Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 715953 times)

cookieboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #5700 on: February 24, 2015, 12:33:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Was looking to get some pointers, I recently got a canon eos 33 (i think they also call it a canon elan 7). It's my first film camera and I was hoping to get some pointers when shooting with film. Also any recommendations on what kind of film to buy? I'm new to this and just been shooting with my dslr. Also I was given these two argus cameras. Not sure the model of the top of my head but they're very old. Was wondering if anybody knew anything about them as I'd like to shoot with this camera as well.
[close]

id recommend cheap film for starting out. look on ebay or amazon and see if you can find some kodak gold 200 or kodak ultramax 400 for cheap. if you look around, you can find that stuff for under $3 a roll, and its not bad for what its worth. i like fuji superia 400 and 800 too. those tend to run a bit more expensive, but are still pretty cheap. i wouldnt spend your money on anything thats going to cost you more than $5 until you know what youre doing. also, if youre using a camera thats pretty cheap, or the lens is old and dirty, its my opinion that putting expensive professional level film through gear like that is a waste of money.

the biggest thing youre going to want to look for is whether or not youre cameras work before you load any film in them. if you dont know how to do that, set the camera on manual mode, open the aperture as wide as it goes, and set the camera on a long shutter speed, then open the back of the camera so you can look through the lens from the back and fire the shutter. if you see it open, good. then set it for a faster shutter speed and do the same thing. if its noticeably a faster shutter, youre good. now go back to a slower speed, but close the aperture down and fire it again. if you can see that the aperture is stopping down, then everything is good. if the camera doesnt have manual controls, open it up and fire the shutter in different lighting conditions. if you see that the camera is adjusting to the light correctly, your fine. its also a good idea to put new batteries in the camera if its really old. i dont have any experience with any of the cameras you listed, but google and youtube are your friends.

Thanks for the feedback JB. I put in new batteries and had a roll of film that I used on it. The pictures came out decent. I just messed around but I haven't checked any of the things you have listed. I'll make sure to check all this stuff once I'm home. I guess i'll begin on reading up how to use the camera. I found the manual for both cameras but I'm not really sure where to begin. I've been a little impatient after seeing all the stuff you guys post and I'd like to join in.

Also when buying rolls of film on say ebay, what things should I look at and keep in mind?

Thanks again for the kind help!

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #5701 on: February 24, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Was looking to get some pointers, I recently got a canon eos 33 (i think they also call it a canon elan 7). It's my first film camera and I was hoping to get some pointers when shooting with film. Also any recommendations on what kind of film to buy? I'm new to this and just been shooting with my dslr. Also I was given these two argus cameras. Not sure the model of the top of my head but they're very old. Was wondering if anybody knew anything about them as I'd like to shoot with this camera as well.
[close]

id recommend cheap film for starting out. look on ebay or amazon and see if you can find some kodak gold 200 or kodak ultramax 400 for cheap. if you look around, you can find that stuff for under $3 a roll, and its not bad for what its worth. i like fuji superia 400 and 800 too. those tend to run a bit more expensive, but are still pretty cheap. i wouldnt spend your money on anything thats going to cost you more than $5 until you know what youre doing. also, if youre using a camera thats pretty cheap, or the lens is old and dirty, its my opinion that putting expensive professional level film through gear like that is a waste of money.

the biggest thing youre going to want to look for is whether or not youre cameras work before you load any film in them. if you dont know how to do that, set the camera on manual mode, open the aperture as wide as it goes, and set the camera on a long shutter speed, then open the back of the camera so you can look through the lens from the back and fire the shutter. if you see it open, good. then set it for a faster shutter speed and do the same thing. if its noticeably a faster shutter, youre good. now go back to a slower speed, but close the aperture down and fire it again. if you can see that the aperture is stopping down, then everything is good. if the camera doesnt have manual controls, open it up and fire the shutter in different lighting conditions. if you see that the camera is adjusting to the light correctly, your fine. its also a good idea to put new batteries in the camera if its really old. i dont have any experience with any of the cameras you listed, but google and youtube are your friends.
[close]

Thanks for the feedback JB. I put in new batteries and had a roll of film that I used on it. The pictures came out decent. I just messed around but I haven't checked any of the things you have listed. I'll make sure to check all this stuff once I'm home. I guess i'll begin on reading up how to use the camera. I found the manual for both cameras but I'm not really sure where to begin. I've been a little impatient after seeing all the stuff you guys post and I'd like to join in.

