Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3063038 times)

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2211
Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #38310 on: May 26, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
This made me laugh

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #38311 on: May 30, 2017, 06:06:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Fun fact about Kona: Least fun park in the entire world
[close]

Really? I've always wanted to go there. Why did it suck?
[close]

It's really, really rough and has barely been maintained it seems like. Probably hasn't been pressure washed in over a decade. It's fun to roll around for a few minutes but on modern boards, unless you're Grant Taylor, you aren't going to be doing much. It's very very clear how old it is and what skateboarding was like when it was built. Unless you have giant soft wheels, you end up having to push in what they call a bowl because they built it before they knew what really worked. They have a "street" section that's your typical crappy outdoor skatepark with a wooden pyramid and some quarters and rails and shit but it's not at all worth the drive. Jacksonville just opened a big park along the lines of the Lakeland one that's worth going to, so if you're in the area maybe stop by Kona but you will be disappointed if you go for the skating and not the history.
[close]

I'm honestly going more for the history and nostalgia.  I'm 41 and really not that good anyway.  I remember it being pretty rough the one and only time I went about 20 years ago.  I figured it was still pretty bad.  I did notice that they are trying to prep for a big 40th anniversary thing in a couple weeks and it looks like they've actually been pressure washing and resurfacing a few things.   I'm mostly going to Florida for a quick beach vacation (as Florida seemed to be the only place within driving distance that wasn't calling for thunderstorms this weekend.)  But, if I'm there, I might as well go to Kona for the history, bomb the snake run a couple times and just go wheels down on everything that's still somewhat skateable.  It's not about pulling great tricks (let's face it, considering my ability, that's not going to happen at the best park ever built), it's about rolling where legends have rolled and say I've been there.  For that alone, to me, it's worth it.   The other park you mentioned sounds interesting though.  Could you send me some info on that one?

[close]

I haven't made it out to the new one yet but it's in Jacksonville Beach at a park called Sunshine Park. Team Pain made it so they have info on their site and instagram is already flooded with clips to check out.
[close]

Cool!  I'll try to check it out this weekend!  If you happen to swing by and see a chubby, old dude wobbling around the park doing rock fakies and shaky axle stalls and the occasional manual for more than 4 feet, wearing either a Descendents or Animal Chin shirt and way too many pads, that's probably me.  Say what up!

Kona was fun, but you were right, it is pretty rough.  The street area was in serious need of repairs.  Every manny pad (all wooden) looked like they would shatter if I as much as stepped on them.  The gigantic vert ramp was impressive but was in serious need of recovering.  The sheets were really worn and a bit bumpy at the seams.  The bowl and the big snake run looked to be in pretty good shape.  The snake run was scary as hell but lots of fun.  The 40th anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks so hopefully they will make more repairs.  The mini half with a spine was fun but it had a few soft spots too.  There were quite a few scooter kids there, but they would actually wait their turn and didn't get in the way much.  Still, it's kind of worth the trip just for the old school look and feel of the place. 

Now Sunshine Park (built by Team Pain) was freaking amazing!!!!!!!!   That has to be the smoothest park I've ever ridden!  The little snake run was so much fun.  The big bowl is super fast and smooth and easy to flow around.  The pool in the middle looked to be a bowl riders dream.  Old school pool shape but steep walls and smooth transitions.  Also the street area that circled it was so smooth and each obstacle flowed right to the next.  If you got going right, you could circle the entire place over and over hitting each piece as you went around.  I would recommend going early.  I got there at 7am and there was only about 5 people there (all over the age of 35).  By 10:30 it was pretty crowded.  Also by noon it was nearly 100 degrees so early morning is the way to go!
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #38312 on: May 30, 2017, 07:39:47 AM »
I can finally quit my lousy job as i've gotten the nod from the USPS  :D

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #38313 on: May 30, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »
I can finally quit my lousy job as i've gotten the nod from the USPS  :D

"Helooo, Newman."

