Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 937295 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10620 on: April 12, 2024, 12:26:05 AM »
Back on the subject of Dune - is it common knowledge that there’s a Bene Gessert prequelly series coming out this Fall on Max?

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #10621 on: April 12, 2024, 04:07:53 AM »
Back on the subject of Dune - is it common knowledge that there’s a Bene Gessert prequelly series coming out this Fall on Max?

For me that was not the case so thank you very much!

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #10622 on: April 12, 2024, 02:56:29 PM »
only watching this shit if rebecca ferguson is in it

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10623 on: April 12, 2024, 04:39:55 PM »
only watching this shit if rebecca ferguson is in it

Guess you aren’t watching it - it’s about the start of the BG I believe, so many years before anyone in the movies exists

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10466872/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

Mr. Pickles

• Rep: 39
« Reply #10624 on: April 15, 2024, 11:12:29 PM »
Civil War. Watch it in XD. Sound was incredible.

Was never into anime. Came from a time when it was japanimation. Watched Spirited Away with my 10 year old over the weekend; loved it. He said it was one of the best movies he’d ever seen.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10625 on: April 16, 2024, 12:28:48 AM »
Just watched "The Raid: Redemption" and "The Raid 2" back to back on the big screen. Great flicks. Always loved the first one (saw it twice when it first came out) and I had tried to watch "The Raid 2" on DVD a couple of times but couldn't follow it. But, holy shit, those final fight scenes  are out of this world. Reminded me a bit of "Hostel: Part 2" how it went into the minutiae and world-building. Shit got me pretty hyped.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10626 on: April 16, 2024, 02:52:00 AM »
Just watched "The Raid: Redemption" and "The Raid 2" back to back on the big screen. Great flicks. Always loved the first one (saw it twice when it first came out) and I had tried to watch "The Raid 2" on DVD a couple of times but couldn't follow it. But, holy shit, those final fight scenes  are out of this world. Reminded me a bit of "Hostel: Part 2" how it went into the minutiae and world-building. Shit got me pretty hyped.

Raid 2 was always more my shit because I loved the variety and the fact that during the car chase scene they had camera ops in cars disguised as car seats to mask their transition

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #10627 on: April 16, 2024, 08:02:43 AM »
The Sweet East just blew my mind.

Watched another Jim Jarmusch movie, Down by Law and now I'm super curious to see more of his stuff.  This one was super cool with Tom Waits starring and also doing the music, on Criterion too

One of my all timers. The Tom Waits scene where he's doing the radio host monologue in the prison is so good. I highly recommend Midnight Train !

His first film is a bit of a harder watch but basically everything else he's done is gold.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #10628 on: April 16, 2024, 11:20:04 AM »
The Sweet East just blew my mind.

Expand Quote
Watched another Jim Jarmusch movie, Down by Law and now I'm super curious to see more of his stuff.  This one was super cool with Tom Waits starring and also doing the music, on Criterion too

[close]

One of my all timers. The Tom Waits scene where he's doing the radio host monologue in the prison is so good. I highly recommend Midnight Train !

His first film is a bit of a harder watch but basically everything else he's done is gold.

Sweet yeah Midnight Train is next on my list but also plan to come back to that first film Permanent Vacation.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10629 on: April 16, 2024, 01:53:15 PM »
Zone of interest

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #10630 on: April 19, 2024, 07:45:21 PM »
Anyone see Sasquatch Sunset?  I liked it.

ghost of barry white

• Rep: 4
« Reply #10631 on: April 19, 2024, 11:03:20 PM »
Civil War. Watch it in XD. Sound was incredible.

Was never into anime. Came from a time when it was japanimation. Watched Spirited Away with my 10 year old over the weekend; loved it. He said it was one of the best movies he’d ever seen.

Back this. Civil war in IMAX was buck!

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10632 on: April 20, 2024, 09:54:26 AM »
Mystery Train was awesome as hell, definitely another favorite by Jim Jarmusch

Frownland was an incredibly uncomfortable movie experience but ultimately really damn good too. Watch if you're into feeling absolute anxiety

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #10633 on: April 21, 2024, 07:22:01 AM »
Never saw Possession before so I knocked that off my watch list. My teen daughter came in about a fifth of the way in and was like “wtf is this?” and proceeded to watch the rest which was weird and possibly unhealthy.

Weird, striking, intense. Isabelle Adjani. Sam Fucking Neill. Wish I had seen it sooner.

https://archive.org/details/possession-1981_202205

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
« Reply #10634 on: April 21, 2024, 07:27:22 AM »
Never saw Possession before so I knocked that off my watch list. My teen daughter came in about a fifth of the way in and was like “wtf is this?” and proceeded to watch the rest which was weird and possibly unhealthy.

Weird, striking, intense. Isabelle Adjani. Sam Fucking Neill. Wish I had seen it sooner.

@augustmoon

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10635 on: April 21, 2024, 10:09:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@augustmoon

Haha! I actually reverse image searched his avatar a long time ago because I didn’t know what it was from! That’s one of the reasons for putting it on my watch list. 

Crust

• Rep: 42
« Reply #10636 on: April 21, 2024, 01:47:52 PM »
Stand By Me

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10637 on: April 21, 2024, 02:13:13 PM »
Really enjoyed Liberty Kid.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10638 on: April 21, 2024, 03:32:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Raid 2 was always more my shit because I loved the variety and the fact that during the car chase scene they had camera ops in cars disguised as car seats to mask their transition

2 was on Netflix for maybe a month and then it disappeared. I appreciate the visual variety as well, although it’s really violence overload in a way that not everyone can stomach (including me sometimes as I get older). Part one is insane for a sophomore directorial effort under those circumstances but it is kind of monotonous for me.

There’s a kid at my local Bahn Mi place that looks just like the young villain guy is part 2 and it freaks me out and I want to say something but hold my tongue.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
« Reply #10639 on: April 23, 2024, 06:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

@augustmoon
[close]

Haha! I actually reverse image searched his avatar a long time ago because I didn’t know what it was from! That’s one of the reasons for putting it on my watch list.

haha thats awesome.  still one of my favorite movies, but it can be a challenge to get through sometimes.  i think i posted it earlier in this thread, but you might want to check out the director's sci fi film "on the silver globe".  its equally incredible/difficult, but well worth it:

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10640 on: April 23, 2024, 09:45:16 PM »
Daddy Longlegs (2009) was a hell of a movie. Stressful as hell but loved every minute of it. Directed by the Safdie brothers but cowritten and starred by Ronald Bronstein who directed Frownland I mentioned above. Basically a raw ass story of a father struggling to raise his kids in the chaos of NYC. On Criterion channel