Also when buying rolls of film on say ebay, what things should I look at and keep in mind?

Expiration date for sure.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

cookieboy

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5702 on: February 24, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Expiration date for sure.

When a roll of film expire, is it completely useless?

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #5703 on: February 24, 2015, 12:54:02 PM »
Nah, it depends on the type of film and how well it was stored. Film stored in a fridge will hold up much better over time. Grain will often be more prevalent on most rolls and with C41, the color will be affected depending on how old it is. Black and white seems to hold much better. I've had a friend who's shot with b/w from the 1960s and it turned out grainy, but looked pretty decent.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #5704 on: February 24, 2015, 12:54:48 PM »
Ithaca, NY ~2003. Disposable camera.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #5705 on: February 24, 2015, 02:14:31 PM »
expired film can look pretty cool sometimes. it just looks more degraded kind of. sometimes it looks perfectly fine. the only problem ive had with expired film was a pack of polaroid film from 01 that i tried to shoot last year and it was totally dead. i think polaroid had a much shorter life than your typical 35mm film though.

and unless you have a lot of money, patience is very important when it comes to photography. i wasted so much money when i first got into film buying a bunch of shitty cameras and running through rolls of film just because i wanted to go out there an push the shutter down. just take your time, be patient, pay your bills before you drop off 10 rolls of film to be developed, and try to take photos that you actually like. i often find myself framing up a shot and thinking "is this something id share with people? is this something id print and hang up?" if i dont think it is, i dont shoot. not every shot you take is going to be good, but if you try to resist a lot of the really bad shots, you'll have more good ones to choose from when you get your film back.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #5706 on: February 24, 2015, 03:03:37 PM »

last one is a test at my new crib.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

JLay24

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5707 on: February 24, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »
Where are you located? I have a local place here in Baltimore, but when I'm sending out, there's Citizens in Portland, Oregon and Dwayne's Photo in Kansas. Citizens is moving spaces right now so I'm not sure when they're accepting film again, but I've heard Dwayne's does a good job.

If that sending out business just ain't for you, there's always CVS, Costco, or any of those places that'll do it on the cheap. Just be weary that they tend to do a worse job at it in the sense that they may cut your film strips poorly, dirty up your negs, etc. I still have a lot of friends who are perfectly fine with the chain store development and swear by it.

I'm in Union City, NJ. I figure there's places in NYC, just haven't really looked around yet. Nor do I fully know what I should really be looking for.
Thanks for the advice!

JLay24

• Rep: 1
« Reply #5708 on: February 24, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Hello Slap Pals, I recently (finally) was able to get a film camera and was wondering where the best places are to get the film developed? It's 35mm (400 color)  if that makes a difference?

Thanks guys!

Lots of sick photos in this thread too
[close]

i send mine to mpix.com. they will send envelopes to your house, then you just mail your film back to them. id recommend it if youre shooting a pretty large amount of film and want to save a few bucks. cvs is ok, but nobody working there is going to be a photo expert, nor will they give a shit about your film, so you tend to get crappy scans from there, and since they dont know what theyre doing and their equipment is always broken, it can take them a really long time to finish your order. where i am, they typically charge anywhere from $8-10 to develop and scan your film, which in my opinion is pretty expensive. the last time i went though mpix, i got 12 rolls developed, scanned, and put on a disc for around $85-90, which compared to cvs is a huge discount. the process can be a little bit confusing, but if you decide to go with them and need help, you can PM me.

theres plenty of options out there if you look around. im sure anything cadillac mentioned is a good bet too. id say if you're paying more than $10 a roll, keep looking. especially if you're just starting out.

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I'll definitely look into it and let you know if I need any help.

