Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 715976 times)

Sphere

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
    • Dekker Pepper avatar image
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #6960 on: May 24, 2020, 06:37:50 AM »
Some infrared shots taken with my full spectrum converted Fuji.

Oh man I love your infrared pictures, really impressive to see this, never know how beautiful this could be. Keep it up!

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #6961 on: May 25, 2020, 11:07:31 AM »
Quote from: Fishsticks link=topic=25512.msg3296470#msg3296470 date

This one has a very surrealistic feel to it

Kumiko

• Rep: 56
« Reply #6962 on: May 26, 2020, 01:26:32 AM »

i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

thepman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -94
« Reply #6963 on: May 26, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »
Thought this was the most appropriate thread to ask this - Has anyone had any experience with super 8 cameras? I've been looking into getting one for a project i'm working on, wondered if anyone had any recommendations? and just any general advice on their experience with them.
skating is all about choosing your outfit very deliberately, going out in public. looking super sick. and then riding your board a little bit

onslo

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6964 on: May 27, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »
looking at getting back into photography after over 10 years out of the game. what a reasonably priced dslr's are people using for skating and miscellaneous shots these days? i used to use a nikon d50

SSBS1080CBBSNP

• Rep: 18
« Reply #6965 on: May 27, 2020, 09:38:50 PM »
Really stunning images Fishsticks
Quote from: Fishsticks link=topic=25512.msg3296470#msg3296470 date
Expand Quote

[close]

The temp shift and tones you got are unreal in this one. Nice color palette flowing in those images.

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6966 on: June 11, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »
I'm looking for honest feedback and critique by someone I don't know, so what better place than Slap?

https://www.instagram.com/palasonix/

I mostly shoot street photography around Tokyo.

BieberStance

• Rep: -18
« Reply #6967 on: June 12, 2020, 12:51:29 AM »

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 969
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6968 on: June 12, 2020, 06:19:09 AM »

That's totally not the frickin photo but whatever
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:21:16 AM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fishsticks

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6969 on: June 12, 2020, 05:48:47 PM »

Thank you.

Really stunning images Fishsticks
The temp shift and tones you got are unreal in this one. Nice color palette flowing in those images.

Appreciate it.

How?

Digital camera. Public spaces. Look around. Push button. No mysteries here.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #6970 on: June 12, 2020, 07:54:47 PM »
I'm looking for honest feedback and critique by someone I don't know, so what better place than Slap?

https://www.instagram.com/palasonix/

I mostly shoot street photography around Tokyo.

I think it would be more helpful if you post up specific shots you wanted feedback on. After a quick glance your photos look solid though.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #6971 on: June 29, 2020, 03:29:53 AM »

My son, at one and two years old

ShadowKhaN

• Rep: 7
  • Yea
« Reply #6972 on: June 29, 2020, 03:59:04 AM »

The only lens I own is a 35mm (fuji xt2) I feel like im not confident enough to really use it to its potential because I am scared to get close enough. feel like a majority of my shots I have to crop and i just feel sloppy

Fishsticks

• Rep: 30
« Reply #6973 on: July 18, 2020, 06:09:19 AM »
Bill Dane Pictures ...it's not pretty

Just finished my first book project promoting the work of Bill Dane.

In 2015 I went to visit with Bill Dane for the first time. For those who don't know, Bill's work would appear in many different contexts in the '70s and '80s. He had a solo show at MoMA in 1973, was represented by Fraenkel Gallery, was part of the Mirrors and Windows catalog and received two NEA fellowships and two Guggenheim fellowships. Garry Winogrand mentioned him in interviews as one of the interesting contemporary photographers of the time and John Szarkowski lectured on his work. He was perhaps best know for his postcard work. However, he had all but disappeared from the institutions by the mid-90s.

I was curious to learn more about who he was, what he'd done and why he transitioned from the galleries to the internet. Our conversations form the basis for this book and it's the result of nearly five years of work. The book is self-published and printed in an edition of 500 using offset technology in Lithuania.

ISBN — 978-0-578-66395-1
Pages — 328
Cover — Hardcover
Size — 245mm x 245mm
Price — 60$ / 599 NOK (+shipping)
Payments can be done through VIPPS, Paypal or bank transfer.
To order a copy - contact danskjaeveland(at)gmail.com
For US orders - visit https://billdane.com/buy/book
___

"Bill Dane’s work is not easily reducible. No convenient ism appears to explain his artistic trajectory. Dane’s photographs of found images (ephemera, long-gone advertisements, store window displays) root down into the cultural subtext and narratives others have insidiously hidden in plain sight, those images with designs on us. In this sense, and this sense only, Dane is a street photographer.

But content is deeper than form, and his photographs have the subconscious life that well-made paintings do. Part autobiography, part documentary, this book includes a running voice-over by the artist, delivered in a jazzy parataxis that takes us back to the rollicking candor of the Beat poets. It offers us testimony and creed. This fleshes out the work beautifully.

This book offers great insight into the maturation of America throughout a very difficult time period. Miles Davis, who appears in here, blew his shivers through the universe. Bill Dane does too."
William B. Keckler, writer and visual artist.

Containing 222 photographs mixed with 100 texts, this self-published, no-frills monograph shows us the world as seen and experienced through Bill Dane's being.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 09:05:44 PM by Fishsticks »

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #6974 on: August 20, 2020, 04:45:22 PM »
Theres some fairly harsh critique of this photo by Atiba in another thread. I was going to post this in the thread but figured it might be good to post it here to get the input of some other photographers.

This was how it was posted in the original thread:

I also noticed that Atiba has posted this more cropped version on his insta:

Not a great photo and he's definitely lost in the background but it also looks like it would be a difficult spot to shoot.

I'm not sure how I would approach it. Maybe in a bit closer with a wider lens but this would distort the length of the gap which is pretty impressive in itself.

Probably put some flash on Colllin in to highlight him from the background.

What would you do?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6975 on: August 20, 2020, 08:30:15 PM »
swiping really helped for distance
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #6976 on: August 20, 2020, 09:05:37 PM »
Maybe use a prime lens and get more focus on Colin to separate the background

Matze

• SLAP Pal
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #6977 on: August 21, 2020, 01:28:12 AM »
I've been thinking about purchasing my frist digital camera for skate stuff. shooting film only is damn expensive (36 tries= 15-20 euros) ... I have good canon ef lenses (15mm, 50mm 1.4 and a 135mm f2) so I guess a used 5d would be the cheapest option. does anyone have experiences with the mark I or II?

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #6978 on: August 21, 2020, 08:48:58 PM »
I've been thinking about purchasing my frist digital camera for skate stuff. shooting film only is damn expensive (36 tries= 15-20 euros) ... I have good canon ef lenses (15mm, 50mm 1.4 and a 135mm f2) so I guess a used 5d would be the cheapest option. does anyone have experiences with the mark I or II?

I would highly recommend a 5dii. I've had a few of them and they're great. Really good image quality and you can buy them super cheap on ebay. I bought one recently for $650 AUD (€394). Try to get one with a low shutter count (under 50,000 is what I was looking for) as the shutters do eventually fail but I think they're rated to approx 250,000.

Full frame is essential if you've ever used a cropped sensor. I won't ever go back.

I've used them for shooting skating heaps. Only weakness I can think of is at 4 frames per second it's not quite fast enough for professional level sequences but still ok if you've got a slowish trick.

Let me know if you've got any questions and I'm happy to help out
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #6979 on: August 21, 2020, 10:24:57 PM »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6980 on: August 22, 2020, 02:06:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would highly recommend a 5dii. I've had a few of them and they're great. Really good image quality and you can buy them super cheap on ebay. I bought one recently for $650 AUD (€394). Try to get one with a low shutter count (under 50,000 is what I was looking for) as the shutters do eventually fail but I think they're rated to approx 250,000.

Full frame is essential if you've ever used a cropped sensor. I won't ever go back.

I've used them for shooting skating heaps. Only weakness I can think of is at 4 frames per second it's not quite fast enough for professional level sequences but still ok if you've got a slowish trick.

Good advice with the shutter count. I never had any digital camera (besides an iphone), so some stuff is new to me. There is a reason why everything smaller than 35mm died in photography so I will not go for anything smaller haha. X-sync with 1/200 seems okay too with the 5d mark ii.
What program do you use for editing and how much time do you spend on a single picture?

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #6981 on: August 22, 2020, 04:44:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Good advice with the shutter count. I never had any digital camera (besides an iphone), so some stuff is new to me. There is a reason why everything smaller than 35mm died in photography so I will not go for anything smaller haha. X-sync with 1/200 seems okay too with the 5d mark ii.
What program do you use for editing and how much time do you spend on a single picture?

200 sync is workable. I generally just use photoshop or the camera raw input. Not doing anything too complex- straightening, cropping, levels. Minor adjustments
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #6982 on: August 29, 2020, 12:55:23 AM »
I've been taking more photos recently, and thought I'd film a short street/film photography video walking around a traditional neighborhood in Tokyo. It's my first video (aside from editing skateboarding clips) I've ever made, so tips and critique would be really appreciated.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 667
« Reply #6983 on: October 01, 2020, 03:39:24 PM »
don't know where to post this :
lengthy Ed templeton interview by great photographer Blake Andrews

http://blakeandrews.blogspot.com/2020/10/q-with-ed-templeton.html

Kumiko

• Rep: 56
« Reply #6984 on: November 05, 2020, 07:18:49 PM »
Kinda dorky/2011 tumblr aesthetic, but I accidentally opened the back with a roll still in (I thought I rewound the whole roll, but was wrong) and I'm into some of the shots that got messed up. Plus a few other snapshoots.

i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

SLAPASONIC

« Reply #6985 on: November 15, 2020, 08:46:29 AM »
I made another street/film photography video around my neighborhood in Tokyo. Just an afternoon of cruising and photos on my Rollei 35. It's kind of corny and camera work is shit, but being able to film anything at all is fun.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6986 on: November 15, 2020, 11:50:19 PM »
ahhh nice! makes me want to go to tokyo and take a shitload of pictures.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #6987 on: November 18, 2020, 12:05:53 AM »

Year 3

I.C. Weiner

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6988 on: December 08, 2020, 01:26:23 PM »
Found you can make a little portfolio site when you sign up for adobe, rustled this together

https://patrickcoyle.myportfolio.com/journal

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1361
« Reply #6989 on: December 08, 2020, 01:32:05 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good beginner slr camera? I've only messed around with point and shoots from goodwill.