Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 938000 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #9900 on: June 17, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »
Look if you want to pull out mi:2 individually or compare it to the others in the series then yes it's the weakest but as part of a package or compared to other franchises I think it's pretty good.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #9901 on: June 17, 2023, 04:33:17 PM »
Look if you want to pull out mi:2 individually or compare it to the others in the series then yes it's the weakest but as part of a package or compared to other franchises I think it's pretty good.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9902 on: June 17, 2023, 05:05:40 PM »
On its own terms M:I 2 is rad, I just didn’t like the direction it took the series, looking back on it.  3 felt like more of a return to form / on brand for how I saw Impossible working.

I was a massive fan of the old TV show(s) from reruns on FX growing up, so when 1 killed of the team in the opening scene, including Coach Gordon Bombay(!), it shattered my brain.  Also the reveal Jim Phelps was a villain was such a massive twist, no one could have possibly seen that coming.  I like how the film stays just ahead of the audience.  The plot point involving Ethan finding and contacting Job via his hotel Bible is a bit farfetched logically speaking but the rest of the film holds up remarkably well.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9903 on: June 17, 2023, 05:40:38 PM »
Yeah MI1 was a spy film and MI2 was an action film - one of the last good 90s type of action films.   

It kinda seemed like the series would change directors each time and mold the movie to be a reflection of that directors personal style, which I kinda liked, but Christopher McQuarrie has done a great enough job that I’m happy enough for him to helm multiple ones, though I think it would have been awesome to see Joseph Kosinski try his hand after getting his long deserved credit after Top Gun 2.    Oblivion wasn’t a great movie, but it was a good looking one

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9904 on: June 17, 2023, 05:56:42 PM »
Great fucking idea, I’d be stoked to see Kosinski (or another director) take on Impossible.  It’s a little like Bond, where new takes can benefit the series, but the constant of Cruise as actor/producer has made the director seat mostly up to him, for better or worse.

Kosinski’s next film looks interesting: https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2022/06/apple-original-films-lands-formula-one-racing-feature-from-joseph-kosinski-plan-b-entertainment-and-jerry-bruckheimer-films-starring-brad-pitt/

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9905 on: June 17, 2023, 06:46:46 PM »
Great fucking idea, I’d be stoked to see Kosinski (or another director) take on Impossible.  It’s a little like Bond, where new takes can benefit the series, but the constant of Cruise as actor/producer has made the director seat mostly up to him, for better or worse.

Kosinski’s next film looks interesting: https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2022/06/apple-original-films-lands-formula-one-racing-feature-from-joseph-kosinski-plan-b-entertainment-and-jerry-bruckheimer-films-starring-brad-pitt/

Mission Impossible 1 was the first movie Tom Cruise ever produced.  It’s why the series is so special to him (and this is the penultimate one).   The reason TC is a capital S Star is because he knows how to add value to a film (unlike Rock or Wahlberg or Reynolds who hire guys they like) bc he hand picked a difficult guy like De Palma to be the director bc he knew he would make a great movie.   

We haven’t talked about it yet, but Brad Bird’s M:I Ghost Protocol is what boosted that franchise to the next level in terms of set pieces.     

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9906 on: June 17, 2023, 07:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just watched Mars Attacks. I saw it like 20 years ago when I was 10 but barely remembered it. Crazy star studded cast. Some funny moments. Goofy and worth the watch.
[close]
couple days ago saw rlm did a review of it, thought I'll watch it later I remember liking the movie as a kid but then laughing at how shitty it was as a teen (which is basically how it was for every 80s and 90s movie as a teen in the 00s), turn on the tv and it just happened to be starting.
I'd agree with you but for an adult with no nostalgia for it I can see them getting nothing from it. I think also a lot of people don't get that it's kind of corny on purpose like a throwback to earlier sci fi
[close]

lol I was feeling weirdly defensive watching that RLM review

I have really fond memories of watching it with my older brothers when it first came out, didn't want them pointing out that it actually sucked in a lot of ways

I love RLM and love Mars Attacks… i was pretty surprised by the review. I always interpreted it as Tim Burton taking the piss of those old sci fi flicks… a goof and a spoof. Outside of the cheesy 90s cgi, Mars Attacks, imo, holds up. Watched it few months back it still makes me laugh.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9907 on: June 17, 2023, 08:34:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Mission Impossible 1 was the first movie Tom Cruise ever produced.  It’s why the series is so special to him (and this is the penultimate one).   The reason TC is a capital S Star is because he knows how to add value to a film (unlike Rock or Wahlberg or Reynolds who hire guys they like) bc he hand picked a difficult guy like De Palma to be the director bc he knew he would make a great movie.   

We haven’t talked about it yet, but Brad Bird’s M:I Ghost Protocol is what boosted that franchise to the next level in terms of set pieces.   

Almost forgot about Brad Bird’s involvement in the series. 

And I have the utmost respect for Cruise’s producing talent, he has made some great decisions throughout his career and since his early days as a client at CAA, seeking out meetings with great directors.  The CAA book by James Andrew Miller has some good insights into how he honed his craft.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9908 on: June 17, 2023, 09:30:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Almost forgot about Brad Bird’s involvement in the series. 

