Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 714934 times)

Cellular

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #6990 on: December 09, 2020, 11:15:25 PM »

over a year late but this is a great picture

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #6991 on: December 09, 2020, 11:28:25 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good beginner slr camera? I've only messed around with point and shoots from goodwill.

A film slr? Depends on what era and functions you're after. If you want fully manual,  I started on a pentax spotmatic f. They're fairly simple to use and the lenses are sharp. I still use mine pretty regularly and it takes great photos. Buy one that comes with a 50mm 1.4 lens and you're good to go.

If you want something a bit newer, theres plenty of late 90's-2000s era canon slrs that would of cost a fortune at the time that are now only a hundred or so dollars. You can still put current canon slr lenses on them, make use of auto focus, aperture priority etc
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #6992 on: January 18, 2021, 06:36:45 AM »
Hey Slap film photographers, what is your go to film ? I shot a lot of Portra and HP5 but I am quite bored of always using the same films for like 5 years.. Since i do a lot of portrait for my work (I mostly shoot bands for promo pictures / records covers) I want to experiment something new, get out of my comfort zone but don’t know. Fujifilm ? Or Kodak Ektar ? I read so much things on the internet but most of the tests / articles / videos I looked at were made by YouTubers / bloggers I don’t relate to.

I don’t mind using old / expired films so if you have recommandations. I have never tried « alternatives » like Cinestill for example.

I mostly shoot film with my Contax G2 + flash for info.

Thanks

Kumiko

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6993 on: January 18, 2021, 08:04:23 AM »
Hey Slap film photographers, what is your go to film ? I shot a lot of Portra and HP5 but I am quite bored of always using the same films for like 5 years.. Since i do a lot of portrait for my work (I mostly shoot bands for promo pictures / records covers) I want to experiment something new, get out of my comfort zone but don’t know. Fujifilm ? Or Kodak Ektar ? I read so much things on the internet but most of the tests / articles / videos I looked at were made by YouTubers / bloggers I don’t relate to.

I don’t mind using old / expired films so if you have recommandations. I have never tried « alternatives » like Cinestill for example.

Thanks

I don't have a go to, but have fucked around with a good number of alternatives. Cinestill is really nice IMO. I've only developed one roll a few years ago on some cheapo point-and-shoot and even those I found appealing. I imagine they'll look even better with proper focus and exposure than that toy. Here's a few examples of that: https://imgur.com/a/ZvorxIq

I also really liked Film Washi. The roll I had was 12 ISO and I'm shit at photography so most of my shots didn't come out as intended, but if you're doing a lot of portrait stuff with flash, it is worth having a go. The blacks are fucking black and the whites are white instead of just a wash of shades of grey. Here's a few examples of that: https://imgur.com/a/4H3M7a2

I also never had a good experience with Fujifilm, though I only tried the Superia x-tra 400 when I first got my camera and wanted to figure out how to use it, make sure it worked etc. It was likely due to inexperience, but even the shots I liked weren't really appealing enough to keep using the stuff. Here's a few examples of it: https://imgur.com/a/zffs7UD

Revolog also has a lot of fun stuff, but it probably isn't that appealing if you're shooting stuff professionally since a lot of it purposefully goes for a washed out look. Here's some of what I got from them: https://imgur.com/a/QZBrfW2

Hope this helps a little bit.
i love skateboarding all the time, but sometimes i wish i was one of those douchebags who hangs out with hot girls and parties every week

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6994 on: January 18, 2021, 09:38:30 AM »
Try a slide film too. I usually keep it with ektar, portra 400 and kodak ultramax for Color photography. Never tried the regular lomo films, but they seem nice too. For b/w I use mostly delta 400 and push it a stop or two.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6995 on: January 18, 2021, 12:04:26 PM »
ae-1 | portra 800 double exposure

ae-1 | portra 800

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

PlugSkullcandy

« Reply #6996 on: January 18, 2021, 12:15:05 PM »
Thank your for your replies !

Grind King Rims

« Reply #6997 on: January 18, 2021, 02:01:52 PM »

I don’t mind using old / expired films so if you have recommandations. I have never tried « alternatives » like Cinestill for example.

Thanks

I bought a bunch of expired colour positive of off some local guy. I got a good deal on it, but it's also like 12 rolls of film to work through, and I didn't know that colour positive film is more expensive to develop (at least where I live, since no one in the country does it commercially it has to be shipped abroad).

The daytime colours are really amazing, but if it's not sunny it tends to look quite drab.

PlugSkullcandy

« Reply #6998 on: January 18, 2021, 04:56:08 PM »
Thanks for all your recommandations and examples
As I said in my post I shoot film for work so I tend to shoot always the same rolls for « security »

Tomorrow i’ll go to my lab they actually have plenty of choice, say goodbye to my euros !

