Author Topic: things you are stoked on  (Read 3059772 times)

blurst_of_times

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
Re: things you are stoked on
« Reply #41850 on: September 24, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »
New star at First Ave in Minneapolis:
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

animalflesh

« Reply #41851 on: September 25, 2020, 04:29:58 AM »
Got offered a job at Von trapp brewing one of my favorite breweries

They’re giving me a car too

No more collecting money from bars and restaurants

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41852 on: September 25, 2020, 08:56:40 AM »
I have the kind of relationship with my daughter where she can playfully flip me the bird and we can both laugh about it.

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #41853 on: September 25, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
Learned fs and bs slappies today. Very stoked.
Found an air hockey table top by a dumpster. Metal edges and grinds/slides. Pretty stoked on that, too.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #41854 on: September 25, 2020, 10:19:04 PM »
Grateful for it all

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1925
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #41855 on: September 26, 2020, 01:02:35 AM »
Landed 360 flips for the first time in 15+ years, did a heck of a lot of research and just went for them today. Managed to skate a flatground spot with slick floors which definitely helped. Landed 5-6 out of 40, went 3 straight at 1 point before the lactic acid was too much. Catching with my legs too close together and jumping way too far ahead of my board, but lord that feeling of landing was indescribable. Finally learned BS Kickflips this year too, I finally have 2 tricks I'm inconsistent at for clutch use in SKATE.

I have the kind of relationship with my daughter where she can playfully flip me the bird and we can both laugh about it.

Got offered a job at Von trapp brewing one of my favorite breweries

They’re giving me a car too

No more collecting money from bars and restaurants

Shalom-iest things I've read so far.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #41856 on: September 26, 2020, 07:35:33 AM »
Landed 360 flips for the first time in 15+ years, did a heck of a lot of research and just went for them today. Managed to skate a flatground spot with slick floors which definitely helped. Landed 5-6 out of 40, went 3 straight at 1 point before the lactic acid was too much. Catching with my legs too close together and jumping way too far ahead of my board, but lord that feeling of landing was indescribable. Finally learned BS Kickflips this year too, I finally have 2 tricks I'm inconsistent at for clutch use in SKATE.

Rocklobster that's so sick. What trick tips worked for you?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41857 on: September 26, 2020, 09:41:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This post from silhouette made the difference for me:
Also for those struggling with 360 flips, yesterday at the park I taught two kids how to land their first ones, they had that typical problem of being hunched over the nose so the board would stay behind them. By breaking down the correct posture and alignment for them I realized a good indicator that I've always subconsciously used but never really defined that helped them get their landings instantly, basically before you pop you need to be sitting just as far back (and with a straight back) as so that the knee on your front leg is past your face. Looking straight down your face and vision should be focused on your thigh and nothing past your knee. If you're seeing anything past your knee then the board probably won't go in front of you because you're too hunched over. That fixes your position in a way so that your center of gravity is properly adjusted to the motions of the trick and you can basically just sit through the execution as the board stays under you while flipping (as long as you don't do anything funny with your shoulders and keep them square). I guess the same stands for impossibles as well although I've always just done the latter without overthinking its execution nearly as much.

Couple of other things I picked up:
1) had to unlearn decades of bad practices - foot in the tail pocket, front foot does 25% of the work, back foot does the remaining 75%
2) had to get my front foot really far back, like on the back 50% of the deck, and i kept it really pointy almost like I was doing a mob flip like Greco demonstrates in the old Transworld video
3) front foot does 5-10% of the trick, back foot does the 90-95% of the work
4) keeping my posture upright and my shoulders somewhat parallel with the board, dip you head and the board ends up behind you.
5) focus on jumping up instead of forward, my back foot was shoving with the force of 1000 suns but I jumping 2 feet in front of it
6) back foot on the tip of the tail, find the sweet spot between the pocket and the tip of the tail ( , Ben Degros shows photos of the preferred foot position)
7) back foot scoops down and forward, my friend mentioned thinking of it like you're drawing a "J" with your back foot, I only found this out towards the end of my session and my legs were gone, but it really help with getting a more consistent and controlled rotation and flip, I landed on the deck and fell off a couple of time which is still better than me trying and my board ending up 1/2 way to China
8) some guy saw me struggling with them yesterday and advised me to work on getting more tail scrape into the 360 flip, you know the kind that has your tail rubbing hard against the ground and it sounds like you get the digging sound, it offers less height and are easier to catch, either way thinking of getting a solid pop and way less ghost pop.

