action scenes, but there was a sense of humor and liveliness to it thanks to Charlize and James McAvoy.   Thought it might catch a ride on the Furiosa hype, but never found a connection to audiences

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #9796 on: May 31, 2023, 05:45:03 PM »
Top Gun Maverick

Luca was great too.

The Whale was terrible.

Elaborate on this

slimvanilla

« Reply #9797 on: May 31, 2023, 06:08:29 PM »
rewatched Pulp Fiction recently... kinda overrated. sue me!!! *shrug*

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #9798 on: May 31, 2023, 06:10:10 PM »
Gotg v3 satisfied the hell out of me.   Also, put it in the movies that made you cry section - animals in pain always get the waterworks started
J watched this with my girlfriends dad and brother while on a trip for Memorial Day weekend and was tearing up n tryna hide it from them lol
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9799 on: May 31, 2023, 11:16:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Top Gun Maverick

Luca was great too.

The Whale was terrible.
[close]

Elaborate on this

I think the pizza guy is on Slap

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9800 on: June 01, 2023, 06:47:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Studios never ever learn the right lesson.   They see what makes money and they want to repeat that formula - hence sequels and remakes.   Far less of a gamble than sticking your neck out on something unproven.   

I joke with my friends that the lesson studios learned from Maverick isn’t that audiences are sick of green screen and love practical effects, but that you can/should reboot or sequelize old properties.   

Speaking of movies from the Wick guys - Atomic Blonde always shocked me with the indifference it was met with.    Had the same level of great action scenes, but there was a sense of humor and liveliness to it thanks to Charlize and James McAvoy.   Thought it might catch a ride on the Furiosa hype, but never found a connection to audiences

I think Atomic Blonde had a lot going for it but the plot managed to feel derivative and overly convoluted at the same time. I cannot even remember if James McAvoy was ultimately good or bad. The staircase fight with Daniel Bernhardt was god-tier though.

I finally saw Maverick a few months ago and I’m almost embarrassed how excited I get during the flying scenes.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
« Reply #9801 on: June 01, 2023, 07:30:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Top Gun Maverick

Luca was great too.

The Whale was terrible.
[close]

Elaborate on this
[close]

I think the pizza guy is on Slap

The Whale was about as good as Everything, Everywhere, All at Once. 😂
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Bill Salt

« Reply #9802 on: June 01, 2023, 07:57:21 AM »
Mid 90's!
No, i'm kidding.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #9803 on: June 01, 2023, 05:51:16 PM »

I had to look this up, but when I did I was also pleasantly surprised that he is working on an adaptation of Shibumi. Super surprised that no one has tried to tackle that yet.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9804 on: June 01, 2023, 09:21:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had to look this up, but when I did I was also pleasantly surprised that he is working on an adaptation of Shibumi. Super surprised that no one has tried to tackle that yet.

Satori (authorized sequel) was in development for a looooong time at DiCaprio’s company

Highlander has been in development for at least a decade when I was interning at the prod co, and I don’t see that really changing.    It’s not a hot IP now, and it wasn’t even when it came out.   It’s just one of those weird exec things where they just keep attaching people to it because they have it, but it’s such a low budget concept that I’d shop it for tv. 

I’d say his next project is prob Ghost of Tsushima adaptation since video game adaptions are very hot at the moment and he’s actually talking about it in interviews 

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9805 on: June 02, 2023, 10:39:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Satori (authorized sequel) was in development for a looooong time at DiCaprio’s company

Highlander has been in development for at least a decade when I was interning at the prod co, and I don’t see that really changing.    It’s not a hot IP now, and it wasn’t even when it came out.   It’s just one of those weird exec things where they just keep attaching people to it because they have it, but it’s such a low budget concept that I’d shop it for tv. 

I’d say his next project is prob Ghost of Tsushima adaptation since video game adaptions are very hot at the moment and he’s actually talking about it in interviews

I’ve never heard of Shibumi but it looks like my 15 year old self would have enjoyed that alongside the Eric Van Lustbader ouvre.

Ghost Of Tsushima might be neat but that plot is so basic and an all Asian period piece could be a hard sell.

In some long form YouTube interview from last year Stahelski said everyone at his production company who wasn’t working on JW4 was trying to get Highlander going but who knows.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #9806 on: June 02, 2023, 10:54:31 AM »
(weird highlander connection)
Watched subway (1985). It's the perfect cheese movie for me. Something I used to always watch as a kid and think it mostly holds up, very fun characters, sets etc, Good action.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #9807 on: June 02, 2023, 12:10:55 PM »
13 Assassins on amazon prime... this one fucking ruled.  Kurosawa-style samurai epic directed by Takashi Miike, bloody as all hell.  Got me pumped to go revisit some classics in the genre.

and, this looks like it will be incredible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0si5bSd6I

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9808 on: June 02, 2023, 12:11:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ve never heard of Shibumi but it looks like my 15 year old self would have enjoyed that alongside the Eric Van Lustbader ouvre.

Ghost Of Tsushima might be neat but that plot is so basic and an all Asian period piece could be a hard sell.

In some long form YouTube interview from last year Stahelski said everyone at his production company who wasn’t working on JW4 was trying to get Highlander going but who knows.

The sell is that it’s a very popular video game in the age of a billion dollar grossing Mario movie and Last of Us on HBO.   Plus, you’re not going to Stahelski for plot dynamics.   You’re going to see excellently staged fight scenes

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9809 on: June 02, 2023, 04:05:59 PM »
and, this looks like it will be incredible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0si5bSd6I

Yeah definitely looking forward to this. I've been wanting to read the book for awhile, so I finally just downloaded the audiobook of it to listen to while I was working. It's really good, has me even more excited to see it now.

I find J. Edgar Hoover super interesting also, so I got excited whenever anything about him popped up in it. I could upload it if anyone's interested.