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #6999 on: January 27, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »
Dropped a month's worth of film photos on my friend's website! These were mostly shot on my Nikon FM with Kodak Gold 200 and Cinestill film. I'm really surprised at how well Kodak Gold does in all lighting situations and I'll definitely be shooting a lot more of it.

https://thedusroom.com/august19hao

I really like how these photos look.

I want to start taking pictures when I go out but I don't really know where to start. I have a  ae 1 I think, but I don't really want to bring something that big out. I would prefer to just buy a point and shoot camera, but my photos won't look anything like @Made In China ,right? Also all three pictures look so different from one another in terms of color, how does that happen? Is that messing with the settings or is it the lighting of the rooms? If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it!

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #7000 on: January 27, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »
use your ae1 to learn about composition, shutterspeed and aperture, and get a CHEAP point and shoot for going out. Don't fall for the hype on pricey contax and yashicas

shitsandwich

« Reply #7001 on: January 27, 2021, 05:55:23 PM »
use your ae1 to learn about composition, shutterspeed and aperture, and get a CHEAP point and shoot for going out. Don't fall for the hype on pricey contax and yashicas

Yeah that sounds like a good idea

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7002 on: January 27, 2021, 06:05:46 PM »

kinda agree but i loved my nikon 28ti .. here is a sample shot from my first roll with it

What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7003 on: January 27, 2021, 06:19:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

kinda agree but i loved my nikon 28ti .. here is a sample shot from my first roll with it

that's a really cool shot and also kind of my dream point and shoot but I would not recommend it as a first 'going out" camera

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #7004 on: January 28, 2021, 09:25:20 AM »

This. AE1 will teach you more about photography than a point and shoot. That being said, go grab one from a thrift store and carry it with you at all times. It will help the process of “failing faster”, and the more you shoot the faster you’ll progress. Just make sure you don’t skip the fundamentals.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #7005 on: January 28, 2021, 09:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Dropped a month's worth of film photos on my friend's website! These were mostly shot on my Nikon FM with Kodak Gold 200 and Cinestill film. I'm really surprised at how well Kodak Gold does in all lighting situations and I'll definitely be shooting a lot more of it.

[close]

I want to start taking pictures when I go out but I don't really know where to start. I have a  ae 1 I think, but I don't really want to bring something that big out. I would prefer to just buy a point and shoot camera, but my photos won't look anything like @Made In China ,right? Also all three pictures look so different from one another in terms of color, how does that happen? Is that messing with the settings or is it the lighting of the rooms? If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it!

As others have already said, the best way to learn about taking photos and the process of it would be to take your AE-1 out with you and practice with it. That was also my first SLR camera and what I used to shoot photos for years. Having a SLR camera like an AE-1 isn't as fun, simple, or pocketable as a point and shoot, but it'll force you to learn how shutter speed, aperture, and other factors will affect your photos.

The AE-1 also isn't that different from the Nikon FM that I used to shoot these three photos. They look so different from each other primarily because of the lighting in each. All three were shot in artificial light, but very different kinds of them. The first was in the harsh fluorescent light of a thrift store, and fluorescent light tends to come out with a green tone in most films. The second was in a combination of fluorescent and neon lights of a local fast food place, which evened each other out and led to that cinematic kind of lighting that I like a lot. The third one was in a very dimly lit venue (remember being able to go to live shows??), which is why the lighting is so drastically orange-y red, as that was the only light hitting the signer. That photo is also a double exposure, which you could also do with your AE-1.

Sorry if that's a lot of info, I've been shooting film photography for a couple of years now and love to share what I've learned. I'm also stoked that you dug these photos up from over a year ago and like them so much! Feel free to DM me here if you have any other questions, because I'm always happy to help! You can also find me on instagram @hihaoareyou.

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
« Reply #7006 on: January 29, 2021, 09:55:22 AM »
Best point and shoot to carry around that's cheap?

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7007 on: January 29, 2021, 10:00:35 AM »
Depends if you're in a hurry or not. You could get an olympus mju online or try your luck in thrift stores
Most basic point and shoot are actually good enough for party pictures, just make sure you got a working flash on it

shitsandwich

« Reply #7008 on: January 29, 2021, 03:45:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

As others have already said, the best way to learn about taking photos and the process of it would be to take your AE-1 out with you and practice with it. That was also my first SLR camera and what I used to shoot photos for years. Having a SLR camera like an AE-1 isn't as fun, simple, or pocketable as a point and shoot, but it'll force you to learn how shutter speed, aperture, and other factors will affect your photos.

The AE-1 also isn't that different from the Nikon FM that I used to shoot these three photos. They look so different from each other primarily because of the lighting in each. All three were shot in artificial light, but very different kinds of them. The first was in the harsh fluorescent light of a thrift store, and fluorescent light tends to come out with a green tone in most films. The second was in a combination of fluorescent and neon lights of a local fast food place, which evened each other out and led to that cinematic kind of lighting that I like a lot. The third one was in a very dimly lit venue (remember being able to go to live shows??), which is why the lighting is so drastically orange-y red, as that was the only light hitting the signer. That photo is also a double exposure, which you could also do with your AE-1.