And I have the utmost respect for Cruise’s producing talent, he has made some great decisions throughout his career and since his early days as a client at CAA, seeking out meetings with great directors.  The CAA book by James Andrew Miller has some good insights into how he honed his craft.

Yeah it’s so good.   The Partial Sid story with John Hughes is so good.   (Edit - hate that I used “so good” twice in a row)

I’d advise anyone who wants to see M:I in iMax (and you def should), see it that first week bc Oppenheimer is opening the next week and is probably going to take its spot everywhere and Tom Cruise is freaking out about it

« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 03:29:37 PM by Atiba Applebum »

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #9909 on: June 18, 2023, 03:28:01 PM »
Once Were Warriors was a great but depressing film.

Brick was a dope and bizarre neo noir film I'd definitely recommend. Such bizarre characters, JGL was great again here

Since you’re on a JGL kick u gotta complete the cypher with Hesher. 10/10

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #9910 on: June 18, 2023, 05:04:19 PM »
Sorry that this isn't the right thread, but not sure where the best place for movies you thought would be good, but you didn't like. I love a good horror movie every now and then and thought the first Terrifier movie was great. It felt like a nice breath of fresh air for horror movies and was pretty excited when the reviews of Terrifier 2 were also great. I watched it last night and felt pretty numb to it all. It felt like it was trying to be extra gory just for the sake of it and the story felt pretty flat. Didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe someone else has a good rec for a recent horror movie they liked.

Irvine-Sucks.com

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9911 on: June 18, 2023, 05:24:43 PM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9912 on: June 18, 2023, 05:44:14 PM »
Sorry that this isn't the right thread, but not sure where the best place for movies you thought would be good, but you didn't like. I love a good horror movie every now and then and thought the first Terrifier movie was great. It felt like a nice breath of fresh air for horror movies and was pretty excited when the reviews of Terrifier 2 were also great. I watched it last night and felt pretty numb to it all. It felt like it was trying to be extra gory just for the sake of it and the story felt pretty flat. Didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe someone else has a good rec for a recent horror movie they liked.

I watched it bc it was free on Peacock and that it did great in theaters and was surprised people were so into this.   

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #9913 on: June 18, 2023, 10:51:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Brick was a dope and bizarre neo noir film I'd definitely recommend. Such bizarre characters, JGL was great again here
[close]

Gonna watch this week.

Haggard,  another 10/10

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #9914 on: June 18, 2023, 11:37:50 PM »
Damn we might have a different understanding of what 10/10 means.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9915 on: June 19, 2023, 05:54:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Gonna watch this week.

Haggard,  another 10/10

The Bam Margera movie??

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9916 on: June 20, 2023, 02:06:35 AM »
Really got a big kick out of the Flash.  Felt laden with easter eggs and surprises the way people were hoping Dr Strange 2 would be, but I get that there are unequal decks they're both playing from in terms of what DC and Marvel can play with considering DC has an exponentially longer history to have fun with.

I'm pretty forgiving towards CGI in general bc I know how fucked over and overworked that industry is, but there were some moments that really bothered me, ones that I don't even know why they needed CGI...

Surprised to see the Dungeon and Dragons guys only had a Story By credit.  That scene with the "items" falling out of the building in the beginning seemed right in their wheelhouse of humor.

Loved the Akira references with Supergirl.

Just a good popcorn movie and there were enough surprises that I didn't get bummed out that trailers have to tell you Keaton and Supergirl were in it in the first place.

Last Movies to Watch in June
Asteroid City  (for LA people, the Landmark Sunset theater, formerly AMC, has remade the whole theater in its image)
No Hard Feelings - funny people wrote and directed, so I have hope.
Indiana Jones 5 - love it too much to not care

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9917 on: June 20, 2023, 12:13:15 PM »
Damn trying not to read your thoughts on Flash since I’m seeing it tonight, but I gleaned some postive reactions at a glance, so I’m excited now.

Sundance theater on Sunset was my shit pre-AMC (and for its briefer than expected life as an AMC). 

Stoked for AC.  Wes always makes watchable movies.

Jennifer Lawrence wanted like 25 mill plus for that film, was a big comedy package, not sure she got it but it was mostly a “payday film” so that tempers my excitement somewhat.

Gotta see Indy - though Dial of Destiny sounds like the title for a mobile game.

This is random but did anyone see C’Mon C’Mon?  Or Beau Is Afraid?  Curious if they’re worth seeing. I always miss like half of Joaquin Phoenix’s movies for no particular reason, even though I intend to see them and I’m a fan.  Both have good filmmakers behind them, I have just not heard many takes on either film.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9918 on: June 20, 2023, 02:28:20 PM »
Eh 25M for Jennifer Lawrence doesn’t bother/surprise me.   That’s about her quote.   She made that for Don’t Look Up.  (Leo got 35M)
     - I do think it might struggle bc of comedies being sadly a hard sell and the writers strike shutting down late night talk shows and cutting off a promotional Avenue)

I’m a Mike Mills fan so I did (force myself to) see C’Mon C’Mon but I have literally zero memory of it…”Don’t Worry He Won’t Get Far on Foot” has been one of the better JP movies I’ve seen in the past X years.   