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5709 on: February 26, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »
Little Kauai trip.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5710 on: February 26, 2015, 12:47:36 AM »
just got a load of film developed, but the fuckers forgot to scan it and i cant really get access to one right now. damn waiting.

so heres a old one that was from my first roll i tried to develop myself. even though i fucked this frame up, i like it. you know, its film, black and white and has this great imperfection, no way you cant call that art. or something.

okdad

« Reply #5711 on: February 26, 2015, 06:25:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Where are you located? I have a local place here in Baltimore, but when I'm sending out, there's Citizens in Portland, Oregon and Dwayne's Photo in Kansas. Citizens is moving spaces right now so I'm not sure when they're accepting film again, but I've heard Dwayne's does a good job.

If that sending out business just ain't for you, there's always CVS, Costco, or any of those places that'll do it on the cheap. Just be weary that they tend to do a worse job at it in the sense that they may cut your film strips poorly, dirty up your negs, etc. I still have a lot of friends who are perfectly fine with the chain store development and swear by it.
[close]

I'm in Union City, NJ. I figure there's places in NYC, just haven't really looked around yet. Nor do I fully know what I should really be looking for.
Thanks for the advice!

Pro-Lab in Clifton does a great job, although they charge a lot for scanning. If you wind up shooting a lot, invest in a scanner and save big bucks.
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5712 on: February 26, 2015, 09:54:34 AM »
Kauai looks rad! I'd love to shoot there.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #5713 on: February 28, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Andrew

• Rep: 100
  • lightcatcher
« Reply #5714 on: February 28, 2015, 11:05:41 PM »
been goin through rolls i've shot since summer. been really into the date stamp on the stylus lately

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 11:07:31 PM by Andrew »
The only thing you nerds grind down is yer keyboard keys.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5715 on: March 02, 2015, 02:13:16 PM »
i havent had the money to get any film developed lately, and its been so damn cold out this winter that i havent really had the motivation to go outside and shoot. i figured id give something totally different a shot and came up with this shit. im sure its not everyones thing, but im happy im still making shit.

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #5716 on: March 02, 2015, 10:02:09 PM »

youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5717 on: March 03, 2015, 01:20:52 PM »

Tear Gas, Tahrir Square, Cairo, Egypt, 2012
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Councilman Doug

« Reply #5718 on: March 07, 2015, 01:47:42 AM »
messing around at this beat up old diy spot yesterday, used to be sick but everything got wrecked. The little hip thing is kinda fun but sketchy to skate.

• Rep: 58
« Reply #5719 on: March 07, 2015, 05:44:31 AM »

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #5720 on: March 08, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »

Councilman Doug

« Reply #5721 on: March 08, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
^ are you still just shooting with the stylus epic?

Andrew

• lightcatcher
« Reply #5722 on: March 08, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
yeah, it's all I've been shooting with lately! great camera to have on me at all times. really stoked to have found a good digi/film combo, i've been running the x100 + stylus for the past year or two. Feels good to not have to worry about gear anymore. I think people tend to give up on cameras too easily, I know a bunch of people who bought and sold their x100 within a span of a month. Not nearly enough time to get comfortable/used to a camera in my opinion. Finding one or two cameras you are comfortable with and know well are way more important than having the newest lenses or systems.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:41:03 PM by Andrew »

• Rep: 58
« Reply #5723 on: March 08, 2015, 08:00:27 PM »

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5724 on: March 09, 2015, 06:51:12 AM »

N.L.

« Reply #5725 on: March 09, 2015, 02:11:56 PM »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #5726 on: March 09, 2015, 02:15:14 PM »
^wow, that is a great shot. love everything about it

N.L.

« Reply #5727 on: March 09, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »
Thanks! I've been taking a lot of abstract photos of waves without surfers stinking them up and thought I'd start doing the same with bowls...

Councilman Doug

« Reply #5728 on: March 10, 2015, 02:55:28 AM »
yeah, it's all I've been shooting with lately! great camera to have on me at all times. really stoked to have found a good digi/film combo, i've been running the x100 + stylus for the past year or two. Feels good to not have to worry about gear anymore. I think people tend to give up on cameras too easily, I know a bunch of people who bought and sold their x100 within a span of a month. Not nearly enough time to get comfortable/used to a camera in my opinion. Finding one or two cameras you are comfortable with and know well are way more important than having the newest lenses or systems.

that seems like a rad combo! easy to carry around everywhere.

Heres a spontaneous hike from last night.

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5729 on: March 10, 2015, 04:20:33 AM »
So jealous of where some of you guys live.