24 (41.4%)
8 (13.8%)
10 (17.2%)
3 (5.2%)
30+
13 (22.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: April 05, 2021, 09:31:00 PM

Author Topic: SLAP’s COVID Weight Loss Club  (Read 8891 times)

Buttfart Rapedick

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
Re: SLAP’s COVID Weight Loss Club
« Reply #270 on: December 01, 2021, 04:01:45 AM »
Totally unrelated to covid, but I started smoking weed again over the summer and lost 20 pounds pretty quickly. It basically solved my eating out of boredom habit and between actually enjoying eating again and there being 2 dispensaries on the same block as giant eagle has lead to me shopping for fresh groceries more regularly instead of just pounding easy mac and uncrustables from the Walgreens around the corner. It's made skating much more enjoyable and less painful and I've definitely been getting more attention from the hags at work.

One of the best changes I made was swapping chips or other salty/savory snacks for seaweed roasted in sesame or avocado oil. You can get huge sheets of it or precut snack packs and its cheap, filling, nutritious, and delicious. A good bit of sodium though so if you have issues with that they do make unsalted ones but the taste can be unappealing.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #271 on: December 01, 2021, 07:36:17 AM »
Pot makes me loose weight also. Haven’t smoked in a few months—waiting for legal weed to begin in NJ. Good for you. I am back to my starting weight but getting back on the weight loss train cause I don’t like the way my pants are fitting and I refuse to go up a size cause I’ll never return from that…

Buttfart Rapedick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2021, 05:30:24 AM »
Pot makes me loose weight also. Haven’t smoked in a few months—waiting for legal weed to begin in NJ. Good for you. I am back to my starting weight but getting back on the weight loss train cause I don’t like the way my pants are fitting and I refuse to go up a size cause I’ll never return from that…

Some sativa strains are more effective an appetite suppressant than nicotine or caffeine for me. When I first got my card I was almost exclusively using sativas because I didn't really know much other than i like sweet and piney weed. Now that I've learned a lot more about different terpenes and my own body and what works I've been using those strains early in the morning and then tapering off into more indica leaning strains which do stimulate my appetite. So between not eating as much and then having healthier munchies the weight just kind of fell off. It made me realize this is probably my natural weight and I've been walking around overweight but not really noticing because I didn't look "fat".

When you do get your card if you want to learn about terpenes and the biochemistry of cannabis or choosing a strain feel free to hit me up. There's a ton of good information and resources online but the most important thing to remember is that everyone is different and what does one thing to you might do something totally different to someone else. It's kind of like skate gear... You may have to experiment for a while until you find the one that fits you best.

TheBoognish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2021, 12:16:16 PM »
16 lbs down since the last week of August.

Fuck yeah, I’m stoked.

IusedToSkateMore

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 413
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2021, 12:36:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some sativa strains are more effective an appetite suppressant than nicotine or caffeine for me. When I first got my card I was almost exclusively using sativas because I didn't really know much other than i like sweet and piney weed. Now that I've learned a lot more about different terpenes and my own body and what works I've been using those strains early in the morning and then tapering off into more indica leaning strains which do stimulate my appetite. So between not eating as much and then having healthier munchies the weight just kind of fell off. It made me realize this is probably my natural weight and I've been walking around overweight but not really noticing because I didn't look "fat".

When you do get your card if you want to learn about terpenes and the biochemistry of cannabis or choosing a strain feel free to hit me up. There's a ton of good information and resources online but the most important thing to remember is that everyone is different and what does one thing to you might do something totally different to someone else. It's kind of like skate gear... You may have to experiment for a while until you find the one that fits you best.

unless it's at night and I'm ripping indica, weed and coffee suppress my appetite like crazy. no joke. I'm not saying it's all related, but since last February I've been on the mushroom microdose, small amount of THC candy, and coffee most mornings, I've dropped down from 165ish to staying at 140ish since May or so. Dropping those unexpected lbs really makes ya feel better all around.
stay high, lay low

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 351
  • old and in the way
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2021, 09:42:10 AM »
Congrats to everyone on this thread. SLAP is killing it on this health mission.
I've been having a difficult time getting started with a regimen but I've been trying to exercise before and after work, and eat better with portion control and intermittent fasting. The hunger gets me so psycho sometimes though and it can make my attitude HALT piss poor.
I've recently been weighing myself twice a week and I'm lost around 6 lbs, which I'm psyched about, but  I'm trying to get some strength/muscle going. I got doughy after I broke my ankle.
Before work I ride my exercise bike and do some active stretches. At work I try to run up and down the stairs several times a day and sneak off and do pt cardio. I try to do more stuff after work but I'm usually too tired.
The hardest parts lately have been getting motivated to exercise. After work its especially difficult and I just want to curl up and watch 30 Rock. That might be winter depression though. Like in a box.
Also I struggle with snacking on candy at bedtime. For some reason I get ravenous when I'm getting ready to drift off and nothing in my fridge is safe.
Any of you found tools/skills to help curb the late night sweet tooth?

