Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937146 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9840 on: June 09, 2023, 11:18:28 AM »
Expand Quote
The Doom Generation was an entertaining watch
[close]

I love Araki’s soundtracks.   I’ve liked what I’ve seen, but haven’t ever gone earlier than Mysterious Skin.

Yea I loved the music what would you recommend next? First of his films I've seen and interested to watch more

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #9841 on: June 09, 2023, 11:35:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I love Araki’s soundtracks.   I’ve liked what I’ve seen, but haven’t ever gone earlier than Mysterious Skin.
[close]

Yea I loved the music what would you recommend next? First of his films I've seen and interested to watch more

Mysterious Skin is his most well known, I’d say.   I think The Living End, Doom Generation, and Nowhere are his best 90s one.   He’s mostly a gun for hire these days on TV shows, but he had a weird  Starz show a few years back called Now Apocalypse that I don’t remember if it was good, but it kept me entertained

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9842 on: June 09, 2023, 01:25:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Mysterious Skin is his most well known, I’d say.   I think The Living End, Doom Generation, and Nowhere are his best 90s one.   He’s mostly a gun for hire these days on TV shows, but he had a weird  Starz show a few years back called Now Apocalypse that I don’t remember if it was good, but it kept me entertained
Smiley Face and Kaboom are before the pivot to Cable/Streaming stuff and from what I remember good. I liked them more than his earlier more well known stuff. I mean it's still a Gregg Araki movie so they're both pretty ridiculous but he definitely got better with actors.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9843 on: June 09, 2023, 01:34:40 PM »
Need to see Mysterious Skin.  I’ve only listened to the soundtrack, by Harold Budd and Robin Guthrie, which is very nice.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #9844 on: June 09, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »
Was it here that someone recommended Burden of Dreams? Nonetheless it's the documentary of making Fitzcarraldo, the story of moving a boat opera house over a mountain through the amazon jungle. And this documentary is even wilder than the Herzog movie itself

A good follow up is Werner's My Best Fiend about his relationship with Klaus, that also delves into Fitzcarraldo.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #9845 on: June 10, 2023, 11:17:39 PM »
The Arrival (1996)
Been on a 90s kick for a couple weeks so maybe biased/ignoring some shitty qualities of movies from that time. Kinda funny this came out right before men in black and that was huge but id never even heard of the arrival and I used to get literally every video from blockbuster etc and never even saw it played on tv.
Pretty fun, decent enough from Charlie sheen (pretty perfect for what this is) nice enough mix of practical stuff with nice for the time CGI

HarryScallywag

• Rep: 4
« Reply #9846 on: June 11, 2023, 03:38:02 AM »
Saint Maud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9847 on: June 11, 2023, 05:06:11 AM »
The Arrival (1996)
Been on a 90s kick for a couple weeks so maybe biased/ignoring some shitty qualities of movies from that time. Kinda funny this came out right before men in black and that was huge but id never even heard of the arrival and I used to get literally every video from blockbuster etc and never even saw it played on tv.
Pretty fun, decent enough from Charlie sheen (pretty perfect for what this is) nice enough mix of practical stuff with nice for the time CGI

Weird… It seems vaguely familiar but i think Contact might have just absorbed all recollections of it.   

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9848 on: June 11, 2023, 06:57:27 AM »
The Arrival (1996)

I saw this in theaters as a very young kid. When the kids knees pop backwards and he takes off mortified me…. That scene is etched into my brain ha..
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9849 on: June 11, 2023, 01:07:31 PM »
Expand Quote
The Arrival (1996)
[close]

I saw this in theaters as a very young kid. When the kids knees pop backwards and he takes off mortified me…. That scene is etched into my brain ha..
I projected this in the theater. I worked at a theater that was attached to a tourist trap so we'd have plenty of business in the summer and then be strictly for locs in the off months. Because of this, our numbers were all over the place so we got stuff booked in that the other theaters in the chain would never have gotten. The movie is low budget and high concept and I like it for that. It's David Twohy who would later hit it relatively big with the the Riddick franchise.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

noselid

• Rep: -40
« Reply #9850 on: June 11, 2023, 01:48:16 PM »
its funnier as an adult

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9851 on: June 11, 2023, 02:11:26 PM »
its funnier as an adult

I’m not sure my child brain ever even processed what occurs in this movie, think I just liked that it was called Surf Ninjas

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9852 on: June 11, 2023, 02:22:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Arrival (1996)
[close]

[close]
I projected this in the theater. I worked at a theater that was attached to a tourist trap so we'd have plenty of business in the summer and then be strictly for locs in the off months. Because of this, our numbers were all over the place so we got stuff booked in that the other theaters in the chain would never have gotten. The movie is low budget and high concept and I like it for that. It's David Twohy who would later hit it relatively big with the the Riddick franchise.

Would see this one on TV sometimes.  I associate it with Peter Jackson’s The Frighteners w/ Michael J Fox in terms of underrated and somewhat dark films with post prime film/sitcom star leads.

Twohy really went off in the 90s, huh?  Helped write Fugitive, then wrote Terminal Velocity, Waterworld, this, and GI Jane?  All before Riddick.  He was cooking!

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9853 on: June 11, 2023, 07:32:18 PM »
Anyone see Transformers?  Saw it in IMAX 3D… feels like the technology has caught up to where anything can be achieved photorealistically.  Thought it was pretty average but not terrible

Question for those who saw it:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9854 on: June 11, 2023, 07:35:02 PM »
I don’t know if I want to know the gripe or not and stay happy with the movie…

Just that…

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9855 on: June 11, 2023, 07:44:05 PM »
its funnier as an adult

this and the 3 Ninjas movies were some of my most watched movies as a kid, that Chuck Norris movie Sidekicks too is kinda in the same ballpark also, and got a lot of views from me in the mid 90s as well

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9856 on: June 11, 2023, 07:50:09 PM »
Rocky loves Em-i-ly.  Rocky loves Em-i-ly.