Also, stop saying good stuff to me. I'm already stressing I won't be able to land them next session.

Need to work on keeping my feet spread apart, I either land over my front bolts / nose like a eunuch, or over the center of my board, like a eunuch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #41858 on: September 26, 2020, 10:46:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This post from silhouette made the difference for me:
Expand Quote
Also for those struggling with 360 flips, yesterday at the park I taught two kids how to land their first ones, they had that typical problem of being hunched over the nose so the board would stay behind them. By breaking down the correct posture and alignment for them I realized a good indicator that I've always subconsciously used but never really defined that helped them get their landings instantly, basically before you pop you need to be sitting just as far back (and with a straight back) as so that the knee on your front leg is past your face. Looking straight down your face and vision should be focused on your thigh and nothing past your knee. If you're seeing anything past your knee then the board probably won't go in front of you because you're too hunched over. That fixes your position in a way so that your center of gravity is properly adjusted to the motions of the trick and you can basically just sit through the execution as the board stays under you while flipping (as long as you don't do anything funny with your shoulders and keep them square). I guess the same stands for impossibles as well although I've always just done the latter without overthinking its execution nearly as much.
[close]

Couple of other things I picked up:
1) had to unlearn decades of bad practices - foot in the tail pocket, front foot does 25% of the work, back foot does the remaining 75%
2) had to get my front foot really far back, like on the back 50% of the deck, and i kept it really pointy almost like I was doing a mob flip like Greco demonstrates in the old Transworld video
3) front foot does 5-10% of the trick, back foot does the 90-95% of the work
4) keeping my posture upright and my shoulders somewhat parallel with the board, dip you head and the board ends up behind you.
5) focus on jumping up instead of forward, my back foot was shoving with the force of 1000 suns but I jumping 2 feet in front of it
6) back foot on the tip of the tail, find the sweet spot between the pocket and the tip of the tail ( , Ben Degros shows photos of the preferred foot position)
7) back foot scoops down and forward, my friend mentioned thinking of it like you're drawing a "J" with your back foot, I only found this out towards the end of my session and my legs were gone, but it really help with getting a more consistent and controlled rotation and flip, I landed on the deck and fell off a couple of time which is still better than me trying and my board ending up 1/2 way to China
8) some guy saw me struggling with them yesterday and advised me to work on getting more tail scrape into the 360 flip, you know the kind that has your tail rubbing hard against the ground and it sounds like you get the digging sound, it offers less height and are easier to catch, either way thinking of getting a solid pop and way less ghost pop.

Also, stop saying good stuff to me. I'm already stressing I won't be able to land them next session.

Need to work on keeping my feet spread apart, I either land over my front bolts / nose like a eunuch, or over the center of my board, like a eunuch.

Rad. I wish silhouette had his own Q&A trick tips thread.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41859 on: September 26, 2020, 10:51:55 AM »
The Basis Ass Tricks That Piss You off is basically him and @tzhangdox dropping knowledge bombs on us.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #41860 on: September 29, 2020, 09:02:04 AM »
Hate to derail the tre-bomb train, but...

Every day I teach, about 15 minutes before class, my nerves stimulate a massive, bowel-voiding shit, which means:
a) I am voiding my bowels quite regularly
b) I get to lead class with empty bowel confidence

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #41861 on: September 29, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
The Basis Ass Tricks That Piss You off is basically him and @tzhangdox dropping knowledge bombs on us.

lol except unlike me, silhouette is actually good at skating.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #41862 on: September 29, 2020, 01:05:13 PM »
Muska re-issues, yet... just run a shit ton of them. They will sell.