Easy Slider

• Rep: 197
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »
I've been having a difficult time getting started with a regimen but I've been trying to exercise before and after work, and eat better with portion control and intermittent fasting. The hunger gets me so psycho sometimes though and it can make my attitude HALT piss poor.
I've recently been weighing myself twice a week and I'm lost around 6 lbs, which I'm psyched about, but  I'm trying to get some strength/muscle going. I got doughy after I broke my ankle.
Before work I ride my exercise bike and do some active stretches. At work I try to run up and down the stairs several times a day and sneak off and do pt cardio. I try to do more stuff after work but I'm usually too tired.
The hardest parts lately have been getting motivated to exercise. After work its especially difficult and I just want to curl up and watch 30 Rock. That might be winter depression though. Like in a box.
Also I struggle with snacking on candy at bedtime. For some reason I get ravenous when I'm getting ready to drift off and nothing in my fridge is safe.

You need a hard withdrawal. Get rid of all unhealthy stuff so if you have a craving there will be only healthy stuff, rice waffles, a carrot, a spoonful of peanut butter…

Do the exercise right when you get home first thing, before settling on the couch or getting comfy.

You made a good start, don‘t give in.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2021, 10:08:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You need a hard withdrawal. Get rid of all unhealthy stuff so if you have a craving there will be only healthy stuff, rice waffles, a carrot, a spoonful of peanut butter…

Do the exercise right when you get home first thing, before settling on the couch or getting comfy.

Thats good advice. I've got so little self discipline with food, but luckily the fancy "organic" Reeses I bought taste like chalk, so I'm going to try and set up some pre-arranged healthier night snacks.

biaherl

• Rep: 75
    • Why So Sad
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2021, 11:26:38 AM »
Exercising before work and after work is too much. If you want muscle and strength you only need to exercise 3 times a week if that

You need calories to build muscle so you might be starving yourself more than you think. It's defeating and it causes people to quit

Do your strength training in the morning if it's calisthenics, bands or weights (2 to 5 times a week) and go for a 20+ minute walk or skate after work for a stress reliever everyday (even if you don't feel stressed)

Keep making healthy choices with your food but try to get near a gram of protein per pound of body weight and forget about weighing yourself the next 12 weeks

I've lost 43 pounds this year while gaining 10 pounds multiple times. Diet periodization works the best for me

IusedToSkateMore

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2021, 12:07:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thats good advice. I've got so little self discipline with food, but luckily the fancy "organic" Reeses I bought taste like chalk, so I'm going to try and set up some pre-arranged healthier night snacks.

hey friend. it's hard to get started. I really began losing the LBs when I was also on my ass from an ankle injury last winter. It was changing up my relationship with food. I didn't weight myself from January til May and was really surprised. I feel like weighing oneself numerous times per week can lead to unreasonable expectations- there are days when, if I'm constipated and at a big meal, I'll weigh 4-5lbs more than the day before... just saying.

My biggest source of additional fat was peanut butter. No joke. I have a fixed up shake for lunch most days and I'd put 2-3 big globs of sugar free peanut butter in there. I'd eat that shit off the spoon like a candy bar... too much of a good thing isn't good anymore, feel me?

a great, hooked up meal replacement shake goes like this for me:

1/3 scoop plant based protein (whole scoop leaves me bloated)
1 TBSP hemp seeds (lots of easily digestible protein)
2 TBSP PB2 Powdered Peanut butter (no sugar, 1.5g fat, 12% daily protein)
1 TBSP Lions Mane mushroom powder
1.5 Whole Frozen Banana
1/2 cup plain coconut milk (watch for added sugars)
rest of cup filled with h2o and ice

TBH, I can drink half of this at 130pm and feel satisfied until dinner most days. The start up costs are kind of expensive up front, protein, hemp seeds, etc, but it ends up being a $2-3 meal, which isn't too bad in my opinion considering how much eating out or making a bagged lunch costs.

As for exercise, I know we're all different, but start slow and easy. I've been running regularly again after Covid, it's been 12 weeks now. Rather than tying to hoof it hard, I've been doing the same 1.1 mile loop 4 days, a different 2.2 mile loop 2 days, and a day off. It's about sustainability for me. Going hard 1 or 2 days and feeling like ass the rest of the time doesn't really get anything done.

stay high, lay low

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2021, 04:18:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

hey friend. it's hard to get started. I really began losing the LBs when I was also on my ass from an ankle injury last winter. It was changing up my relationship with food. I didn't weight myself from January til May and was really surprised. I feel like weighing oneself numerous times per week can lead to unreasonable expectations- there are days when, if I'm constipated and at a big meal, I'll weigh 4-5lbs more than the day before... just saying.

