Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717512 times)

sx70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 37
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #870 on: August 02, 2010, 05:08:47 PM »

my roommate Tarzan..

• Rep: 58
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #871 on: August 04, 2010, 09:44:55 AM »

hasselbladical

• Rep: 55
« Reply #872 on: August 04, 2010, 06:57:22 PM »
Didn't even know this thread existed. I'm sleeping hard!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/curtisrothney

Some other stuff over on the blog too:

http://fourcorners.tumblr.com
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:01:31 PM by hasselbladical »

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #873 on: August 04, 2010, 07:14:01 PM »

Super sick dude. I really wish I could learn how to take skate pics. I just don't know that many skaters anymore.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #874 on: August 04, 2010, 09:39:27 PM »

really enjoyed paging through your flickr, man.  noted that you use a pentax me super for some of my favorites, can i ask what kind of a lens you typically have on it?

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #875 on: August 05, 2010, 01:30:00 AM »

You had stuff on that dutch dude from here's site didn't you? Really good shit.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #876 on: August 05, 2010, 04:37:27 AM »

hasselbladical

« Reply #877 on: August 05, 2010, 06:19:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
really enjoyed paging through your flickr, man.  noted that you use a pentax me super for some of my favorites, can i ask what kind of a lens you typically have on it?

Thanks dude! When I had my Pentax, which was actually my first 35mm SLR, I always used a 50mm. Pretty standard lens, I guess I was too lazy to buy anything more because I knew I wouldn't be on the Pentax program for too long. I sold it off a while ago to make room for my Fm2n which is easily my favorite 35mm camera.

The Pentax was a good thing to jump into shooting film for the first time with because by default (there is a full manual mode) it's an aperture priority camera. Do you have one? Or were you thinking of buying one? Nikon > Pentax...... haha.

Mooley, that was me for sure! Derk is a rad guy and hooked me up with a gallery on there and then asked me to become a park of the site for good. We're trying to get an actual online mag to go with the site for September so that should be pretty cool. Thanks mayne.

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #878 on: August 05, 2010, 09:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
really enjoyed paging through your flickr, man.?  noted that you use a pentax me super for some of my favorites, can i ask what kind of a lens you typically have on it?
[close]

Thanks dude! When I had my Pentax, which was actually my first 35mm SLR, I always used a 50mm. Pretty standard lens, I guess I was too lazy to buy anything more because I knew I wouldn't be on the Pentax program for too long. I sold it off a while ago to make room for my Fm2n which is easily my favorite 35mm camera.

The Pentax was a good thing to jump into shooting film for the first time with because by default (there is a full manual mode) it's an aperture priority camera. Do you have one? Or were you thinking of buying one? Nikon > Pentax...... haha.

Mooley, that was me for sure! Derk is a rad guy and hooked me up with a gallery on there and then asked me to become a park of the site for good. We're trying to get an actual online mag to go with the site for September so that should be pretty cool. Thanks mayne.
i picked one up, basically near-mint, at a yard sale for 5 bucks.  attached was a kind of iffy-looking 50mm pancake lens, so i'm just trying to get an idea of what some folks have slapped on theirs if/when i decide to change it out.  thanks for the response man.

frank

• Rep: 1
« Reply #879 on: August 05, 2010, 12:20:12 PM »
whats crappenin

hasselbladical

« Reply #880 on: August 05, 2010, 03:39:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
really enjoyed paging through your flickr, man.?  noted that you use a pentax me super for some of my favorites, can i ask what kind of a lens you typically have on it?
[close]

[close]
i picked one up, basically near-mint, at a yard sale for 5 bucks.  attached was a kind of iffy-looking 50mm pancake lens, so i'm just trying to get an idea of what some folks have slapped on theirs if/when i decide to change it out.  thanks for the response man.

That's awesome dude. I had a weird f/2 50mm. This one here:
http://www.photographyattic.com/img/lenses/pentax_50-2_lens.jpg

Produced decently sharp stuff. But I mean, you honestly can't complain with a $5 dollar set up.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #881 on: August 06, 2010, 04:02:05 AM »
if sem rubio is still using a canon ae1 then it must be something good. the lenses are pretty sharp for that price. it took me a while to realize what effects film, a good lens and use of modern technology (scanner and photoshop) have on a picture. but even without it it's possible to create great stuff ... later on I will try to develop my first roll of film ... hopefully I'll have some decent results

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #882 on: August 06, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »
allright, got my first roll. tmax 100 in xtol 1:2 ... pictures are just test shots, there's not a story behind them or anything.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #883 on: August 07, 2010, 11:35:18 PM »

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #884 on: August 08, 2010, 10:42:27 AM »
^^^^Like the second pic.

I tried taking some skateboard pics yesterday. Still don't have the best eye for it but I can only do so much with the equipment I have.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #885 on: August 08, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »
Should be getting some slides scanned today. It's been far too long since I've posted anything in here.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #886 on: August 09, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »
a local LA blog used one of my photos .  stoaked

http://laist.com/2010/08/08/extra_extra_938.php
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #887 on: August 10, 2010, 02:09:49 AM »

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -369
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #888 on: August 10, 2010, 03:19:32 AM »
More bullshit.

fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

saucy ragu

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #889 on: August 12, 2010, 12:17:03 PM »
I recently got a Nikon N-70 that was donated to my job. This is my first venture into film and hopefully a new hobby. Here are some of my favorites of the two rolls I've developed so far.

Quote from: brent
sorrymom, when 112 sing to you what kinda feelin do it bring to you?

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #890 on: August 12, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
cool stuff ragu.  bring the camera everywhere with you and you'll be hooked.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bgetty/

just upgraded my flickr account and dumped tons of new photos into the nikon set.  came up on a $5 pentax ME super (w/ weird wide angle lens attached as some of the photos demonstrate) and the test roll came out nice, so that's up too.

some from the nikon

and the pentax

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:17:29 PM by Brandon »

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• Rep: 10000
« Reply #891 on: August 12, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »
I do skate photography a LOT. It actually could potentially turn into a career soon... if I get a deal with this mag out of Philly and my bro's underground board company sponsor.

Heelflip (My brother Jeff)

Huge Ollie to Fakie: Oscar Matute

My boy Dave Green in Portland, Maine - BS Smith

My bro Jeff - Heelflip Curb Gap

Just a few of my better ones. I fucking love skate photog.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #892 on: August 12, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »
BS Tailslide, my buddy Dave in Portland, Maine

An ad for me and my bro's company we're trying to get going. I guess this was a Back 3 Kickflip, but we got particular and said 270.
or maybe its because your fist has to first be purified in the waters of lake minnetonka before it can touch dylons.

Scallywag crew!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #893 on: August 12, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
Brandon....those are some dope captures.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #894 on: August 13, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »
I do skate photography a LOT. It actually could potentially turn into a career soon... if I get a deal with this mag out of Philly and my bro's underground board company sponsor.

sorry to say that bro, but you're far away from being a photographer who earns money with it. the only good thing is that you don't do buttshots and you catch the right moment, but for the rest ... I can see that you know nothing about taking pictures. you have low technical skills, not a good equipment and you need to learn about light, techniques and composition. it's a long way!

take a look at skateperception, try to learn from the dudes who post there and improve your pictures! I really don't want to talk shit to you, but your pictures could do anyone with a dslr.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 167
« Reply #895 on: August 13, 2010, 01:15:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sorry to say that bro, but you're far away from being a photographer who earns money with it. the only good thing is that you don't do buttshots and you catch the right moment, but for the rest ... I can see that you know nothing about taking pictures. you have low technical skills, not a good equipment and you need to learn about light, techniques and composition. it's a long way!

take a look at skateperception, try to learn from the dudes who post there and improve your pictures! I really don't want to talk shit to you, but your pictures could do anyone with a dslr.

It's true.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

« Reply #896 on: August 13, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »

« Reply #897 on: August 13, 2010, 09:53:41 AM »

The Ghermanator

• Rep: 0
« Reply #898 on: August 13, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »

Skwisgaar Skwigelf

« Reply #899 on: August 13, 2010, 01:22:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Considering the work that I do is with a standard Kodak digital camera and I can't afford anything else right now, Mr. Critic, I'd say it's pretty good. It's funny that you also say I'm far from earning money, when actually... I'm not... I mean I'm not Joey Shigeo and I won't be paid $2000 for a photo... but a small payroll is in order. It's not Zero or anything, but it's a small board company called Minion boards. The 'zine just just a small-time local one, not a Thrasher thing, here. You have no idea of the situation I'm in right now, so don't go acting like you do haha. I'm not trying to get defensive or anything, I'm just telling you what's up. So until I see some pictures YOU take and you show me that YOU are a better skate photographer, I'll take your advice. But it really can't be helped right now with the current equipment I have.

Sorry if that came off as really defensive and bitchy. It wasn't meant like that.

HOWEVER: Criticism comes with the game, and I perfectly understand this and thank you for it. Scott Pommier said in his article in the June '05 issue of TWS, that there is nothing better than someone shitting on your work.
I wasn't implying I'd be paid by Emerica to do a shot for Westgate 3 Flipping that gap on one of the Stay Gold ads. But a small, miniature pay for photoshoots, yes. I know I'm not that horrible.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:37:56 PM by Skwisgaar Skwigelf »

Scallywag crew!