Like with Bardo, reviews + run time were enough to keep me away from Beau is Afraid.   

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9919 on: June 20, 2023, 02:42:41 PM »
Yeah no question but her involvement just feels transactional, not the sorta movie she’d normally do.  Feels beneath her but for the budget.  Some decent folks involved but these high value packages often disappoint.

That said I recommended Transformers not too long ago so it’s all relative.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9920 on: June 20, 2023, 03:08:59 PM »
Yeah no question but her involvement just feels transactional, not the sorta movie she’d normally do.  Feels beneath her but for the budget.  Some decent folks involved but these high value packages often disappoint.

That said I recommended Transformers not too long ago so it’s all relative.

I get that, but I think she’s wanted to comedy for a while.   She was supposed to be in Dumb and Dumber 2 and she was writing a comedy with Amy Schumer that probably didn’t get made bc ill will towards Schumer would kill whatever star power Jennifer Lawrence brought to it.   

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9921 on: June 20, 2023, 03:15:35 PM »
Good call, forgot about that one.  I’ll
definitely see it.  Just preparing to feel ambivalent about it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9922 on: June 20, 2023, 03:37:17 PM »
Good call, forgot about that one.  I’ll
definitely see it.  Just preparing to feel ambivalent about it.

Fair enough.  I just always want to support a comedy.   There hasn’t been a BIG one in a bit (not that I think this will be it).   Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar was one of the funniest I’ve seen in a bit, but it was a pandemic movie and maybe too weird for general audiences. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9923 on: June 20, 2023, 07:20:22 PM »
just watched Kubrick's The Killing.   Whilst I enjoyed it, afterwards I wasn't quite sure I was called the killing.   It's about a heist and there are several incidental deaths (this movie influenced Reservoir Dogs amongst others), but not one that really merits having the film titled after it...

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9924 on: June 20, 2023, 07:32:07 PM »
just watched Kubrick's The Killing.   Whilst I enjoyed it, afterwards I wasn't quite sure I was called the killing.   It's about a heist and there are several incidental deaths (this movie influenced Reservoir Dogs amongst others), but not one that really merits having the film titled after it...

Definitely a great film, just takes a little to get into it.  Tried to rewatch it a few times and it’s a slow burner.  Pretty much the granddaddy of all horsetrack heist films.  Saying nothing new here but Kubrick is such a chameleon, I think his versatility makes him the GOAT.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9925 on: June 20, 2023, 07:40:10 PM »
Really got a big kick out of the Flash.  Felt laden with easter eggs and surprises the way people were hoping Dr Strange 2 would be, but I get that there are unequal decks they're both playing from in terms of what DC and Marvel can play with considering DC has an exponentially longer history to have fun with.

I'm pretty forgiving towards CGI in general bc I know how fucked over and overworked that industry is, but there were some moments that really bothered me, ones that I don't even know why they needed CGI...

Surprised to see the Dungeon and Dragons guys only had a Story By credit.  That scene with the "items" falling out of the building in the beginning seemed right in their wheelhouse of humor.

Just a good popcorn movie and there were enough surprises that I didn't get bummed out that trailers have to tell you Keaton and Supergirl were in it in the first place.

Asteroid City  (for LA people, the Landmark Sunset theater, formerly AMC, has remade the whole theater in its image)

So many good easter eggs.   
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Once I decided just to enjoy the movie, in the “items falling” sequence in particular, I had tons of fun.  But it was imperfect for sure.

You were right about the CG.  Some of it was so bad it reminded me of like Scorpion King or the Burly Brawl.  Either it was rushed or underfunded, but it looked 15/20 years behind where technology is right now.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9926 on: June 20, 2023, 07:52:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So many good easter eggs.   
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Once I decided just to enjoy the movie, in the “items falling” sequence in particular, I had tons of fun.  But it was imperfect for sure.

You were right about the CG.  Some of it was so bad it reminded me of like Scorpion King or the Burly Brawl.  Either it was rushed or underfunded, but it looked 15/20 years behind where technology is right now.

There’s a scene of just a close up on  Ezra’s face in the bat plane that looked like the worst cgi ever but I didn’t understand why it was cgi at all.   He wasn’t de-aged and it was only him in the frame…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9927 on: June 20, 2023, 08:04:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely a great film, just takes a little to get into it.  Tried to rewatch it a few times and it’s a slow burner.  Pretty much the granddaddy of all horsetrack heist films.  Saying nothing new here but Kubrick is such a chameleon, I think his versatility makes him the GOAT.

But why is it called THE Killing?

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #9928 on: June 20, 2023, 08:28:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Is it a play on the double meaning of the word - the potential monetary payoff of the heist (“to make a killing”) versus the deadly cost associated with their crime?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9929 on: June 20, 2023, 09:13:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Is it a play on the double meaning of the word - the potential monetary payoff of the heist (“to make a killing”) versus the deadly cost associated with their crime?

Hmmm I’d buy that, but also think it’s too cerebral to be right.   But I like it