Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937699 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10080 on: July 25, 2023, 02:42:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody else pony up for The Venture Bros - Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart movie that was released to streaming? I know it will show up on Max soon enough but the last season was a super cliffhanger and for a while it looked like they were gonna just leave it like that so I had to watch it day and date. Most of the loose ends are tied up now and the storyline is at a good stopping/restarting point. This new one is at least on par with All This and Gargantua-2.

I also watched Guardians 3 and loved the Rocket storyline even if I thought the movie was, like most MCU movies recently, a little over the line into corny town. The Rocket stuff is particularly brutal and so in balancing that out they overdo it
a bit. I was psyched to see a surprising amount of pulls from the Mantlo/Mignola mini-series even if there weren't any space clowns.
[close]

Dude!  I had no idea the Venture Bros had anything else coming out until I saw a one off ad on IG I almost ignored.    Definitely going to spend the money on it to support them because it’s such a good and underrated show.   I just wish streaming and all that kept the episodes in order.   The special eps like Gargantua 2 are wonkily placed last time I checked.
Max now has them in the correct order but if I recall Guargantua-2 was just straight up missing from Hulu. Same thing with The Doomstar Requiem ending to Metalocalypse but that's on Max now too. The Venture Bros team has said they are down to keep it going as movies so hopefully we at least get a Futurama direct to DVD style run of movies.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #10081 on: July 25, 2023, 03:21:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody else pony up for The Venture Bros - Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart movie that was released to streaming? I know it will show up on Max soon enough but the last season was a super cliffhanger and for a while it looked like they were gonna just leave it like that so I had to watch it day and date. Most of the loose ends are tied up now and the storyline is at a good stopping/restarting point. This new one is at least on par with All This and Gargantua-2.

I also watched Guardians 3 and loved the Rocket storyline even if I thought the movie was, like most MCU movies recently, a little over the line into corny town. The Rocket stuff is particularly brutal and so in balancing that out they overdo it
a bit. I was psyched to see a surprising amount of pulls from the Mantlo/Mignola mini-series even if there weren't any space clowns.
[close]

Dude!  I had no idea the Venture Bros had anything else coming out until I saw a one off ad on IG I almost ignored.    Definitely going to spend the money on it to support them because it’s such a good and underrated show.   I just wish streaming and all that kept the episodes in order.   The special eps like Gargantua 2 are wonkily placed last time I checked.
[close]
Max now has them in the correct order but if I recall Guargantua-2 was just straight up missing from Hulu. Same thing with The Doomstar Requiem ending to Metalocalypse but that's on Max now too. The Venture Bros team has said they are down to keep it going as movies so hopefully we at least get a Futurama direct to DVD style run of movies.

Oh that’d be great.   Speaking, Futurama returned for a 3rd time.   New Ep satisfies (and obviously has to be pretty referential about the whole 3 cancellations thing)

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1428
« Reply #10082 on: July 25, 2023, 03:24:46 PM »
The whole venture bros series is getting taken off max. Fuck zaslav, cancel your subscription. I enjoyed the movie, it was so fun getting one last dance with these characters. Even though it should have been season 8, as they had to cut a lot of cool stuff to work with the low budget they gave them to finish the series.

Also really loved asteroid city. I'm gonna have to do a raising Arizona/asteroid city double feature

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10083 on: July 25, 2023, 04:13:10 PM »
The whole venture bros series is getting taken off max. Fuck zaslav, cancel your subscription. I enjoyed the movie, it was so fun getting one last dance with these characters. Even though it should have been season 8, as they had to cut a lot of cool stuff to work with the low budget they gave them to finish the series.

Also really loved asteroid city. I'm gonna have to do a raising Arizona/asteroid city double feature

I purchased that shit on iTunes so I’m safe, but it looks like that rumor is debunked and it’s safe
https://screenrant.com/venture-bros-max-removal-rumor-debunked-jackson-publick/

But fuck zaslav remains pertinent

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3336
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #10084 on: July 25, 2023, 04:34:25 PM »
Asteroid City was fantastic.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10085 on: July 25, 2023, 04:52:05 PM »
Asteroid City was fantastic.

Gay, if a man pulled the Donald duck move that Jason Schwartzman pulled in asteroid city, would you find that erotic?

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10086 on: July 25, 2023, 08:46:47 PM »
Anyone heard of Sound of Freedom? Apparently it’s the Barbie for people who love Qanon conspiracies and has made over $100 mill. They also tricked people into buying another ticket at the end and “paying it forward” resulting in empty sold out theaters of unused tickets. Made me feel very coastal elitey for not knowing what this is when my coworker said he was going to see it.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10087 on: July 25, 2023, 09:31:39 PM »
I heard they're just straight up astroturfing the tix, like the filmmakers are just buying their own tix. Idk how it works, but it doesn't sound like a great business model.