Congrats on the job.

kook nukem

« Reply #38314 on: May 30, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »
Skating faster.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #38315 on: May 31, 2017, 07:15:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's really, really rough and has barely been maintained it seems like. Probably hasn't been pressure washed in over a decade. It's fun to roll around for a few minutes but on modern boards, unless you're Grant Taylor, you aren't going to be doing much. It's very very clear how old it is and what skateboarding was like when it was built. Unless you have giant soft wheels, you end up having to push in what they call a bowl because they built it before they knew what really worked. They have a "street" section that's your typical crappy outdoor skatepark with a wooden pyramid and some quarters and rails and shit but it's not at all worth the drive. Jacksonville just opened a big park along the lines of the Lakeland one that's worth going to, so if you're in the area maybe stop by Kona but you will be disappointed if you go for the skating and not the history.
[close]

I'm honestly going more for the history and nostalgia.  I'm 41 and really not that good anyway.  I remember it being pretty rough the one and only time I went about 20 years ago.  I figured it was still pretty bad.  I did notice that they are trying to prep for a big 40th anniversary thing in a couple weeks and it looks like they've actually been pressure washing and resurfacing a few things.   I'm mostly going to Florida for a quick beach vacation (as Florida seemed to be the only place within driving distance that wasn't calling for thunderstorms this weekend.)  But, if I'm there, I might as well go to Kona for the history, bomb the snake run a couple times and just go wheels down on everything that's still somewhat skateable.  It's not about pulling great tricks (let's face it, considering my ability, that's not going to happen at the best park ever built), it's about rolling where legends have rolled and say I've been there.  For that alone, to me, it's worth it.   The other park you mentioned sounds interesting though.  Could you send me some info on that one?

[close]

I haven't made it out to the new one yet but it's in Jacksonville Beach at a park called Sunshine Park. Team Pain made it so they have info on their site and instagram is already flooded with clips to check out.
[close]

Cool!  I'll try to check it out this weekend!  If you happen to swing by and see a chubby, old dude wobbling around the park doing rock fakies and shaky axle stalls and the occasional manual for more than 4 feet, wearing either a Descendents or Animal Chin shirt and way too many pads, that's probably me.  Say what up!
[close]

Kona was fun, but you were right, it is pretty rough.  The street area was in serious need of repairs.  Every manny pad (all wooden) looked like they would shatter if I as much as stepped on them.  The gigantic vert ramp was impressive but was in serious need of recovering.  The sheets were really worn and a bit bumpy at the seams.  The bowl and the big snake run looked to be in pretty good shape.  The snake run was scary as hell but lots of fun.  The 40th anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks so hopefully they will make more repairs.  The mini half with a spine was fun but it had a few soft spots too.  There were quite a few scooter kids there, but they would actually wait their turn and didn't get in the way much.  Still, it's kind of worth the trip just for the old school look and feel of the place. 

Now Sunshine Park (built by Team Pain) was freaking amazing!!!!!!!!   That has to be the smoothest park I've ever ridden!  The little snake run was so much fun.  The big bowl is super fast and smooth and easy to flow around.  The pool in the middle looked to be a bowl riders dream.  Old school pool shape but steep walls and smooth transitions.  Also the street area that circled it was so smooth and each obstacle flowed right to the next.  If you got going right, you could circle the entire place over and over hitting each piece as you went around.  I would recommend going early.  I got there at 7am and there was only about 5 people there (all over the age of 35).  By 10:30 it was pretty crowded.  Also by noon it was nearly 100 degrees so early morning is the way to go!

I'm part of the old squad so I definitely do mornings. I'm usually home by noon due to the combination of crowds and heat. I'm glad you had fun I have high hopes for that place when I finally make it out.

Howie

• Rep: 9
« Reply #38316 on: May 31, 2017, 07:34:06 AM »
Had a job interview today, I think it went well so that's good.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #38317 on: May 31, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
Planning a trip to New Orleans in september with my buds, planning to fly to Nashville for a few days then drive down to New orleans, catch a nfl game, hit up bourbon street, do touristy shit, should be fun.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #38318 on: June 01, 2017, 02:26:08 AM »
things are going well with this girl, that i've first seen
four years ago in class at university and then lost out
of sight until last year. since then we've become close
friends and now there's also the sexual attraction. coo

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #38319 on: June 01, 2017, 05:57:24 AM »
Planning a trip to New Orleans in september with my buds, planning to fly to Nashville for a few days then drive down to New orleans, catch a nfl game, hit up bourbon street, do touristy shit, should be fun.

There's some good spots around Nashville to skate.  A few decent parks too.  Hotel prices are stupid expensive though.  Lots of good food and a lot to do and see.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

shit_for_brains

« Reply #38320 on: June 01, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »

Make sure you get a parade

forthesuburbs

• Rep: -1
« Reply #38321 on: June 01, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »
New job. Also skated for the first time in months yesterday and got a wallride on a chainlink fence  ;D

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #38322 on: June 01, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »
Just moved in to a good place in Mid City LA and I'm loving it. I'm hyped I'm able to comfortably afford it right now because LA prices just keep on going up!

