Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 19801 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #480 on: February 25, 2024, 06:24:36 PM »
Those Revstars are so fucking cool. Great to see something which isn't another T-shape or Stratocaster. I haven't played one and I'll probably never buy one, but Yamaha really nailed it with those new guitars. Kind of amazing how good of a guitar maker Yamaha is, when you think about it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #481 on: February 26, 2024, 08:30:11 PM »
^I’ve been coveting one of those for a while!

I’ve not found the p90 version in person yet but I will say I’ve noticed some variation in finish for the Revstars I’ve played. A few have been amazing and a few have had sharp frets.

https://reverb.com/p/yamaha-revstar-ii-standard-rss02t?hfid=79803056&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17683198501&utm_content=campaignid=17683198501_adgroupid=143800496092_productpartitionid=1682313739620=merchantid=5327822858_productid=79803056_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=608998621630&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAivGuBhBEEiwAWiFmYSF6DVsHT0V1JEHlPAbQaSpozYOyQxTyy4oWUXxyEUapOPre2cEDrRoCgwoQAvD_BwE

here's a used one in great shape for $690 - I have found a few used for around the $600 mark, but they are few and far between. most of them, even used, are upwards of $800, and I totally get why.

---

I set up outside to play a little bit because the weather has been absolutely stellar, and about 15 minutes in, out of the quarter of my eye, I see a flock of peacocks walking up to me. They sat and chilled for a bit and just watched me. Pretty wild!

https://youtube.com/shorts/tyceXiuAd_I?si=65DmwP7B_DhMLj0R

the guitar is a 1991 Peavey Raptor that I purchased a few weeks ago. I got a STEAL on it... $130 in mint condition. I couldn't say no!

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #482 on: February 26, 2024, 09:38:49 PM »
flea, the tort looks so good with that burgundy...

finally got my hands on a 60s tube sunn head. now to spend another 6 months prowling marketplace and craigslist for a matching 215 cab.....

recent stupid purchase, keeping on the red theme:

My heart skipped a beat.

This is the instrument of dreams. I have two double necks there. One has a fender b6 bottom and a mandolin top. I wish I could pull them from my mind.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #483 on: February 26, 2024, 09:44:13 PM »

was testing a few different guitars at guitar walmart today and was shocked they had this same yamaha revstar. this guitar has always looked so good to me, and it played better than I could have imagined. had a lot of power with the help of the double p90s (God tier pickup set up btw,) but it had the playability of a jazz guitar. the price tag was a little steep at +$900, but I know for certain what my next guitar is going to be.

Omg. I love this guitar. The homie had one. I tried to buy it off them but they wasn't down for payments. Lump sum and stat to satisfy their Jones. Was super sad to see
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #484 on: February 26, 2024, 09:57:25 PM »
My band mainly my bass player is wanting me to have more gain.
I disagree but have agreed to change my OD2 out. I'm a little bummed. The od2 has been my main since the very beginning. In 1992 I bought both my first peddles. The other was a Rat. I gave that to the homies in Armpits after they answered the call to back me up at the Democracy Ctr in Cambridge. Was a benefit. So I gave them the peddle after as a sign of respect and a token of my appreciation to Armpits (Boston grindcore punks)
It was the light up A style with the P308 chip that everyone loves

I was wondering if pals could help me with suggestions. I want a decent distortion/fuzz with lots of gain to spare and it would be sick if it had a boost.
(I don't use gates or potted pickups. My preference is to be as microphonic as possible so I can hear all of my hard earned hand tone.

I seen some I like but I can't afford $260. I was just going to get the 5150 OD but the boost is wrong. It needs to be set up like the Jhs At+. Which my band already said not enough gain.

My rig is a Carvin X100 I use the clean channel. It doesn't break up no matter how loud you go. Probably why the angry charlie isn't satisfying my bassist. Peddle would work better for like a 50w situation.
I also use a cocked wah peddle.

I'd just buy a boost but I really do gotta replace that old ass peddle.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #485 on: February 27, 2024, 02:27:17 PM »
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #486 on: February 28, 2024, 07:24:58 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/shoneswood?igsh=MWc1ZHRpbG9oM2YxZw==

Check out this cool peddle co from Canada. They use decks to make enclosures. I need something.
(A)pl(E)

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2024, 04:56:28 AM »

Started playing after my first concussion skating around 15. Stepped away from skating to focus on that, and every band I played in had a board around. Couldn’t escape it. Still have my P bass from back then.

These days it’s just about a small rig and good jam. That Jazzmaster is a Squire, hard to tell.

Lurked this thread for too long. Awesome to see heads with cool taste.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #488 on: March 04, 2024, 09:26:41 AM »
My band mainly my bass player is wanting me to have more gain.
I disagree but have agreed to change my OD2 out. I'm a little bummed. The od2 has been my main since the very beginning. In 1992 I bought both my first peddles. The other was a Rat. I gave that to the homies in Armpits after they answered the call to back me up at the Democracy Ctr in Cambridge. Was a benefit. So I gave them the peddle after as a sign of respect and a token of my appreciation to Armpits (Boston grindcore punks)
It was the light up A style with the P308 chip that everyone loves

I was wondering if pals could help me with suggestions. I want a decent distortion/fuzz with lots of gain to spare and it would be sick if it had a boost.
(I don't use gates or potted pickups. My preference is to be as microphonic as possible so I can hear all of my hard earned hand tone.

I seen some I like but I can't afford $260. I was just going to get the 5150 OD but the boost is wrong. It needs to be set up like the Jhs At+. Which my band already said not enough gain.

My rig is a Carvin X100 I use the clean channel. It doesn't break up no matter how loud you go. Probably why the angry charlie isn't satisfying my bassist. Peddle would work better for like a 50w situation.
I also use a cocked wah peddle.

I'd just buy a boost but I really do gotta replace that old ass peddle.
What’s your bass player mean by “more gain”?  By setup like the JHS AT+, do you mean a dirt pedal with a footswitchable boost? 

The cocked wah makes me wonder if maybe you aren’t accidentally notching out some frequencies that are leaving you buried in the mix.

Man, MXR is blowing it by not making the boost footswitchable.

2 options I can think of: 1. EHX Hot Wax. Seems like it’s not uncommon for shops to stock a pretty full EHX lineup, so you might be able to demo. Also cheap used. 2. Stack a Rat or like an Op Amp Muff with the OD2.  I’m a vintage and “magic chip” skeptic; there’s plenty of affordable non “vintage”  pedals with lm308’s.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #489 on: March 07, 2024, 02:50:05 PM »
Yeah, the Yamaha Revstars have really brought something fresh to the table! I totally get what you mean about the sea of T-shapes and Stratocasters out there. It's cool to see Yamaha pushing the envelope and adding some new flair to the guitar world. Their knack for crafting quality instruments across the board is pretty impressive, considering they're not just limited to guitars but excel in pianos, drums, and more.

Their attention to detail and quality, even in their more affordable models, really sets a high standard. If you're interested in diving deeper into guitar reviews, you can find here more insights into what makes certain brands stand out. They cover a wide range of music equipment and could offer some valuable perspectives on Yamaha's lineup and beyond.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 06:11:48 AM by brucewillis »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #490 on: March 07, 2024, 04:57:11 PM »

Started playing after my first concussion skating around 15. Stepped away from skating to focus on that, and every band I played in had a board around. Couldn’t escape it. Still have my P bass from back then.

These days it’s just about a small rig and good jam. That Jazzmaster is a Squire, hard to tell.

Lurked this thread for too long. Awesome to see heads with cool taste.

I love this fiddle. I'm trying to find a fender body rn. Strat or whatever just not a tele rn. I'm going to paint it Burgundy Mist under Oxblood. My two favorite 60s colours. Hit it with some fine grit sandpaper and expose the BMist.

I've wanted another strar since my Custom G&L got ripped off with all my og stuff.

Super sad times. When my best friend passed all my stuff disappeared. When my next best friend died I got my first pedal back. Then a mutual friend stole it out my room because they wanted something that was used by two dead homies.

That's art life. :-\

I'm so morbid  :o anyway you a dope thing there. Another pals got similar. I watch his IG video riffing from time to time.

Very different from what I do but excellent none the less.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #491 on: March 20, 2024, 10:44:40 AM »
Does any pals have any parts caster parts they could trade or donate to my project?

I have a shockingly good sounding dog ear p90 I was planning on putting on this teli but unfortunately I can't use this body as the person reneged on the trade for my Ibanez bass.

Which is free for pick-up by anyone who wants to start playing bass.

I also have a vintage Epiphone 380? Short scale bass. I was going to convert it to a guitar but I was told it wouldn't work out. Idk if I believe them as I've made a short scale bass out of a guitar before.

Anyway let me know if you're down. I'm offering trade on social media too so hopefully this will take off soon.

I'm a good trader. I always try hard to take care of the people who helped me build my dream feeling instruments.

I'd be down to trade my sick ass Sheridan two from the early 00s but I love it sooooo much more than it's worth. I just don't have a case for it. I wouldn't mind training that for a jag or a mustang.

I'm looking hard for one.

I'd be down to drive as far as like pa for the right trade.

I know it sounds like a lot of work for shit that's not worth more than 600 tops but I'm into it.

Also I feel meeting other underground musicians regardless of genra choice is thebeez kneez. I've had many trading adventures over the last 30 years. I've met two of the awesomest people I've ever known around it.

Unfortunately when I got on real drugs at 20 they did the intelligent thing an cast a drift from the rest of our people. Cuz we was infecting others.

I had the same plan but I could look away from my people of the innermost circle.
And
Now I'm the last one standing I wish to build the perfect anti drug. Infection others with it's freedom.

The guitar and the skateboard are the only things stronger than L.S.-xani-crac-oin. Which I felt like in invented

That is all
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #492 on: March 20, 2024, 10:53:22 AM »
I did find one trade that I almost went for.

I could trade my Episode r0 failed clone by Epiphone. It has the best 700t ceramic pickup I've ever heard but I hate 60s thin necks.

For a Clapton soft v strat neck.

This would be me taking a ugly hit in my opinion as that guitar is worth way more than it's store value because it's abnormally sick for a cheaper LP copy

I just hate the neck carve. I like vintage shapes that fully fill the hand
(A)pl(E)

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #493 on: March 20, 2024, 11:07:57 AM »
My dad exclusively played acoustic guitars his whole life, when he passed away last year I inherited about 8 acoustic guitars but the actual last guitar he ever bought was a Squier HSS strat that he bought about a month before he passed because he wanted to give electric guitar a shot.

As a dominantly bass player, it's the only electric guitar I own (aside from an unidentified 50s' Gretch hollowbody electric that I don't play, needs a lot of work).

So my conundrum is, a part of me wants to hot rod the living fuck out of that Squier. Swap out new pickups, hardware, maybe even the neck. Maybe even custom paint. The other part of me wants to leave it exactly as my father bought it.

Any thoughts on this?
If pro-Hot Rod, any advice on getting the most out of a Squier HSS strat?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #494 on: March 20, 2024, 11:29:14 AM »
My dad exclusively played acoustic guitars his whole life, when he passed away last year I inherited about 8 acoustic guitars but the actual last guitar he ever bought was a Squier HSS strat that he bought about a month before he passed because he wanted to give electric guitar a shot.

As a dominantly bass player, it's the only electric guitar I own (aside from an unidentified 50s' Gretch hollowbody electric that I don't play, needs a lot of work).

So my conundrum is, a part of me wants to hot rod the living fuck out of that Squier. Swap out new pickups, hardware, maybe even the neck. Maybe even custom paint. The other part of me wants to leave it exactly as my father bought it.

Any thoughts on this?

Squire shit is fire. HSS is my second favorite configuration after triple H.
I would consider a nitro finish. Gun oil finish neck.
My dream is to have a burgundy mist under coat with an Oxblood finish.

That Clapton carve soft v neck with a compound radius is always on my mind.

If I can. I plan on collecting as many "cheap" instruments as I can and building customers out of them.

Start Ass Fleas Custom Shop. One of my main influences in this is CCS Kevin.
You ever watched Kevs Creations? I fuckin loved that show.
I led me to imagine what if I could build guitars like crazy shit out of parts that go mostly underappreciated.

I wish I lived out there. I'd definitely ask to work in a wearhouse. Wearhouses are fuckin awesome. Look at all the thoughts I got from Ben Degros ' visit to Baha.
I saw that coping and thought We need a Slap oim or whatever Baha edition finalists get passed over to thrasher koth and the entire trip ends at bust or bail.

I Kno it's not possible but it's a beautiful dream that video gave me.