The 4th one with Hulk Hogan, High Noon at Mega Mountain is so so bad it’s good.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #9857 on: June 11, 2023, 09:18:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

After watching most of Michael Hanekes films and Larry Clarks stuff I figured I've seen the most fucked up films I ever care to see. I'm 25 minutes into Mysterious Skin and this is easily up for potentially the most fucked yet. Probably going to be ultimately fantastic tho in the end

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #9858 on: June 11, 2023, 09:55:12 PM »
Just watched Mars Attacks. I saw it like 20 years ago when I was 10 but barely remembered it. Crazy star studded cast. Some funny moments. Goofy and worth the watch.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9859 on: June 11, 2023, 10:10:06 PM »
Just watched Mars Attacks. I saw it like 20 years ago when I was 10 but barely remembered it. Crazy star studded cast. Some funny moments. Goofy and worth the watch.

I love someone told Tim Burton you can’t kill Jack Nicholson, so he killed him twice

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9860 on: June 11, 2023, 10:12:30 PM »
Expand Quote
I don’t know if I want to know the gripe or not and stay happy with the movie…
[close]

Just that…

Ahh ok so I see why I didn’t have a gripe.   I had heard about that early on

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9861 on: June 11, 2023, 10:13:30 PM »

It’s all about the stoner kidnappers.   Die Yuppie Scum

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #9862 on: June 11, 2023, 10:14:57 PM »
couple days ago saw rlm did a review of it, thought I'll watch it later I remember liking the movie as a kid but then laughing at how shitty it was as a teen (which is basically how it was for every 80s and 90s movie as a teen in the 00s), turn on the tv and it just happened to be starting.
I'd agree with you but for an adult with no nostalgia for it I can see them getting nothing from it. I think also a lot of people don't get that it's kind of corny on purpose like a throwback to earlier sci fi

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9863 on: June 11, 2023, 10:16:30 PM »
Anyone see Transformers?  Saw it in IMAX 3D… feels like the technology has caught up to where anything can be achieved photorealistically.  Thought it was pretty average but not terrible

Fuck.   Should not have looked at that spoiler.   I don’t mind bc there’s precedent for that in their “histories”.    It’s smart and I actually like that ballsiness to try and pull it off.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 10:25:13 PM by Atiba Applebum »

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9864 on: June 11, 2023, 10:19:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s all about the stoner kidnappers.   Die Yuppie Scum

Yeah Austin Kanfoush was amazing in that one.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9865 on: June 11, 2023, 10:22:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fuck.   Should not have looked at that spoiler.   I don’t mind bc there’s precedent for that in their “histories”.    It’s smart and I actually like that ballsiness to try and pull it off.

Yeah part of me respects the effort to go for it, seems like it could be fun.  Nothing worse than taking films like these too seriously.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9866 on: June 11, 2023, 10:27:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah part of me respects the effort to go for it, seems like it could be fun.  Nothing worse than taking films like these too seriously.

And they’ve been trying to make that a thing for a while.    The last one they did (being purposely vague) a few years back could have been really cool, but it was just lazy. 

What annoys me about new Transformers is they called it Rise of the Beasts when Beast Wars was already there.   

“Rise of” is one of the laziest titling conventions alongside Age of —- and American —-.   Even worse that two  of the latest Star Wars movies and Transformers movies have the same conventions.    (The Last Jedi/The Last Knight, Rise of Skywalker/Rise of the Beasts).   Surprised there isn’t a Omnicon Awakens

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9867 on: June 11, 2023, 10:27:36 PM »
I’m getting kinda hyped for the new TMNT movie.  Just the art on the posters alone with the prominent skateboard is stoking up some decent nostalgia.

Also fired up for new Mission: Impossible.

Blockbusters have been fairly on point thus far.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9868 on: June 11, 2023, 10:34:53 PM »
I’m getting kinda hyped for the new TMNT movie.  Just the art on the posters alone with the prominent skateboard is stoking up some decent nostalgia.

Also fired up for new Mission: Impossible.

Blockbusters have been fairly on point thus far.

Just remember this Mission Impossible is a part 1, sooooo

Fast X ended on a cliffhanger too.    My guess for that franchise is that they are going to use time travel solely because Charlize Theron drove a new Delorian for a nano-second in that film and it’s a Universal movie.   

Flash is getting hyped up maybe too much.  I’m excited for it, but I’m trying to temper expectations.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9869 on: June 11, 2023, 10:35:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

And they’ve been trying to make that a thing for a while.    The last one they did (being purposely vague) a few years back could have been really cool, but it was just lazy. 

What annoys me about new Transformers is they called it Rise of the Beasts when Beast Wars was already there.   

“Rise of” is one of the laziest titling conventions alongside Age of —- and American —-.   Even worse that two  of the latest Star Wars movies and Transformers movies have the same conventions.    (The Last Jedi/The Last Knight, Rise of Skywalker/Rise of the Beasts).   Surprised there isn’t a Omnicon Awakens

Yeah dude, I couldn’t agree more with all of the above.  Especially American ____.  Hilarious how true that is.

New Tranformers is definitely a carefully contrived combo of a ton of recent franchises - Uncharted, Jurassic Park, Avengers, Planet of the Apes etc - but it’s fairly competent pastiche at least, unlike the recent Paramount franchise entry you referenced that felt more phoned in by comparison.