Sorry if that's a lot of info, I've been shooting film photography for a couple of years now and love to share what I've learned. I'm also stoked that you dug these photos up from over a year ago and like them so much! Feel free to DM me here if you have any other questions, because I'm always happy to help! You can also find me on instagram @hihaoareyou.
Awesome! this was the kind of response I was hoping for. I'm feeling inspired to just bring out the ae1 and see what happens.
Yup there's a lot of really cool pictures in here but these ones stood out to me. Thats a pretty funny ig handle lol, I just hit you with the follow

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #7009 on: March 02, 2021, 09:06:30 AM »
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation of a fisheye lens to use with a canon dSLR?

I'm looking for something to use for skating so preferably a lens that is sharp and quick to auto focus.

Maybe the Canon 8-15mm f4 L lens?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #7010 on: March 02, 2021, 11:42:57 AM »
Hi, does anyone have a recommendation of a fisheye lens to use with a canon dSLR?

I'm looking for something to use for skating so preferably a lens that is sharp and quick to auto focus.

Full frame or crop sensor?
I admit i don’t really know anything about modern lenses but why a fisheye zoom?
If your body is fullframe, i doubt it has much use at it’s widest for skating and if it’s a crop sensor the 15mm is pretty useless, no?
Or do you want a fisheye that works with any sensor size?

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7011 on: March 02, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I admit i don’t really know anything about modern lenses but why a fisheye zoom?
If your body is fullframe, i doubt it has much use at it’s widest for skating and if it’s a crop sensor the 15mm is pretty useless, no?
You don't use autofocus filming fisheye
The 2012 answer would be the cheap samyang (and equivalents under other names) 8mm
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 02:18:02 PM by Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein »

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #7012 on: March 02, 2021, 03:38:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
You don't use autofocus filming fisheye
The 2012 answer would be the cheap samyang (and equivalents under other names) 8mm

Hi thanks for your responses.

Sorry I should of specified, I'm using a full frame camera (5dii) and looking for a lens for photography stills not filming.

Whilst I've used somewhat wide angle lenses (24mm and a long time ago 19mm) I'm looking for something where I can get closer and more in frame
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7013 on: March 02, 2021, 09:54:55 PM »
Canon made the 15mm f/2.8 fisheye too but you would have to find that used somewhere. Sigma has one too but not sure how the focus is.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7014 on: March 03, 2021, 10:12:16 AM »
I want a signature photo of a few skaters. Should I just hit them up on the gram and be like I'll send you a painting I made and you can send me a photo?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #7015 on: March 03, 2021, 05:17:34 PM »
I want a signature photo of a few skaters. Should I just hit them up on the gram and be like I'll send you a painting I made and you can send me a photo?

Like of pros? They might not have a good version of the image, as I don’t think they’d have the original file. You’re probably better off hitting up the photographer. But you never know, it’s worth a try.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #7016 on: March 03, 2021, 05:20:34 PM »
Canon made the 15mm f/2.8 fisheye too but you would have to find that used somewhere. Sigma has one too but not sure how the focus is.

Thanks for your suggestion Fong. I've looked up the Canon 15mm and read a few reviews and they sound like a good lens. There's a few on ebay that are reasonably priced so this is looking like a decent option
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #7017 on: April 28, 2021, 06:27:27 PM »
Anyone in here running the Fujifilm X100v?

I’m looking at that or the Leica d lux 7.

Any input or other options in that class appreciated
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Bay10Blues

• Rep: 5
« Reply #7018 on: April 29, 2021, 02:45:09 PM »

The Fuji X100 series are excellent. I’ve used a slightly older model as a travel camera and as a backup to my full kit, I work as a photographer, several times with excellent results. Never used the Leica, but only obvious advantage I see is that the Leica has a zoom lens, while the Fuji is a fixed 35mm lens equivalent. I love that about the Fuji, but it really depends on your needs and style of shooting. Fuji is smallish, and durable, good colors and simple to set up and use.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #7019 on: April 29, 2021, 04:21:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Fuji X100 series are excellent. I’ve used a slightly older model as a travel camera and as a backup to my full kit, I work as a photographer, several times with excellent results. Never used the Leica, but only obvious advantage I see is that the Leica has a zoom lens, while the Fuji is a fixed 35mm lens equivalent. I love that about the Fuji, but it really depends on your needs and style of shooting. Fuji is smallish, and durable, good colors and simple to set up and use.

Thanks! I’m 99% positive I’m going to grab the Fuji. I’ve been reading/watching a ton of reviews the last day or 2 and I’m pretty sure it’s the one. I don’t NEED the zoom and I feel the features of the Fuji are the better option. I especially like their film simulation. I don’t mind the fixed lens, I know that if I went with something like the X-Pro3 I would end up needing a bag for lenses. The X100 is small enough to fit into everyday life without having to do much extra.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma