Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937972 times)

Kook Me Amadeus

Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9870 on: June 11, 2023, 10:41:04 PM »
Expand Quote
I’m getting kinda hyped for the new TMNT movie.  Just the art on the posters alone with the prominent skateboard is stoking up some decent nostalgia.

Also fired up for new Mission: Impossible.

Blockbusters have been fairly on point thus far.
[close]

Just remember this Mission Impossible is a part 1, sooooo

Fast X ended on a cliffhanger too.    My guess for that franchise is that they are going to use time travel solely because Charlize Theron drove a new Delorian for a nano-second in that film and it’s a Universal movie.   

Flash is getting hyped up maybe too much.  I’m excited for it, but I’m trying to temper expectations.

Fast X is the only thing out I don’t have plans to see… part of me doesn’t want to stoop to supporting that level of fluff, but I feel like Scrooge hating on fun summer movies.

Have similar qualms about Flash given Ezra Miller’s abuses, but I already have that A-list ticket lined up because I can’t miss Keaton returning as Batman.

Thanks for the heads up on M:I - it’s all about expectations I suppose

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #9871 on: June 11, 2023, 10:49:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Doom Generation was an entertaining watch
[close]

I love Araki’s soundtracks.   I’ve liked what I’ve seen, but haven’t ever gone earlier than Mysterious Skin.
[close]

Yea I loved the music what would you recommend next? First of his films I've seen and interested to watch more
[close]

Mysterious Skin is his most well known, I’d say.   I think The Living End, Doom Generation, and Nowhere are his best 90s one.   He’s mostly a gun for hire these days on TV shows, but he had a weird  Starz show a few years back called Now Apocalypse that I don’t remember if it was good, but it kept me entertained
[close]

After watching most of Michael Hanekes films and Larry Clarks stuff I figured I've seen the most fucked up films I ever care to see. I'm 25 minutes into Mysterious Skin and this is easily up for potentially the most fucked yet. Probably going to be ultimately fantastic tho in the end

Don't watch this, don't do it

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #9872 on: June 11, 2023, 10:52:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m getting kinda hyped for the new TMNT movie.  Just the art on the posters alone with the prominent skateboard is stoking up some decent nostalgia.

[close]

Fast X ended on a cliffhanger too.    My guess for that franchise is that they are going to use time travel solely because Charlize Theron drove a new Delorian for a nano-second in that film and it’s a Universal movie.   

Flash is getting hyped up maybe too much.  I’m excited for it, but I’m trying to temper expectations.
[close]

Fast X is the only thing out I don’t have plans to see… part of me doesn’t want to stoop to supporting that level of fluff, but I feel like Scrooge hating on fun summer movies.

Have similar qualms about Flash given Ezra Miller’s abuses, but I already have that A-list ticket lined up because I can’t miss Keaton returning as Batman.

I hate the Fast movies, but I forget that I do so I end up A-listing them bc I figure the set pieces might be worth it, but they always leave me cold.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9873 on: June 11, 2023, 10:57:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I hate the Fast movies, but I forget that I do so I end up A-listing them bc I figure the set pieces might be worth it, but they always leave me cold.

Nothing worse when you just want to have some chuckles.  Recommend Transformers in IMAX 3D, it’s a solid 6 and a half.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9874 on: June 11, 2023, 11:33:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nothing worse when you just want to have some chuckles.  Recommend Transformers in IMAX 3D, it’s a solid 6 and a half.

Ok cool.   Was probably going to wait until it goes on Paramount+ just to have something to watch at home, but maybe I’ll give it a go this week.   

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1401
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9875 on: June 12, 2023, 02:02:15 PM »
Got fried and watched crouching tiger hidden dragon for this first time. That movie was sick!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9876 on: June 12, 2023, 05:26:30 PM »
Got fried and watched crouching tiger hidden dragon for this first time. That movie was sick!

The film was rereleased in theaters this winter and I saw it again, after not watching since its initial theatrical run.  Pretty sublime film.  Holds up really well.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9877 on: June 12, 2023, 09:51:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Doom Generation was an entertaining watch
[close]

I love Araki’s soundtracks.   I’ve liked what I’ve seen, but haven’t ever gone earlier than Mysterious Skin.
[close]

Yea I loved the music what would you recommend next? First of his films I've seen and interested to watch more
[close]

Mysterious Skin is his most well known, I’d say.   I think The Living End, Doom Generation, and Nowhere are his best 90s one.   He’s mostly a gun for hire these days on TV shows, but he had a weird  Starz show a few years back called Now Apocalypse that I don’t remember if it was good, but it kept me entertained
[close]

After watching most of Michael Hanekes films and Larry Clarks stuff I figured I've seen the most fucked up films I ever care to see. I'm 25 minutes into Mysterious Skin and this is easily up for potentially the most fucked yet. Probably going to be ultimately fantastic tho in the end
[close]

Don't watch this, don't do it

Alright Mysterious Skin is a 10/10 just a hard watch but so good.

Now I'm on an Araki bender and watched White Blizzard in a Freezer, also fantastic and gonna keep watching through this catalog

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #9878 on: June 13, 2023, 09:24:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Just watched Mars Attacks. I saw it like 20 years ago when I was 10 but barely remembered it. Crazy star studded cast. Some funny moments. Goofy and worth the watch.
[close]
couple days ago saw rlm did a review of it, thought I'll watch it later I remember liking the movie as a kid but then laughing at how shitty it was as a teen (which is basically how it was for every 80s and 90s movie as a teen in the 00s), turn on the tv and it just happened to be starting.
I'd agree with you but for an adult with no nostalgia for it I can see them getting nothing from it. I think also a lot of people don't get that it's kind of corny on purpose like a throwback to earlier sci fi

lol I was feeling weirdly defensive watching that RLM review

I have really fond memories of watching it with my older brothers when it first came out, didn't want them pointing out that it actually sucked in a lot of ways

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9879 on: June 14, 2023, 06:20:23 PM »
Past Lives doesn’t really go much deeper than the trailer.  I feel like the filmmaker Celine Song mostly pulled it off, but more as an exercise in minimalism and tasteful direction than any sort of nuanced character study or emotional release.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9880 on: June 15, 2023, 02:19:44 PM »
Past Lives doesn’t really go much deeper than the trailer.  I feel like the filmmaker Celine Song mostly pulled it off, but more as an exercise in minimalism and tasteful direction than any sort of nuanced character study or emotional release.

Wow really.   So it’s another surface level A24 movie.   I had hopes for that

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #9881 on: June 15, 2023, 02:21:16 PM »
Im trying to watch the edge of tomorrow tonight.

I fucking love that flick
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9882 on: June 15, 2023, 02:36:39 PM »

Yes.  It’ll never be Live Die Repeat to me either

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9883 on: June 15, 2023, 02:39:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wish they had gone with “All You Need Is Kill”.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9884 on: June 15, 2023, 02:51:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wow really.   So it’s another surface level A24 movie.  I had hopes for that

It has its moments but it’s definitely that.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9885 on: June 15, 2023, 03:02:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hard agree that name is fucking perfect
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9886 on: June 15, 2023, 04:01:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Any read the (I think) manga?   

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9887 on: June 15, 2023, 05:50:34 PM »
I stopped fucking with the transformers when they had Marky Mark fighting decepticons that looked like Knights from the round table and shit, i'm done
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9888 on: June 15, 2023, 07:13:46 PM »
I stopped fucking with the transformers when they had Marky Mark fighting decepticons that looked like Knights from the round table and shit, i'm done

Those were auto bots, bruh.   Also, a valuable teachable moment about Romeo and Juliet laws and always keeping a laminated card about it on you if you’re dating a minor

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #9889 on: June 15, 2023, 08:24:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Any read the (I think) manga?
I bought a copy out of the cheapie bin over a decade ago but never got around to reading it and it went when I mostly got rid of my books. It was published by (I think) Viz and had a manga illustrated cover but was prose. Probably why it was discounted; buyer sees it in the big Diamond book and reads the blurb without realizing it's a straight up book and it sat on the shelves once they got it in.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9890 on: June 16, 2023, 09:10:07 AM »

I can only recommend new Transformers if you have one of those A-List Stubs passes from AMC where you pay a monthly subscription fee instead of like 25 dollars for a single ticket.  Otherwise you may feel ripped off (if you don’t have tons of disposable income).  But I feel that way about most movies these days, to be honest.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9891 on: June 16, 2023, 10:34:29 AM »
Once Were Warriors was a great but depressing film.