This is how I dream. I wanna share nice things we go with the word. Especially underappreciated aspects of our art culture.

Even with my band Scumbari. My mindset is what elements from the past of hardcore or other genres are missing in 2024.

It's working. Other musicians mention these tactics. Especially unison bends full bars and triads.

Even my main guitar is doing that. I got an Epiphone Junior and put a Super distortion in it. Best move I've made in decades.

I highly highly highly recommend the BJA Jr as a platform.

I too was a natural born Bassist. If you look at all the instruments of my past you would notice there was very little wear in the highest registers.

The reason was my thumb position was hurting my cause. Now I got that straight it's on.

I even got compared by the producer who just met me to Lesley frickin Buckingham.

I could see that one of the homies in the band wasn't feeling this compliment as he's used to gathering all the highest compliments.

He just went WHO! Peter Green! I was full tripping at that moment.

I fuckin love Peter Green. That's my fuckin guy. He said no the other guy.  I went a looked later which I usually wouldn't ever do for fear of influence.

It was fuckin true. I been not believing in myself since 1991
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:42:11 AM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #495 on: March 20, 2024, 11:44:14 AM »
To be honest I want my Squire Supersonic back. Or my G&L that got stolen.

The Squire Supersonic was one of the best platforms I ever had. Unfortunately a Nazi skinhead smashed that and my drum set in 1995?.

I wasn't there for it as I heard those assholieans was in the house waiting to hear me play.
Fuck that shit. I'm not playing for y'all ever.

I'm glad they hate me
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 12:07:45 PM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #496 on: March 21, 2024, 12:53:57 PM »

Any thoughts on this?
Rip your father

I would say fix your Gretsch first

nothing's been the since same

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #497 on: March 22, 2024, 08:38:01 AM »
Expand Quote

Any thoughts on this?
[close]

Even my main guitar is doing that. I got an Epiphone Junior and put a Super distortion in it. Best move I've made in decades.

I highly highly highly recommend the BJA Jr as a platform.

The super distortion is a pickup right? What is BJA Jr?

The Gretch belonged to...what is your grandma's brother? Grand uncle?
Anyways, as far as the family knows he bought it new in the 50s' and played it quite a bit throughout his life.
I'd like to get it up and running but I don't wanna beat on it too hard, and it's missing some parts but I'd really like to source the most period correct possible replacements (if not original). My aunt had the tuning pegs replaced at some point and they're just cheap, stratocaster style pegs that don't fit the aesthetic of the guitar at all. Also missing a few knobs and badly in need of a tune-up.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #498 on: March 22, 2024, 11:16:34 AM »
My reading comprehension is trash.

I too lost my father not long ago. We had a complex relationship. Right before he passed he got me an amp head. It's an original blue voodoo 120. The amp my best friend passed away with.
I always had the cab. Which no lie is the best birch V30 loaded cab I've ever heard.

We all know the bv120 is a middle grade head but it's the personal history involved here that matters . And it fills my heart with joy that he understood that about me. That's what really matters in this storyline.

Rip to our dads yo.
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: April 06, 2024, 09:10:39 AM »
I been thinking. I wonder what happened to Jake's guitar? I would be very stoked to find out as I'd like to play it. Maybe buy it
(A)pl(E)

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #500 on: April 11, 2024, 02:26:01 AM »
Just popping in to say fuuuuuck Floyd Rose.  Picked up a used Dean with the FR bridge system yesterday, turns out I lost/never received one of those tiny ass string locking block inserts.  Spend literally 2-3hrs trying to find a small piece of anything that would work, but nothing would keep the string locked in.  Ended up having to order a set of 6 off Amazon for $20.  And still have no idea how to actually adjust it so the action isn’t high af.  Never again.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: April 11, 2024, 01:41:35 PM »
Just popping in to say fuuuuuck Floyd Rose.  Picked up a used Dean with the FR bridge system yesterday, turns out I lost/never received one of those tiny ass string locking block inserts.  Spend literally 2-3hrs trying to find a small piece of anything that would work, but nothing would keep the string locked in.  Ended up having to order a set of 6 off Amazon for $20.  And still have no idea how to actually adjust it so the action isn’t high af.  Never again.

@Coastal Fever - dude! I had the very same thoughts and feelings when I got my jackson with the FR bridge. in fact, I'm pretty sure most first time floyd rose bridge users feel that way. yes, they are extremely frustrating at first, but believe me, once you get it properly set up they are incredible. I had to take mine to a buddy to properly set it up but I'm so glad I did.

do yourself a favor and take some time to watch this video to properly set it up. do you have a locking nut? after you get everything set up and the strings locked at the nut, you only tune using the tuners on the bridge. do not give up on them!

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #502 on: April 11, 2024, 04:39:53 PM »

I agree with you. Fuck Floyd. I am able to set um up. Mines made of a few different versions. My Ibanez s is immortal. Also it plays in drop A no prob. It's very short too.

Look up the model and there's videos of trems on YouTube. I was thinking of replacing mine but I don't use a trem in this band. My vibrato is all bends and over the nut wiggles in scumbari. I wanna put a bigsby on my Jr. I'm probably going to trapeze instead. I play below the bridge on a few tunes. Doing that part above the nut is meh. Too far from the pickups. I have no choice playing the Jr now. I don't like my LP copy anymore. I have no case for the semi hollow. It's a bummer.

Check what I got today. $50 alder strat body. Now I just gotta figure out a neck. Prep this shit. I might refinish. I'm stoked that I don't gotta fill the pickup leg spring routes. I'm mounting a pg13 mini humbucker pickup at an angle right into the top. No springs. Evh style. But Paul Gilbert? Mr big.

I'm going to build a traditional 50s style Sss pick guard later. Rn it's about gain. Single humbucker.

I am heading into Texas Blues more and more every day. The end goal would be get a ripping blues band going. Really make it crazy. Like spaz backing SRV. But also SRV backing spazz because it's a split set show.

Blackened single coil crust blues violence. Very heavy on the blues part. Think Freddy King playing for like Infest but more like on the Bluesy side than blasting. I wanna build up to that blast beat like pink Floyd. Make it happen faster. 3 minutes or less.

Now I gotta find the right neck. It could take years. I hope not. I gotta get what I can. I'm hoping on finding a baseball bat. Maple board quarter sawn whatever neck.

I'll take whatever I can find till I can cop something nice.

I'm starting a guitar shop rn. Trashfire custom shop. Bolt on gold for the poor. I'm gonna hook up a few of my homies who tour and record and get customers like that.

Who made you that crazy partscaster? Trash Fire Customs outa Salem.

Watch me attack this double set Yo.
(A)pl(E)

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #503 on: April 14, 2024, 12:58:41 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Sawtooth Guitars? Specifically, the Sawtooth ST-M24. Its basically a super strat. Maple neck... I found one used (but in mint condition) for $125. Online they range anywhere from $200 - $400, so the price range is a little all over the place.

Does anyone have any experience with these guitars?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: April 14, 2024, 03:43:58 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Sawtooth Guitars? Specifically, the Sawtooth ST-M24. Its basically a super strat. Maple neck... I found one used (but in mint condition) for $125. Online they range anywhere from $200 - $400, so the price range is a little all over the place.

Does anyone have any experience with these guitars?

Negative. But maybe we could investigate where theyre making product. You know like we do here at slap about wood shops. Ive been thinking about this a bunch.
Im betting all these Stat copies all comefrom the same hand full of factories. Just like skating.

see the sister blands for comparison
(A)pl(E)

slaab900turbo

• Rep: 6

fineslime

• SLAP Pal

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #507 on: April 18, 2024, 06:42:32 AM »
What bridge is on your strat?
(A)pl(E)

slaab900turbo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #508 on: April 18, 2024, 06:53:11 AM »
What bridge is on your strat?
It’s a lower end Jazzmaster but it has a strat bridge and tremolo.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #509 on: April 22, 2024, 09:00:31 AM »
https://www.allparts.com/collections/unfinished-guitar-necks/products/allparts-select-licensed-by-fender%C2%AE-aaa-roasted-flame-maple-vin-mod-replacement-neck-for-stratocaster%C2%AE-unfinished-chunky-c-shape?_pos=1&_fid=040b4836f&_ss=c

hwta do The Pals think?

Is it worth it? What im worried about is figuring wont come out with just oil. Should i go a different way? Im def not risking a Chinese neck.
End up having to buy 4 anyway to get a good one.
(A)pl(E)