I watched Jim Cavaziel in "The Thin Red Line" not too long ago, and thought he was a good actor. He was okay in "Deja Vu" as well. Did he just play J.C. in the "The Passion..." and decide to red pill his career?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10088 on: July 25, 2023, 09:35:06 PM »
Anyone heard of Sound of Freedom? Apparently it’s the Barbie for people who love Qanon conspiracies and has made over $100 mill. They also tricked people into buying another ticket at the end and “paying it forward” resulting in empty sold out theaters of unused tickets. Made me feel very coastal elitey for not knowing what this is when my coworker said he was going to see it.

Yeah it’s about child trafficking and stars Jim Caveziel.   Outperformed Mission Impossible, which gave right wingers an big “sticking it to Hollywood” boner.   

Very frustrating trying to figure out movie audiences these days and why MI didn’t do better.   Fast and Furious made sense because each movie made less and less and the newest was one of the most expensive movies ever made.   But Dead Reckoning got great reviews, was a great movie, was coming off the back of Top Gun Maverick and each MI made more than the previous.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10089 on: July 25, 2023, 09:38:04 PM »
I heard they're just straight up astroturfing the tix, like the filmmakers are just buying their own tix. Idk how it works, but it doesn't sound like a great business model.

I watched Jim Cavaziel in "The Thin Red Line" not too long ago, and thought he was a good actor. He was okay in "Deja Vu" as well. Did he just play J.C. in the "The Passion..." and decide to red pill his career?

That’s what they do for all the Right Wing books.   Have a PAC or something like that purchase in bulk to get it on the New York Times Best seller list

I think Caveziel (who I liked in Monte Christo?) has always been an arch-conservative Catholic which is why he and Mel clicked so well

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #10090 on: July 25, 2023, 10:17:03 PM »
Watched Slacker (1990) tonight and fuckin loved it. One of Linklater's first films and is basically a live version of Waking Life but instead of profound conversations its more of a hangout movie with just completely random but entertaining interactions between people. Definitely recommend if you like his stuff

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10091 on: July 25, 2023, 11:34:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That’s what they do for all the Right Wing books.   Have a PAC or something like that purchase in bulk to get it on the New York Times Best seller list

I think Caveziel (who I liked in Monte Christo?) has always been an arch-conservative Catholic which is why he and Mel clicked so well

Bingo, he's an insanely melted catholic and very famous on set for being criminally stupid and untrustworthy with stunts, lines or even having a dog on a leash. Check out the QAnonAnoymous (anti q podcast) episode about him.

I also really enjoyed him in count of monte Cristo and deja vu and wondered why he didn't really get roles for many years. Turns out he's a nightmare to work with and a real freak

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #10092 on: July 26, 2023, 12:54:02 AM »
Watched Slacker (1990) tonight and fuckin loved it. One of Linklater's first films and is basically a live version of Waking Life but instead of profound conversations its more of a hangout movie with just completely random but entertaining interactions between people. Definitely recommend if you like his stuff

Slacker is one of my all-time favs.
Would also recommend his Before Sunset trilogy. It's different from Slacker in a lot of ways, but presents time and experience in similar ways, similar worldview.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #10093 on: July 26, 2023, 06:58:17 AM »
That recent Chapo episode on Sound of Freedom was really funny. Never Trust a Pedophile.

Been meaning to watch Slacker ever since Teresa Taylor died recently and I watched some vids about it, seems interesting.

I usually at least like Wes Anderson but he was never one of my favorites, and I hated most of French Dispatch, but I really liked Asteroid City. Feel like I've read a decent amount of negative stuff about it, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Going to see Rashomon tomorrow night, another movie that I've been meaning to see for years.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10094 on: July 26, 2023, 07:24:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Slacker is one of my all-time favs.
Would also recommend his Before Sunset trilogy. It's different from Slacker in a lot of ways, but presents time and experience in similar ways, similar worldview.

Oh yeah an absolute favorite right there. As far as trilogies go, I'd put the Before trilogy 2nd right after LOTR.  I've seen most of Linklater at this point but think I'll check out SubUrbia next, looks like a fun classic 90s era movie of his

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10095 on: July 28, 2023, 01:09:55 AM »
"Brooklyn's Finest" (2009) and "Sicario 2: Day of the Soldado" (2018)

I fell asleep when I saw both of these films in theater, quite disappointed -- they had a real direct-to-video feel to them for me initially -- but I have grown to appreciate them greatly as underrated gems upon rewatches.

I think the Ethan Hawke storyline in "BF" is still a little flimsy, Ellen Barkin really hams it up in a pretty basic role and Will Patton always comes off as super budget to me in, like, a We-Have-Treat-Williams-At-Home type of way (RIP to Treat but he already seemed like a budget Matthew Modine to me).