Brick was a dope and bizarre neo noir film I'd definitely recommend. Such bizarre characters, JGL was great again here

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #9892 on: June 16, 2023, 10:45:42 AM »
Once Were Warriors was a great but depressing film.

Brick was a dope and bizarre neo noir film I'd definitely recommend. Such bizarre characters, JGL was great again here
There's a sequel called "what becomes of the broken hearted?" It's not warriors but it's alright.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9893 on: June 16, 2023, 08:43:25 PM »
John Wick 4.

Some very nice tributes to iconic movies in this one…

I geeked out at The Warriors reference and also the subtle Neverending Story reference they threw in there.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9894 on: June 16, 2023, 10:50:51 PM »
Polite Society is on Peacock now, def worth noting if you liked We Are Lady Parts

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #9895 on: June 17, 2023, 04:23:09 AM »
First 4 mission impossible movies. Pretty perfect action. Some effects and style etc dated now but overall great. Unbelievable scenarios done in a believable way. Unlike some other action movies the whole cast of characters actually matter, contribute to the story and aren't just there so it looks like the star has friends/ just there to be saved over and over.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9896 on: June 17, 2023, 09:00:17 AM »
First 4 mission impossible movies. Pretty perfect action. Some effects and style etc dated now but overall great. Unbelievable scenarios done in a believable way. Unlike some other action movies the whole cast of characters actually matter, contribute to the story and aren't just there so it looks like the star has friends/ just there to be saved over and over.

First M:I was legendary.  DePalma knocked it out of the park. 

Some of the Woo action in 2 and JJ’s foibles in 3 make them hard to compare for me. 

Just my two cents, though.

Fallout was maybe the 2nd best M:I movie in my mind, even though it hardly resembles the initial trilogy.  It has a lot of moments that remind me of True Lies / Cameron style action, which I consider peak entertainment.

I heard they made Vanessa Kirby’s character related to Max from the DePalma M:I after the initial shoot, which is an amazing fix, and it came out better than I think even they were expecting.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #9897 on: June 17, 2023, 09:35:54 AM »
^I pretty much agree with this take. "M:I2" was awful. Terrible, generic bad guy and Woo went way overboard with the ripping of the fake face shit. Best shit to come out of "M:I2" was that MTV movie awards sketch where Ben Stiller plays Tom Cruise's stunt double.

1 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 4 >>> 2
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 04:32:46 AM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9898 on: June 17, 2023, 09:46:25 AM »
^I pretty much agree with this take. "MI:2" was awful. Terrible, generic bad guy and Woo went way overboard with the ripping of the fake face shit. Best shit to come out of "MI:2" was that MTV movie awards sketch where Ben Stiller plays Tom Cruise's stunt double.

1 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 4 >>> 2

Suppose it makes sense you’d be a connoisseur of such moments  ;D

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9899 on: June 17, 2023, 10:57:34 AM »
^I pretty much agree with this take. "MI:2" was awful. Terrible, generic bad guy and Woo went way overboard with the ripping of the fake face shit. Best shit to come out of "MI:2" was that MTV movie awards sketch where Ben Stiller plays Tom Cruise's stunt double.

1 > 6 > 5 > 3 > 4 >>> 2

No one liked M:1 at the time really because it was seen as overly convoluted and De Palma (on George Lucas’s suggestion) killed the team, which is the whole essence of MI, in the cold open. 

M:2 I recall being beloved at the time.   I know as a young teen I thought it was a bad ass action movie.   Haven’t reappraised it. 

M:3 - crazy to think they wanted Gervais originally for Benjy