My biggest source of additional fat was peanut butter. No joke. I have a fixed up shake for lunch most days and I'd put 2-3 big globs of sugar free peanut butter in there. I'd eat that shit off the spoon like a candy bar... too much of a good thing isn't good anymore, feel me?

1.5 Whole Frozen Banana

TBH, I can drink half of this at 130pm and feel satisfied until dinner most days. The start up costs are kind of expensive up front, protein, hemp seeds, etc, but it ends up being a $2-3 meal, which isn't too bad in my opinion considering how much eating out or making a bagged lunch costs.

As for exercise, I know we're all different, but start slow and easy. I've been running regularly again after Covid, it's been 12 weeks now. Rather than tying to hoof it hard, I've been doing the same 1.1 mile loop 4 days, a different 2.2 mile loop 2 days, and a day off. It's about sustainability for me. Going hard 1 or 2 days and feeling like ass the rest of the time doesn't really get anything done.

@IusedToSkateMore How are you, dude? That a great shake recipe. I've never had hemp seeds or lions mane before but I'll check them out. Glad to hear you're running again! I'll PM you.

IusedToSkateMore

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2021, 04:24:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

1.5 Whole Frozen Banana

[close]

@IusedToSkateMore How are you, dude? That a great shake recipe. I've never had hemp seeds or lions mane before but I'll check them out. Glad to hear you're running again! I'll PM you.

I'm hanging, my friend. semester is winding down and I'm scraping through papers!

I use the lions mane mushroom powder for its cognitive effects, it's not necessary for a meal shake, it's just what I do. Hemp seeds are a great source of digestible protein and DEFINITELY cheaper than fancy protein powders if you can find them at like Costco or something.

drop me a pm anytime!!!
stay high, lay low

Buttfart Rapedick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2021, 02:17:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

unless it's at night and I'm ripping indica, weed and coffee suppress my appetite like crazy. no joke. I'm not saying it's all related, but since last February I've been on the mushroom microdose, small amount of THC candy, and coffee most mornings, I've dropped down from 165ish to staying at 140ish since May or so. Dropping those unexpected lbs really makes ya feel better all around.

Ya I remember you telling me about your morning routine. I haven't always responded well to mushies (literally the only drug that's ever made me black out and wake up on the ground with my terrified friends standing over me in a circle) so I don't really have any interest in that but I'm the same way with coffee and sativas. I wont even think about eating until im coming down but I get this crazy like primal level satisfaction from ice water. Its like the best thing on earth when I'm baked, especially if I'm skating or otherwise working up a sweat.

For the guys who are prone to snacking on sweets but want something healthier my go-to is grapes. They're the right size to satisfy the snacking ritual and some of the newer kinds (cotton candy, moon drops, sweet snaps etc) taste like straight up candy when they're ripe. I also dip them in yogurt or eat them with cheese if I want to switch it up and add some protein.

PuffinMuffin

• Rep: 301
« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2021, 07:35:30 AM »
Been doing intermittent fasting with an 8-hour window, AKA skipping breakfast with a fancy name. Before work, I've been jumping on the trainer and doing an hour of intervals. Trying to lose 10 pounds and get back to where I was before the knee injury.

Used to get lots of motivating comments like "Eat a sandwich", "are you anorexic?", "do you want to talk about it?" etc. I really miss those days.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

abdullah thee butcher

• Rep: -3
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2021, 08:54:40 AM »
make the fat work for you.

IusedToSkateMore

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2021, 12:11:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ya I remember you telling me about your morning routine. I haven't always responded well to mushies (literally the only drug that's ever made me black out and wake up on the ground with my terrified friends standing over me in a circle) so I don't really have any interest in that but I'm the same way with coffee and sativas. I wont even think about eating until im coming down but I get this crazy like primal level satisfaction from ice water. Its like the best thing on earth when I'm baked, especially if I'm skating or otherwise working up a sweat.

For the guys who are prone to snacking on sweets but want something healthier my go-to is grapes. They're the right size to satisfy the snacking ritual and some of the newer kinds (cotton candy, moon drops, sweet snaps etc) taste like straight up candy when they're ripe. I also dip them in yogurt or eat them with cheese if I want to switch it up and add some protein.

grapes are good!

my lady got us on Prunes. she says they're good for pooping purposes, but I'm pretty regular anyways. either way, the prunes are pretty filling and sweet.
stay high, lay low