But the three main storylines are interwoven adeptly, Cheadle was a nice pick for the undercover role and Gere plays a good exhausted simp. I heard someone say the movie is more fun if you look at it as a spiritual sequel to "New Jack City" (the Wesley Snipes character), "Internal Affairs" (the Gere character) and Fuqua's own "Training Day" (the Hawke character), and they're not wrong.

As for "Sicario 2," my main complaint is still the gangster kid they introduce. He lacks any personality really, though I can't tell if it's the actor's fault or if the character is just underwritten. Regardless, it was weird that they chose to hinge the franchise on him and it doesn't appear to have paid of as I think it's dead in the water.

But Benicio del Toro absolutely kills it again and it was cool to see some progression in the Josh Brolin character, who came of kind of one-note in the first movie. Delving into aspects of how the same psychos in government handle terrorism (as opposed to just cartels) behind the scenes was interesting and the superhero shit that Benicio pulls of towards the end -- which I felt was way over the top on the first watch -- finally managed to settle for me (I have no problem fully going with it now). All in all, I think it was a valiant effort and a bit of an accomplishment considering that most of the main creative forces that made the first one so great didn't return (Sheridan's script probably goes a long way in that regard).

By way of comparison, I also fell asleep multiple times seeing "Blade Runner 2049" in theater, but have not developed much love for that film on subsequent rewatches. Some folks really praise that one so maybe I'm just not getting it.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10096 on: July 28, 2023, 10:13:18 AM »
I definitely fell asleep during Blade Runner 2049 and came away thinking it was a bloated bore only to turn around and say that I enjoy watching it in pieces on streaming. I still don't think it's great but there's compelling stuff in there. Mostly, I haven't enjoyed the Harrison Ford revival (other than Shrinking) because he has been too obviously old to play these action roles since Crystal Skull. It's kind of a reflection of our aging political class to me. Like these are the bankable guys an yeah there old as shit but people still show out for them. Nobody is gonna be in love with these movies a few decades from now and they mostly only exist to extend the IP
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #10097 on: July 28, 2023, 05:21:43 PM »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #10098 on: July 31, 2023, 01:34:40 PM »
Saw Oppenheimer on IMAX last night. Definitely good.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10099 on: August 01, 2023, 12:18:14 AM »
Doing a little period Takashi Mike kick with 13 Assassins and Blade of the Immortal.   

I’m trying to thing of a samurai movie that probably was made in the last 15 years where the final battle takes place trying to get into a castle across a bridge with a river below it.   They good guys are also attacking from the rocks by the water as welll trying to get up the hill to the gates.   Not very descriptive, but I just have a vague memory

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 721
« Reply #10100 on: August 01, 2023, 12:44:53 AM »

love that one. best use of the highwaymen ever.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10101 on: August 02, 2023, 08:03:53 PM »
Randomly came across a German film at my nearby theater called Afire and it was really damn good. Subtle but super engaging, some laughs, some tragic moments, stuff to think about and all around really well acted.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26440619/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0_tt_8_nm_0_q_afire

homicidalpsychojunglecat

• Rep: 15
« Reply #10102 on: August 02, 2023, 09:50:38 PM »
I watched Ravenous (1999) last weekend, pretty sure thanks to this thread. Very good, Robert Carlyle was great. And I'm now hooked on the soundtrack. Wish I could find it on Spotify or anywhere I could listen to it that's not Youtube though.

Anyway, thanks to whoever posted about Ravenous here. Favourite movie in a while.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10103 on: August 04, 2023, 07:49:31 PM »
TMNT: MM turned out to be surprisingly good.  It’s more than just a Spiderverse clone.  Well-written with stunning visuals, it’s another fun 3D movie in a summer’s that had plenty.  Point Grey are pretty reliable at this point.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10104 on: August 07, 2023, 12:28:30 AM »
Not a particular fan of horror/A24/A24 horror, but I took a chance on Talk to Me and loved it.   Fun, consistently spooky/scary and didn’t get the best bits spoiled in ads.   Also nice it’s an Aus film so the actors aren’t terrible American teens

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #10105 on: August 07, 2023, 04:58:54 AM »
The Drop. It’s on MAX. James Gandolfini’s last film…RIP

if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

GS77

« Reply #10106 on: August 07, 2023, 05:08:51 AM »

‘No one ever sees you coming…’

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #10107 on: August 07, 2023, 09:52:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Best quote from the movie…. I hadn’t seen it since it was released and forgot about the “twist”… i guess you could call it that.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

GS77

« Reply #10108 on: August 07, 2023, 08:38:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Best quote from the movie…. I hadn’t seen it since it was released and forgot about the “twist”… i guess you could call it that.

Killing them softly. One of many great Gandolfini moments…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10109 on: August 07, 2023, 10:02:03 PM »
Geez Mark Margolis got his own thread, but not one mention of William Friedkin, one out top directors and cool guys