(not stoked on collectors buying them all, straight to eBay)

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #41863 on: September 29, 2020, 04:03:00 PM »
Built my first computer today, that was fun

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41864 on: September 29, 2020, 06:15:19 PM »
Found about 300 dollars cash in my coinbase account.

I had no idea that shit was there, so basically, I don't have to stress over the 200 dollars I wasted on an unexpected bill this month.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41865 on: September 29, 2020, 06:18:34 PM »
Built my first computer today, that was fun

Nice, what did you build? I rebuilt my PC earlier this year at the start of lockdown, went from 5L to 15L mini-ITX case.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

girlfriendplease

• Rep: -22
  • i can shuv it, 5050, bslide, kickflip, and nocompl
« Reply #41866 on: September 29, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »
eating apples in the bathtub
i care

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #41867 on: September 30, 2020, 04:00:34 PM »
Its my 30th birthday. Had a dope ass breakfast and went skating. So not a bad start.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #41868 on: September 30, 2020, 06:18:20 PM »
Its my 30th birthday. Had a dope ass breakfast and went skating. So not a bad start.
Happy birthday! I would say you're over the hill, but the hill has moved so it's good to get out there because you're still young. Hope your session was rad.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41869 on: September 30, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »

Welcome to the 30s club, some things get better, some things get worse.

The stuff I bought from @Sundaynuggets and @art hellman finally landed on my side of the globe! So much stuff to unbox!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Yu Dum

« Reply #41870 on: October 01, 2020, 10:28:31 AM »
Today is my first wedding anniversary.   ;D

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1226
« Reply #41871 on: October 01, 2020, 06:11:39 PM »

^ the exchange in the comments between kosick and paulo, even if nothing comes of it, dope that everyone is so connected...sometimes

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #41872 on: October 01, 2020, 07:15:53 PM »
Spontaneously bought a tenor saxophone today. I played in high school band but could never afford one of my own after graduating but I went to a used music shop today and they happened to have had a nice one for a decent price. I have a really shitty alto sax that sorta held me over, but it feels really nice to be back to my actual first instrument and to still actually be able to play it!

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #41873 on: October 01, 2020, 08:04:45 PM »
Thats legit Unknown Soldier. Certain that moment when you picked up the Sax at the music shop, just felt so right. Can you still read music? And prior to joining high school band, did you play the instrument & took lessons? Or at school first exposure?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1957
« Reply #41874 on: October 02, 2020, 06:04:17 AM »
Thats legit Unknown Soldier. Certain that moment when you picked up the Sax at the music shop, just felt so right. Can you still read music? And prior to joining high school band, did you play the instrument & took lessons? Or at school first exposure?

I can still sorta read music, at least basic stuff. Truth be told I was never super good at it in high school but I can at least read notes and key signatures. I actually started sax and guitar around the same time in 7th grade but guitar stuck more for me. I'm mostly just stoked from a songwriting perspective because I like writing songs with accompaniments outside of the typical rock band instrumentation and I think saxophones are the coolest sounding horn.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #41875 on: October 02, 2020, 06:19:56 AM »

A belated happy birthday to you! September 30th is my birthday too. Just turned 31. Glad you had a good one. I got to skate as well. The weather was glorious as was my spliff.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #41876 on: October 02, 2020, 06:25:03 AM »
Gas station fried chicken and play hooky from work. I tweaked my ankle and was in pain, but enough Advil and I can walk around, but that was my excuse.

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #41877 on: October 02, 2020, 11:01:06 AM »
October. Favorite month of the year by far. Weather is starting to cool, but still warm. First north swells start to roll in. Good offshore fishing still. Tourists are gone, locals rule the roost in the line up and at the parks. Local fall releases at the breweries. It’s lovely.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #41878 on: October 02, 2020, 01:57:39 PM »
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41879 on: October 02, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »
Jim T. hooked it the fuck up  thanks again buddy!
2 Thunders 148's hollow and standard team editions
3 sets of wheels  52mm & 53mm Classics and Krooked cruiser wheels
Some stickers and wax along with a mask.. which I'm hyped for.

Dueces Bitch's