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #38323 on: June 01, 2017, 06:59:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Make sure you get a parade

Hahaha shit, better make sure i have a spare 300 bucks, getting super stoked for this.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #38324 on: June 02, 2017, 02:45:48 AM »
Happy birthday Pizzaland!

Mandatory pizza for dinner today.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

kook nukem

« Reply #38325 on: June 03, 2017, 03:02:02 PM »
Moving to Portland early next year.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38326 on: June 07, 2017, 07:55:46 PM »
I'm one week away from this semester finishing. I cracked a bunch of environmental jokes today in class and at the end of the day my crush hit me up for my number. She wants to take me on a hike Tuesday after the final.
I feel like a dipshit little kid right now.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

kook nukem

« Reply #38327 on: June 07, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's some good spots around Nashville to skate.  A few decent parks too.  Hotel prices are stupid expensive though.  Lots of good food and a lot to do and see.
AirBnB, my dude. Also, I'm stoked on scoring a copy of Penal Code on DVD. Best video!

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #38328 on: June 08, 2017, 05:58:45 AM »
i beat my dad in shooting league for the first time this week. i also beat every other person in the league, but ive never beat him until now, so thats what im stoked on.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #38329 on: June 08, 2017, 06:05:18 AM »
You should have him sign a document stating that your dick is bigger than his

shark tits

« Reply #38330 on: June 08, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
i learned how to grow shiitakes today. you get these wooden plugs w/ shiitake spores or the stage after spores and drill holes into logs then hammer the plug in. melt beeswax over it to preserve the sterile crime scene and return in a yr to find that the shiitakes have eaten the logs into compost and become mushrooms.
also, went thermonuclear war against some aesthetic bushes in my yard and got a raspberry and a few honeyberry plants to put in their place. green strawberries, blueberries and mulberries are sprouting and slowly but surely i'm making my yard edible. like candyland w/out the refined sugar.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #38331 on: June 08, 2017, 08:12:05 PM »
i learned how to grow shiitakes today. you get these wooden plugs w/ shiitake spores or the stage after spores and drill holes into logs then hammer the plug in.
fuck yeah! the area I live in at the moment is famous for shiitake so I see those logs everywhere. grow some big arse shiitake steaks for yourself!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #38332 on: June 09, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »
You should have him sign a document stating that your dick is bigger than his

I'm getting a plaque made for the end of the season

Smerdyakov

• Rep: 15
« Reply #38333 on: June 09, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just skate Emerson

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #38334 on: June 10, 2017, 12:56:56 AM »
Stepped on my skateboard yesterday first time for a sesh after rolling my ankle a few weeks ago. I can skate but still need to recover a little bit better.

Also, on the bus to prague right now, gonna stay for the weekend. In 2 weeks I have a "inspiration trip" with my team mates at adidas, to somewhere in europe we havent decided yet. Looking forward to it.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #38335 on: June 10, 2017, 01:55:16 AM »
^you're gonna have your board with you?
you definitely gotta check out stalin plaza.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38336 on: June 10, 2017, 02:09:47 AM »
Stepped on my skateboard yesterday first time for a sesh after rolling my ankle a few weeks ago. I can skate but still need to recover a little bit better.

Also, on the bus to prague right now, gonna stay for the weekend. In 2 weeks I have a "inspiration trip" with my team mates at adidas, to somewhere in europe we havent decided yet. Looking forward to it.

vienna!

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #38337 on: June 10, 2017, 06:26:30 AM »
Somethingmustbreaknow, I dont have my board with me sadly, my foot actually swollen again after yesterday session. And its my girlfriend birthday so it would suck for her to go skate and she's just there just staring at me. But I plan to go check the spot just out of curiosity.

Hercules, actually somebody threw vienna on the table when we were discussing about it. In the end may be it!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38338 on: June 10, 2017, 08:36:38 AM »
good sesh with 2 homies today, after multiple solo sessions, skating alone sucks sometimes, totally exhausted and happy now, with beers and weed

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #38339 on: June 10, 2017, 06:37:10 PM »
- not in hospital anymore
- spent $100 or so at the organic markets yesterday

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year